Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Baseline's Power/Hypertrophy Routine

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100

Baseline's Power/Hypertrophy Routine

Baseline's Power/Hypertrophy Routine

I am writing this routine out because I have recently had great success with it on a client basis and am now using it myself with great results so far... I have developed this routine by simply reading what people are doing and what others have had success with. The main bulk of this style of training I learned from Layne Norton...

If you do not know, Layne Norton is a Pro Natural Bodybuilder with a PhD in Nutritional Sciences and a BS in Biochemistry... Not only does he have a good brain, he also has a half decent physique for a natural guy..... Yes, that 'half decent' part was sarcastic.

Overview of routine

I am going to lay out the routine for you to get it into your mind first and then talk about it...

Monday – Lower Body Power Day

Tuesday – Upper Body Power Day

Wednesday – Rest

Thursday – Lower Body Hypertrophy Day

Friday – Upper Body Hypertrophy Day

Saturday – Rest

Sunday – Rest

So as you can see, this is a double Upper/Lower split over a seven day period. You will be training your whole body two times per week. Two Heavy Power Days where the emphasis is maximum and continued bar weight progression and two Hypertrophy Days where the emphasis is more on 'hitting the muscle from a few angles with slow, deep reps and maximum Range Of Movement (ROM)...

I have designed the layout like this simply because most people like to work on a weekly basis (over seven days)... However If you can, it may be a good idea to do this routine over an eight day period, two days on, two days off [1]... This will simply allow an extra day of recovery between Power Days and Hypertrophy Days.

Training Frequency

One of the keys to this routine is the fact that you are training the whole body two times per week instead of the usual once per week, high volume type workouts that you read in the magazines. Please remember that those high volume routines are designed to work well for experienced Bodybuilder's that are using a lot of drugs etc... I and others [2] do not believe that type of routine will work optimally for Mr Average Joe. Please not the word optimally.

For regular people I believe that training the body two times per week with lower volume is by far the better option. One, you are doubling the growth phases and two, you are giving yourself more opportunities to progress.

Now to all of you that are reading this and thinking that this routine will lead to Over-Training (OT), you are wrong and I am going to explain why. But firstly I am going to outline a few things with regards to OT...

Overtraining

What is OT and how does it occur?

Here is a quote from Lye McDonald...

“Overtraining occurs when there is a long-term imbalance between the training load and recovery processes that, for a given athlete, leads to a decrement in performance that takes more than 2-3 weeks to return to normal”

So basically what Lye is trying to say is OT is the result to training too much or too hard for too long. As I have stated in the past, OT occurs via a cumulative effect of too much for too long. You cannot go into the gym and in one all out high volume session put your body into an Over-Trained state... OT has more to do with Central Nervous System (CNS) overload rather than muscular overload on a local basis. Another thing to note is that you cannot make any OT assumptions with regards to this training style yet since no Training Volume has been discussed as of yet. In my opinion Volume has a lot to do with Over-Training.

Power Training

I am sure that most people are aware of the benefits heavy training or as i am going to call it 'Power Training', has to offer us as Bodybuilders. Overload Type 2 muscle fibers, help to develop a thick and solid base to a physique. Look at Franco Columbu and Arnold, they both began there lifting with basic Power Training principles and look where it got them...

Power Training in this routine is a key, if not the key to the success you will achieve while using a Power/Hypertrophy split. This is because the main focus of this routine is that you make continued progress over an extended period of time. Power training will give you the focus you need to come in each week and beat last weeks training session (Progressive Tension Overload (PTO))... PTO is the key to any growth. I do not care what anyone says. If your not making progress with your training (adding weight, reps, volume etc...) then I doubt that your physique is progressing either.

I have briefly talked about PTO and how important it is but what does it mean in this routine and how is it going to be applied... Firstly I must outline both Power Training Days.

Lower Body Power Training

This is going to consist of one Compound movement for each major muscle group, Quads, Hamstring's and Calves (Calves is obviously not going to be a Compound movement).

An example of a Lower Body Power Routine could be as follows...

