Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    BJJ
    BJJ is offline Sapiens Fingit Fortunam Sibi
    Quote Originally Posted by kaigab View Post
    ... Also, how is your diet (carb/pro/fat)?
    BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): 2.000 Kcal (presently 2.300).
    Average daily calories about 3.600 Kcal (presently 4.000).

I always try to keep the ratio between proteins and carbs around 0,75.
    Daily diet consists in:

340 gr of Protides (11,99 oz)
    95 gr of Lipides (3,35 oz)
    450 gr of Glucides (15,87 oz)

The above reported macro nutrients weights (PLG) are effective, meaning what the organism is able to digest.

BJJ
    Today afternoon I'll receive the responses to my blood analyses.
    If the hormonal situation gives me the possibility, I'll sudden up the oxandrolone dose to 80 mg ed, instead of 60.
    Also, I am considering to split the doses in three times daily instead of two as done so far.
    But again, I need to see what really happened to my inner glands and mostly the liver.
    In this case, I'll also keep the schedule to add mesterolone starting from the next week, the 5th.

These are the pre-cycle results and the ones I am awaiting for:

CHOLESTEROL TTL: 168 mg/dl (?)
    CHOLESTEROL HDL: 41 mg/dl (?)
    INDEX RISK HDL: 4,1 (?)
    CHOLESTEROL LDL: 105 mg/dl (?)
    BILIRUBIN TTL: 1,98 mg/dl (?)
    BILIRUBIN DIRECT: 0,22 mg/dl (?)
    BILIRUBIN INDIRECT: 1,76 mg/dl (?)
    CREATININE: 1,2 mg/dl (?)
    AZOTEMIA: 49 mg/dl (?)
    AMYLASE: 62 u/ltr (?)
    TRANSAMINASE GPT/ALT: 41 u/ltr (?)
    GAMMA (YGT): 28 u/ltr (?)

INSULIN : 3,34 micru/ml (?)
    IGF1: (?)
    TESTOSTERONE TTL: 3,86 ng/ml (?)
    TESTOSTERONE FREE: 11,7 pg/ml (?)
    SHBG: 38 pg/ml (?)
    FSH: 2,92 micru/ml (?)
    LH: 3,80 miu/ml (?)
    DHEAS: 191 mcg/dl (?)
    HGH: 0,2 ng/ml (?)
    Last edited by BJJ; 10-17-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: results down below reported

Wally24 is offline Junior Member
    Whats the PCT regimen for the Var only cycle BJJ??

elpropiotorvic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally24 View Post
    Begining of the thread

BJJ
    In case hormonal parameters, checked during and before pct, are within a certain range:

PCT (11/18/2009 - 12/01/2009)
    Week 9-10 Clomiphene 50 mg ed (ttl 700 mg), before bed

Otherwise (1):

PCT (11/18/2009 - 12/15/2009)
    Week 9-12 Clomiphene 50/50/50/50 mg ed (ttl 700 mg), before bed
    Week 9-12 Tamoxifen 40/20/20/20 mg ed (ttl 700 mg), breakfast

Otherwise (2):

PCT (11/18/2009 - 12/15/2009)
    Week 9-12 Clomiphene 100/50/50/50 mg ed (ttl 1.750 mg), before bed
    Week 9-12 Tamoxifen 40/20/20/20 mg ed (ttl 700 mg), breakfast

It all depends by my blood results.

BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by elpropiotorvic View Post
    Begining of the thread
    thank you!!!

BJJ
    It is not a var only cycle.
    I'll add mesterolone by the 5th week.

BJJ

Blood Analyses After 18 Days of Oxandrolone at 60 mg ED

CHOLESTEROL TTL: 168 mg/dl (after: 179)
    CHOLESTEROL HDL: 41 mg/dl (after: 13) (range >=40)
    INDEX RISK HDL: 4,1 (after: 13,76) (range till 5)
    CHOLESTEROL LDL: 105 mg/dl (after: 157) (range 130-159, elevated borderline)
    BILIRUBIN TTL: 1,98 mg/dl (after: 0,83) (range 0,2-1)
    BILIRUBIN DIRECT: 0,22 mg/dl (after: 0,1) (range 0,05-0,3)
    BILIRUBIN INDIRECT: 1,76 mg/dl (after: 0,73) (range till 0,7)
    CREATININE: 1,2 mg/dl (after: 1,2) (range 0,8-1,3)
    AZOTEMIA: 49 mg/dl (after: 62) (range 15-40)
    AMYLASE: 62 u/ltr (after: 55) (range 25-115)
    TRANSAMINASE GPT/ALT: 41 u/ltr (after: 86) (range 30-65)
    TRANSAMINASE GOT/AST: 21 u/ltr (after: 55) (range 15-37)
    GAMMA (YGT): 28 u/ltr (after: 29) (range 15-85)

