-DedicateD- is offline Member

Good ol' thumbless grip!

Just came back from the gym today....
    I was doing close grip bench for 255
    I lifted the bar off the racks with a thumbless grip as discussed in this thread, i made a slight adjustment to get my back better on the bench and before i knew it the bar slipped down and was bouncing off my chest....i feel fortunate it did not land any higher or lower on my body...it scraped up my forarms on the way down and landed in the exact place i always lower teh bar to on my chest...the bar toook a pretty big bounce and my ribs seemed to hold up pretty well.... im sitting here about 3 hours after in some discomfort but not too much... chest feels heavy and the brusing is starting to set in its becoming hard to turn my torso to the side and movements like that ... coughing and laughing is a bitch too ....im prob gunna head to the emergency room tonite for sum xrays just to make sure i didnt crack or **** aanything up too bad... ive never had a set of bruised ribs or a bruised sternum...so im wonderin how long of a break ill be loookin at... i just wanted to post this to show ppl that it can happen to you...i had read all these posts before thinking it could never happen...i should have been a lot more focused on what i was doing at the time...i know when i get back to it if i choose the thumbless grip again ill be sure to wrap up...it truely is better to be safe then sorry

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    if it doesn't hurt when you cough, sneeze or move quick , than you didn't break anything, i wouldn't go to the ER unless there was a serious problem otherwise you will sit there for 4 hours to get some ibueprifen. you can lift when you feel good, i would wait 3 days to a wk and try again

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The thumbless grip really increases your numbers in the close-grip bench press. Don't give up on it. Next time, just have a good spotter ready (to be on the safe side). Have you been back in the gym, lately?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    The thumbless grip really increases your numbers in the close-grip bench press. Don't give up on it. Next time, just have a good spotter ready (to be on the safe side). Have you been back in the gym, lately?
    hell it increses mu numbers on regular grip flat press too, i use it for everything except deadlifts.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    yea...i didnt give up on it ...after a week off i came back and did the same weight in close grip that i dropped before... i wrapped up the bar this time which made the lift a little more awkward then i was used to but other then that im in good shape... i never thought about it for regular flat bench...

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by -DedicateD-
    yea...i didnt give up on it ...after a week off i came back and did the same weight in close grip that i dropped before... i wrapped up the bar this time which made the lift a little more awkward then i was used to but other then that im in good shape... i never thought about it for regular flat bench...
    Like Doc said, it works for many exercises: bench presses, shoulder presses, pullups, etc.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    I almost exclusively use a thumbless grip. But I use lifting straps to secure the bar.

Flexor is offline Banned
    I'm starting to like it. I'm using it on all pulling exercises and eventually I'll try it out on some pushing exercises, but like some of you have said, I'll use straps and have a spotter at the ready.

One thing I like most about the thumbless grip is how comfortable supinated grip pullups have become. As these form a staple part of my bicep and lat routine its been a great boost for me.

Thread Information