shortie is offline AR Biggerologist

Elbow tendonitits

At the end of August I wound up with extreme soreness in my right elbow, I have gone to the Doc and he told me basically what I already thought-Tennis elbow, although trust me, I don't play tennis. I have since been fighting a running battle with it, constantly trying to find ways to mediate the pain. I took 3 weeks off from the gym, used ibuprofen therapy and have tried icing it with limited success. Doc said if ibuprofen didn't work I could come in and he would give me a cortisone shot, but I really want to avoid this and the time off it would force me to take from the gym. Does anyone have similar experiences and therapies they could share with me to help make this go away? I'm gettin ready to cycle again and do not wish, or intend to start out with an injury.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shortie
    At the end of August I wound up with extreme soreness in my right elbow, I have gone to the Doc and he told me basically what I already thought-Tennis elbow, although trust me, I don't play tennis. I have since been fighting a running battle with it, constantly trying to find ways to mediate the pain. I took 3 weeks off from the gym, used ibuprofen therapy and have tried icing it with limited success. Doc said if ibuprofen didn't work I could come in and he would give me a cortisone shot, but I really want to avoid this and the time off it would force me to take from the gym. Does anyone have similar experiences and therapies they could share with me to help make this go away? I'm gettin ready to cycle again and do not wish, or intend to start out with an injury.
    my first advice is, DO NOT start while injured.. You know that the water will mask further pain/injuries..
    the best advice I have is simply rest! Tendonitis is caused from repetitive motion that stress's the tendon. Refer to this Tendonitis
    Seek active release.. very effective! When you resume working out, look into a neoprene or synthetic fibre of some sort, elbow band, these work wonders!

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Tendonitis
    Seek active release.. very effective! When you resume working out, look into a neoprene or synthetic fibre of some sort, elbow band, these work wonders!
    Excellent post NMS, I really appreciate it. With one question, what do you mean by "seek active release"? Is this the stretching exercises you list?

Quote Originally Posted by shortie
    Excellent post NMS, I really appreciate it. With one question, what do you mean by "seek active release"? Is this the stretching exercises you list?
    It's actually a type of physio therapy! i believe the website is www.activerelease.com.. Its painful to have done, but effective beyond imagination!

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Its just golfer tendonitis or tennis elbow, you dont need to play it neccessirly. Look up R.I.C.E and yes an anti inflammatory is also good like Ibuprofen

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    ....Go with the neoprene sleeves and if you do skullcrushers.....Stop it!!!...They really wrecked my elbows...I stopped doing them around 6 weeks ago and my elbows feel the best that they have in years...
    ..I've had more cortisone shots than I care to mention, but i believe that 90% of the time they do more harm than good...and the relief they provide is temporary..
    AG
    Last edited by almostgone; 11-23-2005 at 11:53 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Pinnacle is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~ Cocky motherF*cker!
    The only way I was able to get rid of my tendinitis was through HGH therapy.That is when I was introduced to this wonderful drug.A sports doctor wrote me the script.

~Pinnacle~

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    ....Go with the neoprene sleeves and if you do skullcrushers.....Stop it!!!...They really wrecked my elbows...I stopped doing them around 6 weeks ago and my elbows feel the best that they have in years...
    ..I've had more cortisone shots than I care to mention, but i believe that 90% of the time they do more harm than good...and the relief they provide is temporary..
    AG
    very right!!!fcuk skull crunchers.

It's actually a type of physio therapy! i believe the website is www.activerelease.com.. Its painful to have done, but effective beyond imagination!
    great advice my friend! also ice 3-5 times a day that will help pre and post workout and invest in some elbow sleeves or wraps, check inzer advanced designs , just google it and you will find a page to order them

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I have been fighting elbow pain for about 3 years.. no matter what I tried nothing has helped.. Heat, Ice, taking time off.. nothing. I am doomed to do press downs and close grip bench to build my tri's. I am using Deca (which helps a lot) and I am following the same advise as Pinn with HGH.. I am hoping that I get some he****g from it. I have been on Deca (yes with test) for 7 week and I am finally to the point where I am not in pain 24/7. I was never diagnosed with "tennis elbow" or anything at in fact I have seen 4 doctors and none of them could tell me anything after $1000's in xrays and poking and testing me.

I will not do skull crushers (I tried two weeks ago and almost dropped the weight on my skull) it hurt so freaking bad.

What sucks is elbow pain effects everything it seems when working out.

Good luck bro.

Oldman

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    very right!!!fcuk skull crunchers.

..Skull crushers screwed me up so bad that I literally couldn't lift a glass of water...
    ...It took alot of years to do it (I'm 41), but they definitely took a toll on me...

AG

Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    I have been fighting elbow pain for about 3 years.. no matter what I tried nothing has helped.. Heat, Ice, taking time off.. nothing. I am doomed to do press downs and close grip bench to build my tri's. I am using Deca (which helps a lot) and I am following the same advise as Pinn with HGH.. I am hoping that I get some he****g from it. I have been on Deca (yes with test) for 7 week and I am finally to the point where I am not in pain 24/7. I was never diagnosed with "tennis elbow" or anything at in fact I have seen 4 doctors and none of them could tell me anything after $1000's in xrays and poking and testing me.