INSULIN : 3,34 micru/ml (after: 3,6) (range 1,9-23)
    IGF1: (184) (range 96-424)
    TESTOSTERONE TTL: 3,86 ng/ml (after: 0,72) (range 1,75-7,81)
    TESTOSTERONE FREE: 11,7 pg/ml (after: 5,2) (range 8-47)
    SHBG: 38 pg/ml (after: 10) (range 13-71)
    FSH: 2,92 micru/ml (after: 2,09) (range 1,27-19,26)
    LH: 3,80 miu/ml (after: 2,19) (range 1,24-8,62)
    DHEAS: 191 mcg/dl (after: 209) (range 106-464)
    HGH: 0,2 ng/ml (after: <0,1) (range 0,0-10)
    Last edited by BJJ; 10-23-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    is the red your leves pre cycle?.....

BJJ
    I'll make it clear...

BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ythrashin View Post
    I'm wondering... Why no Test? You mentioned risks and reasons in the other thread, what are they?
    Because I have The Gilbert's syndrome.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert%27s_syndrome

BJJ
    So basically, my bilirubin values decreased within the normal range, as expected.
    Oxandrolone seems to cure Gilberts's syndrome, my eyeballs are now white as never before.

Of course, either LDL and Transaminase went up.
    Azotemia was already up and surely it could not start declining.
    Strangely, creatinine stayed at the same level but this is good related to azotemia.

What I do not understand are the values related to LH, FSH and HGH compared with DHEAS.

Anyone able to explain this?
    Last edited by BJJ; 10-19-2009 at 04:53 AM.

XNathan is offline Associate Member
    Bilirubin is strongest antioxidant in human body. Decrease is becouse your liver consumend a large portion of bilirubine to reduce oxidation stress from oxandrolone.

Gilbert sy isnt bad its good! Atherosclerosis in a. carotis occure in critical degree 25 yr later than in normal people! And Gilberts has 80% less chance to have coronary heart disease.

Its more than good to have high bilirubine and yellow eyes? Small price for longer and better life.

BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by XNathan View Post
    Bilirubin is strongest antioxidant in human body. Decrease is becouse your liver consumend a large portion of bilirubine to reduce oxidation stress from oxandrolone.

Gilbert sy isnt bad its good! Atherosclerosis in a. carotis occure in critical degree 25 yr later than in normal people! And Gilberts has 80% less chance to have coronary heart disease.

Its more than good to have high bilirubine and yellow eyes? Small price for longer and better life.
    Thank you for your response and related info, I'll check those out.
    BJJ

BJJ

Have you got any clues regarding my other question?... LH/FSH/HGH

BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    is the red your leves pre cycle?.....
    So, to answer your question the red levels are the "badly" increased ones.
    Some of those were higher even before starting the cycle.

BJJ
    Today I added Tribulus to my diet (3 gr daily, breakfast/dinner) to see whether it can help with the low test.

BJJ

Confirmed that problems related to high bilirubin are solved during an oxandrolone cycle, the issue remains to see whether once the drug is out of the body completely and proper pct done, the above reported levels keep staying within the normal ranges or not, going back to the bad side.

BJJ
    I decided to anticipate the use of Mesterolone (50 mg daily) at day 26, instead of waiting the beginning of 5th week, day 29.

BJJ

Oxandrolone

Click Drug Name to View Profile: Anavar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANAVAR Cycle (for those interested)-oxandrolone1.jpg   ANAVAR Cycle (for those interested)-oxandrolone.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    So, to answer your question the red levels are the "badly" increased ones.
    Some of those were higher even before starting the cycle.
    oh ok bro......i get it know thanx...

