Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By infinite_loop
  • 2 Post By Chicagotarsier

Thread: Tendon tear, bursitis

kingfish is offline Junior Member

Tendon tear, bursitis

Hey all,

It's been quite a while since I posted, but have got back into working out after a bench press injury three years ago. I worked with a great trainer, and got my BP up to 365 (not bad a for a then 43 yr old guy) The lift was flawless, but a few days later I felt pain in the crook of my elbow. Turned out to be a minor tear in the bicep tendon and bursitis. I was able to work out through this with lower weight, but last year took a six month or so break. I had the fluid removed from the bursa and that took a while for the pain to stop.

The bizarre thing is while I did lose mass & strength during the break, it was only on the left side. My left pec is visibly smaller in profile than the right and the last time I tried to bench (almost a year ago) I struggled with 135. Embarrassing. I use dumbells and machines for chest now, but could never figure out how the asymmetric muscle loss happened. Ideas?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    Hey all,

It's been quite a while since I posted, but have got back into working out after a bench press injury three years ago. I worked with a great trainer, and got my BP up to 365 (not bad a for a then 43 yr old guy) The lift was flawless, but a few days later I felt pain in the crook of my elbow. Turned out to be a minor tear in the bicep tendon and bursitis. I was able to work out through this with lower weight, but last year took a six month or so break. I had the fluid removed from the bursa and that took a while for the pain to stop.

The bizarre thing is while I did lose mass & strength during the break, it was only on the left side. My left pec is visibly smaller in profile than the right and the last time I tried to bench (almost a year ago) I struggled with 135. Embarrassing. I use dumbells and machines for chest now, but could never figure out how the asymmetric muscle loss happened. Ideas?
    you typed in a wrong number. tell us again what your BP was?

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    you typed in a wrong number. tell us again what your BP was?
    I think you are thinking BP = blood pressure but he mean bench press. 365 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    LOL. You're right, I meant bench press. Blood pressure is not an issue.

I can't figure out why I lost mass on the left side and not symmetrically? Or how to fix this..

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    LOL. You're right, I meant bench press. Blood pressure is not an issue.

I can't figure out why I lost mass on the left side and not symmetrically? Or how to fix this..
    How much mass are we talking about? You should try switching to dumbbell press that way you cant favor either arm and of course concentrate on form.
    I know you said you did do dumbbell but still? I would stick with dumbbell 80% of the time.

infinite_loop is offline New Member
    I have a similar imbalance, but it's caused by a nerve injury. Maybe have a nerve conduction study done on your arm / elbow.
    BG likes this.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    oh shit! you are right!! (why was I thinking it meant blood pressure???)

sorry 'bout that KingFish!

How much mass are we talking about? You should try switching to dumbbell press that way you cant favor either arm and of course concentrate on form.
    I know you said you did do dumbbell but still? I would stick with dumbbell 80% of the time.
    Kinda hard to quantify here. Nobody points fingers at me & laughs but I can feel the difference between left and right and can see the difference in the mirror. The upper pec is visibly smaller on the left. My chest routine is now dumbell inclines, Hammer presses and butterflies.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I agree with this. I have sciatica and it makes my left leg larger than my right by about 30%. I feel like the guy off Traveling to the West with Demons with the small foot lol
    Quote Originally Posted by infinite_loop View Post
    I have a similar imbalance, but it's caused by a nerve injury. Maybe have a nerve conduction study done on your arm / elbow.
    Also the blood flow in my sciatica leg is about 70% of what the flow in my other leg is due to inflamation. It all impacts the size for me. I think in the west they would do a CAT/A scan where they put a dye in your blood and take images of areas...it is VERY specific. Here in China that costs about 180 bucks. If you are in Healthcare for profit by Big Brother country you might need to mortgage your house for this test.
    Last edited by Chicagotarsier; 04-25-2014 at 03:38 AM.
    BG and Beethoven like this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    I agree with this. I have sciatica and it makes my left leg larger than my right by about 30%.
    How was your sciatica diagnosed? Did the doc rule out piriformis syndrome?

Just curious as it seems to me that doctors are quick to jump to sciatica dx.

The tests they ran was with a sonic viewer (like sonogram) up and down the legs and recorded the photos as they went. Doctor reviewed but as you say, they did not test for the syndrom but most likely assumed since i was having issues with back pain. I really have not read on that but it sounds exactly like what pain I have.

Blog Entries
    Hey all,

Hard to say what happened could be overcompensation of non injured arm that you may not have consciously noticed as the other arm healed. Doesn't really matter now, the important thing is is your tear fully healed? If so reduce lifting weight, focus on strict form, stop the set when weaker arm is tapped out, and slowly over time the symmetry will balance out.

I would not be embarrassed if I were you, remember you are there to work the muscle NOT the weight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    The tests they ran was with a sonic viewer (like sonogram) up and down the legs and recorded the photos as they went. Doctor reviewed but as you say, they did not test for the syndrom but most likely assumed since i was having issues with back pain. I really have not read on that but it sounds exactly like what pain I have.

Piriformis is very very similar to sciatica but not as devastating a dx. Diff is one requires physical therapy the other surgery most often.

My piriformis was caused by many years of sitting on a super fat tri-fold wallet (cards, pics, cash all added up to ~2in thick). Flares up every now and then. I now carry all my cards and cash in front pockets, I recommend this change to all. Sitting on fat wallets will fk you up over time.
    Last edited by hellomycognomen; 04-26-2014 at 11:45 PM.

I jumped on youtube and found the Pirformis stretches. Performed them this morning and wow what a difference. The tingling pain and numbness was reduced by 60% or so.

Amen on the wallets lol. I carry my stuff in the front pocket due to those ninja asian pickpocketers. I was like you until about 5 years ago with the wallet. Was so cool carrying the fat wallet with the condom outline on the back side. I was a dork lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    Piriformis is very very similar to sciatica but not as devastating a dx. Diff is one requires physical therapy the other surgery most often.

My piriformis was caused by many years of sitting on a super fat tri-fold wallet (cards, pics, cash all added up to ~2in thick). Flares up every now and then. I now carry all my cards and cash in front pockets, I recommend this change to all. Sitting on fat wallets will fk you up over time.

Getlean007 is offline Junior Member
    Very terrible

Thread Information