Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Herniated Disc---Fusion surgery 2

Ok guys, I will post this up in injury section too, but figured lounge gets much more traffic.

So my wife about 6 years ago had a herniated disc L5-S1 and had surgery. "lamenextomy"? Where they shaved a part of the disc.

Well shes been in bad pain this past 3 weeks. Doc first sad its normal and ould go away and gave her nerve blockers. they didn't even touch her pain.

So we waited 2 weeks, and she got MRI, then waited another week for the doctor to see her.

Now they just told her its herniated again. And gave us three options

Epi shots
    Shaved disc again
    Fusion surgery

We are opting for the fusion.

But have no clue what to expect. Doctor told her she could be back to work in 2 days (will be in pain but possible).

I told her to set everthing up and take a least a week off, and ill try to do the same. As we have the baby and 2 dogs and now her to take care of this wont be easy.

So now im here looking for ANY experience any one has with the FUSION surgery for the disc.

How long were you out for?
    Did it help any?
    Worth going for it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.....

Thank you guys.

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    So fusion and being back to work in 2 days highly unlikely and if the doc is saying this I would find a new doctor.

I had l4-l5 fused. One of the first steps before spinal fusion is always a discogram (im sure I spelled it wrong). This is a prosedure where they inject ink into your disc and then they do a ct scan I believe. Its been years now but its not an mri. This is a very painful procedure worse than the actual surgery.

after surgery I was limited to lifting no more than 5 pounds for 3 months. I was told if the milk jug was full someone needs to poor your milk. I was also in a brace that laced up like a corset, it went from my upper but to just under my chest. It had to be worn daily for 3 months the only time I didn't have to wear it was while sleeping and showering.

Recovery for me took much more time than your average person because I had been on pain killers for years. I probably would have been fine 6 months after but it took much longer. After the surgery the painkillers gave me phantom pains so I thought there was still a problem.

for surgery the timeline is 3 months doing nothing but letting the fusion area fuse. This time should be complete down time other than walking as much as you can while wearing the brace. Then come physical therapy which was 3 months. After this she should be back to 100%.

It has been a long time so I may not have covered it all. If you have any questions you can ask her or pm. I do know I woukd be looking for a doctor that works with athletes, because they try to get you back as good as before. While other doctors just try to make things better. Also fusion usually isn't on the table for bulging discs. The fusion saved myife though, without it I would be dead by now, using heroin, or in prison.

Jstone thanks for the response.

Check out this same thread in the lounge as it went more into detail.

She mistakenly told me 2 days back to work.

Know it's more like 1-2weeks since she's in a desk job.

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    1-2 weeks is more realistic. I was up walking the day after my surgery. I will check the other thread out. Make sure to research this doctor like you would a ugl. It took me a while to find the right doctor. I know from speeking to you in the past that your location should have some great doctors. This guy may be great, but just make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    1-2 weeks is more realistic. I was up walking the day after my surgery. I will check the other thread out. Make sure to research this doctor like you would a ugl. It took me a while to find the right doctor. I know from speeking to you in the past that your location should have some great doctors. This guy may be great, but just make sure.
    Yeah he is highly recommended and did her first surgery.

But I need to find out his name and do my own research on him.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80 View Post
    Yeah he is highly recommended and did her first surgery.

But I need to find out his name and do my own research on him.

Please keep us posted. Hope everything turns out well. I have some herniated discs in my neck and have the real possibility of surgery myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIN View Post

Please keep us posted. Hope everything turns out well. I have some herniated discs in my neck and have the real possibility of surgery myself.
    Definitely will Alin

Thread Information