BJJ

Mesterolone

Pharmaceutical Name: Mesterolone
    Chemical Name: 1 alpha-methyl-17 beta-hydroxy-5 alpha-androstan-3-one
    Empirical Formula: C20H32O2
    Anabolic /Androgenic Ratio: 100-150/30-40
    Half Life: 12 Hours
    Average Dose: 25-200mg/day
    Trade Names: Proviron , Androviron, Testiwo

Description:
    Proviron (mesterolone) is basically an orally active DHT (dihydrotestosterone) preparation. For comparision, we can think of some other orally prepared DHT compounds like Winstrol , Anavar , etc. Those both act very similarly in mechanism to Proviron, but a more accurate way to think of this compound is as something like “Oral Masteron .” As I’m sure you noticed, their anabolic/androgenic ratio is very similar. Remember, DHT is 3 to 4 times as androgenic as testosterone and is, of course, incapable of forming estrogen. Also, Proviron is quite unique in that a simple look at its 4-ring structure will show us that it is not going to be too liver toxic, since it is not c17-Alpha-Alkylated, as many orals are. This modification (lacking in Proviron) makes drugs more liver toxic. Proviron has a 1-metyhl group added, instead--looks pretty great on paper, right? Well, as usual, things tend to look better on paper than they do in the body. Your body has a negative feedback loop which prevents it from having too much DHT floating around (if you’ve been paying attention up to now, you already know this). An excess of DHT will eventually be changed into another (largely not anabolic) compound.

So let’s go back to the comparison with being some sort of “Oral Masteron.” Basically Proviron is 5-alpha reduced and not capable of forming estrogen. More importantly, however, it has a very high affinity for binding to the aromatase enzyme (the enzyme responsible for converting all that good testosterone in your body into all that nasty estrogen). That means if you choose to take Proviron with testosterone (and I know you wouldn’t even be doing a cycle without including some form of testosterone) and/or any aromatizable steroid , it should actually serve to prevent estrogen build up by the aforementioned binding to the aromatase enzyme, which prevents aromatase from doing its dirty work and making a bunch of estrogen out of the other steroids you are taking. It should also be noted that Proviron also binds very well to SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin, a hormone responsible for reducing the amount of circulating free testosterone in your body) (1). As a matter of fact, in the last study I read, it bound to SHBG better than any other drug studied.

Also, I’d like to note that Proviron bound to the anabolic receptor better than any oral anabolic (except for the insanely toxic methyltrienolone ), better than testosterone, but not as well as Nandrolone (1). Unfortunately, as we know, DHT also has a high affinity for binding to receptors in the scalp and prostate, causing some possible nasty side effects, like male pattern baldness and prostate enlargement. It’s important to remember that DHT and DHT derived compounds are used quite successfully to treat gynecomastia , and in this area, Proviron is no different.

Let’s delve into some of the positive points of this drug before we go any farther. androgen receptors are found in fat cells as well as muscle cells (5), and while they act on the AR in muscle cells to promote growth, they also act directly on the AR in fat cells to affect fat burning (9)(3). The stronger the androgen binds to the AR, the higher the lipolytic (fat burning) effect on adipose (fat) tissue (6)(2). As if that’s not enough good news, some steroids (notably, testosterone) even increase the numbers of ARs in muscle and fat (9)(7). Thus, if you are taking a simple stack of proviron and testosterone, you’ll have more of the Test you shoot as free testosterone floating around building muscle (compliments of the Proviron) and more androgen receptors to be bound to (compliments of your testosterone) by your Proviron, thus causing more fat loss. Testosterone and Proviron is a very nice synergistic stack, pretty nearly an “ideal” stack of an oral and injectable, because both drugs will actually act to enhance each other.

So what we have here is a steroid that can basically make other steroids more effective by preventing their conversion into estrogen, as well as increasing the amount of circulating free testosterone in your body. This of course all provides a more hardened and quality look to muscles. Proviron is very much a “synergistic” drug in this respect, and its inclusion in any cycle would definitely make all of the other steroids perform better, and provide better gains. This is all compounded by the fact that Proviron is a very lipolytic (fat-burning) drug.

Now, as if all of this weren’t enough, let’s talk about how Proviron affects your HPTA (hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular-axis), the thing that regulates the male hormonal system. When a reasonable dose of this stuff is given (100-150mgs/day), it had no depressing effect on low or normal serum FSH and LH levels (6). Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and Leutenizing Hormone (LH) are two hormones that send a signal to your testes to produce testosterone. Thus, by not suppressing those hormones, your normal testosterone levels will remain intact. This points to a novel use for this compound during post-cycle-therapy: a non-suppressive “bridge” between cycles. In fact, in yet another study, administration of Proviron (basically the same dose as in the last study) produced no changes in steroids, thyroid hormones, gonadotropins or PRL (prolactin levels—you want those to remain low) (8).

