pyschomav is offline Junior Member

Fractured Shin/Cardio????

I recently found out i have a fractured shin. And I need to keep up my cardio! Does anyone know any excerises that I can do other than running? And to help either strengthen my shins or prevent this from happening again.

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyschomav
    I recently found out i have a fractured shin. And I need to keep up my cardio! Does anyone know any excerises that I can do other than running? And to help either strengthen my shins or prevent this from happening again.
    stationary bike

WEBB is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    maybe the precore as you dont do any stepping down. sorry to hear that, how'd it happen?

I fractured it in practice i think. I train in Muay Thai as well as Ju Jitsu but i went to go to the kicking bag one day and hit it and noticed alot of pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBBNB
    maybe the precore as you dont do any stepping down. sorry to hear that, how'd it happen?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    if you have to do cardio bike would be best because you body weight won't be adding and more stress to the fracture. you canalso give the eliptical aw whirl,it is lower impacr then treadmill, but still you have the body weight issue.light walking on a treadmill, again i wouldn't recomend it, but its alot better than running outside(very bad on the joints and i am sure it would agravate any fracture. BUT i saved the best for last. best overall full body, cardio that will zero force on the fracture, swimming!!

Response

Thanks alot DOC. Yai was thinking about swimming. I have a pool in my backyard. I can do laps in so. Basically stick to bike and swimming. Any supplements or pills to help accelerate the healing process or just time?

Thanks alot DOC. Yai was thinking about swimming. I have a pool in my backyard. I can do laps in so. Basically stick to bike and swimming. Any supplements or pills to help accelerate the healing process or just time?
    drink alot of milk. it can't hurt.calcium products and vitamin d to help absorption, but in all seriuosness, rest is what will help the most. these answers are off the top of my head, let me do some research and i will see if i can think of some other ideas.

Response

Thanks DOC! Ya man if you have any more ideas or helpful tips im all ears. I also too have been looking on the internet for some info. Thanks man.

Thanks DOC! Ya man if you have any more ideas or helpful tips im all ears. I also too have been looking on the internet for some info. Thanks man.
    no problem! glad to help.

liftergirl is offline Female Member
    Rowing is also a great cardio exercise....but when you're doing it, make sure you arent putting too much resistance on your tibia/fibula (shin). I agree with Dr Sust....swimming and eliptical exercises are great ones too! I've had patients who are going through rehab for fractures of the foot, ankle, knee, femur, etc...who are trying to keep their cardio up and have had good luck at all of these three exercises. Just be super careful about not putting too much force on your lower leg! Good luck!

Response

Thanks Liftergirl, Do you know if I should take Calcium and Iron pills to help accelerate the healing process? Anything else that can help heal this faster? I heard that putting on Rubbing alcohol will help it before I go to bed? I have not been doing cardio at all so well see, thanks for the info guys? Anything else related is welcome.

I cant speak secifically for your injury, but in general, bone healing will definatley not be hurt by having calcium and vit d supplements....Iron supplements though-- haven't heard that as much. The rubbing alcohol---havent heard of that one. Good bone healing in general requires good nutrition....like, magnesium is requried for proper incorporation of calcium into bone; vit K, A, B12, etc are also all important....so make sure you're taking a good multivitamin as well. Stay away from asprin and other antiinflammatory meds...they can decrease the rate of bone healing in general. Good luck~

Response

Oh my goodness. Thank you for the information. So Ill be taking Vitamin k, a b12 magnesium, calicium. or a Multivitamin. OR should i buy each one separate and take those. Getting vitamins is a sinch for me. I get em free so. thaks for the input.

I'd say taking a multivitamin (prenatals are best) as well as a an extra tab of calcium with vit d would suffie. Getting extra vit k, b12 and magnesium by extra tabs is not needed....but eating foods rich in those would be good....but would be overkill and dangerous to take extra tabs. The amount in prenatals is more than enough!

Quote Originally Posted by liftergirl
    I'd say taking a multivitamin (prenatals are best) as well as a an extra tab of calcium with vit d would suffie. Getting extra vit k, b12 and magnesium by extra tabs is not needed....but eating foods rich in those would be good....but would be overkill and dangerous to take extra tabs. The amount in prenatals is more than enough!
    agreed!!!!!

psychomav--how are you doing?

Response

So far I think ive been doing well. My cardio is drastically gone down. But Still do the bike. I can feel the gap closing. I ve taking these "Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc" pills? is that good? I couldnt find the prenatals? Are those special order ones or can you find those at a grocery store or Vitamin Shoppe? Its been a month so far. Do you know or estimate what the healing time is? I think i heard 3 month. I have a tournament coming up in February - Mid February....if that helps? ya so i can know when i can start running again! thanks Liftergirl. Take Care.

feel the gap closing???? what do you mean?

as far as prenatals....you can find them at the grocery store or walmart or vitamin shoppe. ask a pharmacy tech to show you where they are at.....a lot of bb use them....they shouldnt give you any slack for asking.

i'd say you are doing well. it's a hard thing to get rid of. keep up the bike! are you swimming? elyptical? rower?

as far as restarting running....do you have any pain when you walk or do weight bearing on the leg? when you were told you had a fracture....did they do xrays or tell you which bone was broken???

keep it up! you're doing great! take care!

Thread Information