Warm up on with some light cardio and stretch out for a total of 10-15 minutes

Squat's - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 3-10 reps (see FAQ at bottom), followed by 4 working sets at or around your 5 Rep Max (5RM))

Romanian Dead Lift's or standard DL's - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 3-10 reps (see FAQ at bottom), followed by 4 working sets at or around your 5 Rep Max (5RM))

Seated Calf Raise's - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 3-10 reps (see FAQ at bottom), followed by 4 working sets at or around your 5 Rep Max (5RM))

*Rest periods are always 3 minutes between sets on Power Day*
    *The weight you pick for your working sets must be one that is your 5RM for your first working set*
    *Every set and weight must be recorded so that weekly progression can be monitored*

Upper Body Power Training

This is going to consist of one Compound movement for each major muscle group, Chest, Lats and Delts.

An example of a Upper Body Power Routine could be as follows...

Warm up with some cardio and stretch out for a total of 10-15 minutes

Benchpress - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 3-10 reps (see FAQ at bottom), followed by 4 working sets at or around your 5 Rep Max (5RM))

Supported T-Bar Row - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 3-10 reps (see FAQ at bottom), followed by 4 working sets at or around your 5 Rep Max (5RM))

Barbell Shoulder Press - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 3-10 reps (see FAQ at bottom), followed by 4 working sets at or around your 5 Rep Max (5RM))

*Rest periods are always 3 minutes between sets on Power Day*
    *The weight you pick for your working sets must be one that is your 5RM for your first working set*
    *Every set and weight must be recorded so that weekly progression can be monitored*

Now back to PTO and where it is going to occur in your Power Training. PTO in this routine is going to come in the form of weight increments week by week... Now, your genetics and drug use are going to be a massive factor in how much weight you can add and how often you can add the weight...

I think that increasing the weight in the smallest increment as soon as you can perform all of your working sets for 5 reps without a spotter is a good idea... For example, on week one you can Bench 100kg for 3 sets of 5 and then the final set you needed a spotter but the following week (week 2) you managed to get 5 reps on all 4 working sets. At this point you need to increase the weight (so that PTO is occuring) by a small amount. Week 3 you may come in and perform your working sets at 101Kg or 102.5Kg (Depends on what weights you have).

People may be depressed about adding 1Kg to there bench in 2 weeks but just think about it. If you can add weight to the bar over an extended period of time (De-Loads required but will cover that later under 'The importance of periodization') you can make some excellent progress. And that is the key, progress! Make progress with your Power Training and you will also make progress with your physique.

The importance of 'Basic Compound Lifts' in Power training

It is so important with this type of routine that you stick with an exercise and perform it week in week out. If you were to try and change thing up you would never know where you are with regards to your progression. If you perform the same movements week in/week out you know exactly what you need to do to beat the previous session and make progress.

For those of you who are thinking that you must constantly change movements to stop yourself plateauing you are completely incorrect IMHO. Changing the movement is exactly the reason that you are plateauing. You never know what you need to do to progress...

When you hit a plateau on this routine you do not change the movement! You simply 'De-Load' for a few weeks and then get right back on it again and break through the plateau...

I am going to leave it at that with regards to platauing as I am going to be covering it in detail later on in 'The importance of periodization'.

To summarise the Power training part of this routine....

* One Compound Movement for each major muscle group

* Four Straight sets at your 5RM (5RM for your first working set)

* Rep Tempo - 3 Seconds down (eccentric) - Pause - 1 Second up (concentric) (Explosive concentric)

* Three minute rest periods between sets to allow for maximum weight

* All sets and reps to be logged

* Progressive Tension Overload via small weight increments

* Continued progress over an extended period of time

* Periodization (To be covered later)

Hypertrophy Training

And now onto Hypertrophy Training. Many of the Hypertrophy Training principles will not differ greatly form that of Power Training. There are however some obvious difference that will complement the routine in contrast to the Power Training.

The word hypertrophy in this routine is simply to show that there are two sides to this training program. It is not to suggest that on Power Days you will not be creating any muscular growth and that you grow from Hypertrophy days only... In actual fact I would say quite the opposite. Either way, the combination of both works and gives you a well balanced routine IMO.

