guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

Has anyone made a good comeback from shoulder problems?

Has anyone had sometype of major surgery or problem with their shoulder(s) and made a good recovery? If so, please explain....

ROBOCOP is offline Member
    Never had surgery but ive had the problems. My AC Joints (BOTH SHOULDERS), are pretty painfull most of the time, hurting most when doing chest. I have cortisone injections twice a year under ultrasound and it tends to keep the pain at bay. You certainly wouldnt want more than 3 a year cos u may do more harm than good! As far as recovery goes,,,,,still feeling the pain bro but i train around the injury whenever possible. I guess it just depends on the type of shoulder problem and the individual which determines recovery and progress.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I tore my right rotator cuff about a year ago and am lifting balls to the wall now after my doctors missdiagnosed injury many times finally had an mri done then did months of intense physical therapy and feel great no shoulder pain but i do have tightness occasionally but thats even getting better I hope I helped you if you need any more info feel free to pm me about my injury recovery because remember surgery is not always a cure and can be even longer set back in some situations.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    i made a comeback without surgery on rotator tear, it took me a year and a little but i am able to press alot of weight again,

I cant seem to make it any better. I can do more weight, or keep going but, my shoulder wont let me. it sucks bad. almost depressing.

Im goin to the doc soon so I guess thats all i can do.

doc sust. how long might it take to recover from surgery involving repairment of a stretched ligament? I know it can vary but, ANY idea?

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I injured my shoulder in a motorcycle accident over 10 years ago. I am able to lift heavier weights I have found when using dumbbells or cables. I am unable to do machines or barbell shoulder exercises as I start to experience quite a lot of pain. If you are working on barbell shoulder exercises try using more dumbbells in your workout and see if that helps. I had a friend that had a shoulder injury as well and he had the same experience as me with the dumbells allowing him to workout painfree at higher weights than with barbells.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Flexor is offline Banned
    I stretched the hell out of my shoulder, arm wrestling, broke my arm with a nasty spiral fracture and also screwed up my elbow at the same time. It didn't stop me working out though, I rehabilitated myself and worked through it even though I cannot perform certain exercises such as overhead presses.

I dont use much barbells unless its light as hell

dbo85 is offline New Member
    Iv felt your pain bro... used to play ball alot ended up tearing my left rc... only thing i can say: rest, stretch (alot!!!!), and dont give up bro. Took me 6 months of 3x a week physical therapy before I got back to being even close to what I once was! Good Luck

cj1capp is offline Anabolic Member
    I tore my cuff as well the Doctor said it was the biggest tear he has ever seen.This DR.all he doses is shoulder repair. Right now im in thearpy 3 days a week I use strech bands and a ball and a 1 poundweight. Depressing Fu** yes!!! I had to see a shrink ,this helped me and now i can see that i am getting better. If you shoulder hurts check it dont mess around its not worth the pain or deprssion that comes with surgery.good luck.cj

O.T
    O.T is offline Associate Member
    I have came back from a labral tear and I'm a throwing athlete.. I had the bankart procedure and rehabbed. Coming back from surgery is all in your rehab. Dont slack on it.

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    It's a constant battle for me. I've seperated both shoulders and broken my clavicle. Rotator cuff has been torn a couple times. I've been cut twice for seperations and had dacron tacked/tied between AC and humerus. For me, I take time to heal, work the surrounding muscles with light weight and ortho bands and concentrate on other bodyparts that I usually let lag instead of sitting at home on my azz moping. Swimming and boxing really seem to help support the surrounding muscles and rotator cuff without causing to much stress. Just stay positive and don't let the time off mess with your head. If you let yourself heal and come back training smarter you'll get back what you had. You just have to focus on tight form, lots of warm up time, and resisting the temptation to go heavy all the time. Good luck and get back in the gym.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    i made a comeback without surgery on rotator tear, it took me a year and a little but i am able to press alot of weight again,
    same here.. I believe physio, and specific rotator cuff excercises (once the shoulder was cabable of such) really helped.. Actually, acupuncture really seemed to help in this case

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    same here.. I believe physio, and specific rotator cuff excercises (once the shoulder was cabable of such) really helped.. Actually, acupuncture really seemed to help in this case
    I agree, the rotator exercises are great as long as you have fully recovered, otherwise it could cause problems. Strengthening those muscles and tendons is a must after any type of surgery or injury, it really helped me after my arm wrestling fracture and shoulder injury
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-07-2006 at 04:25 PM.

Logan13 is offline Banned

rotator

I had a rotator tear when I was 21. It happened during incline benching, took 2 years to heal, and it still gives me problems during the colder months....

Thread Information