Unfortunately, this stuff is not too hot on it’s own. It’s a good drug for inclusion in a cycle containing testosterone and other armoatizable steroids, and it’s a good drug for a possible “bridge” between cycles. Alone, however, as an androgenic or anabolic agent its effects have been very weak in both studies (9), as well as in the experience of everyone I spoke to about it. This may be due to the addition of the 1-methyl-group to DHT, which makes this stuff orally active. Whatever the case, as a stand-alone anabolic or androgenic compound, it’s not too impressive.

This drug is a rare find on the black market, and many underground labs do not produce it, but if you can find it, I’d say that you shouldn’t be paying more than .50 cents for each 50mg tab.

Here’s how your body metabolizes Mesterolone: (pic)

Mesterolone References:
    1. Relative binding affinity of anabolic-androgenic steroids: comparison of the binding to the androgen receptors in skeletal muscle and in prostate, as well as to sex hormonebinding globulin.Endocrinology. 1984 Jun;114(6):2100-6.
    2. APMIS. 2000 Dec;108(12):838-46.
    3. (Xu X, et al. "The effects of androgens on the regulation of lipolysis in adipose precursor cells." Endocrinology 1990 Feb;126(2):1229 ).
    4. J Anim Sci. 1992 Nov;70(11):3381-90.
    5. Am J Physiol. 1998 Jun;274(6 Pt 1):C1645-52.
    6. The effect of mesterolone on sperm count, on serum follicle stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, plasma testosterone and outcome in idiopathic oligospermic men.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1988 Feb;26(1):121-8.
    7. J Appl. Physiol.94 1153-61 2003
    8. Effect of non aromatizable androgens on LHRH and TRH responses in primary testicular failure.Horm Metab Res. 1984 Sep;16(9):492-7.
    9. [Androgen substitution in the andrological disease picture] Andrologia. 1983 May-Jun;15(3):283-6. German.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANAVAR Cycle (for those interested)-mesterolone.jpg  

i wanna know about the lh/fsh/hgh someone?

BJJ

Day 26

Last edited by BJJ; 10-25-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: pic deleted

BJJ
    Last edited by BJJ; 11-10-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: pic deleted

BJJ

Anavar (oxandrolone)

Anavar , Oxandrin.
    Unlike most oral steroids , which are Class II steroids giving most of their anabolic effect by means other than the androgen receptor (AR), it seems that oxandrolone probably does have good binding to the AR, and is therefore a Class I steroid , while having little other effect. By itself it is considered to be a weak anabolic.

Partly this is due to its apparent lack of non-AR-mediated activity. This can be corrected of course by stacking with a Class II steroid such as Dianabol , Anadrol ®, 4-AD, or nor-4-AD: the latter two steroids require high blood levels which are not obtained by oral use of the powders.

The other part of the reason for this is that bodybuilders make unfortunate and unreasonable comparisons when judging anabolic steroids . If say 8 tablets per day does little, then the drug is pronounced useless or weak by the user. But that is only 20 mg/day, or 140 mg/week. Does 140 mg/week testosterone give much results? No. Few anabolic steroids give dramatic results at that dose. Per milligram the potency is reasonable, but each individual tablet is weak because the dosage is small.

Because of its high price, very few bodybuilders have taken large doses of oxandrolone. There is a single case in the medical literature (Forbes et al.) where it is reported that a competitive athlete self-administered 150 mg oxandrolone per day with remarkable gains. This is of uncertain credibility because unless urinalysis was done to verify that no other steroids were taken, there is no way to be certain that the athlete did not actually take more drugs than he reported. In any case, at current prices, only the quite wealthy could afford such a dose. I personally have tried 150 mg/day and considered it somewhat effective, but not dramatically so, and not a preferred regimen.

Oxandrolone does not aromatize or convert to DHT, and has a longer half life than Dianabol - 8 hours vs. 4 hours. Thus, a moderate dose taken in the morning is largely out of the system by night, yet supplies reasonable levels of androgen during the day and early evening.

Oxandrolone shares the liver toxicity problems common to 17-alkylated steroids. At one time it was thought that it did not, but both clinical and practical experience with Oxandrin has shown that at doses of 40 mg/day and higher, liver toxicity is indeed an issue with prolonged use.

Primobolan , I believe, should be considered a superior compound, offering the same activity at (usually) a lower price and without the alkylated-toxicity issue.

Oxandrolone is the chemical name of active ingredient in Oxandrin and Anavar. Oxandrin is a registered trademark of Bio-Technology General Corp. in the United States and/or other countries. Anavar was originally the registered trademark of Searle Laboratories.

