Thread: partial reps

lc1213 is offline Associate Member

partial reps

i joined a gym a few weeks back. got tired of lifting weights outside. anyway, i see these younger guys (18-22 age) that load up the bar and only do partial reps. not like the ones that are for isolation and you start at the bottom and go halfway, they are starting at the top (arms fully extended) and then bringing the weight down maybe 6 inches from their starting position and back up and locking out and that's one rep , basically just bending their elbows. these guys probably weigh 140 pounds and are moving 160 pounds not benching 160 pounds. i would guess that they couldn't even bench their own body weight. i guess it is just a pet peeve of mine but if you are going to take the time to go workout, make the workout count.

devildog1967 is offline Associate Member
    Partial reps have there place i tend to do them after my normal top weight sets and reps (FULL movement REPS ) then i reduce the weight and partial 10 half bottom to middle then 10 middle to top , Its a great burner and finisher . I suppose its like you would do 21s for bi curl .

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    ^^Partial range of motion reps for the biceps still work the biceps, doing only the top 1/3 of a movement on pressing exercises doesnt work the chest.

Livinlean is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I used to do partial reps the same way your talking about them when I first started working out, probably about 4-5 years ago. I know its not the best thing to do but I didn't know any better.. But to this day I think it did work.

I was barely able to bench a plate at that point I started working out with a good friend of mine who did these partial reps. I got up to 3 plates in about 2-3 months he got up to 4. At that point he pulled something in his arm don't remember what but it scared me off from partial reps. When I went back to normal reps (about 2 inches above chest) I was able to do 225 for about 5-6 reps while before i was doing 135 for about 8.

So for me doing that I gained a 90 lbs on my bench in under 3 months. I mean it is possible that I could have gained that much doing proper reps since I have only been working out for not even 2 months at that point but I still consider that a pretty good feat. IMO partial reps are only good for getting your body used to a weight. I mean if you think about it, if you do 3 plates normally but you do 4 plates partial reps for a workout or two don't you think going back to 3 plates that you would be able to push it easier than before?

I'm not suggesting that anyone do this, you could cause a very serious injury that wouldn't be worth the strength gain and put you out of the gym for a while. I am just voicing my experience..

lc1213 is offline Associate Member
    i never thought there was much benefit on how they were doing the sets. maybe some people can benefit and i see now how it could possibly be a way to basically introduce your body to weight training. never thought of it that way.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    i dont see the point in partials and never will, a full range of movement is always going to be much more productive

BareKnuckle is offline Junior Member
    Since Phil Heath is the new Mr. O and his videos are everywhere, I started watching some. Apparently he does partial reps for 90% maybe even 95% of his workouts. Example, shoulder press, bench press, etc he never touches at the bottom, and never locks out. Just saying...

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BareKnuckle View Post
    Since Phil Heath is the new Mr. O and his videos are everywhere, I started watching some. Apparently he does partial reps for 90% maybe even 95% of his workouts. Example, shoulder press, bench press, etc he never touches at the bottom, and never locks out. Just saying...
    Maybe he cant?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BareKnuckle View Post
    if you ever get to that level of development then you'll discover he cant

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lc1213 View Post
    i joined a gym a few weeks back. got tired of lifting weights outside. anyway, i see these younger guys (18-22 age) that load up the bar and only do partial reps. not like the ones that are for isolation and you start at the bottom and go halfway, they are starting at the top (arms fully extended) and then bringing the weight down maybe 6 inches from their starting position and back up and locking out and that's one rep , basically just bending their elbows. these guys probably weigh 140 pounds and are moving 160 pounds not benching 160 pounds. i would guess that they couldn't even bench their own body weight. i guess it is just a pet peeve of mine but if you are going to take the time to go workout, make the workout count.
    If what they were doing were effective they wouldn't be looking like stick figures. Ask them to do full reps at that weight, and then see how useful partial reps are.

