flexin-rph is offline Member

Why I don't normally flat-bench press!

As I get older with age (I'm almost 35 now), I have become smarter w/ my training. However, after seeing some of the young pups put up enormous weight, my ego got the best of me. I started a strength cycle (for a change) about the last week of October. Well, last Thursday evening, I was on my back-off set of flat bench presses with 225 (I wish I could say it was about 500 lbs). On my last rep, about 3 inches off of my chest......RRRRIP!!!! Yep, I tore my left pec at the insertion point at the armpit. The only thing impressive about the whole deal is the bruise the entire length of my bicep.
    The MRI shows major fiber damage along the outer pec, but not a total detatchment. The doctor said surgery was NOT necessary b/c not a total detatchment. Well, needless to say I am bummed, hurt like crazy, & wondering where to even start w/ rehab. He said no pressing exercises for AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS!

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    damn man, that sucks. do you think that the only reason you tore it is because of your age?

reading about these pec tears scares the crap outta me, especially because i've been doing heavy weight (for me) usually with reps of 4 or less.

does anyone know what causes this? is it possible to have a very small tear that you don't really notice, which could lead to a big one? or is this just one catastrophic event that causes this?

do you do any stretching or warm ups? was flat bench the first exercise you were doing that day?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    IMHO - You are limiting yourself with too much self doubt with improper technique and warm ups.

First, next time you think you are too old - look at some of the best that are still at it... like Big Lou Ferigno, after I saw him in Vegas a few years ago - getting older did not bother me! And 35 ain't shit!

You are worrying yourself with how much you can lift and jumping in to fast. Self doubt can be a mother-****er when it comes to a heavy bench... and it can manifest itself into improper form. I say, take some weight and pride of that bar (no one cares if you can bench 500 - and you can't expect to after getting back into a new movement), and start rebuilding yourself in this area.

Try some basic flat pyramids for a few months. Like this:

Flat Bench Press: 10 reps, 10 sets, 90 second rests @ 135-185 pounds. And increase every 5-7 days by 10 pounds until you can do 225-245 pounds using the same flat pyramid. Then go back to a traditional chest routine.

And WARM UP! NEVER jump under a bar when you are cold that you are not certain you can lift at least 10-12 times. And during your warm ups - do a few partial reps in the stretched position (the first 6 inches off your chest).

Good luck, be safe and take your time after you are healed - houses aren't built in a weekend...

TADOLFI is offline Member
    flexin - that totally sucks old man J/K
    Good luck with the mend.
    If you listen to the doc you should be fine.

And Warrior...you hit the nail on the head.
    I got younger guys around me at the gym that I know are cycling and throwing some heavy weight - and I'm tempted to jump in but always check my ego and then get compliments from these guys on how good my form is.

Works for me.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    hey i am 30 yo and i do feel i cant do as much volume as i used to ,but is till keep geting stronger, i just do les days a wk then i used to. coming back fro a pec tear is very pssible, rehab until you ae normal may take over a year. i would start with the bar and add 5 pounds every wk keeping thereps around 10-12, 3- 5 sets. as time goes by, you cand drop the reps down to 8's then 5's and so on, chris confessore's brother" a powerlifter who was able to press close to 600 pounds back in the day, tore his pec and made comeback to powerlifting 2 years later, he started with the bar only and worked his way up, he also used a close grip and slowly went wider with his grip as time went on. best of luck, and 35 is just the begining of most peoples carrers in powerlifting, tony conyers at age 40 just set the all time total at 165ls he totaled over 2000lbs, gary frank who has the highest total of all time, 2807 is 40 yo, gene rychlak is in his mid to late 30's and he has pressed 900lbs several times and a 1005 lbs once, "skinny man" tee myers is 49 years of age, he just deadlifted over 700lb once again(he has done this so many times i cant count) he is also drug free, tom eiseman at age 39 broke the wabdl deadlift record at 181, and at 198lbs with lifts in the mid 700's i believe one lift was 766lbs and tried 800lbs and was almost there, he is also a vegetarian drug free powerlifter!!!!! to old my ass!!!!!!!