Lower Body Hypertrophy Training

This is going to consist of Two Movement's for each major muscle group, Quads, Hamstring's and Calves. Preferably two compound movement but you could do one compound and one isolation. Again, calves will be isolation.

An example of a Lower Body Hypertrophy Routine could be as follows...

Leg Press - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 10 reps, followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Hack Squat's - (One Light feel set followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Seated Leg Curl - (One Light feel set followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Lying Leg Curl - (One Light feel set followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Standing Calf Raise - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 10 reps, followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Seated Calf raise - (One Light feel set followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

*Rest periods are always 1-1.5 minutes between sets on Power Day*
    *The weight you pick for your working sets must be one that is your 10RM for your first working set*
    *Allow a spotter to slightly assist on final sets if 10 reps cannot be achieved 'solo'*
    *Emphasise the depth and make sure all reps are slow (3 seconds down and 3 seconds up*
    *Utalise machines as much as you can to keep the training 'moving' as quickly as possible*

Upper Body Hypertrophy Training

This is going to consist of two Movement's for each major muscle group, Chest, Back, Delts and one movement for Traps, Triceps and Biceps. This is a fairly high volume training day but you should be moving quickly with shorter rest periods etc... The use of machines is great to speed up your training and in my opinion is critical...

An example of a Upper Body Hypertrophy Routine could be as follows...

Incline Dumbell Bench - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 10 reps, followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Machine Flys - (One Light feel set followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Lat Pull Down's - (Three Warm up sets at a light weight for around 10 reps, followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Low Cable Row's - (One Light feel set followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Side Laterals - (One Warm up sets at a light weight for around 10 reps, followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Rear Laterals - (One Light feel set followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Shrugs - (One Warm up sets at a light weight for around 10 reps, followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Tricep Push Downs - (Two Warm up sets at a light weight for around 10 reps, followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

Barbell Curls - (Two Warm up sets at a light weight for around 10 reps, followed by 3 working sets at or around your 10 Rep Max (10RM))

*Rest periods are always 1-1.5 minutes between sets on Power Day*
    *The weight you pick for your working sets must be one that is your 10RM for your first working set*
    *Allow a spotter to slightly assist on final sets if 10 reps cannot be achieved 'solo'*
    *Emphasise the depth and make sure all reps are slow (3 seconds down and 3 seconds up*
    *Utilise machines as much as you can to keep the training 'moving' as quickly as possible*

To summarise the Hypertrophy training part of this routine....

*Two movement's for each major muscle group

*One movement for smaller Muscle group's

*Three Straight sets at your 10RM (10RM for your first working set)

*Rep Tempo - 3 Seconds down (eccentric) - Pause - 3 Second up (concentric)

*One minute rest periods between sets

*All sets and reps to be logged

*Periodization (To be covered later)

Looking at the contrast

Now that you have an example of both Power and hypertrophy routines you can see the differences. The main differences being the rep range and the number of exercises.

A subtle difference on paper but a huge difference in 'real life' is the tempo of the training and the extra control that you should be focusing on when performing the Hypertrophy Days. I want to highlight the importance of controlled reps on both Power and Hypertrophy days. Just because you are trying to move the weight from point A to B on Power Days does not mean it is going to be easy. Remember that You are still focusing on a slow and controlled negative (3 seconds for both Power and hypertrophy) with a slight pause at the furthest eccentric part of the movement (bottom).

So what is the point of the Hypertrophy day if most of the progression is going to occur on the Power Days? Why not just do two Power Days?

There is nothing wrong with just doing the Power Training two times a week (two Lower Power and two Upper Power), however I do not see an advantage of doing this as I do not believe you can progress quickly enough to take advantage of doubling the Power Training days. I do however think that adding the Hypertrophy Training complements this routine very well for a few reasons:

* Allows the CNS to recover some what from the Heavy Power Training days*

* Enables you to 'hit' a muscle group form a few different angles, enabling maximum fiber requiement and development*

* Helps to develop a balanced physique and gives you flexibility to make adjustments where required (weak point training, injury prevention etc..)*

* Gives you some variate to your training*

The importance of periodization

I have said in this article before that there are some 'key' things to this routine and I will say it again with regards to Periodization. Periodization is a key part in all weight training routines and life in general, however it is often overlooked and the results will eventually be either Over-Training or more likely a plateau.

