guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

Chiropractor or not? Compressed disc L4/L5

I messed up my back four or five years ago but, it still bothers me here and there to the point where I can not bend my back without being in pretty bad pain. WHen they did an x-ray a long time ago, it was supposedly a compressed disc L4/L5, and I could see it in the x-ray a little bit when I looked at it. It happens whenever I basically just slip up and lose form for whatever reason, or if I squat/row too heavy and/or without properly warming up very thoroughly. I recently got medical insurance and am going to be going to a orthopedic surgeon for an analysis of my shoulder (whole nother story) and I was wondering if I should go to the chiropractor too or if is probably too late to make a big difference. I have heard a lot of mixed opinions on them.

Also, what kind of doctor should I see about my knee? It has started to bother me when I sleep. Weird.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    hey i am a chiro, i recomend giving it a whirl, make sure you go to a chiro who does lumbar traction!!!very important, if you are innsured you might as well. i bet my left arm it will help. as for your knee, go to the orthopedic. a chrio that specializes in extremities may also help. if it was me i would go to the ortho first for the knee

Thanks, again. What does "Lumbar traction" consist of?

RMBros is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullsmasher
    Thanks, again. What does "Lumbar traction" consist of?
    Remember that horrible stretching thing (the rack) that they always have in movies when they show a tourture chamber?

That's basically it.

It stretches out the spinal column and allows fluid and discs back into the space between the vertebrae.

Another way to do this is a Reverse Hyper Machine - at the low end of the movement, your lower back (L4/L5 are lower right?) and, again, allows the fluid and disc mass to get back to where they are supposed to be.

DON'T MISTAKE THESE FOR BACK HYPEREXTENSIONS - they're not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RMBros
    Remember that horrible stretching thing (the rack) that they always have in movies when they show a tourture chamber?

That's basically it.

It stretches out the spinal column and allows fluid and discs back into the space between the vertebrae.

Another way to do this is a Reverse Hyper Machine - at the low end of the movement, your lower back (L4/L5 are lower right?) and, again, allows the fluid and disc mass to get back to where they are supposed to be.

DON'T MISTAKE THESE FOR BACK HYPEREXTENSIONS - they're not the same.
    damn! you have done your homework, reverse hyper is an excellent tool for this, problem is the machine is costly and big and most average gyms don't have them. its more of a powerlifting tool.

Yea, I don't have that kind of money to spend

DOc, check out my stretched ligament recent post if you have time.

you got it skull i am on it

Thread Information