I will not do skull crushers (I tried two weeks ago and almost dropped the weight on my skull) it hurt so freaking bad.

What sucks is elbow pain effects everything it seems when working out.

Good luck bro.

Oldman
    Did they ever check into the ulna nerve?

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    ..Skull crushers screwed me up so bad that I literally couldn't lift a glass of water...
    ...It took alot of years to do it (I'm 41), but they definitely took a toll on me...

AG
    i know the pain as well!!! it sucks!!

Did they ever check into the ulna nerve?
    Funny you should ask.. Yes and No.. when I first when to my regular "general" doctor he said it sounds like I had an imflamed ulnar nerve.. He was about the only one that gave a crap about what I had to say when it came to the pain.. The only thing he suggested (which I did) was no lifting for 2 weeks and I did a 10 day tapering dose of prednisone whcih worked wonders until the last few days and then it was back to normal after I was done.

I still think that is what most of the problem might be but of all the doctors I have talked to other than him do not want to look at that as being the problem. Now I do not want to take prednisone on-going as I think it is hard on your liver but?? I don't know that for sure.

Oldman

Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    Funny you should ask.. Yes and No.. when I first when to my regular "general" doctor he said it sounds like I had an imflamed ulnar nerve.. He was about the only one that gave a crap about what I had to say when it came to the pain.. The only thing he suggested (which I did) was no lifting for 2 weeks and I did a 10 day tapering dose of prednisone whcih worked wonders until the last few days and then it was back to normal after I was done.

I still think that is what most of the problem might be but of all the doctors I have talked to other than him do not want to look at that as being the problem. Now I do not want to take prednisone on-going as I think it is hard on your liver but?? I don't know that for sure.

Oldman
    What kind of doctors did you see?? I would suggest a sports phsyio therapist... They should check your neck! Get into a nerve doctor!!

I have seen sports docs, general docs, rheumatologists, and they have done everything from xrays or my neck, shoulders, knees, ankles.. heck they did everything But my elbows.. It is not on one side it is on both arms and none of the doctors would even look at my elbows they keep saying it is a pinched nerve in my neck.. but then the next one says no it is arthritis and the next says I need to just stop lifting and let it heal for a few months.

Doctors "pratice" and the scary part is all any of these guys wanted to do is give me oxyContin and send me home. I told them I do not want to mask the issue I would like to get to the bottom of what's up. They ALL look at me like I am crazy turning down pain pills.

I don't think I will ever get it solved at this rate. I do need to see more doctors I guess but my medical insurance will not cover any more "second opinions".. It sucks!!

Does anyone have a specific elbow wrap that they have used and would recommend? There seems to be about a million of them and I can't figure out what is best.

inzer advanced designs, made of the "z"material. google the name and you will find there web site. hands down the best of the best for wraps

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    I have had lots of right elbow pain over the years .... both tennis elbow and the dreaded golfer's elbow. Tennis elbow is the easier to treat injury. I have had physio with ultra sound, manipulation, heat, cold etc. Accupunture. Cortisone injections and it eventually disappeared and never came back. Unfortunately what did come back was Golfer's elbow and this is more difficult to treat. After a year and a half of the above similar treatments I had to resort to surgery which is called " Golfer's Elbow muscle release " where the muscle is cut and the scar tissue heals and the pain goes away. This has a success rate of over 90%. No training and minimal lifting for 6 months after. My arm feels a lot better now .... one year after the op and I am now back in the gym.

I hope this helps anyone with the pain ...... but sorry some people just seem succeptable to this type of injury!

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    I double posted sorry
    Last edited by paulzane; 12-20-2005 at 12:24 PM. Reason: double posy

rocketman is offline New Member

elbow tendonitis - release surgery ..

any one here ever have this type of surgery ? if so what were your results & how long were you out ? how long did it take to resume normal heavy lifting again ? my doc calls it latereral epicondyle release.

thanks

dan_hattersley is offline New Member

I've got it to...

I'm there with you, got tennis elbow about 3 months ago, felt it come on doing flat bar bicep curls whilst on holiday. Never do them usually because it hurts my wrists but the weights in the gym in the hotel were limited.

It is getting slowely better, the first couple of days that I had it I couldn't even lift a cup of coffee to my mouth. Since then I've had a session of deep acupuncture (actually through the tendon!) been on iburophen every day, using Deeps Heat just before Training, Deep Freeze spay directly after training, and icing before bed for 10 mins.

Like I said, it is starting to get better, the only body part it effects in biceps, can only to Rev EX curls and DB Hammer Curls at the mo. Turning my grip any further and curling is very painfull.

Like my physio said, find exercises that do not cause any pain, work around the injury, slowely intruce an exercise that you can feel on the injury, traing on it with a very light weight. Rep out until it starts to hurt, then stop. Repeat this each session until to get to 10 rep, then increase the weight and try again, remember to stop as soon as you feel pain.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information