Substance name: Oxandrolone [USAN:INN]
    Chemical name: 17ß-hydroxy-17a-methyl-2-oxa-5a-androstan-3-one
    Systematic name:N/A
    Index name: 2-Oxaandrostan-3-one, 17-hydroxy-17-methyl-, (5alpha,17beta)-CAS number 53-39-4
    Merck Index Number: Merck 11, 6875
    Molecular formula: C19-H30-O3
    Molecular weight: 306.443 g/mol
    Legal status: Prescription only (US); DEA Schedule III (US)
    Routes of administration: Oral
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ANAVAR Cycle (for those interested)-oxandrin-description_page_1.jpg   ANAVAR Cycle (for those interested)-oxandrin-description_page_2.jpg  
    Last edited by BJJ; 10-18-2009 at 03:09 PM.

BJJ

Proviron (mesterolone)

Proviron (mesterolone) is an interesting anabolic steroid , though it is not of much value to bodybuilding.

It seems that the most common reason for many to consider including it in a steroid stack is for anti-estrogenic activity. In the days before anti-aromatases and the use of SERMs (selective estrogen receptor modulators) such as Clomid and Nolvadex , there was some merit to this. An amount of aromatizing steroid marginally over the amount that would be tolerable without Proviron became tolerable with the inclusion of it.

However, the effect is indeed only marginal, and much better anti-estrogenic agents now exist. When these are used, there is no need for Proviron as an anti-estrogen.

The mechanism by which it has some effectiveness in this regard is from binding weakly to the estrogen receptor without activating it, and to the aromatase enzyme. In the first case, this partially reduces the number of receptor sites momentarily available to bind estrogen, thus reducing estrogenic activity. In the second case, some fraction of aromatase molecules at any given moment are unavailable to bind and convert testosterone , their binding sites being occupied with mesterolone.

The second most common reason is probably to address a fear that libido might be lost without it. It is true that when added to normal androgen levels, Proviron has an androgenic effect that in many cases improves libido. However, most anabolic steroids also have this same property. In a steroid cycle, adding Proviron accomplishes nothing further. Or in the case of anabolic steroids such as nandrolone (Deca ) which for other reasons may adversely affect libido, Proviron provides no greater help against that than do various other anabolic steroids.

One of the interesting things about Proviron is that while it assays (tests) as being an effective anabolic in the rat, it is virtually useless for building muscle in man. This may be due to enhanced conversion in muscle tissue to the diol, but it may instead be due to some unknown reason.

Another interesting thing is that it enjoys some practical use as a pro-sexual agent inbetween cycles. Typically 50 mg is taken shortly before improved performance is expected to be useful.

Contrary to common belief, Proviron is somewhat inhibitory of the HPTA. Using it during the recovery phase as part of post-cycle therapy is counterproductive. It is also inadvisable for this reason to use it continuously while intending to be off-cycle, but occasional recreational use presents no problem.

Proviron has been used in female bodybuilding, but it has almost undoubtedly the worst ratio of anabolic effect to virilizing effect of any anabolic steroid in common use. The perceived value is in fat loss and “hardening,” but friendlier choices exist for this. Most of that value is from anti-estrogenic effect, which Nolvadex can also accomplish. And for an androgen component, there are better choices, including Primobolan .

Unlike almost all other orals, Proviron is not hepatotoxic, as it is not 17-alkylated.

Tablets are typically 25 mg, and taken one or two at a time. Amounts greater than this have no further effect on improving libido off-cycle, but if used for a specific occasion, whether on-cycle or off-cycle, may temporarily improve vascularity, if it is already noticeable but has room for improvement.

Mesterolone is the chemical name of active ingredient in Proviron. Proviron was a registered trademark of Schering AG in the United States and/or other countries prior to cancellation.

Substance name: Mesterolone [USAN]
    Chemical name: Androstan-3-one, 17-hydroxy-1-methyl-, (1alpha,5alpha,17beta)
    Systematic name IUPAC: (1S,5S,8R,9S,10R,13S,14S,17S)-17-hydroxy-1,10,13-trimethyl-1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,11,12,14,15,16,17-tetradecahydrocyclopenta[a]phenanthren-3-one
    CAS number: 1424-00-6
    Merck Index Number: Merck 11, 5817
    Chemical formula: C20-H32-O2
    Molecular weight: 304.467 g/mol
    Bioavailability: ?
    Metabolism: Hepatic
    Elimination half-life: ?
    Excretion: Urinary (90%); Fecal (6%)
    Pregnancy category: X
    Legal status: Illegal (US); DEA Schedule III (US)
    Routes of administration: Oral

BJJ

Post Oxandrolone

Oxandrolone

International Programme on Chemical Safety
    Poisons Information Monograph 913
    Pharmaceutical

This monograph does not contain all of the sections completed. This
    mongraph is harmonised with the Group monograph on Anabolic Steroids
    (PIM G007).

