jc95605 is offline Senior Member

Arrow New chest routine-help!

I'm wanted to redo my chest workout again. I'm looking for size and strength. Here's what i'm thinking right now:

Flat BB bench 5x5
    Incline BB bench 5x5
    Decline BB bench 5x5
    Pec-Dec Flys (Cables) 3x10

I'll do this routine for about a month, then i'll switch to DB. I think its obvious that i'm trying to increase my bench. I'm told the 5x5 workout is real good for that. What you guys think?

Dinosaur is offline Member
    no body can tell you for sure if it will work for you or not, if that's what ur asking . but i can tell u from my past training that i had ran similar workout routine with heavy weight
    except in my workout routine i have added:
    2 sets of bumbell flat bench = 6 reps
    2 sets of bumbell incline bench = 6 reps
    i did 4 by 5 on both the flat and incline bench
    best advice to give is have a spotter behind " someone u trust " in the gym u "ll c a big deffrence while working on this routine.

since iam guy who like to try to hit the muscle from all angles, i have noticed a little increase in my bench press and lilttle definition in the middle chest.
    i make sure i worm up before going heavy something i learned through my bad experince.

I was asking generally what kind of results this workout gives. Obviously there are dozens are variables to consider but i just want to get an idea. Now just so i understand you correctly you did the workout i posted above and you added the 2 DB benches. About how long were you doing this workout until you saw a difference? How long have you been doing in total?

Darksyde is offline Member
    i would not be able to apply the intensity i want to that many sets.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

I don't even bother with flat bench these days, because after a few years of training, the middle chest is usually huge and upper chest is lacking (generally speaking).

At the moment I do:
    Incline DB press 3 x 10,8,6
    Slight incline flyes 3 x 10,8,6
    Dumbbell pullovers 3 x 6-10
    Weighted chest dips 3 x 6-10

Then again, lifting HEAVY is the only advice I can give to anyone looking to pack on some size. As mentioned, get a spotter, smash those sets, and go home.

Ya in the past i've had great success with the pyramid routine. Close to what your doing Hamish. It increase my strength but didn't do too much on size. I haven't tried the 5x5 so i'm kinda eager to see what happens. Also how long do you guys wait in between sets with the 5x5? How about your routine Hamish?

I have done it for 1 month and i did put all my focus on it, plus i made sure i reach failure sometimes with a spotter helping me in the last rep.
    make sure to go to failure without putting the muscle in danger. my usual routine i found out that works for me best is i like to do heavy weight for 1 month and take 2 weeks for moderate weight to work with. 2 competetor b/b i trained with r doing the same routine i asked each one of them why? they told me u need to focus on putting muscle and strength during the heavy workout routine, while separating the muscle when doing the moderate to light weight it also triggers the inner muscles plus u don't risk having an injury while u go heavy all the time.

jc95605
    Also how long do you guys wait in between sets with the 5x5? How about your routine Hamish?
    personnaly i take anywhere from 30sc up 2 min sometimes, i use to take 20 sc but i ran out of breath so i found my self comfortable on the numbers i mentioned. of course i beleive when u go heavy u need more time than going light.
    what u should do 1st listen to your body to c what ur comfortable with, try to go with less minutes break 30sc up to a 1min if u don't feel its enough up it to 2 or 3 min until u feel ur breathing almost normal. i hope that helps.

Gears is offline Member
    Yeah, same. I`m usually pretty fried by the 5-6th set.

Darksyde is offline Member
    for my first two exercises i will wait up to 4 mins between my last and heavyiest sets. i often use a stopwatch to make sure i am not going again too soon.
    i want to be fully recovered as much as i can for these massive (relative) lifts.

for my first two exercises i will wait up to 4 mins between my last and heavyiest sets. i often use a stopwatch to make sure i am not going again too soon.
    i want to be fully recovered as much as i can for these massive (relative) lifts.

I like doing it that way too. I think i might start this friday.

ergo is offline New Member
    Well Said. My next set will be when I know I can repeat my last set. 3,4,5 minutes. I'm lifting god awfully hard for two sets then on to another exercise repeat.

Thread Information