ya_man is offline Member

Ultra Sound on left shoulder

hey boys, been fighting a pain in my left shoulder for a lil over a year now. Went to the docs today, got an appointment for an ultra sound. Doc said it could either be my rotator cuff, the tendon, or something else thats cause this sharp pinching pain in my anterior delt.

Anyone else have this problem before?....feedback...comments?...

thanks boys

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    ultra sound can help, but in my oppinion, deep tissue massage or active release techniques are better. your problem sounds typical of a supraspinatus/ant delt strain or impingememt syndrome.

u can also ice, 20 min 3-5 times a day for the next 2 wks, it will help alot.

ya_man is offline Member
    thanks a lot...im will for sure look into those things...anything so i can lift heavy again

Quote Originally Posted by ya_man
    thanks a lot...im will for sure look into those things...anything so i can lift heavy again
    keep us posted,best wishes

liftergirl is offline Female Member
    good luck...if they do use US, ask about using phonophoresis....basically using topical steroid and then an US on top of it. Some get help with it...good luck! and keep us posted.

ya_man is offline Member
    phonophoresis....how does this work?....a topical steroid ?....have u had this done before?..what does it?...im very interested

sorry. i havent done it myself....i'm a physican, so basically, i have patients go to the physical therapist to get the treatments. There's both phonophoresis (use of US) and iontophoresis (use of electric current)....and i tried to explain both below. keep in mind that both are technically considered investigational, so insurance may or may not pay for it.

Phonophoresis is where Ultrasound (ultrasonic energy) is used to enhance the delivery of topically applied drugs....topical analgesics and anti-inflammatory meds for example.

There's also iontophoresis...it's a way to deliver local transdermal drugs using an electrical current.....scientists have several theories on how it works...varying from using the thought that the current uses sweat ducts, sebaceous glands, hair follicles, and skin imperfections to penetrate the skin....to possibly using the electrical current to alter the skin permeability by creating potential-dependent pores in the lipid membranes. It's used to drive topically appolied meds like NSAIDS or corticosteroids deeper into the skin for musculoskeletal inflammation problems.

Quote Originally Posted by liftergirl
    sorry. i havent done it myself....i'm a physican, so basically, i have patients go to the physical therapist to get the treatments. There's both phonophoresis (use of US) and iontophoresis (use of electric current)....and i tried to explain both below. keep in mind that both are technically considered investigational, so insurance may or may not pay for it.

Phonophoresis is where Ultrasound (ultrasonic energy) is used to enhance the delivery of topically applied drugs....topical analgesics and anti-inflammatory meds for example.

There's also iontophoresis...it's a way to deliver local transdermal drugs using an electrical current.....scientists have several theories on how it works...varying from using the thought that the current uses sweat ducts, sebaceous glands, hair follicles, and skin imperfections to penetrate the skin....to possibly using the electrical current to alter the skin permeability by creating potential-dependent pores in the lipid membranes. It's used to drive topically appolied meds like NSAIDS or corticosteroids deeper into the skin for musculoskeletal inflammation problems.
    great explanation,great detail!!!

ya_man is offline Member

thanks a lot for the information, gives me some heads up when i go in for one,
    i will keep you updates on the outcome, hopefully its not bad...

the doc gave me some APO-NAPROXEN SR at 750 mgs
    are these any good?...what are they?

thanks a lot for the information, gives me some heads up when i go in for one,
    i will keep you updates on the outcome, hopefully its not bad...

the doc gave me some APO-NAPROXEN SR at 750 mgs
    are these any good?...what are they?
    it is a fancy word for "alleeve" an over the counter painkiller.

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    hey boys, been fighting a pain in my left shoulder for a lil over a year now. Went to the docs today, got an appointment for an ultra sound. Doc said it could either be my rotator cuff, the tendon, or something else thats cause this sharp pinching pain in my anterior delt.

Anyone else have this problem before?....feedback...comments?...

thanks boys
    let us know if it's a boy or a girl. thanks.

well... the medicine in aleve and naprosyn are the same stuff....only, the over the counter version comes in 250 mg tabs and the apo-naprosyn are only available with a script and are a higher strength. They are considered "sustained released...thus, the SR)...but overall, the same stuff as OTC.
    "Medical advice given on this board can not be case specific, but often times with the injuries/symptoms/etc discussed, this is what is recommended. In order to get it fully evaluated, you should address it with your primary physician or health care provider"

well... the medicine in aleve and naprosyn are the same stuff....only, the over the counter version comes in 250 mg tabs and the apo-naprosyn are only available with a script and are a higher strength. They are considered "sustained released...thus, the SR)...but overall, the same stuff as OTC.
    know it all!!!!!!

whatever just trying to help
    "Medical advice given on this board can not be case specific, but often times with the injuries/symptoms/etc discussed, this is what is recommended. In order to get it fully evaluated, you should address it with your primary physician or health care provider"

whatever just trying to help
    you do know that i was just kidding?!?!

well, of course!

Thread Information