Thread: forearms

forearms

today when i was lifting back and bi's my forearms freaked out. it started when i was doing compound rows, i moved up to alot heavier weight and my forearms started getting tight and it felt like they were being worked 100 times more than normal. then i went to straight bar curls which i could barely make out three sets due to the intense pain. preacher curls were alot easier on them, but they would still burn like hell after each set. i didn't go up any weight curling. my forearms were rock hard and would burn like hell after the set was over. i dont work forearms b/c i was told they come along with everything else. this has never happened to me, even last week they were completely fine. did this happen because they are lagging behind? anyone know anything?

v0doo600 is offline New Member

Same Pain

I have the exact same pain, especially as I set the bar down when I finish my curls. The pain is around the anconeus, right above the elbow behind the forearm to the right of the bone.I went to the doc he just gave me pain killers (hydrocodone)and muscle relxers(flexeril) the pain killer works but ive had this pain for over a month and it just seems to keep getting worse I have no idea what it could be. I made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon lets see what he says. Its strange since the pain is only on my left arm. PAIN IS PRETTY DAMN SEVERE but only when there is pressure.
    Last edited by v0doo600; 11-15-2005 at 02:39 AM.

farrebarre is offline Anabolic Member
    dont think u have the same pain. I get the "tightness" and burning when i train my forearms and i love it

dont get me wrong, i love being tight and burning after a good set, but take that times 10 and it doesnt feel good. The thing thats concerning me is that i wasn't concentrating on my forearms at all. I was lifting Bi's and back the same sawy i always do.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    you may be over training, how often are you working forearms and bi"s.how many sets days awk, etc etc. coral calcium or just calcium help allevaite muscle tetany. try it out.

i dont work forearms ever. i usually do 12-15 sets of back prior to 9-12 sets of bi's. i drink half gallon of skim milk a day, do i still need more calcium?

tri 9 sets of back and 9 sets of bis and that is plenty! you are already getting alot of work on your bi's from doing back first(i do the same thing you do) when you get to bi's they are alreay fatigued from back. 12 sets may be to much, also, until the problem alleviates, you may choose to do back and bi's on seperate days temporarily.
    as for calcium, try it out and see if it helps, also you need vitamin d to help the calcium be absorbed. i recomend the coral calcium, it will help.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    dont get me wrong, i love being tight and burning after a good set, but take that times 10 and it doesnt feel good. The thing thats concerning me is that i wasn't concentrating on my forearms at all. I was lifting Bi's and back the same sawy i always do.
    are you on any gear? i had the same tightness as you describe about 2 weeks ago. felt like my muscle was gonna pop through the skin and blood squirt everywhere. kinda scared me when i got the mental picture haha
    reason i ask if your on any gear is bc it felt similar to the "back pumps" that dbol gives me sometimes except it was in my forearms. they looked jacked for about 15 minutes though....

i also don't in any way beleive coral calcium can cure multiple diseases, but i do believe it is a sufficent source of calcium from how it worked with me IMO

Quote Originally Posted by fitnessguy
    are you on any gear? i had the same tightness as you describe about 2 weeks ago. felt like my muscle was gonna pop through the skin and blood squirt everywhere. kinda scared me when i got the mental picture haha
    reason i ask if your on any gear is bc it felt similar to the "back pumps" that dbol gives me sometimes except it was in my forearms. they looked jacked for about 15 minutes though....
    no gear, all natural...well creatine mono if you guys don't consider that natural...don't want to get flamed or called a liar.
    anyways, yeah thats how it felt, like my muscle was going to burst out of my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    i also don't in any way beleive coral calcium can cure multiple diseases, but i do believe it is a sufficent source of calcium from how it worked with me IMO
    where can you get this? gnc?

pain

I still get that damn pain it just wont go away it hurts like hell when i put pressure on the inside of my bone, i only get this pain when I let go of the bar when im doing bi's. Even when I take my flexeril or Vico I still feel the pain[Not as much though]
    Taking 1000mg sos weekly and 100mg winny EOD.
    Is it the gear? Did I pull something?
    Any suggestions ?
    Note. Ive had this pain for well over a month.
    Last edited by v0doo600; 11-16-2005 at 02:12 AM.

no gear, all natural...well creatine mono if you guys don't consider that natural...don't want to get flamed or called a liar.
    anyways, yeah thats how it felt, like my muscle was going to burst out of my skin.

where can you get this? gnc?
    gnc, helath food stores, probably even wal mart!

Quote Originally Posted by v0doo600
    I still get that damn pain it just wont go away it hurts like hell when i put pressure on the inside of my bone, i only get this pain when I let go of the bar when im doing bi's. Even when I take my flexeril or Vico I still feel the pain[Not as much though]
    Taking 1000mg sos weekly and 100mg winny EOD.
    Is it the gear? Did I pull something?
    Any suggestions ?
    Note. Ive had this pain for well over a month.
    ease up on the weight you are using. ice 3-5 times a day for 20 min, also you may want to invest in some elbow wraps. google inzer advanced designs, they have good products. whats your arm routine look like?also do you do skullcrunchers? is your pain more in the elbow area?

