gymnutt is offline Associate Member

detached sterno-cleido-mastoid

Hey, I was doing heavy curls about a month ago and felt something rip and then bunch up in my throat. I took three weeks off and saw my doc this week. He told me my SCM detached from the mastoid (jaw) and said to get an MRI to see if it could be reattached by an orthoped. It hurts like hell but I can still work with light weights. Has anyone had this happen? Any success stories? Thanks

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    holy crap!! that must hurt like a bitch! i would back off for awhile, wait until you talk to the ortho. if they can reatatch it i STRONGLY urge you to get it done. it can lead to serious permanent pain and sever instability of your cervical spine

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    Yeahh didn't feel to hot. But I guess I was a little suprised it didn't hurt more. I've got a long history of neck injuries so I think I tend to work around them. I'll post if I can get my doc to get me an MRI. I'm a poor student and use the VA and their approach with sports injuries is...take some time off...take some more time off..try considering a lifestyle modification...why is it you need to go the gym all the time? Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    get it fixed! push the envelope on this one. trust me,you will neve rlift the same otherwise, it will always be your "achilles heal' so to speak.

Thread Information