Thread: Achilles Tendon

DoneThoo2 is offline New Member

Achilles Tendon

It has been a year since I have been in the gym and done a serious work-out do to an Achilled tendon rupture. It still feels different and when I put pressure on it it tingles. And feels tight the next morning even after a light run or work-out. The Dr. says that I should be fine, but I am still a little weary. I had a hernia repair in June and even after a serious ab work-out there is no concern.
    Has anyone experienced this type of injury and if so should I be worried about re-rupture?

Will

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    if i recall correctly, 'lifter girl" may have some good info on how to rehab the achillies tendon along with a story of a crazy doc that tried to intentionally rip his achilies and instead strengthened it .

liftergirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoneThoo2
    It has been a year since I have been in the gym and done a serious work-out do to an Achilled tendon rupture. It still feels different and when I put pressure on it it tingles. And feels tight the next morning even after a light run or work-out. The Dr. says that I should be fine, but I am still a little weary. I had a hernia repair in June and even after a serious ab work-out there is no concern.
    Has anyone experienced this type of injury and if so should I be worried about re-rupture?

Will
    did you have surgery to repair it?
    "Medical advice given on this board can not be case specific, but often times with the injuries/symptoms/etc discussed, this is what is recommended. In order to get it fully evaluated, you should address it with your primary physician or health care provider"

DoneThoo2 is offline New Member
    Yes I did have it surgically repaired. About 6 days after the ruture. I was in a toe down cast for 4 weeks. Then a toe nuetral cast for another 4 weeks. Then a walking cast for 8 weeks. Then about 3 months of physical therapy.

liftergirl is offline Female Member
    gotcha. the treatment i'd told doc sust about was for achiles strains....not actual ruptures. But, regardles....if it's been repaired and you did the proper rehab afterwards, and it was a good surgeon....you should be ok. with achiles strains, it sounds weird, but the exercises that make it feel worse actually end up making it improve. Lots of stretching!!! Did you get approval from the doc who did the surgery to get back in the gym?
    "Medical advice given on this board can not be case specific, but often times with the injuries/symptoms/etc discussed, this is what is recommended. In order to get it fully evaluated, you should address it with your primary physician or health care provider"

Thread Information