Thread: sinus headaches

ClubberLangsUncle is offline Junior Member

sinus headaches

Its freakin wierd, but this time of year I wake up with sinus headaches about 3 times a week, I have grown immune to pain pills, the only thing that works is drinking NO-explode or Vapor and hittin the weights hard, the first 15 mins I feel like crap, then bang, pain gone and I feel awsome. Does anyone know why this works, or have had the same results?

Why do you think they are sinus headaches? Describe them please.

Its feels like pressure behind my eyes, then can pulse for a bit, and the breathing through my nose is loud and stuffy.

Quote Originally Posted by ClubberLangsUncle View Post
    Its feels like pressure behind my eyes, then can pulse for a bit, and the breathing through my nose is loud and stuffy.
    There are no sinuses behind your eyes. How bad is the pain? How long does it last? What makes it worse? Is it constant second to second or pulsating with a frequency of roughly a second?

Headaches caused by true sinus problems are very rare. They would not be affected by working out. Migrane on the other hand involves the dilation of vessels in the head and would be relieved by vasoconstriction. This is why they put caffeine in over the counter headache medicines. Working out would increase cardiac output and your brain would reflexively constrict its own blood supply leading to resolution of the headache in some people.

Im not saying you have migraine, but from what you have said so far it fits better then sinus headache. Cluster headaches will cause unilateral runny nose, but you would *know* if you had cluster headaches.

I just seem to wake up with them, espically if I sleep in. But they can last for about 7 to 10 hours sometimes. When they peak is when I feel them pulse, useually for about 5 to 10 mins. My old trick was to take 3 excedrin and a cat nap. But even that does not work anymore. Your seem right though, I just always thought it was sinuses problems, that probaly explaines why all the sinuses meds never worked.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I know this is old but with that said what is the cure/fix then?

ni4ni is offline Pharmaceutically Enhanced
    something w/ pseudoephedrine in it-most states require an ID so you aren't making meth somewhere in that lab!!
    afrin or another 12hr nasal spray-however there is rebound associated w/ that-does that help? If you truely have an infection-gottta get on antibiotics-snot green/yellow etc

Quote Originally Posted by ni4ni View Post
    something w/ pseudoephedrine in it-most states require an ID so you aren't making meth somewhere in that lab!!
    afrin or another 12hr nasal spray-however there is rebound associated w/ that-does that help? If you truely have an infection-gottta get on antibiotics-snot green/yellow etc
    Afrin or nasal spray yes are VERY addicting. I was stuck on it for about a year once

Well I just went to ENT and had a Cat Scan done. I'm MOSTLY blocked up with infection mostly due to poor work from the surgery 20+ years ago. This doc say the other was a hack and the inside is messed up, no room for drainage He showed me everything. I'm going in soon to get another rotor rooter job done LOL

ni4ni is offline Pharmaceutically Enhanced
    good luck w. the RR job.

Just an update and suggestion. I read and another doctor gave me a suggestions that seems to help.

I was give flonase a while back but it does nothing due to the blockage. The doc said to use Afrin (yes Afrin) but for only 3 days, 1x ever 12 hrs and to use the flonase immediately after the Afrin, that way it can get in to do it's work.
    I'm doing it and it has helped but I think I still need the R&R due to being messed up.

bluesman is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Just an update and suggestion. I read and another doctor gave me a suggestions that seems to help.

I was give flonase a while back but it does nothing due to the blockage. The doc said to use Afrin (yes Afrin) but for only 3 days, 1x ever 12 hrs and to use the flonase immediately after the Afrin, that way it can get in to do it's work.
    I'm doing it and it has helped but I think I still need the R&R due to being messed up.
    Hey man. I have had chronic sinus issues for the past 8 years or so. The only thing beyond my usual "every 4 months zithromax routine" was when I bought a "neti pot". It is a bit unusual to get the hang of, but once you do, it works like a charm. You can do it as a preventative routine, like once a week, and since I have been doing it the past year, I have not had a sinus infection yet, (knock on wood). I make my own solution out of a cup of warm water, a pinch or two of salt, and a pinch of baking soda. Also, I use an infant style bulb syringe when I travel. Look into it, trust me on this one. There are google and youtube videos and shit about it. Try to avoid those sprays like afrin, etc as much as you can. That shit F#$%s up everything, eventually.. Flonaise is great as a therapeutic.

NaturalNoobie is offline New Member
    I used to get headaches like you describe when waking up. I always believed it was due to sinuses because of the location of the pain. However, I eventually figured out the pain was a combination of me grinding my teeth while sleeping & tension at the base my skull & neck.

I got a mouth guard, and something similar to this:

http://www.yogatools.com/tools.htm

"Cranial Adjustor and Cervical Wedge"

Except I got it from the in-flight catalog on my trip to Costa Rica.

No more headaches! Finally after years I got rid of them. Not saying this is the case for you, (you may very well have an actual sinus issue, so consult your doctor first) but ya never know.

Good luck buddy.

muscle_i_am is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBricks View Post
    There are no sinuses behind your eyes. How bad is the pain? How long does it last? What makes it worse? Is it constant second to second or pulsating with a frequency of roughly a second?

Headaches caused by true sinus problems are very rare. They would not be affected by working out. Migrane on the other hand involves the dilation of vessels in the head and would be relieved by vasoconstriction. This is why they put caffeine in over the counter headache medicines. Working out would increase cardiac output and your brain would reflexively constrict its own blood supply leading to resolution of the headache in some people.

Im not saying you have migraine, but from what you have said so far it fits better then sinus headache. Cluster headaches will cause unilateral runny nose, but you would *know* if you had cluster headaches.
    Hi BrokenBricks,

Did you end up trying a mouth guard? This will control any jaw pain you have and eliminate any extra jaw clenching/teeth grinding you might be experiencing. I ran into the same problem when working out .. I ended up purchasing a sports mouth guard from TotalGard. My migranes are gone too.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    I get them sometimes and always have. Extra strength tylenol is the only thing that helps me.

Thread Information