Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience

Thread: Lower right back Sting from Rack pulls. Advice please.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member

Lower right back Sting from Rack pulls. Advice please.

Howdy BROTHERS!!!!. I been busy with work and classes i have and trying to fit in working out inbetween. Straight to the point and please because i never felt anything like this before.
    I been going super hard this week in the gym. And i normally take a full day off to recover after a large muscle group such as legs or back and because i do High intensity and high volume sessions such as HIT and HIIT but i think i do alot more then the normal. Lots of super sets and drop sets with heavy to moderate weight. But this week i was trying to get all my muscle groups in before this weekend when i work. So i started with shoulders monday. Tuesday-Legs and this was the most intense Leg day i have done in a long time. Then wednesday -Chest- thursday i rested but friday night i did back.

I felt my lower back kinda of fatigued from earlier this weeks lifts. Just a little sore. But nothing Odd.
    So i do my back workout. Upper back moves then lower back. I.e straight bar in corner t bar rows was the only bent over lift i did besides rack pulls.

THEN IT HAPPENED!!!! Note: the rack bars were set to lowest setting/below my knees. Wanted to be able to get more range of motion.
    I was using moderate weight, maybe about 20lbs less then what i normaly do. And i try to do about 6-8 reps. About the 5th or 6th rep i felt the sharp sting like electric stab in my lower right specifically. I had to grab the rack by the top and relieve any weight on my lower body it was so debilitating. After that i was able to walk it off provided i was limping. I was able to get in my truck and sit being mindfull of limited movement.
    The adtenaline was going at this point because i was able to walk around and twist around etc. with little to no pain. I had a little discomfort going up the steps but nothing to bad. I took a shower and my bodie would not allow me to bend over to wash my feet. I was able to raide my knees but couldnt bend that far to wash my feet.
    This was last night. When i had to get up and pee at night it was horrible getting out of bed buti managed with help from a cane. Today it hurts te same but now the adrenalines off it hurts to walk with the cane even.

God willing its something that time and rest will heal.

PLEASE Any advice.
    Last edited by Marsoc; 05-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsoc View Post
    Howdy BROTHERS!!!!. I been busy with work and classes i have and trying to fit in working out inbetween. Straight to the point and please because i never felt anything like this before.
    I been going super hard this week in the gym. And i normally take a full day off to recover after a large muscle group such as legs or back and because i do High intensity and high volume sessions such as HIT and HIIT but i think i do alot more then the normal. Lots of super sets and drop sets with heavy to moderate weight. But this week i was trying to get all my muscle groups in before this weekend when i work. So i started with shoulders monday. Tuesday-Legs and this was the most intense Leg day i have done in a long time. Then wednesday -Chest- thursday i rested but friday night i did back.

I felt my lower back kinda of fatigued from earlier this weeks lifts. Just a little sore. But nothing Odd.
    So i do my back workout. Upper back moves then lower back. I.e straight bar in corner t bar rows was the only bent over lift i did besides rack pulls.

THEN IT HAPPENED!!!! Note: the rack bars were set to lowest setting/below my knees. Wanted to be able to get more range of motion.
    I was using moderate weight, maybe about 20lbs less then what i normaly do. And i try to do about 6-8 reps. About the 5th or 6th rep i felt the sharp sting like electric stab in my lower right specifically. I had to grab the rack by the top and relieve any weight on my lower body it was so debilitating. After that i was able to walk it off provided i was limping. I was able to get in my truck and sit being mindfull of limited movement.
    The adtenaline was going at this point because i was able to walk around and twist around etc. with little to no pain. I had a little discomfort going up the steps but nothing to bad. I took a shower and my bodie would not allow me to bend over to wash my feet. I was able to raide my knees but couldnt bend that far to wash my feet.
    This was last night. When i had to get up and pee at night it was horrible getting out of bed buti managed with help from a cane. Today it hurts te same but now the adrenalines off it hurts to walk with the cane even.

God willing its something that time and rest will heal.