1. NAME

1.1 Substance

Oxandrolone

1.2 Group

ATC Classification:
    A14 (Anabolic Agents for Systemic Use)
    A14A (Anabolic steroids )

1.3 Synonyms

NSC-67068; SC-11585

1.4 Identification numbers

1.4.1 CAS number

53-39-4

1.4.2 Other numbers

1.5 Main brand names, main trade names

1.6 Main manufacturers, main importers

2. SUMMARY

2.1 Main risks and target organs

There is no serious risk from acute poisoning, but
    chronic use can cause harm. The main risks are those of
    excessive androgens: menstrual irregularities and
    virilization in women and impotence, premature cardiovascular
    disease and prostatic hypertrophy in men. Both men and women
    can suffer liver damage with oral anabolic steroids
    containing a substituted 17-alpha-carbon. Psychiatric changes
    can occur during use or after cessation of these
    agents.

2.2 Summary of clinical effects

Acute overdosage can produce nausea and gastrointestinal
    upset. Chronic usage is thought to cause an increase in
    muscle bulk, and can cause an exageration of male
    characteristics and effects related to male hormones.
    Anabolic steroids can influence sexual function. They can
    also cause cardiovascular and hepatic damage. Acne and male-
    pattern baldness occur in both sexes; irregular menses,
    atrophy of the breasts, and clitor*****ly in women; and
    testicular atrophy and prostatic hypertrophy in men.

2.3 Diagnosis

The diagnosis depends on a history of use of oral or
    injected anabolic steroids, together with signs of increased
    muscle bulk, commonly seen in "body-builders". Biochemical
    tests of liver function are often abnormal in patients who
    take excessive doses of oral anabolic steroids.

Laboratory analyses of urinary anabolic steroids and their
    metabolites can be helpful in detecting covert use of these
    drugs.

2.4 First aid measures and management principles

Supportive care is the only treatment necessary or
    appropriate for acute intoxication. Chronic (ab)users can be
    very reluctant to cease abuse, and may require professional
    help as with other drug misuse.

3. PHYSICO-CHEMICAL PROPERTIES

3.1 Origin of the substance

Naturally-occuring anabolic steroids are synthesised in
    the testis, ovary and adrenal gland from cholesterol via
    pregnenolone. Synthetic anabolic steroids are based on the
    principal male hormone testosterone , modified in one of three
    ways:

alkylation of the 17-carbon
    esterification of the 17-OH group
    modification of the steroid nucleus

(Murad & Haynes, 1985).

3.2 Chemical structure

Chemical Name:
    17beta-Hydroxy-17alpha-methyl-2-oxa-5alpha-androstan-3-one

Molecular Formula: C19H30O3

Molecular Weight: 306.4

3.3 Physical properties

3.3.1 Colour

White

3.3.2 State/form

Solid-crystal

3.3.3 Description

Soluble 1 in 5200 of water, 1 in 57 of alcohol,
    1 in 69 of acetone, 1 in less than 5 of chloroform,
    and 1 in 860 of ether.

3.4 Other characteristics

3.4.1 Shelf-life of the substance

3.4.2 Storage conditions

Protect from light.

Vials for parenteral administration should be stored
    at room temperature (15 to 30°C). Visual inspection
    for particulate and/or discoloration is
    advisable.

4. USES

4.1 Indications

4.1.1 Indications

Anabolic agent; systemic
    Anabolic steroid
    Androstan derivative; anabolic steroid
    Estren derivative; anabolic steroid
    Other anabolic agent
    Anabolic agent for systemic use; veterinary
    Anabolic steroid; veterinary
    Estren derivative; veterinary

4.1.2 Description

The only legitimate therapeutic indications for
    anabolic steroids are:

(a) replacement of male sex steroids in men who have
    androgen deficiency, for example as a result of loss
    of both testes

(b) the treatment of certain rare forms of aplastic
    anaemia which are or may be responsive to anabolic
    androgens.

(ABPI Data Sheet Compendium, 1993)

(c) the drugs have been used in certain countries to
    counteract catabolic states, for example after major
    trauma.