Generally OT will occur after a plateau since the first thing a trainee will do when they plataue is increase volume, frequency or a combination of both, eventually resulting in OT. I would like to bet that 70% of all trainees are at or near this point as you read this article.

So what is periodization?

Well it is pretty self explanatory. Periodization with regards to training and this routine specifically simply means we will 'Blast' for as long as possible and 'De-Load' if we hit a plateau (Similar to Ronnie Rowland's STS). It means that we have different periods where our goals will be different and we will need to change our training in relation to the goal.

By 'blasting' I mean making progress each week as stated above in the Power Training Section and shown below, later on...

A 'De-load' would simply consist of decreasing the intensity of your training for a two to three week period by A, Reducing the weight... B, Increasing the reps. I would simply do half the amount of total sets per week and increase the reps on Power days to 10 and the reps on Hypertrophy days to 20...

This will give the CNS a break and will also increase Insulin sensitivity. Thus allowing you to come back stronger, refreshed and ready to smash your plateau...

How long should I 'Blast' and 'De-Load'?

This is going to vary greatly but will the main contributing factors will be genetics, drug use and diet.

I recommend Basting for as long as you can. If you never stop making progress, what more could you possibly want. In reality people will be able to blast for six to ten weeks and then de-load for two to three weeks.

Some may find that while using AAS they can Blast for the entirety of the cycle. Others may plateau at around the 8 week mark.

You have two options to break a plateau while on cycle...

*De-Load and then Blast again

*Increase Dosage

And that is all I am going to say about AAS.

An example of a 'Blast/De-Load'

Say for example you have successfully blasted for 8 weeks and made weight increments (Total of 5Kg) and you now cannot break the personal best for the 2nd week (see example below).

Week 1 - Bench 100.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 5, reps, 3 reps
    Week 2 - Bench 101.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 5, reps, 5 reps
    Week 3 - Bench 102.5kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 3, reps, 3 reps
    Week 4 - Bench 102.5kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 5, reps, 3 reps
    Week 5 - Bench 102.5kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 5, reps, 5 reps
    Week 6 - Bench 105.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 3, reps, 3 reps
    Week 7 - Bench 105.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 3, reps, 3 reps
    Week 8 - Bench 105.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 3, reps, 3 reps

You can see the plateau at week 7 and it was not broken at week 8... This means time to De-Load for two to three weeks and then blast again as follows

Week 9,10,11 - De-Load
    Week 12 - Bench 105.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 3 reps
    Week 13 - Bench 105.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps
    Week 14 - Bench 105.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps
    Week 15 - Bench 107.5kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps, 3 reps
    Week 16 - Bench 107.5kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 3 reps
    Week 17 - Bench 107.5kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps
    Week 18 - Bench 110.0kg 5 reps, 5 reps, 3, reps, 3 reps
    etc.....

Above you can see the De-Load and then the Blast.

Conclusion

In closing I am going to say good luck to anyone who decides to give my routine a try. I hope it will help to get some guys and hopefully girls back on track with there training.

This routine works! It works because week in/week out you are right there at your limit. You know what needs to be done to break your limit and progress to the next level. By now you will realise that the key to this routine is the progression, just as it should be in all routines if your looking to grow over an extended period of time. Progression needs to be monitored accurately so that adjustments can be made to create progressive overload... If you are not making adjustments you are simply spinning your wheels...

If you have read this article and do not like the sound of adding small amounts of weight to the bar over time and remain adamant that you want to increase your Bench or squat by 20Kg in one month I shall say this...

A Sky Scraper is build floor by floor... You cannot be working on the 60th floor before you have built the 59th...

Make progress each time you go into the gym. Make it a war against the weight on Power Days, a war against the 'Burn' on Hypertrophy Days, and you too could one day be a Sky Scraper.

Thank you for reading, stay sharp

enjoy.....

Baseline - 06.05.11

If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to post them below.

