pyschomab is offline Associate Member

Exclamation HELP PLEASE! cauliflower ear !!!!!!!!!

K I do MMA! and well i dont wear headgear and i just got cauliflower ear i mean puffed up a little and hurts so i dont care to much ive had it before but ive keep wrestling and fighting now its ****en humongus! i mean its ****en huge! the blood clot is starting to go in my ear and I dont have insurance so i cant get it drained! i do have syringes from my wonderful ababolics! im thinking of draining it myself! if anyone has any knowledge on how to drain your ear yourself tell me! i need that info now!

liftergirl is offline Female Member
    you need to see a dr so they can drain it and then also make sure the skin gets reattached to the cartilage; may need stitches depending on the size. if you drain it yourself, it could easily get infected and also cause it to be worse than it will be if you dont do anything at all. if you go to an urgent care clinic, or even contact your primary dr, they can work something out with you, i'm sure! Just steer clear of draining it yourself!

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Definitely see a doctor.. I wouldnt drain it myself.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    i have drained literally DOZENS of my cauliflouedness over the years.

YES, you can do it. Just be very clean about it. Just pretend you were injecting in your ass, and use the the same cleanliness measures. Drain it ASAP!

Dont even wait a day. If the fluid composition is mostly blood, it can harden...fast. Sometimes you just have clearish yellow fluid in there with a little blood and those can go for up to 5 days before they harden.
    It will hurt. it will burn. But once the needle is through the skin, it should slide in. I have used 22 gauge needles in my ear and ones as small as dental needles. The more hardened and longer you wait, the larger gauge you must use to drain it. If you wait to long, only a 20 gauage needel may work instead of like a 23. If the fluid/blood gets thick, even a large needle may not work.
    Things to remember: When draining, the initial penetration is the hardest. The skin will actaully seem too tough to penetrate, and may even "crunch" as you push through. But keep pushing. it will sting, and burn, but you can get through. Once in, gently maneuver the needle around and get into the diffent chambers if there are more than one. Angle the needle accordingly and suck out the juice. On pulling back on the plunger, you may have to use force if the fluid/blood is thick. This may hurt.
    Also, when the fluid is near drained, expect pain, becuase the needle will be sucking the inside ear skin once the fluid is drained. You may even hear a slurp with this. Rmemeber, dont freak if you hear "crunching" and "slurping" as your doing any of the sticking or draining. This is just because everything that is happening is s close to your ear drum, that your hearing all the little sounds. Try to ignore them, cuz they make the pain seem worse.
    Upon completion of draining, pinch around your ear and make sure its empty. Then, keep it pinced for 10 minutes hard to keep the skin and cartelege together. Then, attach gauge and clothspins to your ears to keep it pinched. You have to keep it pinched so it doesnt fill back up again. Sometimes you will have to drain, and redrain. Try to sleep with the clothespins on and rap dressing around your head to keep the ear from flopping around with the clothespins on.
    Draining yourself is hard sometimes, it will be trying.You may even sweat from the streass and the burning pain. But remmeber, your a tough guy, in a tough sport. You can handle this.
    It gets better the more you do it. you just have to buckle down. Sometimes it can even be fun. Sometimes it just plain hurts though, but dont make it worse then it is. Some days you will find the skin on the ears easier to prick then other days, and some days it just wont go in. You just have to keep pushin.
    Hope this helps.
    I know...it sucks. i feel ya.

oh. plus you cant grapple for a week if you want it to heal. Work on your striking during this time and just drill moves without involog anthing near your head, and wear headgear w/ extrapadding untill fully healed...a few weeks.

I got drunk and i drained MOST of it! it was like watery / clearish with a hint of blood! rather painless exept for the initial prick! ill just let the rest harden! but next one im draining good!

Quote Originally Posted by pyschomab
    I got drunk and i drained MOST of it! it was like watery / clearish with a hint of blood! rather painless exept for the initial prick! ill just let the rest harden! but next one im draining good!
    so you got most of the fluid out? Good. and im glad to hear its clear. That means less actaul trauma has occured. Now keep that baby compressed!

if it starts to get at all inflamed or painful, you need to see a doctor!....also, try to consult with one when you get a chance as far as the draining process is concerned.

will do!

MuckDog is offline Senior Member
    wow - that whole process sounds like a lot of fun

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    i have noticed that half of those guys on that Ultimate Fighter show have the couliflower ear.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    best of luck, let us know how your procedure goes and if you have any side effects. now i don't want to sound like a recomend this, but a while back i had no health innsurance and i had to perform a procedure on myself that a dermatologist should have done, long story short, i ended up with a nasty infection. be careful, and first sign of infection, call someone.