4.2 Therapeutic dosage

4.2.1 Adults

4.2.2 Children

Not applicable

4.3 Contraindications

Known or suspected cancer of the prostate or (in men)
    breast.
    Pregnancy or breast-feeding.
    Known cardiovascular disease is a relative contraindication.

5. ROUTES OF EXPOSURE

5.1 Oral

Anabolic steroids can be absorbed from the
    gastrointestinal tract, but many compounds undergo such
    extensive first-pass metabolism in the liver that they are
    inactive. Those compounds in which substitution of the 17-
    carbon protects the compound from the rapid hepatic
    metabolism are active orally (Murad and Haynes, 1985).
    There are preparations of testosterone that can be taken
    sublingually.

5.2 Inhalation

Not relevant

5.3 Dermal

No data available

5.4 Eye

Not relevant

5.5 Parenteral

Intramuscular or deep subcutaneous injection is the
    principal route of administration of all the anabolic
    steroids except the 17-alpha-substituted steroids which are
    active orally.

5.6 Other

Not relevant

6. KINETICS

6.1 Absorption by route of exposure

The absorption after oral dosing is rapid for
    testosterone and probably for other anabolic steroids, but
    there is extensive first-pass hepatic metabolism for all
    anabolic steroids except those that are substituted at the
    17-alpha position.

The rate of absorption from subcutaneous or intramuscular
    depots depends on the product and its formulation. Absorption
    is slow for the lipid-soluble esters such as the cypionate or
    enanthate , and for oily suspensions.

6.2 Distribution by route of exposure

The anabolic steroids are highly protein bound, and is
    carried in plasma by a specific protein called sex-hormone
    binding globulin.

6.3 Biological half-life by route of exposure

The metabolism of absorbed drug is rapid, and the
    elimination half-life from plasma is very short. The duration
    of the biological effects is therefore determined almost
    entirely by the rate of absorption from subcutaneous or
    intramuscular depots, and on the de-esterification which
    precedes it (Wilson, 1992).

6.4 Metabolism

Free (de-esterified) anabolic androgens are metabolized
    by hepatic mixed function oxidases (Wilson, 1992).

6.5 Elimination by route of exposure

After administration of radiolabelled testosterone,
    about 90% of the radioactivity appears in the urine, and 6%
    in the faeces; there is some enterohepatic recirculation
    (Wilson, 1992).

7. PHARMACOLOGY AND TOXICOLOGY

7.1 Mode of action

7.1.1 Toxicodynamics

The toxic effects are an exaggeration of the
    normal pharmacological effects.

7.1.2 Pharmacodynamics

Anabolic steroids bind to specific receptors
    present especially in reproductive tissue, muscle and
    fat (Mooradian & Morley, 1987). The anabolic steroids
    reduce nitrogen excretion from tissue breakdown in
    androgen deficient men. They are also responsible for
    normal male sexual differentiation. The ratio of
    anabolic ("body-building") effects to androgenic
    (virilizing) effects may differ among the members of
    the class, but in practice all agents possess both
    properties to some degree. There is no clear evidence
    that anabolic steroids enhance overall athletic
    performance (Elashoff et al, 1991).

7.2 Toxicity

7.2.1 Human data

7.2.1.1 Adults

No data available.

7.2.1.2 Children

No data available.

7.2.2 Relevant animal data

No data available.

7.2.3 Relevant in vitro data

No data

7.3 Carcinogenicity

Anabolic steroids may be carcinogenic. They can
    stimulate growth of sex-hormone dependent tissue, primarily
    the prostate gland in men. Precocious prostatic cancer has
    been described after long-term anabolic steroid abuse (Roberts
    & Essenhigh, 1986). Cases where hepatic cancers have been
    associated with anabolic steroid abuse have been reported
    (Overly et al, 1984).

7.4 Teratogenicity

Androgen ingestion by a pregnant mother can cause
    virilization of a female fetus (Dewhurst & Gordon,
    1984).

7.5 Mutagenicity

No data available.

7.6 Interactions

No data available.

7.7 Main adverse effects

The adverse effects of anabolic steroids include weight
    gain, fluid retention, and abnormal liver function as
    measured by biochemical tests. Administration to children can
    cause premature closure of the epiphyses. Men can develop
    impotence and azoospermia. Women are at risk of
    virilization.

