-DedicateD- is offline Member

More shoulder pain

Quick question, I know from reading the forums that shoulder pain is a pretty common problem among most of the members...I find occasionally that after a struggling heavy set of db/bb shoulder press,and flat bb bench press, that there is an aching in my shoulder. Its not a sharp pain and its not unbearable, just a dull ache. It feels like I just finished a set of shoulders, and the burn is just about gone. It usually goes away within a couple hours and stays no more then a day. I can lift through the pain with normal weight no problem, and it seems to hurt less with a pump and more circulation. Right now I've had the pain from Monday when i last did shoulders. Just want to see if anyone has had similar experiances and is in a position to offer any advice.

when is tha doc gettin back?!?

doby48 is offline Female Member
    I have had the same thing you are describing. I have found that I get more pain and less results when I lift with Barbells. When I switch to dumbells I don't experience the same pain but it does take about 2-3 weeks of using dumbbells only for shoulder exercises to start feeling better. Not sure if it will help you but that the only way to work shoulders for me anyways.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

thanks i appreciate the help....i tried to ice the area when i get back, but it feels like the pain is too deep and ice isnt doing much. i also tried taking some advil but that doesnt seem to help much.

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Yeah I know how it is. It seems like you can't get to where the pain is an nothing seems to work. Probably just going to take time. I know its not the correct way to deal with it but when my shoulder pain gets really and is too much to take, I sit in the spa for a while, feels better when I'm in and no worse when I get out, so at least I get a little temporary relief if nothing else.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

maybe ill try some heat see if that get can a little deeper and reach it, hopefully a couple days of rest will clear it up...thanks again

shoulder is still bothering me...its still just a dull aching deep within the shoulder...ironically my shoulder workout came around today and i tried to hit the gym...i started to warm up with light pressing exercises and knew it wasnt going to happen...i stuck to hitting traps hard and very light lateral raises...im starting the advil 3 times a day now, and will be icing my shoulder for 20 min every 2 hours or so when i can. i also have plans to take off a week and start back with chest next monday... i have a feeling due to the nature of how deep the shoulder pain is... it has something to do with my rotator cuff...i have full range of motion with some pain still... my question is do i start doing the rotator cuff exercises while there still is an aching in my shoulder or do i wait for all the aching to go away and then start?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    NO HEAT!!! ice only. 2o minutes every 2 hours your awake, keep up with ibuprofen/advil 800mg3 timesa dya to decreae the inflamation. (heat will only increase the inflamation, we can use heat and ice together, ice for 10 heat for 10 then ice for another 10, if the injury is at least 4 wksold.) if the shoulder is slightly achey, you can do LIGHT rehab wiork, but don't push it, elastic bands and dumbells under 15lbsonly for cuff work, if u ever need me, just PM me, even when i am gone i will check my pm box, hope that helps

that helps...i know its nearly impossible to diagnose over internet...im curious to why this pain has lasted so much longer then any other time it has arrived...i get this pain about once a month maybe once every 3 weeks after a heavy struggling set ( i want to say it comes on when i sacrifice form on the last repeition or 2 of heavy weight) but it has only lasted for a few hours a day max... i always worked through the rest of the workout and never though about it...as ur best guess...how long can i expect the shoulder to continue to ache? also are there any sides to taking 2400mg of advil a day?

ive also seen a number of supplements used to eliminate pain in joints....do any of these apply to an injury like mine?

Thread Information