infinite_loop is offline New Member

Should and Lat atrophy/imbalance from nerve injury

A few years ago I injured my neck, it turned out to be a herniated disc, c5/c6. After 4 months of rest and epidural injections and rehab, I started lifting again and returned to my sport. After 4 years, my injury has left the rear head of my tricep slightly atrophied as well as my left lat. The biggest imbalance, I feel, however is my shoulder. If I do military presses there is a weakness on the inside of my shoulder, and it can't keep quite up with my right shoulder. On a set I should get to 10 reps on, my left will only get to maybe 8.

Is there anyway this will heal with time, and is there anything I can do to help it? My left lat is also visibly atrophied, although I can now do more pull ups than before the injury.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by infinite_loop View Post
    A few years ago I injured my neck, it turned out to be a herniated disc, c5/c6. After 4 months of rest and epidural injections and rehab, I started lifting again and returned to my sport. After 4 years, my injury has left the rear head of my tricep slightly atrophied as well as my left lat. The biggest imbalance, I feel, however is my shoulder. If I do military presses there is a weakness on the inside of my shoulder, and it can't keep quite up with my right shoulder. On a set I should get to 10 reps on, my left will only get to maybe 8.

Is there anyway this will heal with time, and is there anything I can do to help it? My left lat is also visibly atrophied, although I can now do more pull ups than before the injury.

Thanks
    Ronnie Coleman has the same problem after he retired. His was so severe he had to get some cervical vertebrae fused together.

Since u are improving and back at the gym take it slow and don't go too heavy too soon. Otherwise 1cm this way or that way and ull get another herniation or it will flare up. Rest and recuperation are also key so be in tune with ur body and keep track of how hard u went the previous days and gauge urself accordingly.

With time herniations do improve as in ur case. To help/prevent it would be to go less heavy and more reps. That's all really and train the atrophied side a little more intensely but ntn to crazy. For example push with your weak side when benching or pressing or pulling and stop when weak side fatigues and rack it.

Thread Information