JerzeyBoy is offline Member

Physical Therepy

My both shoulders keep falling out of place. Like they'll come out they're socket. Everything cracks, I sprained my ankle from walking...My bones are getting weak for some reason and I was contemplating on going to physical therepy. If i do in fact chose to go will this help with my dislocated shoulders getting strong again? Can it prevent it from getting out of socket again? I have lower and upper back pain, as well as TERRIBLE neck pain, they all crack... will physical therepy help this too? I just never want my shoulders to dislocate again and i wanna rid myself of all this joint pain...

Physical therepy the way to go fellas?

Bump

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Definitely go and see your primary doctor about your joint issues, and have him recommend a good PT place for you to go. There has to be a reason your shoulders are so bad, so they need to address that. As far as how much better they can make you, well, you never know until you try.

I'd get to the doc ASAP, get the PT thing going w/his referrals, etc., and get at this soon. There is only so much advice you can get from a message board, and that advice isn't going to cure your issues.

~SC~

My stupid ass doctor told me it's normal. I wanted to kill her. She gave me a referral to an orthopedist

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Definitely go and see your primary doctor about your joint issues, and have him recommend a good PT place for you to go. There has to be a reason your shoulders are so bad, so they need to address that. As far as how much better they can make you, well, you never know until you try.

I'd get to the doc ASAP, get the PT thing going w/his referrals, etc., and get at this soon. There is only so much advice you can get from a message board, and that advice isn't going to cure your issues.

~SC~

orthopedist the way to go??? Happy new year everybody by the way

BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyBoy
    My stupid ass doctor told me it's normal. I wanted to kill her. She gave me a referral to an orthopedist

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Hey I have had the same problem with my shoulders. I injured them over 10 years ago and have been through just about everything with them. Here is what I have found, but please consult with a doctor as your situation could be different from mine...

I found that not lifting any weight at all made my shoulders more painfull and they will pop out of socket more often. I don't know the medical reason for this and I did go to a physical therapist which helped some but I found better exercises on my own and with a good personal trainer at a gym.

I found that when the shoulders get really bad start working very very light weights with dumbbells or cables. This allows each shoulder to work the range of motion that it is capable of doing vs barbell exercises that will basically force both shoulders into the same position even if one cannot easily handle it. Slowely increase your weight as you fell you can handle it.

Hope this helps, I know what it pain it can be to have bad shoulders, expecially when they keep popping out virutually every time you move.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    I found that not lifting any weight at all made my shoulders more painfull and they will pop out of socket more often. I don't know the medical reason for this and I did go to a physical therapist which helped some but I found better exercises on my own and with a good personal trainer at a gym.
    Subluxation (partial dislocation) can be caused by weak rotator cuff muscles or stretched rotator cuff tendons. Light exercises are great for strengthening the cuff muscles and probably help with the tendon a bit too. I'm not surprised that your own routine worked out best for you, therapists don't always have the answer and usually in my experience are BS.

Thanks for the explination on that Flexor, that makes sense. I just learned over the years what worked, what didn't, what hurt and what helped

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doby48
    Thanks for the explination on that Flexor, that makes sense. I just learned over the years what worked, what didn't, what hurt and what helped
    Yeah trial and error is often the best type of learning with these type of things, because everybody is different. You've been giving some good advice on the board tonight, I haven't seen you around before. Keep it up, you are helping out a lot, and its nice to have a female perspective in the workout forum

Thanks, I have been off the forums for the last few months due to some personal issues but I'm back in business again

Thread Information