PLEASE Any advice.
    Check out my thread on managing low back injuries in the rehab section. See which describes your pain. It sounds like you either sprained your facet joint in the low back. You need to ice it immediately and avoid heat, try to stay mobile. The next 3 days will suck as swelling sets in, after that it will start to feel better.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Note: that i was keeping good form and makin sure my back was arched. I was making sure to be as natural movin as possible but i try to emphasize on the spinal erectors more so then legs. Is why i do rack pulls. I didnt think or know about setting the rack bars to above my knees. So i was on the lowest settinng which is where i went wrong. But my movement wasnt and couldnt have been any different then what happens with a full dead lift. I think its cuz my lower back was fatigued from earlier that week and my nervous system was light weight fried and maybe caused a lack of recruitment in an area that i needed lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Check out my thread on managing low back injuries in the rehab section. See which describes your pain. It sounds like you either sprained your facet joint in the low back. You need to ice it immediately and avoid heat, try to stay mobile. The next 3 days will suck as swelling sets in, after that it will start to feel better.
    Really!!!??? i just put a heat pad on my lower back lol . Its hard to get out of bed and figred i should rest as much as possible. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Really!!!??? i just put a heat pad on my lower back lol . Its hard to get out of bed and figred i should rest as much as possible. Thanks
    Swelling is amplified by heat. Swelling is your enemy as the damaged tissues leak their contents onto healthy tissue it irritates them and so on. Rest but don't stay bed ridden. You need to keep the muscles somewhat loose as they will contract very tightly and cause more pain. So ever so often get up and walk a bit. Put biofreeze or Something like that on the muscles instead of heat. That will keep them somewhat relaxed.
    Marsoc likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

This mever happened before. I really think its because i didnt allow my body to fully recover after legs. And Leg say was a Glorious day. Pretty sure my lower back was sore a but from squats i super set with leverage squat machine squats and at the very end of the session i added in 2 sets of leverage squats with the machine super set with weighted ham/glute extensions (i did not hyper extend).
    Notmally intake a full day off or 2 after Serious Leg day so i can fully recover. This time i didnt. I kept training other different muscle groups. I sure am praying that this isnt super major serious. And will heed your advice and give it a few days.
    Either way im definately ataying away from rack pulls or deadlifts for a while

Blog Entries
    This mever happened before. I really think its because i didnt allow my body to fully recover after legs. And Leg say was a Glorious day. Pretty sure my lower back was sore a but from squats i super set with leverage squat machine squats and at the very end of the session i added in 2 sets of leverage squats with the machine super set with weighted ham/glute extensions (i did not hyper extend).
    Notmally intake a full day off or 2 after Serious Leg day so i can fully recover. This time i didnt. I kept training other different muscle groups. I sure am praying that this isnt super major serious. And will heed your advice and give it a few days.
    Either way im definately ataying away from rack pulls or deadlifts for a while
    Good idea.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Im watching videos of rack pulls. Now i know what proper form is and am ultra aware and use it. Im trying to remember what went wrong. I was doing well. Using a weight lighter then normal even. And i was imagining it as i was doing it as just a top half of a dead lift. I think where i went wrong was at the end i was thinkkng about good mornings and how they are for the spinal erectors mainly and i wanted to focus on lower back more like a good morning since its back day. But i was already mid set using a weight that i have to lift with my hams/glutes and lower back etc. so i think my lower back might have changed posture a tiny tiny bit thinking i can maybe focus on the spinal erectors but i wouldnt do that mid set but that allowed for me to break that soild tension i had of posture for a milisecond and at that moment in the way up my lower back was probably out of solid form and allowed for a pinch or tweak or whatever it was. I cant believe it.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Swelling is amplified by heat. Swelling is your enemy as the damaged tissues leak their contents onto healthy tissue it irritates them and so on. Rest but don't stay bed ridden. You need to keep the muscles somewhat loose as they will contract very tightly and cause more pain. So ever so often get up and walk a bit. Put biofreeze or Something like that on the muscles instead of heat. That will keep them somewhat relaxed.
    back injuries are the one area of the body that it IS recommended to use heat in lieu of cold.
    I have been told this by numerous physicians including my current Orthopedic Surgeon.
    https://www.painscience.com/articles...exceptions.php
    Last edited by Sicko; 05-20-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    back injuries are the one area of the body that it IS recommended to use heat in lieu of cold.
    Not in my opinion, and especially not in the first 72 hours after an acute injury. I will have patients switch to contrast of hot and cold After 72 hours OR if feel that the inflammation and pain level is manageable.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Not in my opinion, and especially not in the first 72 hours after an acute injury. I will have patients switch to contrast of hot and cold After 72 hours OR if feel that the inflammation and pain level is manageable.
    Yeah... I guess it is a gray area dependent on the physicians preference and the type of injury.
    Obviously I am not a Dr. just going off of my experiences and advice provided. I have multiple neck & back issues as well as shoulder and both knees...I'm a wreck as my Ortho recently called me!!! ehehehhh...