The_Irish_Dave is offline Junior Member
    They're just too weak to do a full range of motion and because of their ego they don't want to appear like that in front of the other guys so they do a partial rep. There is a place for partials reps in powerlifting. It's to get your body used to a much heavier weight. You can overload a bar and lift a lot more than you could normally making your tendons stronger. Your bones and the rest of your body gets used to this weight making a sort of bridge between your normal weight and the weight you want to achieve. Take the deadlift; you can lift a certain amount off the ground but you fail say because of your grip. With partials you can lift a lot more in a powerrack set at knee height or more which will train your grip strength. This along with the upper part of the movement (where most are stuck at) will improve your lift over time. Same goes for bench and other movements. I think all powerlifters train with partials. They just have to be used in conjunction with normal full range of motion exercises that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Irish_Dave
    They're just too weak to do a full range of motion and because of their ego they don't want to appear like that in front of the other guys so they do a partial rep. There is a place for partials reps in powerlifting. It's to get your body used to a much heavier weight. You can overload a bar and lift a lot more than you could normally making your tendons stronger. Your bones and the rest of your body gets used to this weight making a sort of bridge between your normal weight and the weight you want to achieve. Take the deadlift; you can lift a certain amount off the ground but you fail say because of your grip. With partials you can lift a lot more in a powerrack set at knee height or more which will train your grip strength. This along with the upper part of the movement (where most are stuck at) will improve your lift over time. Same goes for bench and other movements. I think all powerlifters train with partials. They just have to be used in conjunction with normal full range of motion exercises that's all.
    Wrong type of partial. I think what most here are referring to is the lower section of a partial. For example, a powerlifter will do partials for the top section of bench press by performing board press. Where as in bodybuilding, they do partials where they come down to the chest, but only go up 2/3 of the way, and stop before lock out. If you think that is easier than a full rep, I would (no offence) have to question your experience on this subject.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensif View Post
    Just out of curiosity Dec11, why is this? It may be a daft question but I just wanted to clarify.
    limited range of movement due to the sheer size

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Irish_Dave View Post
    i never did once, in 20yrs of plifting

"they are starting at the top (arms fully extended) and then bringing the weight down maybe 6 inches from their starting position and back up and locking out and that's one rep" eh that's the top range. That's what I was referring to. I do think that's easier than a full rep because that's why they do it. Yeah a bottom range partial is harder.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Irish_Dave
    "they are starting at the top (arms fully extended) and then bringing the weight down maybe 6 inches from their starting position and back up and locking out and that's one rep" eh that's the top range. That's what I was referring to. I do think that's easier than a full rep because that's why they do it. Yeah a bottom range partial is harder.
    I'm not sure who you're quoting because I don't want to go looking for it, but that is not the type of partial rep the majority are talking about. For example, look at the first page and my example, or a few of the other examples where they specifically refer to the bottom 2/3 of the rep.

I'm replying to the first post by lc1213. Jesus. lol. I thought that was perfectly clear. Funny.

Mr Tick is offline Associate Member
    Look at the guys.
    If there peacocking around the gym staring others down and stacking up the weights= Douche bag!!

If they are focused on there reps and look like they watch others to learn. (You can tell them from the stare down guys)= Just uninformed youngsters.

If there the first I just laugh at them.
    If its the second ill sometimes ask a question about the correct way to do the exercise. Like i will ask if they ever tried to do full ROM with elbows at about a 45 degree to the body. Then I will say that it feels like it really hits the chest harder then other flat bench movements.

jypoll is offline Member
    I also get quite upset when i see guys doing 1/2 benches and especially when i see guys squatting more than they can handle and only doing 1/4 reps. But maybe they may work some times but i see the same guys doing it the same every time. Ive even see guys in a personal training session and the trainer isnt concerned that they do not use full ROM, but who is gonna have an injury and be weak when they are old?

I have only done partials in the form of rack pulls because i have trouble locking out my deadlift.

Thread Information