BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member

Overdeveloped Front Delts

I have been told by a number of people that my front delts are overdeveloped in relation to my side and rear delts this has resulted in me having a rounded shoulder look.......

when i bench i feel my shoulders more and get rotator cuff pain always post workout...

what can i do to combat this,,,my front delts grow very quickly.. can i train them once every two weeks and focus more on side and rear delts

what would you do

Born Threat is offline Associate Member
    Whatever you're doing for front delts, I would throw that out completely and definitely concentrate on the side and rear.

and bench wise should i just use flat

Born Threat is offline Associate Member
    Try to only bench in moderation and concentrate more on butterflies, dips, pec decs, etc. These types of movements won't work your delts so much as bench press does.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Born Threat
    Try to only bench in moderation and concentrate more on butterflies, dips, pec decs, etc. These types of movements won't work your delts so much as bench press does.
    no you canstill press, flyes and pec decs are a waste and you willl still use front delts when doing those movements. keep flat press and decline, i would stop incline and working any front delt movements all together, you will get enough from flat press , are you a body bulilder? to stop pain in the rotator cuff, strengthen the muscles using internal and external rotation with bands and dbells. i wouldn't work the supraspinatus m. very heavy or again you will be using alot of front delt. the movement using dbelss isa front raise with your arms at 45 degrees. like it was an i betwen movement of front and side delts combined. the int and ext rotation movement will cover the infraspinatus, subscap and teres minor . thats all you need. all four muscles have been worked. any questions just ask

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    no you canstill press, flyes and pec decs are a waste and you willl still use front delts when doing those movements. keep flat press and decline, i would stop incline and working any front delt movements all together, you will get enough from flat press , are you a body bulilder? to stop pain in the rotator cuff, strengthen the muscles using internal and external rotation with bands and dbells. i wouldn't work the supraspinatus m. very heavy or again you will be using alot of front delt. the movement using dbelss isa front raise with your arms at 45 degrees. like it was an i betwen movement of front and side delts combined. the int and ext rotation movement will cover the infraspinatus, subscap and teres minor . thats all you need. all four muscles have been worked. any questions just ask

yes i do bodybuild and i know that my front delts overpower my chest,side and rear delts.its as if i have half cannon balls on my shoulders large n shaped at the front whears the rear n side just die out

how about db flat bench compared to barbell flat bench i feel i could get a better squeeze in the chest and isolate it more rather than the front delts although theyd still be worked...

what would you change in this workout schedule regarding front delts.

MONDAY:-Chest,Tricpes,Delts(front and side)

DB Bench flat
    Dips
    DB flys
    Cable crossover

Lying Skull crushers
    DB overhead kick back

DB front Raises (alternate with miltary press every 2 weeks)
    Cable laterals superset wit DB side raises
    Last edited by BIGPHIL; 12-06-2005 at 02:43 PM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGPHIL

what would you change in this workout schedule regarding front delts.

MONDAY:-Chest,Tricpes,Delts(front and side)

DB Bench flat
    Dips
    DB flys
    Cable crossover

Lying Skull crushers
    DB overhead kick back

DB front Raises (alternate with miltary press every 2 weeks)
    Cable laterals superset wit DB side raises
    I would have thought it was pretty obvious to drop all front raises and military presses!!! Come on, these are directly targetting the front delts...

Drop dbs for bench. The decreased stabilisation of the movement means you recruit your shoulders more to compensate. Barbell will help avoid this.

Right i will use barbell then i want to incorporate some front delt exercises,,i feel i must keep them worked as to keep the shape...whatta you think

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGPHIL
    Right i will use barbell then i want to incorporate some front delt exercises,,i feel i must keep them worked as to keep the shape...whatta you think
    I have never worked my front delts in my life. They have grown purely from doing flat bench presses since they are one of the primary movers in that exercise. They will keep growing even with your chest workout since most chest exercises use the front delts. There is no need for specific front delt exercises if they are overdeveloped, and you will maintain if not grow them just by working your chest.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    I would have thought it was pretty obvious to drop all front raises and military presses!!! Come on, these are directly targetting the front delts...

Drop dbs for bench. The decreased stabilisation of the movement means you recruit your shoulders more to compensate. Barbell will help avoid this.
    couldn't have said it better myself!

Thread Information