tat2guy is offline New Member

How bad is a cortisone shot for your body?? And what does it do?

Hey guys, I recently got an inflammed tendon in my shoulder from bench presses to heavy I think. I've got an MRI and it says I have a shoulder impingement(the joint is pinching the tendon) and I need a cortisone shot, and if that doesn't work then I need to get surgery. I've heard cortisone is really bad because it only m akes it feel better for a month or two and then the symptoms get worse. Can you guys tell me how cortisone works and what it does to benefit/harm your body? THANKS

T-MOS is offline Educate B4 You Medicate~HOF~RIP Our Brother~
    Cortizone is a corticosteroid, which does the opposite of anabolic steroids basically speaking. Meaning it breaks down instead of builds up in order to reduce inflammation

They can do a coarse of two or three shots over a period of time to see if it can reduce the inflammation enough to solve your problem

I am sure someone else here can give you more technical explaination

Nitro29 is offline Member
    I had the exact same problem, and the cortisone shot did not help me at all. I was diagnosed with shoulder impingement syndrome and tendonitus of the rotator cuff. Others swear by the shot and I guess everyone responds different, but it did not seem to help me at all, not to mention it hurt like a mother. Physical therapy, no weights, and mainly TIME is what has helped me the most. I go in tomorrow AM for my follow up with the sports medicine doc, I am about 70%. Not sure what to expect, hope they just cut me loose, good luck to you bro...Nitro

LATS60 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2guy View Post
    Hey guys, I recently got an inflammed tendon in my shoulder from bench presses to heavy I think. I've got an MRI and it says I have a shoulder impingement(the joint is pinching the tendon) and I need a cortisone shot, and if that doesn't work then I need to get surgery. I've heard cortisone is really bad because it only m akes it feel better for a month or two and then the symptoms get worse. Can you guys tell me how cortisone works and what it does to benefit/harm your body? THANKS
    Ive had 6 of these in each shoulder over the course of two years, they helped for around 3months before i needed another shot. I cannot have anymore so next option is surgery.
    My symptoms didn't get worse, they just came back.
    PS, i have calcification of both AC joints that causes the tendonitis.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    cortisone shots short term are okay if the pain is just EXTREMELY unbearable...you increase the risk of unhealthy side effects however with extended use.

ab037 is offline Associate Member
    I had a collision with another guy while playing sports, and basically had the same thing you are talking about, an impingement. It took about a year and 3 shots in the shoulder to feel normal again. But they definetly worked for me. Takes time though

midnight777 is offline Associate Member
    wow these shoulder injuries are common.. sounds like the same thing wrong with me.. i had a shot in my shoulder in oct.. My shoulder started hurting again last month. I was just given prednisone for 15 days and going to physical therapy 1-2 times a week.. I can get back to lifting in 2 weeks. The flat bench using the bar is what messed up my shoulders.... hopefully I can get back to somewhat normal...

Thread Information