menna is offline New Member

MY lower back is so bad

I can't do dead lifts, T bars, bent over rows or squats withought my lower back hurting. As soon as I preform those excersises I get a paint in my lower back and everything gives out. Today I felt alittle better so I did deadlifts light and I felt a pain in my left lower back. It felt and sounded like a patato chip bag crunching in my back. So I stopped the workout. I get pain in the left side of my back and in my left leg sometimes. It hurts when I sit down and bend over to bick up something. What should I do should I keep lifting and just not do Deads, T- bars, bent over rows and squats untill my back gets better or should I take a month off from lifting and just do lots of cardio and abbs...

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    1. See a Dr. yesterday!

2. Have you tried Reverse Hyperextensions? On the negative portion of the motion, especially at the bottom, they take a ton of pressure off your spine, give your vertebrae a chance to realign, and give the fluid a chance to get back between the vertebae, where it should be.

For God's sake, lay off until the potato chips go away at least.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Keeping lifting?!?

Stop before one of your vertebrae slices through your spinal cord leading to permanent paralysis. Well its unlikey that will happen, but it sounds as if you have done something to one of your discs. Perhaps it is compressed or slipped. Seek a doctor at once, don't do any activites until you are better. Reverse hyper extensions are excellent, but do them once you are better.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    listen to the men above, what you have is a simple sparain/strain, happens to me once a year, no exercises that aggrevate your back, or take some time off. also ice for 2o minutes every two hours you are awake. also motrin 800mg 3 times a day. DO NOUT USE HEAT!!! any questions just ask me.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    i'm no doc but it sounds to me like he has subluxated a few of his lumbar vertebrae so bad that it's putting pressure on his disc (herniated), the reason i say that is because of the shooting pain down the left leg

goto a chiropractor that specializes in sports medicine

singern is offline Banned
    I know how hard it can be to stop lifting, you just want to work through the pain, but trust the good advise from the folks who posted. See a Doc. Stop lifting. and hopefully youll be back in the game before long.

swingbatta is offline Junior Member
    i suggest seeing a doc before you do ANY lifting.

it does sound like you have a ruptured disc. the herniation probably involves the bottom 2 discs which is why you are experiencing the lower back pain. the bulge from the disc is then exerting pressure on your sciatic nerve, which in turn, is creating the feeling of pain in your leg.

i hurt mine while changing a tire on my jeep last aug. as i was placing the flat on the back of my jeep, i experienced a sharp pain in my lower back. that night my back felt a little stiff but wasnt too bad. the next morning i woke up and was unable to move. i ended up laying in bed for 4 days, couldnt even get up to see a doc. on the 5th day i awoke without any pain at all. i researched a little online and assumed i had simply torn a muscle in my back. basically ignored it and went back to working out, etc. anyway, about a month later i awoke with a sharp pain in my lower back. hurt like he!! for about 3 days, then went away....so back to lifting. Then it occured AGAIN about a month later while i was reaching into the fridge, strange eh?. same pain, same location...i began to worry. went to the doc and he suggested an mri. sure enough i have a ruptured disc. doc said to take it easy, not to put any strain on my back for 10 weeks (no squats, no basketball). im still able to run and do upper body. im supplementing with vit C now, its supposed to help your body with disc he****g. back feels like 100% now although i know its not. from what the doc said, some situations (rare) may require surgery. you must get this checked out bro!

it possible its a herniation but not definate, need an mri to know for sure, if the radaiting pain stops after taking some time away from lifting,than he should be fine.

TomsTwinTowers is offline Associate Member
    Spinal injections !!!!! its the way to go. I had my las shots a year ago this past october and i have been pain free since. I wish i would have looked into injections 18 years ago.

swingbatta is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomsTwinTowers
    Spinal injections !!!!! its the way to go. I had my las shots a year ago this past october and i have been pain free since. I wish i would have looked into injections 18 years ago.
    spinal injections...im interested. what kind of back probs were you having?

are you talking about cortisone shots/if so not the greatest idea, but in your case swing batta it may help if the pain is constant, but if the pain is only every so often, it won't do you any good, it is for chronic pain, not intermittent pain

TomsTwinTowers is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swingbatta
    spinal injections...im interested. what kind of back probs were you having?
    In 1987 i was doing the presidents physical fittness test in my school gym class(i dont know if you know what that is, but its just a thing we had to do in NY. ) I was just doing this thing where you are sitting on the floor and you reach and grab your toes(streatching) and my spotter pushed me further then my back could go. Gave me 2 buldging disks. I had been to the chiropractor many times over the years and it helped for a little while but the pain always came back. Finaly in 2004 i couldnt take it any more. Had an MRI and then they said because of such a long time of being worn on that the disks were thining and buldging. I had 3 series of shots over a period of 3 months and on the third time they finaly worked. I have been pain free since October 10th 2004. My pain was intermittent pain, not all the time , i would have good days and bad days and they still recomended the shots.

When it come to an injury it ok to get some ideas on what to do on these boards but i would go see a trained profesional if you have an injury like that. Weather in be chronic pain, or intermittent pain, a doctor knows best.
    Last edited by TomsTwinTowers; 01-23-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomsTwinTowers
    In 1987 i was doing the presidents physical fittness test in my school gym class(i dont know if you know what that is, but its just a thing we had to do in NY. ) I was just doing this thing where you are sitting on the floor and you reach and grab your toes(streatching) and my spotter pushed me further then my back could go. Gave me 2 buldging disks. I had been to the chiropractor many times over the years and it helped for a little while but the pain always came back. Finaly in 2004 i couldnt take it any more. Had an MRI and then they said because of such a long time of being worn on that the disks were thining and buldging. I had 3 series of shots over a period of 3 months and on the third time they finaly worked. I have been pain free since October 10th 2004. My pain was intermittent pain, not all the time , i would have good days and bad days and they still recomended the shots.

When it come to an injury it ok to get some ideas on what to do on these boards but i would go see a trained profesional if you have an injury like that. Weather in be chronic pain, or intermittent pain, a doctor knows best.
    i agree, advice on the board is to help people but by no means is a great way to diagnose any medical condition.

Thread Information