****! everything seems to come in contact with my ear! ive drained it 3 times now! every time it keeps coming back! ive used clothes pins and guaze right now its only back a little! each time ive drained it the liquid is darker and more bloody! my last drainage i took 3'ccs of this wonderful bloody fliud out of my ear! and i had to stick myself with the syringe 8 times before i actualy got in right to draw the liqiud lots of bleeding! quite annoying! i wipe the ear down with alchohol pads every so often! again its only a little in right now! im just going to let this little bit harden oh well! but my ears pretty sensative at this moment! i seem to some how manage to accidently hit it every so often!

ok ok! im going to drain it again! and see if i can make this work! right after im going to put clothes pins on those (****en hurt!) by the way - to let you all know im using plenty of betadine and alchohol pads and when i drain it i use a new needle every time,

should i take like IBUPROFEN or some anti-inflammatory would that help with it NOT coming back????!

I do appreciate all this info! without you gusy i would have a huge ****en hard ear by now and thanks anabolicboy1981 for that fun process description! im glad i can at least drain the dam thing!
    Last edited by pyschomab; 10-24-2005 at 05:43 PM.

if you can use a bunch of gauze and then foam or paper tape to wrap it....kind of forming a pressure bandage instead of the clothespins??? just a thought....

ok 4th drain! i think i got it down this time! i pinched it so all fluid was out! put a cotton ball on my ear! had a clothes pin and bent the wire so it didnt apply PAINFUL pressure! its on right now! looks good for now! ill keep it on for the rest of the day! and get back to you guys tommorrow! only thing im worried about is going to sleep! i have an old highschool football helmet maybe i should wear that!

ok 4th drain! i think i got it down this time! i pinched it so all fluid was out! put a cotton ball on my ear! had a clothes pin and bent the wire so it didnt apply PAINFUL pressure! its on right now! looks good for now! ill keep it on for the rest of the day! and get back to you guys tommorrow! only thing im worried about is going to sleep! i have an old highschool football helmet maybe i should wear that!
    i can picture you sleeping in a football helmet!man talk about a fcked up way to sleep!!!good luck w that.

OK football helmet didnt help much woke up every 30 mins! pretty lame! so i took it off! but i had my ear wrapped! had a cotton ball soaked in betadine in my ear! it hardened and like kept my ear pretty good for the light bandage around it, the prvious day i woke up and my ear was 80% back to the way it was when it was all ****ed up today it was probably 8% so thats a major improvement!i just have to lay off it for now! ! ear is a little sore but not worrys! i think this worked out and cost me almost no money!

OK football helmet didnt help much woke up every 30 mins! pretty lame! so i took it off! but i had my ear wrapped! had a cotton ball soaked in betadine in my ear! it hardened and like kept my ear pretty good for the light bandage around it, the prvious day i woke up and my ear was 80% back to the way it was when it was all ****ed up today it was probably 8% so thats a major improvement!i just have to lay off it for now! ! ear is a little sore but not worrys! i think this worked out and cost me almost no money!
    i new that helmet would screw you!!hahaha!! glad your half ass minor surgery worked for the better. good job!! kids, don't try this at home/

:

should i take like IBUPROFEN or some anti-inflammatory would that help with it NOT coming back????!
    Dont take anti inflamatories. Tough they arent all like aspirin, they all have a slight bloodthinning effect.

Sorry to hear your having to drain it so much. I been there. The most i drained one ear is 6 times. That was during a season of wrestling though. For your situation, i dont know how often you compete, or when your next competition is, but you may wanna seriously not do any grappling or sparring whatsoever for 3 whole weeks.
    Kick the bag and hit the mits all ya want. I know ya dont wanna hear it, but it all depends on how involved you are in this.
    Do you do just grappling tournaments? Do you shootfight? NHB? When is you next match/fight?
    Persoanlly, if i were you, i would just lay off it if your not in shootfiging or NHB. You can go into a grappling match less than perfectly trained and not get hurt. For competition with strikes, yeah, you wanna have al your bases covered, cuz you can get hurt if not prepared. So in that case you would have to keep training and tip toing around that ear, and do the best you can, running the possibility of the ear not healing completely and never being the same. But if your a fighter your a fighter, and thats how it is.
    But if your a grappler, or your not looking to make thuis your living, just take some time off, and come back ina few weeks with a headgear, ALWAYS.
    Its just not worth having deformed ears if your not a fighter.
    Cuz then every time a chick turnes ya down, you'll always be like, i wonder if its cuz i have ****ed up ears in the back of your mind,lol. Seriosly though,thats not a thought that bothers you if competing was a huge part of your life. but if it was just a side thing, you may feel like an idiot for ****ing your ears up for nothin.
    Food for thought: Getting ear drained by A Doctor, $250
    Getting hardened cauliflour ear fixed by plastic surgin, $1500...PER EAR.