FAQ's

What weight should I use for my warm up sets on Power Days and how many reps should I be warming up with?

It is important IMO that warm ups sets are just that, warm up sets...

A warm up set should, IMHO be no where near failure... For example.....

You know your 5RM = 365Lbs

Remember a warm up on a bike and then some strenching and mobility work is reccomended.

Warm Up Set 1 - 135 x 10 reps

Warm Up set 2 - 225 x 5 reps

Warm Up set 3 - 315 x 3 reps

IMHO I may throw another warm up set in here (365 x 1 rep, just for the muscle to feel the weight)

Working Set 1 - 365 x 5 reps

Working Set 2 - 365 x 5 reps

Working Set 3 - 365 x 3 reps

Working set 4 - 365 x 3 reps

*Notice the reps going down as the weight gets heavier... I believe this is important with this type of training where maximum poundage is what we are shooting for. IMO it is important to get the weight on the muscle without stressing the muscle too much.

*By the time you are ready to begin your first working set you should be fully warmed up, you should be ready to perform reps at your working weight however you should not be fatigued... Keep warm up sets as a warm up!

Refrences

[1] http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

[2] http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html
    Last edited by baseline_9; 09-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Windex is offline Staff ~ HRT Optimization Specialist
    Just skimmed it over, will have to read it over in depth a few times when I get to sit down. Great post.

Bigd89 is offline Senior Member
    Good read! I will be testing this program starting tomorrow.

BoxerTricks07 is offline Junior Member
    Good read,

I`ve always believed that by "power training" your going to achieve hypertrophy anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Windex View Post
    Just skimmed it over, will have to read it over in depth a few times when I get to sit down. Great post.
    Yeh it is a lot to read but the concept is simple...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigd89 View Post
    Good read! I will be testing this program starting tomorrow.
    Great! It may take you 2-3 weeks to work out the weights that you need to be using but once you do its great.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerTricks07 View Post
    Good read,

I`ve always believed that by "power training" your going to achieve hypertrophy anyway?
    On paper, theorists may say that Power training does not create hypertrophy, but rather train the CNS to 'fire' faster....

Theory being, mass x acceleration = power.... Train the CNS to 'fire' faster and you will increase acceleration, thus increasing Power....

TBH the whole power concept of this training routine is there to help develop good training habits, where a trainee will come into the gym with a clear goal in mind, hit that goal and then move on from there (progression)...

The bottom line is that if you can develop power in the 5 rep range you will grow.... Were not talking about singles here and 5 reps is not far away from the lower end of the reccomended rep range for Hypertrophy... (6-12 IMO, some may argue 8-12)

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

nav13 is offline Junior Member
    When doing these so called warm up sets are we talking with weight you are only capable of doing a max of 10 reps with or just light weight? EX: (squats) Power day: 5 RM max = around 365 would you warm up by doing day 135 first warm up set then 225 2nd set then around 315 3rd set or are you wanting the person to do warm up sets with more weight say 225 then 2 sets of 315? Sounds like a good routine. I usually just stick with routine doing 4 sets of 6 reps for 6 weeks then go down to 3 sets of 10 reps for 3 weeks and switch back and forth. Similar principle just not the same in regards to power movements and hypertrophy training same week. I might have to give this a shot in a bit to change up my routine and see how it works. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by nav13 View Post
    When doing these so called warm up sets are we talking with weight you are only capable of doing a max of 10 reps with or just light weight? EX: (squats) Power day: 5 RM max = around 365 would you warm up by doing day 135 first warm up set then 225 2nd set then around 315 3rd set or are you wanting the person to do warm up sets with more weight say 225 then 2 sets of 315? Sounds like a good routine. I usually just stick with routine doing 4 sets of 6 reps for 6 weeks then go down to 3 sets of 10 reps for 3 weeks and switch back and forth. Similar principle just not the same in regards to power movements and hypertrophy training same week. I might have to give this a shot in a bit to change up my routine and see how it works. Good post.
    Well good luck if you do decide to try it out.... Im looking for feedback and will be here to help you if you need any support... Now to answer your question

It is important IMO that warm ups sets are just that, warm up sets...

