Thread: Aching arms???

Doberman is offline Associate Member

Unhappy Aching arms???

Hi,

Im currently doing a 3 day total body workout ala Chad Waterbury of ******** fame.On Tuesday after finishing my workout I didnt stretch as usual and noticed that a little later in the day my arms were aching.This was compounded further by messing around and doing some arm wrestling with a friend I Woke up on the Weds without any pain.However in the night I noticed that yet again parts of my arm/arms were aching.Thursday morning comes and the aching has gone but then comes back thursday evening though in a diff place in the other arm and shoulder????

Anyhow I went to the gym today with no pain.I started to do supersets with
    push presses and chins.I found even on the first set of chins I couldent do my reps properly and that even a few sets later only using my body weight without add'ed weight via a dip belt that I couldent do 1 rep with good form.My arms were aching with what can only be described as like a feeling that the bones were being sawed into! Any how I felt as weak as a kitten and found that to even close my fists felt like it took some effort so I warmed down took a shower and left the gym.Now about an hour later the aching has almost completly gone!??? Im thinking of not working out till monday now to try and rest my arms??? What should I do and what is causing this? Help please guys.
    Last edited by Doberman; 01-13-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    I have something similar, aches coming and going. My brother has it even worse, even after not working a muscle for 4 days it will suddenly feel strained. It could be something to do with calcium ion deficiency, but probably not. I have also sometimes worked out and found my strength to be useless. For example I usually dip two 20lbs in a backpack to make up 40lbs. Sometimes I have had a real problem where I have struggled with bodyweight only!!

The strength problem could be down to lack of glycogen, creatine (used in very powerful but short burst exercise) or the CNS not properly activating. Certain lecithin supplements have choline in them, which is used in the chemical neurotransmitter acetylcholine which activates muscle contraction based on calcium ion levels. It is possible that these things have affected your strength.

The aches could be down to niggling injuries that keep on straining, or possible overtraining. I'd like to get other opinions on this though, as I have merely raised a few possible thoughts...

doc sust?

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    I have something similar, aches coming and going. My brother has it even worse, even after not working a muscle for 4 days it will suddenly feel strained. It could be something to do with calcium ion deficiency, but probably not. I have also sometimes worked out and found my strength to be useless. For example I usually dip two 20lbs in a backpack to make up 40lbs. Sometimes I have had a real problem where I have struggled with bodyweight only!!

The strength problem could be down to lack of glycogen, creatine (used in very powerful but short burst exercise) or the CNS not properly activating. Certain lecithin supplements have choline in them, which is used in the chemical neurotransmitter acetylcholine which activates muscle contraction based on calcium ion levels. It is possible that these things have affected your strength.

The aches could be down to niggling injuries that keep on straining, or possible overtraining. I'd like to get other opinions on this though, as I have merely raised a few possible thoughts...

doc sust?

Hello and thanks Flexor,

Ok well I take at least 1 pint of goats milk a day along with a very large tub of cottage cheese before bed so I dont think it's a calcium defecincy? I supplement every day with creatine and eat a fair amount of red meat so I dont think im short in iron ether.In fact nothing out of my supplement regime has changed in the last two weeks apart from im now using CEE instead of normal creatine and Taurine after coming off them for a month.The only other thing I can think of is iv'e started using milk thistle again in the last two weeks after some time away from it and that my usual SSRI anti-depressent medication is from a diff pharmacutical company then my usual one? in fact today was the first day of using this new companys product

Flexor is offline Banned
    Thanks for the extra info. I think its unlikely it has anything to do with the milk thistle or different brand of medication. It sounds as if it could be one of those weird events that you can't put your finger on. You might find this never happens again. See what others think though.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"

doc sust?
    overtraining, most likely culprit and i am sure the extra arm wrestling didn't help. take time away from any exercise taht causes that pain, also post your routin let flex an i take a look over at it, and maybe that will shed some light on the subject. also taking a clacium suplement wouldnt hurt, but itdoesnt sound likemuscle tetany, sounds more like a sprain /strain from overuse

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Thanks for the extra info. I think its unlikely it has anything to do with the milk thistle or different brand of medication. It sounds as if it could be one of those weird events that you can't put your finger on. You might find this never happens again. See what others think though.
    agreed. not the meds r supplements, chances are, its just overuse