Alls im sayin is ask yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze, for you.

wow

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    i new that helmet would screw you!!hahaha!! glad your half ass minor surgery worked for the better. good job!! kids, don't try this at home/
    exactly! wouldn't recommend trying it on a friend either!!! sounds like it was pretty painful! hope you're doing better

well the ear is hardening up! some of the fluid is coming back but its not coming back like crazy! maybe 25% of what it was ha ha. its already hard not like a bubble full of liquid! well my gf will have to deal with that becuase i dont care as long as it didnt look like the huge mess it did before! omg that was freakish!

pyschomav is offline Junior Member

Response

MUAWAHAHAAA i say just cut your eat off Mike. hahaha I HAD TO DRAIN YOUR EAR!!! THEN YOU TRIED STABBING ME WITH THE SYRINGE HAHA ... YA WE NEED TO START GRAPPLE AGAIN OR LIKE THAT ONE DUDE SAID UP TOP WORK ON OUR STRIKING! THE HILL WASNT THAT BAD TODAY!

your an idiot vacante! anyways to all these other people that care! i have drained my ear 8 times and ya the gauze doesnt work is there something else i can do after i drain it i keep it pinched and everything for hours and once i let it off or when i wake up in the morning its like coming back and its pretty damn annoying!

Response!

Shut Up Bascon! Before I Put You In A Rear Naked Choke Again! Ha

Response

Hurry Up With The Healing Process So We Can Start Grappling Again! Good Luck With Ur Ear ! Cya Tommorrow!

PSYCHOMAV

IDIOT!

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Doctor, son.

My friend had somethin like that in his ear, and they put him under th eknide for about 30 minutes
    A little cut behinf his ear, some cartarizing and stitched up with antibiotics.

painless.

So see a doctor, clotts in the body are not good.

Quote Originally Posted by SnaX
    Doctor, son.

My friend had somethin like that in his ear, and they put him under th eknide for about 30 minutes
    A little cut behinf his ear, some cartarizing and stitched up with antibiotics.

painless.

So see a doctor, clotts in the body are not good.
    what???speak english ,no idea what you are saying

i agree...WHAT are you talking about???
    "Medical advice given on this board can not be case specific, but often times with the injuries/symptoms/etc discussed, this is what is recommended. In order to get it fully evaluated, you should address it with your primary physician or health care provider"

ive drained it for the 9th time! this is a little ridculous! but the ear doesnt anymore as much since i dont do any fighting or contact just alot of cardio and lifting! it still seams to come back! ill keep you all updated until its healed !

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981

Sorry to hear your having to drain it so much. I been there. The most i drained one ear is 6 times. That was during a season of wrestling though. For your situation, i dont know how often you compete, or when your next competition is, but you may wanna seriously not do any grappling or sparring whatsoever for 3 whole weeks.
    Kick the bag and hit the mits all ya want. I know ya dont wanna hear it, but it all depends on how involved you are in this.
    Do you do just grappling tournaments? Do you shootfight? NHB? When is you next match/fight?
    Persoanlly, if i were you, i would just lay off it if your not in shootfiging or NHB. You can go into a grappling match less than perfectly trained and not get hurt. For competition with strikes, yeah, you wanna have al your bases covered, cuz you can get hurt if not prepared. So in that case you would have to keep training and tip toing around that ear, and do the best you can, running the possibility of the ear not healing completely and never being the same. But if your a fighter your a fighter, and thats how it is.
    But if your a grappler, or your not looking to make thuis your living, just take some time off, and come back ina few weeks with a headgear, ALWAYS.
    Its just not worth having deformed ears if your not a fighter.
    Cuz then every time a chick turnes ya down, you'll always be like, i wonder if its cuz i have ****ed up ears in the back of your mind,lol. Seriosly though,thats not a thought that bothers you if competing was a huge part of your life. but if it was just a side thing, you may feel like an idiot for ****ing your ears up for nothin.
    Food for thought: Getting ear drained by A Doctor, $250
    Getting hardened cauliflour ear fixed by plastic surgin, $1500...PER EAR.

Alls im sayin is ask yourself if the juice is worth the squeeze, for you.
    I do Pankration which is MMA without shots to the head pretty much! my style is grappling , brazillian jiu jitsu and im practiciing body strikes! i bought a head gear and that should come in the mail in a week! ive been wrestling for the past 5 years and i dont mind the cauliflower ear but I got in in a wierd spot like it looked like my ear was turned inside out and puffed up bad and covered the ear canal! but ive kept draining it! today it was painless almost fun! i dont mind a little cauliflower ear but ya thanks dude! youve been a total help!

I recently tried to drain my ear again because ive tried to train and just not let it get hit! didnt work to well! I waited a couple of days and tried to drain it for the 11th time, i stuck my ear about 10 times becuase it wouldnt draw with a 23 guage so I went to a 20 gauge and it still wouldnt draw then a ****en painful 18 gauge that still did nothing but cause lots and lots of blood! ya my ear looks so ****ed up! and it wont drain so its beyond repair! well Im going to have ****ed ears for the rest of my life !woopy!

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    pyschomab, YOU ARE ONE CRAZY SOB!

update! my ear is finei and went down a bit but is shriveled and thick and looks like cauliflower ear! I kinda like it!

over a year later! my ear is fine! when it shriveled it lost 40 percent of its size! so it doesnt look that bad! LESSON LEARNED! WEAR HEAD GEAR!

phillifeline is offline New Member
    I Also Do A Bit Of Submission Grappling And Weneva A Colly Comes Up We Jus Drain It Right Away Using An Insulin Syringe, Have To Do It Quick Tho B4 It Hardens Couple Of Days Max

Thread Information