OldPLer is offline Associate Member

sharp pain in pec

A little frustrated, had shoulder pain in left shoulder and it finally went away enough that I could bench heavy, heavy for me anyway, I was doing 6 sets of 3 with 315 today, not real hard weight but heavy enough to be a good workout. On last rep of last set, felt that sharp quick burning sensation in left pec about halfway between shoulder and nipple area. It hurt and couldnt continue workout so left gym and put ice on it and now it is swollen, no pain just sitting here but hurts to lift arm overhead or anything that involves pec. May have been from compensating for left shoulder, I dont know, but I wonder if anyone who has pulled a pec can give me advice. Doc, any ideas?????

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    ice ice and ice!!!hte more you ice , the betterchance it may not be as bad as it could be, motrin 800mg 3 times a day. rest, no lifting. not much else you can do, this has happened to me WAY to many times. ice 20 minutes every 2 hours you r awake. let me know how it is working

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    maybe u pulled a muscle

The thing that bothers me is the swelling. i am sitting on the couch with my laptop, watching TV and keeping ice on pec. I have been taking Aleve to help with the shoulder, should I switch to Motrin or stay with Aleve? Wife has already asked if I am in too much pain for sex tonight, she is hoping. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by OldPLer
    The thing that bothers me is the swelling. i am sitting on the couch with my laptop, watching TV and keeping ice on pec. I have been taking Aleve to help with the shoulder, should I switch to Motrin or stay with Aleve? Wife has already asked if I am in too much pain for sex tonight, she is hoping. Ha
    sounds like you ripped a muscle. gotta wait this one out. could cost you 6-8 weeks in the gym

It is not worse this morning, so I guess that is a good sign, still very swollen but no discoloration. I am still doing the ice thing.

About 10 years ago I pulled a high forearm muscle from overtraining. My arm swelled up damn near twice the size it normally was and I could not straighten it out. It took about a week for the swelling to go down and about 3 weeks to where I could fully extend my arm again. I was not in a gym for 2 months after this.

The doctors told me (when it first happened) to just use ice for the swelling and ibuprofin for the pain.

good luck bro

Quote Originally Posted by Lavinco
    sounds like you ripped a muscle. gotta wait this one out. could cost you 6-8 weeks in the gym
    didn't rip the muscle , just pulled it.

switch to the motrin fornow, stop thealeeve. motrin works better with inflamation.

Thanks for the help. I am not any worse tonight so that is a good sign, still swollen and sore but not discolored. I am beginning to wonder if lifting heavy is a good idea as I get older. Just frustrating. I am still icing it and using motrin and will continue for awhile and stay away from gym for awhile. Finally get shoulder well and pec pulls. It is hell getting old. lol

Hey Doc, just noticed that you are now a Fitness forum mod. Not sure what that is but I am impressed. Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by OldPLer
    Hey Doc, just noticed that you are now a Fitness forum mod. Not sure what that is but I am impressed. Congrats
    yes they made me a mod,i was a vet for about 3 wks then i got bumped up. thanks for the congrats!

Thread Information