cmax is offline Associate Member

Shoulder - Rotator Cuff Injury

A couple of days ago, I must have injured my right shoulder. The pain was not at all noticable until I went to work out. I can do ordinary things without it hurting.

Now whenever I do any shoulder or chest exercises like shoulder press and bench press I feel severe pain in my right shoulder. Especially when lowering the weight to the point where the bar almost reaches the my shoulders or chest. If I do not lower the weight all the way down, the pain is very mild... however, if I lower the bar all the way, the pain is severe...

I can do back exercises such as rows, which involve pulling without any pain or other problems. I only feel this pain during exercises which involve pushing (such as shoulders and chest).

My girlfriend is a massage therapist/chiropractor/accupuncturist and she says that I most likely injured my Teres Minor muscle.

Has anyone else ever had an injury similar to this one? What do you think is injured to cause these symptoms? What is the best way to recover rapidly?

Juicy Sauce is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmax
    A couple of days ago, I must have injured my right shoulder. The pain was not at all noticable until I went to work out. I can do ordinary things without it hurting.

Now whenever I do any shoulder or chest exercises like shoulder press and bench press I feel severe pain in my right shoulder. Especially when lowering the weight to the point where the bar almost reaches the my shoulders or chest. If I do not lower the weight all the way down, the pain is very mild... however, if I lower the bar all the way, the pain is severe...

I can do back exercises such as rows, which involve pulling without any pain or other problems. I only feel this pain during exercises which involve pushing (such as shoulders and chest).

My girlfriend is a massage therapist/chiropractor/accupuncturist and she says that I most likely injured my Teres Minor muscle.

Has anyone else ever had an injury similar to this one? What do you think is injured to cause these symptoms? What is the best way to recover rapidly?
    sounds like rotator cuff. dont do any exercises that cause pain to it. if you rest it and eat protein/vitamines, it will be good for it. when you get back to the gym start easy. dont go down so far that the bar touches your chest for bench press. the muscle will still grow even with out full range of motion.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    i had a similar injury that im still recovering from now....although not a sharp pain i had more of a deep dull aching 24hrs a day...any chest/shoulders/back made it hurt more...what worked for me is a full week off... even squatting made my shoulder stretch back at an angle that was uncomfortablet. as advised by doc sust i iced my shoulder for 20 min every 2 hours of the day when it was possible. every other day i would do stretching and a few rotator cuff exercises.(http://familydoctor.org/265.xml) its about a week and half later and im feeling a lot better, and im goin back to the gym today for light dumbell work

GIROLAMO is offline Associate Member
    Is this Chad Penntinton

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I had to take a year off when i tore my rotator cuff now i'm as good as new but a hell of alot weaker so good luck if you have any questions u can pm me if you like bro.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    your girlfriend should be able to help alot, rest, ice, and use the massage and acupuncture, if you have her, i don't know why you are even asking us, she knows the same things that i do. these injuries happen with overuse injuries happened to me several times, you will be fine, don't rush a comeback and ask you girl to show you the rotator cuff rehab movements with elastic bands and/or dumbells to speed up the recovery time. ice is the ticket stay away from heat

Tank80 is offline Associate Member
    Tore mine about 2 years ago. I'm not sure I'll ever be fully recovered. I still have a little pain on shoulder day.

Oh and REST, goodluck with it bro.

Igifuno is offline AR's Italian Tonic
    Blog Entries
    definetely take it easy. i know easier said then done, especially if you're half ans stubborn as me. i had to learn the hard way by aggrivating it over time to the piont where it got so bad a coud barely drive.

start with taking a couple weeks off from anything involving your shoulder (ever as a secondary muscle like when you hit chest), take all the therapy you can get from your gf, and then start back out extremely light and do lots of rotator cuff excersises. hope it better.

supershady03 is offline New Member
    I had a friend that tore some ligaments in his leg and took deca and he said it sped up the he****g process. I recently tore my rotator cuff too. I didn't need surgery, but I'm not 100%. I still get some pain and was wondering if anyone else has tried deca to help an injury.

mfabber is offline New Member
    I went heavy again the other day and my front delt has been sore also.It hasn't been hurting bad just a little sore.I also wonder what a little deca would do for this.

OldPLer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supershady03
    I had a friend that tore some ligaments in his leg and took deca and he said it sped up the he****g process. I recently tore my rotator cuff too. I didn't need surgery, but I'm not 100%. I still get some pain and was wondering if anyone else has tried deca to help an injury.
    Deca will mask the pain while u are on it, but it will not heal it and as soon as u are off Deca the pain will be back. If u are just having some pain then follow Docs suggestions and it will heal. It is when u have pain all the time that u look for help anywhere, except for surgery and that may be an option in the future but not yet. good luck

conservative care first, and if it doesn't help, the you consider surgery like oldpler said. surgery is always the last option

bedrock is offline Junior Member

Do you wanna be sure ?

