Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member

Question BNP form question. Opinions welcome.

Behind Neck Press.

Changed location and current gym only has a smith machine for full bar workouts. Before the gym change I did BNP standing with decent weight. Now I sit with back support and press.

Any input on where the optimal location for the bar to fall when you are on a Smith?

Currently it hits on the back support that is right at the knob at the back of the neck but about an inch behind it. No real pain but a much more solid burn ...with a fairly decent reduction in weight required to perform 10 reps. Before the bar fell ON the knob of the neck.

Any opinions or feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    Behind Neck Press.

Changed location and current gym only has a smith machine for full bar workouts. Before the gym change I did BNP standing with decent weight. Now I sit with back support and press.

Any input on where the optimal location for the bar to fall when you are on a Smith?

Currently it hits on the back support that is right at the knob at the back of the neck but about an inch behind it. No real pain but a much more solid burn ...with a fairly decent reduction in weight required to perform 10 reps. Before the bar fell ON the knob of the neck.

Any opinions or feedback?
    I go to about the base of the skull with the bar but I also have long arms and tight shoulders so less range. If i go further I risk injury cuz of my shoulders. I haven't tried an inch behind tho it sounds like it would work better

Sounds like u have more flexibility in ur shoulders. If ur not feeling pain that low then stick with it. Be careful with poundage in case u tweak it at a vulnerable low position tho
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 04-17-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Tanner Chambers is offline New Member
    Also, be careful with going to deep below 90 degree elbows. Ask guys with rotator cuff injuries, not fun.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys I appreciate it. I am staying low weight on the shoulders the remainder for the year to build the base for my first real cycle next year. I do not want injury from going too fast or hard.

When I do the inch behind the neck the weight is about half my normal BNP but the pump and workout burn is 3-4x the norm.

Thread Information