Mezz is offline Junior Member

Will taking HGH or some kind of steroid heal a knee injury faster?

Sorry in advance if this post is long
    info about me: Age: 23 Height: 5,9 Weight: 195 Began lifting: July 1st 2011

In August of 2013 I was squatting more weight than I ever had before, 365lbs for sets of 10 which was alot for me. Last summer, I guess you could say I was still somewhat new to lifting. I had only being doing it consistently for about 2 years but had made substantial progress. I never took time off and I guess that was one of my biggest downfalls because after a leg workout that month, when I woke up the next morning I felt pain in my left knee. I felt a sharp pain every time I went up and down the stairs, tried to extend my leg or lung forward while bending my knee, and jumping was absolutely out of the question. It is a sharp pain right below my knee cap, like my patella tendon I guess. I can walk around fine, could even probably run ok but I can't do anything else. I haven't been able to squat or deadlift in 8 months now without pain and its KILLING ME. I've gotten MRI's, Xrays (all negative), went through PT, been icing, been on anti-inflammatorys, I've always taken fish oils even before the injury, and not a damn thing has changed. I've been told everything from having a muscle imbalance, to having tight hamstrings, to have tendinitis, but no doctor can seem to fix the problem. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how I can finally get over this nagging knee injury, I never thought it would go on for this long and I feel as if another bodybuilders perspective would be best. As of right now I am still taking fish oils, icing it, and doing a ton of stretches and mobility work. If I had to diagnose myself, the closest thing that sounds like my symptoms is what some people call "jumpers knee". My question is, are there any steroids OTHER than anti inflammatorys or creams that I can take that will help aid recover from this knee injury faster? I ran some sprints today just when I thought I was feeling some relief so I wanted to test it and boom, it is extremely sensitive once again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I just feel like I've tried it all so I am desperate. Thanks!

Forest is offline Junior Member
    Go see an OS specializing in knees. You are too young to have OA and may have torn your meniscus. A sharp pain is unlikely tendonitis.

BTW..I am several months post knee surgery and have been taking TB500 and the jury is still out. Going to try 6 months of HGH to see how that goes. Good luck

Artemicon is offline New Member
    I'm hoping the nagging injuries in my shoulder and back will be helped by hgh when I can find some legitimately. Good luck with you knee!

Mezz is offline Junior Member
    thanks appreciate it man

SidVicious77 is offline Associate Member
    Hi Mezz... can't tell you about hgh but I can suggest a few options
    Get MRIs done to see what the problem is instead of guessing
    Try wrapping your knees.. properly used wraps protect the patellar tendon and I find my knees feel better after an ass to grass squat session than before because they stretch things out
    Try lighter weight and higher reps... quads are mainly type2 fibers anyway so they respond to higher reps and less strain on your knees
    Check yourself for imbalances or inflexibility which may be causing strain... usual culprits for squatting issues include tight hamstrings or calves and weak vastus medialis
    Check that your technique is correct and you aren't using machines which may be locking you into biomechanically wrong patterns... try switching up between conventional squats and sumo squats to see if either one feels better on your joints.
    Best of luck man, hope some of this helps
    Last edited by SidVicious77; 03-03-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Tanner Chambers is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious77 View Post
    Hi Mezz... can't tell you about hgh but I can suggest a few options
    Get MRIs done to see what the problem is instead of guessing
    Try wrapping your knees.. properly used wraps protect the patellar tendon and I find my knees feel better after an ass to grass squat session than before because they stretch things out
    Try lighter weight and higher reps... quads are mainly type2 fibers anyway so they respond to higher reps and less strain on your knees
    Check yourself for imbalances or inflexibility which may be causing strain... usual culprits for squatting issues include tight hamstrings or calves and weak vastus medialis
    Check that your technique is correct and you aren't using machines which may be locking you into biomechanically wrong patterns... try switching up between conventional squats and sumo squats to see if either one feels better on your joints.
    Best of luck man, hope some of this helps
    I agree with this guy; especially his first 2 suggestions. compression wraps are cheap and effective (for a lot of people); but an MRI is your first step to make sure its not something much worse. It's better to know the facts and then base your solution off of them. Good luck!

30blue03 is offline New Member
    Your hamstrings are probably not tight as in the shortened strength, your hamstrings are tight because they are lengthened and weak.... your quadriceps are the culprit, they are tight and shortened. A very common imbalance. The key is to

1) do more glute/ham strengthening which is also Active stretching the quads.

2) for the quadriceps you need deep friction massage, Passive stretching, foam rolling. Also eccentric strengthening works great for any tendonitis as its the eccentric phase is the point with the most force on the tendon. (I'm not talking heavy eccentric im talking rehab theraband light eccentric training to start)

3) For the patella tendon (which can be a sharp pain when ascending stairs) cross friction massage to realign the fibers, ice cup massage, and ultrasound with rest from squatting.

Patella tendonitis, jumpers knee, patella femoral syndrome can take a long time to heal. An easy way to rule in jumpers knee is sit down, extend your leg straight out on a stool/bench muscles relaxed so you can push the top of your patella toward your toes, then take your opposite hand and rub like a violin right at the point where the patella attaches to the patella tendon. If that's painful its patella tendonitis.

30blue03 is offline New Member
    PS Steroids and HGH will not help heal the injury faster, actually they could make problems worse

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    This could help. Read the links.
    TB500 -- Learn how it works!

Thread Information