Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lovbyts

Thread: how to make a better ice pack at home

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer

how to make a better ice pack at home

.....that is using ice therapy. I ruptured my bursa last year and had to go through some physical therapy. Originally, I was using bags of frozen veggies for an ice pack, but my PT gave me a recipe to use. It makes a real slushy mixture that conforms to the shape of the area that needs cold therapy.
    Take a 1 gallon ziploc bag. Add 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water so that the bag is 1/3 to 1/2 full. Close bag securely. Place this ziploc bag inside another ziploc bag and close this bag securely also. Place the whole mess in the freezer and in a few hours, it should turn into a nice, slushy mixture. Use the icy mix until it melts and then return it to the freezer to make it slushy again.
    I kept several made up and used them throughout the day whenever I needed it.

Hope this helps.

AG
    Last edited by almostgone; 01-27-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: my redneck typing ain't good...
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

I've also got 1 more recipe lying around here somewhere. It requires the use of a surfactant i.e. dishwashing detergent. I'll see if I can find it, it makes more of a gel-type mix for a cold pack.

AG
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I've also got 1 more recipe lying around here somewhere. It requires the use of a surfactant i.e. dishwashing detergent. I'll see if I can find it, it makes more of a gel-type mix for a cold pack.

AG
    What is the mixture that you use for this one?

LOL....I'm still looking Papi. If I can't find it soon, I call up the PT and ask her.

AG

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Another ice pack idea. You can use a tight shirt and put the pack underneath to hold it in place.

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    wow thanks ... i am going to try this... im guessing this can be reused ... ?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by F4iDom View Post
    Another ice pack idea. You can use a tight shirt and put the pack underneath to hold it in place.
    it works but not as well because it isnt flexible enough on hard areas to hit like the shoulders

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by PEWN View Post
    wow thanks ... i am going to try this... im guessing this can be reused ... ?
    sure

D.quere is offline New Member

how to make a better ice pack at home

good idea, just make sure you have some evidence maybe a pic?

I don't understand what you mean. This recipe works fine when you need to ice a damaged area. I've used it many times.

AG

Quote Originally Posted by D.quere View Post
    good idea, just make sure you have some evidence maybe a pic?

Jitsu player is offline New Member
    .....that is using ice therapy. I ruptured my bursa last year and had to go through some physical therapy. Originally, I was using bags of frozen veggies for an ice pack, but my PT gave me a recipe to use. It makes a real slushy mixture that conforms to the shape of the area that needs cold therapy.
    Take a 1 gallon ziploc bag. Add 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water so that the bag is 1/3 to 1/2 full. Close bag securely. Place this ziploc bag inside another ziploc bag and close this bag securely also. Place the whole mess in the freezer and in a few hours, it should turn into a nice, slushy mixture. Use the icy mix until it melts and then return it to the freezer to make it slushy again.
    I kept several made up and used them throughout the day whenever I needed it.

Hope this helps.

AG
    Love this, I'm 8 weeks into recovery from the same injury, got shocking numbness down my leg at first and weakness in my toes but i'm almost back to full training and if my recovery carries on I def wont need surgery.

rynev33 is offline New Member
    great idea

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Almost gone.

fearthis_66 is offline New Member
    this awesome. thanks for the time to share this idea. definitely worth trying!

Not a problem. It has worked great for me (I usually keep 2 packs made up).

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I do this except instead of rubbing alcohol I use 151 and mix in some Coke or Pepsi. Once it's about 1/2 melted I drink what is left and I feel much better for most of the day.
    almostgone likes this.

Lrodriguez is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries
    not bad! anyone have any suggestions on what to keep it in place with

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff. +1

Here's another I haven't tried, but ran across it online:

PROBLEM SOLVED
    How to make an easy DIY reusable gel ice pack and save some cash

Maryal Miller Carter
    USA TODAY

Add 2 parts water to 1 part rubbing alcohol in a reusable zip top bag. Less alcohol will make the pack more firm, more alcohol will make the pack more soft.
    Add a dash of dish soap. This will help prevent the gel from sticking to the bag.
    If desired, add blue food coloring. This will make it look like a traditional gel ice pack. Or add any other color of your choice to customize.
    Once all ingredients have been added, get as much air out of the bag as possible before sealing.
    Seal the bag. Lay flat and place in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.
    When ready to use, remove the pack from the freezer and apply it to the affected area.
    Refreeze the pack and reuse it as needed.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    I like frozen peas or corn packaged already in a plastic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    I like frozen peas or corn packaged already in a plastic bag.
    They work, but they just don't confirm enough to suit me. I prefer a blag of slush.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    They work, but they just don't confirm enough to suit me. I prefer a blag of slush.
    Ive used most everything due to 2 back surgeries and 5 shoulder surgeries.
    I like the cheap generic reusable ice packs. I have at least 5 in the freezer at home and 2 or 3 in the freezer at work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81xLxP6bVsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	182574

Thread Information