A warm up set should, IMHO be no where near failure... For example.....

You know your 5RM = 365Lbs

Remember a warm up on a bike and then some strenching and mobility work is reccomended.

Warm Up Set 1 - 135 x 10 reps

Warm Up set 2 - 225 x 5 reps

Warm Up set 3 - 315 x 3 reps

IMHO I may throw another warm up set in here (365 x 1 rep, just for the muscle to feel the weight)

Working Set 1 - 365 x 5 reps

Working Set 2 - 365 x 5 reps

Working Set 3 - 365 x 3 reps

Working set 4 - 365 x 3 reps

*Notice the reps going down as the weight gets heavier... I believe this is important with this type of training where maximum poundage is what we are shooting for. IMO it is important to get the weight on the muscle without stressing the muscle too much.

*By the time you are ready to begin your first working set you should be fully warmed up, you should be ready to perform reps at your working weight however you should not be fatigued... Keep warm up sets as a warm up!

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Good writeup Base. Some good stuff in here and I'm looking forward to seeing results from those who try it.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Great Post mate...

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Some great information here mate, still not had chance to read it all but will get round to it for sure..

How do you get on with stretching? ive added extreme stretching to all my routines with massive success....
    Do not ask me for a source check.

nav13 is offline Junior Member
    ok that is what I figured thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Good writeup Base. Some good stuff in here and I'm looking forward to seeing results from those who try it.
    Me too!
    Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    Great Post mate...
    Thanks buddy... Make sure you log your progress and get it on here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Some great information here mate, still not had chance to read it all but will get round to it for sure..

How do you get on with stretching? ive added extreme stretching to all my routines with massive success....
    I have used extreme stretching with DC and found it gave me a kind of 'full' look... I have not factored it into this program but maybe adding it into the De-Loads would be a good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post

Thanks buddy... Make sure you log your progress and get it on here...
    Will do mate. Like I said ill give it a about 2-3 weeks see how I feel and if i progress throughout. Will keep you updated...

black6 is offline New Member

quick question as far as the stretching goes. I have heard that stretching before you worked out tears the muscle and should be done after not before. I do warm ups before like stated, just not the stretching. Did i get misinformation?

big_ron is offline Anabolic Member
    Here is a video of the whole program done by layne norton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOr-...eature=related

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Base - I think its great you have taken something you have used and gotten good reuslt with your clients and yourself and shared it here. It obviously took you quite a bit of time to put together- great of you to take the time to do that. I have skimmed over it and it looks pretty interesting. To be honest my head starts to hurt reading something so long scrolling down the computer screen! Ive cut and poasted it to word and printed it out. I plan on reading the whole thing start to finish - considering giving it a try.
    Thanks and great job Base!

stack_it is offline Nothing to it, but to do it
    Been thinking about changing my routine up. I might give this a try.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    i think id struggle to hit certain parts x2 pw mate, esp if i was hitting big squats and dlifts on the power phase but i spose one could hold back a bit to allow some room in the tank for the hyper phase. for me this would be something id try only on a big cycle with slin for the ultra fast recovery
    it reminds me of a more compact version of a-b training, a being heavy week and b lighter week, ive had success myself and with training clients on the a-b style. gives optimal recovery time.

one thing i would point out is that all out dlifting can go stale soon if performed every week, ive only ever dlifted every 2wks and the times ive tried to every week i have burned out pretty rapidly.

i might try this at end of summer when i hit the slin again. good job, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by big_ron View Post
    Here is a video of the whole program done by layne norton http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOr-...eature=related
    Yes^^^

I'm going to try and get more of the Layne Norton Power/Hypertrophy videos and get them on here to show you guys what it's all about...

I have never really seen Layne Norton outline a progressive element to this training program... Something that I really push with this....

BTW guys, Layne has a few videos on YouTube about this training if u get there b4 me... That's where I found it, videos are really good but u dont see a detailed program like this...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Base - I think its great you have taken something you have used and gotten good reuslt with your clients and yourself and shared it here. It obviously took you quite a bit of time to put together- great of you to take the time to do that. I have skimmed over it and it looks pretty interesting. To be honest my head starts to hurt reading something so long scrolling down the computer screen! Ive cut and poasted it to word and printed it out. I plan on reading the whole thing start to finish - considering giving it a try.
    Thanks and great job Base!
    Yes m8....

