916casanova is offline Associate Member

Shoulder surgery, labrum,bicep tendon & rotator

Hey all, just had surgery Thursday on my shoulder. Doctor only thought he was going to have to shave off some bone because of an impingment and possibly fix my labrum. Turns out the MRI missed some things and he had to do some rotator cuff repair and something about the bicep tendon had come off the bone a bit and had to fix those as well. Anyone else have something like this done before? If so, did you get back 100% strength and flexability? How long was the rehab? My doctor did alot of talking but I don't remember a thing cuz I was just outta surgery.
    Last edited by 916casanova; 08-30-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Anyone??

This pain ever gonna stop? Anyone been here before??

beefjr22 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 916casanova View Post
    Hey all, just had surgery Thursday on my shoulder. Doctor only thought he was going to have to shave off some bone because of an impingment and possibly fix my labrum. Turns out the MRI missed some things and he had to do some rotator cuff repair and something about the bicep tendon had come off the bone a bit and had to fix those as well. Anyone else have something like this done before? If so, did you get back 100% strength and flexability? How long was the rehab? My doctor did alot of talking but I don't remember a thing cuz I was just outta surgery.
    I had shoulder surgery on a torn labrum... sound like u got a lil more than that but ill throw my situation out there. I was told id be able to start playin baseball again in about 6 months......well that was a load of crap.... i forget how long my rehab was but im pretty sure it was 3 months and i dont have 100% flexibility and rotation back but id say about 95% overall it was a success it took more like a year b4 i got ball goin again and my strength is just now getting back to where it was and its been 2 years....... however if u do ur complete rehab u should be fine ( i quit going about 4 weeks b4 i shoulda stopped) also i didnt reall get back into working out for a while either.... id say do everything the doc says and as for the pain,,, get some more pain killers just tell the doc its hurtin alot he should give u more no prob

yeah, I have been eating norcos like candy. Odd thing is, when i am sitting or laying it hurts worse than if i am standing. Guess its just the positioning.I will 4 sure go thru all the rehab. I have a client at the gym that quit early too and she lost alot of flexability and may have to have them go back in. How long were u in a sling for?

i was in a sling for the first month.....i hated it lol, it was my left arm so if i went through a drive through i had to use my right arm and it was not cool lol... how long u gotta use tha sling for

I don't know how long I gotta wear it for. It hurts after 5 minutes or so if I take it out to get some movement in my elbow. How long you wear yours?

was in it for a month...... i cheated tho, i took it off when i was just sitting around on the recliner but i slept in it and wore it when i had to actually do somethin

rocketman is offline New Member
    hey bro how did the surgery turn out ? i had a labrum tear, partial rotator tear and a bad tendon tear of my long head biceps. the LHB tendon had to be released and anchored at the rotator cuff. this was done in feb 08. so far range of motion has been affected. the apperance of my bicep sucks. it "dropped" leaving a voied between my delt and upper arm. strenght and size are way down. been back at it now slowly but surely. still have some pain at the exterem range of motions. anyone here have there long head biceps tendon tear ? how was it repaired ... at the rotator cuff or upper arm bone ?

Recovery

My recovery has been great! I am ahead of where most are is what my physical therapist and surgeon say. I do personal training on the side and have the bands and everything at home to do physical therapy every morning and night instead of just 2 or 3 times a week at the Dr like some. At like 5 weeks I had just about full range of motion using the pullys but didn't have the strength to move it around on it's own. Then I started strength training with the bands and by week 7 I was able to fully rotate my arm. Only behind the back isn't there yet. I am at like L4 as far as how high I can get it up behind my back. The only concern I am having is that when I do curls it is really uncomfortable on my lower bicep?? In a place I never felt it at before surgery.. Anyhow, in my surgery the re attached my bicep tendon by anchoring it and then from the pics it looked like to wove my rotator together. He said it was "thin" if that makes sense.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I had a posterior labrium tear. Entire thing was ripped away. They cut off a lot of it and stapled it to the bone.

I spent 6 weeks in what looks like your exact sling before I could do anything. From there another 8 weeks of strenghtening rehab.

If you look at my thread below this you can see my complaints. Basically, 8 months after surgery I am having some problems, though I don't know what it is. I started doing light lifting again, still can't hang from a bar or anything though.

rocketman is offline New Member
    My recovery has been great! I am ahead of where most are is what my physical therapist and surgeon say. I do personal training on the side and have the bands and everything at home to do physical therapy every morning and night instead of just 2 or 3 times a week at the Dr like some. At like 5 weeks I had just about full range of motion using the pullys but didn't have the strength to move it around on it's own. Then I started strength training with the bands and by week 7 I was able to fully rotate my arm. Only behind the back isn't there yet. I am at like L4 as far as how high I can get it up behind my back. The only concern I am having is that when I do curls it is really uncomfortable on my lower bicep?? In a place I never felt it at before surgery.. Anyhow, in my surgery the re attached my bicep tendon by anchoring it and then from the pics it looked like to wove my rotator together. He said it was "thin" if that makes sense.
    hey bro gald to hear you are progressing well. yea get this felling in my lower biceps as well. because it has dropped from its orginal position the pump seems low by the elbow. it is a strange feeling. i have what is known as a popeye arm. although the apperance isnt too bad, i have become pretty self concious of it. did the doc anchor it w/ the rotator cuff or at the upper arm bone ?

Rick james1234 is offline New Member
    Hey, I think I may have a Re Injury. And I was thinking of going to the same doctor.
    Did you ever try anything to help with the recovery?
    whats your status?
    I also had a labrum tear, and my range of motion was there and everything was working out till I had to have an ATV accident and landed right on the ****er again....haaaaaa
    anyhow

can you give some advice

KD735 is offline New Member
    how long ago was your initial injury and repair? As long as you achieved good results the first time with your surgeon, there is no reason not to go to him again. Here's the deal though...you need to first be worked up thoroughly. Make sure that the pain now, is the SAME pain you had before. It's not outside the realm of possibility that you may have sustained a different injury than before. Possibly a different part of the labrum, or possibly your rotator cuff.

This is where it gets tricky, and you need to have faith in your surgeon.... anytime you get an MRI after you have already had a surgery, it's likely to light up all over the damn place. In other words, MRI's are great for showingn what isn't normal, but surgically reapired tissue also falls into that category. The radiologist will also commonly "over-read" the MRI as well. Partly because they have a tough time telling healthy versus torn tissue, and partly to just cover their a** Here's what I rely on... the history of the patient, the physical examination, and my instincts. It takes experience, but sometimes, I'll forego the MRI (knowing what I just wrote above) if what I hear and what I see is strongly pointing to a new injury or re-injury.

Beyond that, I'm prepared for a difficult surgery. It's easy the first time around. Anytime after that, you're fighting against scar tissue, and the uncertainty of how much to "tighten" whatever is torn, given that it's already been worked on before. Post-op PT will be more crucial this time than the last.

Check with your doc, and good luck!

plasmajet_user is offline New Member
    After your surgery for almost 2 years now, do you experience problem with your shoulder?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    OLD post. He has not posted on this board for over a year.

Thread Information