Thanks a million for the replies/advice, guys. I realize that my age shouldn't be a big factor in this, I just think I'm going through a mid-life crisis (ha-ha).
    Anyway, as I said earlier, the doc said no pressing for 4-6 weeks, but what about stretching. It has only been 5 days, but I can already feel that what is starting to heal does not have the flexability. Any ideas on when/how to start stretching?????

Age is nothing. One of my best freinds and training partners is 50 yrs old, his arms are 23", he is about 7-8% bf at his fattest year round, and I can hardly keep up w/ him in the gym. The guy is young at heart, hanging w/ him is like one of the guys my age, 25 yrs old. The guy is true to the core, he will live and die in the gym, God bless him.

Quote Originally Posted by flexin-rph
    Thanks a million for the replies/advice, guys. I realize that my age shouldn't be a big factor in this, I just think I'm going through a mid-life crisis (ha-ha).
    Anyway, as I said earlier, the doc said no pressing for 4-6 weeks, but what about stretching. It has only been 5 days, but I can already feel that what is starting to heal does not have the flexability. Any ideas on when/how to start stretching?????
    don't stretch it until you can press again, wait the4-6 wks and i would recomend 6wk if it was myself

doubledrop is offline New Member
    shit bro, i`ll kick my own ass if i must lay off 4 six weeks, i`m into this game now 4 bot 2 years and gained 20 kg`s without juice, needless to say i`m stuck @115 kg`s for last 6 months now. bought my first cycle , 20 vials of depotrone 200, 300 d-bol, tribolan 20ml, and anti estrogen, what do u guys think?????????/ i`m 1.95m/ 115kg`s/ b/f +- 14%.............. thinkin of going on a winstrol / deca course in march...........

Quote Originally Posted by doubledrop
    shit bro, i`ll kick my own ass if i must lay off 4 six weeks, i`m into this game now 4 bot 2 years and gained 20 kg`s without juice, needless to say i`m stuck @115 kg`s for last 6 months now. bought my first cycle , 20 vials of depotrone 200, 300 d-bol, tribolan 20ml, and anti estrogen, what do u guys think?????????/ i`m 1.95m/ 115kg`s/ b/f +- 14%.............. thinkin of going on a winstrol/ deca course in march...........
    #1 you don't hijack a thread, start a newone this thread is about an injury not juice
    #2 put your thread in the rt forum, this is the rehab forum, your statement belongs in the steroid forum

#3 don't contradict advice from this man 's physician, if he said to take 4 -6 wks off, don't discourage him to not listen. if you don't want to listen that ur perogative, but don't get on this forum and start handing out bad advice.

i suggest you read the rules of the board and learn the ropes, no disrespect meant but please read them!

It's been a week since the "big rip". I'm still black & blue from my armpit clear to the elbow of my bicep. I'm back in the gym doing legs, but other than that....TREADMILL BABY!!!

It's been a week since the "big rip". I'm still black & blue from my armpit clear to the elbow of my bicep. I'm back in the gym doing legs, but other than that....TREADMILL BABY!!!
    better then no training at all. legs will get huge and strong at least

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    better then no training at all. legs will get huge and strong at least
    Yeah....I'll be an inverted "light-bulb"!

Yeah....I'll be an inverted "light-bulb"!
    hahahah! so be it!

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    You aren't going to be doing any pressing with any kind of weight for a lot longer than 6 weeks! It takes about 6 months before you can do anything and about a year before you can start putting the real weights back on the bar. Don't risk it & tear it before it heals back up!

I know that is not what you want to hear but you best read some articles around and posts from folks that have been through it.

playit by ear, times of he****g are guidelines, it is different for everyone. just start with the bar and go from there.

Thread Information