Bro,
    I have torn my cuff twice and the only way to know the extent of the damage and your options is to have a MRI done. Then you can decide how to handle it. Thats the BOTTOM line !

TomsTwinTowers is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmax

On june 30th i had surgery to repair a torn labrium. It started out with pain in my collar bone area but when i went to the doc the gave me an MRI and it wwas the labrium. Im just getting back to the gym now. The doc tells me it should be better now then it was before the injury. You need to get it checked out.

sassy69 is offline ~Female Vet~
    Start w/ the icing & ibuprofin. The shoulder area is a tough one because its not really a true joint - more just a shallow ball & socket w/ a lot of muscles & tendons coming together. I've got a variety of problems that feel like tendonitis but flare up randomly - I pretty much need to make sure to do a little rotator cuff warm up before I do a shoulder / chest work out. I do a warm up on the cable machines or w/ a resistance band - set the level of the band of cable at waist height. Hold the grip & keep your elbow tight to your side and pull the grip to the frong (from side angle to front angle) on both sides, and then stand facing the cable or band, elbow tight to your side and pull from front to side, do both sides. At least this is my warm up -- do 2 x 15 for each of the 4 positions. Dont' do it w/ dumbbells cuz it puts unnecessary weight on your shoulder. The bands or cables put the resistance on the elbow.

I also load MSM / Glucosamine+chondroitin as part of my regular supplements. Ibuprofin before you train & massage is fantastic. Only go w/ the trainnig you are able to do with tight form - this ends up requireing lower weight lifts, but o well.

If it does continue, then def go w/ the MRI. There's so many little things that can get irritated in your shoulder area.
    hard work = hard bod

supershady03 is offline New Member
    I had the MRI done, and I finished physical therapy for it, but I still feel pain with it when I work out. It's fine for every day use, just not 100% when I use it in the gym or athletically (such as throwing a football). My MRI said it was a small under surface tear. Since I'm young (24), the doctor said that I didn't need surgery. He just gave me an injection at the end of my therapy and it took the pain away. I'm still afraid to do bench presses, but I'm working up to it with dumbbells. Still not sure whether or not I'm going to take a cycle of deca or not. Any suggestions? I only plan on doing 1 cycle just to get me back to where I was before I got hurt strengthwise. I was told that deca would be the best thing to take.

Quote Originally Posted by supershady03
    I had the MRI done, and I finished physical therapy for it, but I still feel pain with it when I work out. It's fine for every day use, just not 100% when I use it in the gym or athletically (such as throwing a football). My MRI said it was a small under surface tear. Since I'm young (24), the doctor said that I didn't need surgery. He just gave me an injection at the end of my therapy and it took the pain away. I'm still afraid to do bench presses, but I'm working up to it with dumbbells. Still not sure whether or not I'm going to take a cycle of deca or not. Any suggestions? I only plan on doing 1 cycle just to get me back to where I was before I got hurt strengthwise. I was told that deca would be the best thing to take.
    start a new thread do not hijack other peoples threads with your problems!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69
    Start w/ the icing & ibuprofin. The shoulder area is a tough one because its not really a true joint - more just a shallow ball & socket w/ a lot of muscles & tendons coming together. I've got a variety of problems that feel like tendonitis but flare up randomly - I pretty much need to make sure to do a little rotator cuff warm up before I do a shoulder / chest work out. I do a warm up on the cable machines or w/ a resistance band - set the level of the band of cable at waist height. Hold the grip & keep your elbow tight to your side and pull the grip to the frong (from side angle to front angle) on both sides, and then stand facing the cable or band, elbow tight to your side and pull from front to side, do both sides. At least this is my warm up -- do 2 x 15 for each of the 4 positions. Dont' do it w/ dumbbells cuz it puts unnecessary weight on your shoulder. The bands or cables put the resistance on the elbow.

I also load MSM / Glucosamine+chondroitin as part of my regular supplements. Ibuprofin before you train & massage is fantastic. Only go w/ the trainnig you are able to do with tight form - this ends up requireing lower weight lifts, but o well.

If it does continue, then def go w/ the MRI. There's so many little things that can get irritated in your shoulder area.
    great advice!!!!use the ibuprofen at 800mg2-3 times a day or as needed.

Thread Information