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    The forearm pain that you are experiencing is common for many bodybuilders. I used to get the same pain until I realized that doing bicep cable curls was the direct cause for me.

read this
    Forearms hurt during bicep curl
    and this
    forearm pain while doing BI's

Reprisal 6 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by v0doo600
    I have the exact same pain, especially as I set the bar down when I finish my curls. The pain is around the anconeus, right above the elbow behind the forearm to the right of the bone.I went to the doc he just gave me pain killers (hydrocodone)and muscle relxers(flexeril) the pain killer works but ive had this pain for over a month and it just seems to keep getting worse I have no idea what it could be. I made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon lets see what he says. Its strange since the pain is only on my left arm. PAIN IS PRETTY DAMN SEVERE but only when there is pressure.
    I think voodoo has a different pain than the one described above. However, I have had this exact pain before when I first started lifting. It was when doing bicep curls and especially when I would release the bar I would feel a sharp burn that would dissapate shortly after, none the less, hurt more and more until I was in pain all the time.
    I can't remember where I read this article so I cant give you a reference. Anyone else who knows more than I, please correct me if any of this information is wrong.
    The pain is being caused by the flexor carpi ulnaris muscle in the forearm. This is the muscle that runs along the ulnar bone of the forearm. The ulnar is the bone that is medial if in anatomical position. (if palms are facing you, pinky side.) The action of this muscle is to cause wrist flexion. (bring the wrist toward you.) I think the actual pain is being caused because of inflamation of the tendons of this muscle. The main reason is over use. In my case it was because while doing bicep curls I was allowing my wrist to sag, or keeping my wrist in a neutral position. The recommended solution was to keep the wrist tightly flexed (keep wrists up and towards you) while doing bicep curls as to not let them sag.
    What I did was I let the inflammation subside until I couldn't feel it anymore if I wasn't lifting. Then I tried the above method and it worked great.
    I hope this helps, and I wish I had a reference to back this up....

Quote Originally Posted by Reprisal 6
    I think voodoo has a different pain than the one described above. However, I have had this exact pain before when I first started lifting. It was when doing bicep curls and especially when I would release the bar I would feel a sharp burn that would dissapate shortly after, none the less, hurt more and more until I was in pain all the time.
    I can't remember where I read this article so I cant give you a reference. Anyone else who knows more than I, please correct me if any of this information is wrong.
    The pain is being caused by the flexor carpi ulnaris muscle in the forearm. This is the muscle that runs along the ulnar bone of the forearm. The ulnar is the bone that is medial if in anatomical position. (if palms are facing you, pinky side.) The action of this muscle is to cause wrist flexion. (bring the wrist toward you.) I think the actual pain is being caused because of inflamation of the tendons of this muscle. The main reason is over use. In my case it was because while doing bicep curls I was allowing my wrist to sag, or keeping my wrist in a neutral position. The recommended solution was to keep the wrist tightly flexed (keep wrists up and towards you) while doing bicep curls as to not let them sag.
    What I did was I let the inflammation subside until I couldn't feel it anymore if I wasn't lifting. Then I tried the above method and it worked great.
    I hope this helps, and I wish I had a reference to back this up....
    it sounds as if it is an overuse injury, thats exactly why ice i so important to decrese the inflamation and pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    it sounds as if it is an overuse injury, thats exactly why ice i so important to decrese the inflamation and pain.
    thanks doc.

Yes. Over use, and letting the weight pull and stress those tendons by not keeping your wrist upward and flexed.

Angry doc's conclusion

Reprisal 6 thats the exact pain I have!

I finally went to a 2nd doc's office. Doc was a bit unsure of what he believed the injury was[a little discouraging]. took a few X-rays
    he 'thinks' i tore one of my muscles. He gave me an antiinflamatory. told me to not workout for 10days stay off the flexeril and vico. If the pain was still persistent he wanted me to get an MRI. I really dont want to stop working out though....
    at this point I am unsure of what to do...
    can you still lift on anti-inflamatory meds?
    Last edited by v0doo600; 11-18-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Anti-inflamatory meds are just going to cover the pain in the strained tendons, not cure it. It will allow you to lift, while you continue more damage. If you aren't competing for a cash prize or trophy in the next few weeks, just stop bro. You may not have a tear yet, but you could be very close to one. One arm work out isnt worth it. Listen to your body. 10 days off is nothing compared to months of possible damage you may do. Plus surgery, rehab, etc. When the pain subsides in a few days or weeks, try the method that I explained earlier. If that doesn't work, then I would go ahead with further medical attention.
    This is all IMO from personal experience from the same injury. Ultimately go with advise from your doc.
    Last edited by Reprisal 6; 11-18-2005 at 04:57 PM.

And as doc said, ice that baby down!

Anti-inflamatory meds are just going to cover the pain in the strained tendons, not cure it. It will allow you to lift, while you continue more damage. If you aren't competing for a cash prize or trophy in the next few weeks, just stop bro. You may not have a tear yet, but you could be very close to one. One arm work out isnt worth it. Listen to your body. 10 days off is nothing compared to months of possible damage you may do. Plus surgery, rehab, etc. When the pain subsides in a few days or weeks, try the method that I explained earlier. If that doesn't work, then I would go ahead with further medical attention.
    This is all IMO from personal experience from the same injury. Ultimately go with advise from your doc.
    best advice ever, take the time off until you heal. 10 days won't make or break you

used wraps today on nearly everything for back and bi's.....saw a huge difference, the pain was still there after straight bar curls, but it was definatly manageable...about to go get some calcium and see what that does

wraps will let yo have alot more days of heavy lifting in your life. my knees thank me for using wraps when i squat heavy. i may get a few extra years in powerlifting just because of wraps, glad it helped

used wraps today on nearly everything for back and bi's.....saw a huge difference, the pain was still there after straight bar curls, but it was definatly manageable...about to go get some calcium and see what that does
    The cambered bar has always been more comfortable for me after my forearms were killing me. Cambered bars allowed me to keep my wrists in a tight flexed position.

The cambered bar has always been more comfortable for me after my forearms were killing me. Cambered bars allowed me to keep my wrists in a tight flexed position.
    very true. problem is most people don't have access to a cambered bar.

Thread Information