volumnus is offline New Member

Setback after arthroscopic shoulder surgery.

I recently had shoulder surgery. I had the ac joint cleaned up, arthritis removed, and two bone spurs taken out. My rotator was apparently okay. I had developed pain over a period of months, especially when doing benchpresses. Then one day it suddenly got way worse, so much so that I dropped the bar after only a couple of repetitions. I was able to squirm out from under it, but my shoulder was screwed.

After surgery, I was still out cold, but my doc told my mom my recovery would be fast and that I was only limited by what I could endure in terms of pain. Today marked the fifteenth day post surgery. After physical therapy two days ago, I developed a knot where a bone spur was removed atop my clavicle. It's almost as if the spur is back! It's like half a golf ball just sitting up there. I had been markedly improving each day, but now I've taken several steps back. Everything hurts! I went to the doc yesterday, and I waited 90 min, but then I had to leave. I coach tennis and couldn't miss our match, the life of a public school teacher. Now the Dr.'s office can't fit me in for another 16 days, so I took out my own stitches.

I feel I may have rehabbed it too hard too soon and that a few days off with ice may be in order. I want to be aggressive with my therapy, but I also want to use some common sense. I suspect the knot is just the result of swelling and that rest and a strong anti-inflammatory may be in order. I have a script for oxycodone, but it makes me sick as a dog, and I have heard that taking a lot anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen is counterproductive, so I haven't taken any since a week before my surgery.

I don't want to be a *****, nor do I want to be an idiot, you know? My shoulder just feels really tight. My range of motion is near 100 percent, but when I flex those muscles in there, it feels like it's going to explode. I was thinking 5 to 7 days off from therapy combined with ice and ibuprofen sounded like a plan. Any input would be appreciated.

flex25j is offline Junior Member
    wow i got the same surgery coming up in 2 weeks same thing my shoulder been bother me then got way worse how long did he say until you can lift again? i dont want to be out all summer

He said I'd be back to normal in about 8 weeks...

if he didn't have to repair my rotator, which he didn't, but my shoulder suddenly got so bad that I hadn't lifted in a month anyway. I hate to be negative, and I'm going to wait it out, but I almost think more was going on than just arthritis and bone spurs. I had bad pain emanating from the dead center of my upper arm below my shoulder...nowhere near the ac joint.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Even a fast recovery means months. You should not be dong anything with it more than very light stretch and movements if that. Keep it iced. NO lifting for a couple months and then only very light. Dont let it lock up but dont put any weight on it either...

Thanks...

I took a week off. Now I'm starting back slowly. They had me doing 20lb overhead presses with a dumbbell. Too much too soon.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by volumnus View Post
    I took a week off. Now I'm starting back slowly. They had me doing 20lb overhead presses with a dumbbell. Too much too soon.
    20 lbs? Ill say, I would say start with 2 1/2 and up to 5 in a couple weeks. No reason to over do it except to damage you again.

Thread Information