It is a lot to read, if you scan you should be able to see the bold.... I will go through later and highlight an overview...

Quote Originally Posted by stack_it View Post
    Been thinking about changing my routine up. I might give this a try.
    Make sure you let us know if you do
    Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    i think id struggle to hit certain parts x2 pw mate, esp if i was hitting big squats and dlifts on the power phase but i spose one could hold back a bit to allow some room in the tank for the hyper phase. for me this would be something id try only on a big cycle with slin for the ultra fast recovery
    it reminds me of a more compact version of a-b training, a being heavy week and b lighter week, ive had success myself and with training clients on the a-b style. gives optimal recovery time.

one thing i would point out is that all out dlifting can go stale soon if performed every week, ive only ever dlifted every 2wks and the times ive tried to every week i have burned out pretty rapidly.

i might try this at end of summer when i hit the slin again. good job, cheers.
    I agree on the DL's bro.... Even I have not been able to decide on full DL's or SLDL's... That's why I mentioned both...

Not sure what your usuall volume per bodypart per week is, but I suspect that for most people it would be about the same as this training programs over the week

I would be interested in this routine + slin...

Could someone on a cutting diet recover from this type of workout???

BoxerTricks07 is offline Junior Member
    Will make no difference mate, depending on your protein intake

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerTricks07 View Post
    Will make no difference mate, depending on your protein intake
    Thats what I was thinking but wanted to clarify. Also change my Carbs to half before and half PWO to get full benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    Could someone on a cutting diet recover from this type of workout???
    As the main element to this training program is progression any gains will obviously be slower while trying to cut...

If I was cutting and wanting to run this program I would be looking to maintain my lifts more than actually increase them...

When cutting people think that they need to drop he weight, intensity etc.. But IMO you need to keep pushing hard if you want to maintain your size...

Expect to make gains up untill a certain point but then plateau... That plateau will not only be down to burn out but also lack of calories....

I would never tell a dieter to expect to gain LBM, however if there is a routine out there that would enable it I would certianly think this one would...

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black6 View Post
    quick question as far as the stretching goes. I have heard that stretching before you worked out tears the muscle and should be done after not before. I do warm ups before like stated, just not the stretching. Did i get misinformation?
    As base said if you follow DC's extreme stretching its done at the end of your routine, ive had great results doing this and by god it fvcking hurts....
    Do not ask me for a source check.

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    As the main element to this training program is progression any gains will obviously be slower while trying to cut...

If I was cutting and wanting to run this program I would be looking to maintain my lifts more than actually increase them...

When cutting people think that they need to drop he weight, intensity etc.. But IMO you need to keep pushing hard if you want to maintain your size...

Expect to make gains up untill a certain point but then plateau... That plateau will not only be down to burn out but also lack of calories....

I would never tell a dieter to expect to gain LBM, however if there is a routine out there that would enable it I would certianly think this one would...
    With this in mind ill think ill wait and use this program for my first bulk. That way I can progress every week.
    Keep me updated on your progress using it though bro and put it into your log! thanks for your help...

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    As base said if you follow DC's extreme stretching its done at the end of your routine, ive had great results doing this and by god it fvcking hurts....
    i know a pro bb that i talk to every once and a while and he told me to start stretching the body part i worked out after my workout. i never listened my now i should lol

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    Its interesting and will work for most.

But I'd say its just a more complex method of what I already do.
    Cept I do 3 day a week.
    Heavy, low volume, till I feel my CNS is burning out. Then switch to lighter, higher volume routine.
    Dont have to make it so complex sounding. (at least on paper)

The ideas and format of it is def solid though.

Lately Ive been doing full body routines with great success.

Maybe Ill try it when I get bored with my routine now.

Just had a great lower body hyper day 2day...

Really guys... This routine kills it....

A shameless BUMP!

Taking three days off is probably the hardest part of this split...Week one down. Thanks for the read...