Flexor is offline Banned
    Oh the arm wrestling didn't register in my brain. That is a terrible injury causing exercise, I broke my arm and slackened my shoulder and elbow doing it. It is the high static load on the bicep and inner part of the forearm near the elbow joint that takes a beating, so your ache could just be to do with this. Or like the doc said, overtraining. Post your routine bro

Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    overtraining, most likely culprit and i am sure the extra arm wrestling didn't help. take time away from any exercise taht causes that pain, also post your routin let flex an i take a look over at it, and maybe that will shed some light on the subject. also taking a clacium suplement wouldnt hurt, but itdoesnt sound likemuscle tetany, sounds more like a sprain /strain from overuse

Hi Doc and thanks guys,

Ok routine is Chad Waterburys the art of waterbury im on week 3 and today was supposed to be day 1 of that week.Dont think im overtrained as it's only my 3rd week back into lifting after a weeks break at xmass.I eat in excess of 4000 "clean" kcals a day dont have much stress and sleep always about 8-10 hours a day.

The Art of Waterbury Program

DAY 1

Sets: 10
    Reps: 3
    Load: 80% of 1RM
    Rest: 70 seconds between exercise pairings

Exercises:

A1 Push Presses
    A2 Chin-ups
    B1 Good Mornings
    B2 Standing Calf Raises
    C1 Dips or Decline Bench Presses with bar or dumbbells
    C2 Side Bends

DAY 2

Off, or perform 15-20 minutes of light cardio work (uphill walking, jogging, etc.)

DAY 3

Sets: 3
    Reps: 12
    Load: 70% of 1RM
    Rest: 90 seconds between each set

Exercises:

Back Squats
    Bent Over Rows or Chest Supported Rows
    Flat Bench Presses (bar or dumbbells)
    Seated Calf Raises or Donkey Calf Raises
    Triceps Pressdowns or French Presses
    External Rotations

DAY 4

Same as Day 2

DAY 5

Sets: 4
    Reps: 6
    Load: 85% of 1RM
    Rest: 75 seconds between each exercise pairing

Exercises:

A1 Barbell Hack Squats
    A2 Standing Hammer Curls
    B1 Power Cleans
    B2 Skull Crushers or Lying DB Triceps Extensions
    C1 Incline Bench Presses with bar or dumbbells
    C2 Seated Calf Raises or Cable Crunches

DAY 6

Same as Day 2

DAY 7

Repeat cycle for three more weeks

Progression:

Day 1: Increase the load 2.5% with each subsequent workout.

Day 3: Decrease the rest periods 5 seconds with each subsequent workout.

Day 5: Add one set to each exercise with each subsequent workout.

Flexor is offline Banned
    That's a nice routine, and pretty standard in terms of the exercises involved. I doubt it has anything to do with your arms aching, most likely the arm wrestling strains. I think overtraining is probably less likely although it is still a possibility.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-13-2006 at 04:50 PM.

That's a nice routine, and pretty standard in terms of the exercises involved. I doubt it has anything to do with your arms aching, most likely the arm wrestling strains. I think overtraining is probably less likely although it is still a possibility.
    Thanks Flexor, how long do you think I should rest the arms before I work them again? I was thinking of trying todays routine on monday? which means nearly a week since I have trained properly tuesday was my last full day workout ,I just hope I dont lose LBM or Strength

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doberman
    Thanks Flexor, how long do you think I should rest the arms before I work them again? I was thinking of trying todays routine on monday? which means nearly a week since I have trained properly tuesday was my last full day workout ,I just hope I dont lose LBM or Strength
    I've had bad shoulder impingement for 3 weeks, it sucks, but I'm working out monday for the first time. You won't lose LBM as long as your diet is fine, and strength shouldn't decrease after just one week. If it does its just the nervous system and it should soon increase again.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Thats awesome, i am also on the Chad Waterbury 3x full body split. For me its GYM, rest, GYM, rest, GYM, rest repeat. Works out perfect so not only do i get good rest but now i am in and out of the gym in an hour flat.

I've had bad shoulder impingement for 3 weeks, it sucks, but I'm working out monday for the first time. You won't lose LBM as long as your diet is fine, and strength shouldn't decrease after just one week. If it does its just the nervous system and it should soon increase again.

Thanks for that, and good luck on monday with the shoulder

Thread Information