Are you a physician Muscle science? My Moms friends with a great orthopedic surgeon. She worked with him in surgery and i did landscaping for his office years ago he let me use all the Nautilus machines there. I was blown away by all the Pro athletes and sports players he worked on. He had al their jerseys hanging in the wall around the building. Hopefully i feel better by the time i talk to him. Any advice still appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Yeah... I guess it is a gray area dependent on the physicians preference and the type of injury.
    Obviously I am not a Dr. just going off of my experiences and advice provided. I have multiple neck & back issues as well as shoulder and both knees...I'm a wreck as my Ortho recently called me!!! ehehehhh...
    Acute vs Chronic pain. Ice is only helpful during the acute phase. Chronic pain suffers will probably get no benefit form cold therapy. Honestly the empirical evidence for hot or cold therapy is very limited to say the least. That's why clinic experience matters to some extent.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Blog Entries
    Are you a physician Muscle science? My Moms friends with a great orthopedic surgeon. She worked with him in surgery and i did landscaping for his office years ago he let me use all the Nautilus machines there. I was blown away by all the Pro athletes and sports players he worked on. He had al their jerseys hanging in the wall around the building. Hopefully i feel better by the time i talk to him. Any advice still appreciated.
    I have a doctorate, that's all I will say ;-)
    Marsoc likes this.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Should i be icing now? I am able to get face down on my hands and knees doggy style lol and from there i can get out of bed way easier then sitting on my butt. But still when i get up and im not fully standing. When im at a bent over position its pretty hard and painfull to get fully erected. When i was walking im fine with no pain standing straight up but the slightest bend in my lower right back feels like its rigt above my ass a few inches above and to the right of my tail bone area i think.

Blog Entries
    Should i be icing now? I am able to get face down on my hands and knees doggy style lol and from there i can get out of bed way easier then sitting on my butt. But still when i get up and im not fully standing. When im at a bent over position its pretty hard and painfull to get fully erected. When i was walking im fine with no pain standing straight up but the slightest bend in my lower right back feels like its rigt above my ass a few inches above and to the right of my tail bone area i think.
    Ice for the next 3 days. Sounds like you have an L5-S1 facet sprain.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Im walking fine im lucky i been doing one leg presses and such. I can drop to one knee in a lunge position and as long ad i keep my back straight i can go down and pick something up and get up ok. Sitting in the recliner sucks. As soon as i go to bend or if i walk with normal dynamics on my right side it hurts. How long till this heals? So just ice it and dont stay in bed all day. Thanks bud.

Ps: will this heal up and i should be ok would u might say.
    I mean im acustomed to bending over and lifting shit all day coming from a construction background i.e masonry and tree work etc. so my lower back is conditioned. Not like i sit at desks all day. I wish i didnt overtrain like i feel i did. But i would like to eventually do rack pull again or not worry anout doing the same thing. Ill just be more smart in the gym and dont go to intense with you. ..would you day so.
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Marsoc; 05-20-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Thread Information