Quote Originally Posted by _CrossroadS_ View Post
    Taking three days off is probably the hardest part of this split...Week one down. Thanks for the read...
    Does that mean that you are trying this program out?

For me personally training more than 4 days a week (weight training) really catches up with me quick...

I have tried 3, 4, 5 and 6 days a week... 4 is best for me... And that comes out in this program...

If you want you could do a 3rd hyper day and split upper body into 2 sessions... However I would not do this as I think it is too much....

Yes, I'm giving it a shot. The upper body workout is pretty time consuming. I just do cardio, maybe a little core work, some paddleboarding, etc on the days off. Just used to being in the gym 6 days a week. Week two in progress. I think it'll take 3 or 4 weeks to get proper weights/progression down.

manblue is offline Junior Member
    really good reed this , going to give it a whirl on Monday . cheers

Just wanted to give a bump for this one. I'm almost a month in. Seeing some strength increases. I'm sure size will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by _CrossroadS_ View Post
    Just wanted to give a bump for this one. I'm almost a month in. Seeing some strength increases. I'm sure size will follow.
    Please add some detail.....

Im interested at least

Techjunkie91 is offline New Member
    Great info btw.

In your post you say its an example, would it hurt using the examples ?

Quote Originally Posted by Techjunkie91 View Post
    Great info btw.

In your post you say its an example, would it hurt using the examples ?
    Not at all...

That's why I put them in there, just adapt it to suit you

I'll be finishing 8 weeks of this program at the end of this month.

Heavy Legs:

Squats
    Seated Calf Raises
    Straight Leg Deads

Heavy Upper Body

Bench
    T Bar Rows
    Dumbell Lateral Raises

Light Legs

Leg press
    Seated Calf Raises
    Seated Hamstring Curls
    Front Squats
    Standing Calf Raises
    Standing Hamstring Curls

Light Upper Body Day

Incline Dumbell Press
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns
    Cable Lateral Raises
    Decline Fly
    Close Grip Pulldowns
    Reverse Fly (rear delt)
    Tricep Pushdown
    Incline Bench Curls

I will take 1RM's at the end of June, have two weeks to "deload" if you will, and then start again mid July. My lifts have all increased. I'll know exactly how much in two weeks. I could probably go another 2-4 weeks and continue to increase on my lifts, but I have a vacation coming up for 4th of July so the timing is good.

I'm going to make a couple changes in July:

Heavy Leg Day

Box Squats
    Seated Calf Raises
    Straight Leg Deadlifts

Heavy Upper Body Day

PullUps
    Incline Bench
    Cable Lateral Raises
    Rack Pulls

Light Leg Day

Front Squat
    Standing Calf Raises
    Standing Hamstring Curls
    Leg Press
    Seated Calf Raises
    Seated Hamstring Curls

Light Upper Body Day

Dumbell lateral Raises
    Wide Grip Pull Downs
    Decline Dumbell Press
    Reverse Fly Cables
    TBar Rows
    Dips
    Preacher Curls
    SkullCrushers

Notes:

I'm doing the sets/reps recommended in the original post. Adding more wide grip back, as my lats aren't following the rest of me.

My bench has increased a good bit. I think this is a combination of this workout, along with not doing any overhead presses. My shoulders feel great, and look, if anything, better.

Had to add Rack Pulls. I like the T-bar Rows, but I gotta have my deadlifts.

Any ideas for a different hamstring and calf excercise?

I'll post weight increases when I do my 1RM's

Thanks for the BUMP and the update.... I cant w8 to see your b4 and after weights...

Hamstrings - Glute ham raises, dubbell leg curls (holding DB between feet, lying on a decline bench)

Can you give us an example....

Whats happened to your bench in these 8 weeks

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    I ran a log of this template over at BBD back in the day when Layne ran his section of the forum for a bit. It was the longest log ever. I of course swaped his template around to suite my needs but nontheless this was the funnest log/journal I've ever done. Lasted about 6 months and was over a 1000 pages of my day in the life/dieting/food and of course the power/hypertrophy workouts. By far the most taxing but effective template I've ever ran.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information