8. TOXICOLOGICAL ANALYSES AND BIOMEDICAL INVESTIGATIONS

8.1 Material sampling plan
    8.1.1 Sampling and specimen collection
    8.1.1.1 Toxicological analyses
    8.1.1.2 Biomedical analyses
    8.1.1.3 Arterial blood gas analysis
    8.1.1.4 Haematological analyses
    8.1.1.5 Other (unspecified) analyses
    8.1.2 Storage of laboratory samples and specimens
    8.1.2.1 Toxicological analyses
    8.1.2.2 Biomedical analyses
    8.1.2.3 Arterial blood gas analysis
    8.1.2.4 Haematological analyses
    8.1.2.5 Other (unspecified) analyses
    8.1.3 Transport of laboratory samples and specimens
    8.1.3.1 Toxicological analyses
    8.1.3.2 Biomedical analyses
    8.1.3.3 Arterial blood gas analysis
    8.1.3.4 Haematological analyses
    8.1.3.5 Other (unspecified) analyses
    8.2 Toxicological Analyses and Their Interpretation
    8.2.1 Tests on toxic ingredient(s) of material
    8.2.1.1 Simple Qualitative Test(s)
    8.2.1.2 Advanced Qualitative Confirmation Test(s)
    8.2.1.3 Simple Quantitative Method(s)
    8.2.1.4 Advanced Quantitative Method(s)

8.2.2 Tests for biological specimens
    8.2.2.1 Simple Qualitative Test(s)
    8.2.2.2 Advanced Qualitative Confirmation Test(s)
    8.2.2.3 Simple Quantitative Method(s)
    8.2.2.4 Advanced Quantitative Method(s)
    8.2.2.5 Other Dedicated Method(s)
    8.2.3 Interpretation of toxicological analyses
    8.3 Biomedical investigations and their interpretation
    8.3.1 Biochemical analysis
    8.3.1.1 Blood, plasma or serum
    8.3.1.2 Urine
    8.3.1.3 Other fluids
    8.3.2 Arterial blood gas analyses
    8.3.3 Haematological analyses
    8.3.4 Interpretation of biomedical investigations

8.4 Other biomedical (diagnostic) investigations and their
    interpretation

8.5 Overall Interpretation of all toxicological analyses and
    toxicological investigations

Biomedical analysis
    The following tests can be relevant in the investigation of
    chronic anabolic steroid abuse:
    a) full blood count
    b) electrolytes and renal function tests
    c) hepatic function tests
    d) testosterone
    e) Lutenizing hormone
    f) prostatic acid phosphatase or prostate related antigen
    g) blood glucose concentration
    h) cholesterol concentration

Toxicological analysis
    -urinary analysis for anabolic steroids and their
    metabolites

Other investigations
    -electrocardiogram

8.6 References

9. CLINICAL EFFECTS

9.1 Acute poisoning

9.1.1 Ingestion

Nausea and vomiting can occur.

9.1.2 Inhalation

Not relevant

9.1.3 Skin exposure

Not relevant

9.1.4 Eye contact

Not relevant

9.1.5 Parenteral exposure

Patients are expected to recover rapidly after
    acute overdosage, but there are few data. "Body-
    builders" use doses many times the standard
    therapeutic doses for these compounds but do not
    suffer acute toxic effects.

9.1.6 Other

Not relevant

9.2 Chronic poisoning

9.2.1 Ingestion

Hepatic damage, manifest as derangement of
    biochemical tests of liver function and sometimes
    severe enough to cause jaundice; virilization in
    women; prostatic hypertrophy, impotence and
    azoospermia in men; acne, abnormal lipids, premature
    cardiovascular disease (including stroke and
    myocardial infarction), abnormal glucose tolerance,
    and muscular hypertrophy in both sexes; psychiatric
    disturbances can occur during or after prolonged
    treatment (Ferner & Rawlins, 1988; Kennedy, 1992; Ross
    & Deutch, 1990; Ryan, 1981; Wagner, 1989).

9.2.2 Inhalation

Not relevant

9.2.3 Skin exposure

Not relevant

9.2.4 Eye contact

Not relevant

9.2.5 Parenteral exposure

Virilization in women; prostatic hypertrophy,
    impotence and azoospermia in men; acne, abnormal
    lipids, premature cardiovascular disease (including
    stroke and myocardial infarction), abnormal glucose

tolerance, and muscular hypertrophy in both sexes.
    Psychiatric disturbances can occur during or after
    prolonged treatment. Hepatic damage is not expected
    from parenteral preparations.

9.2.6 Other

Not relevant

9.3 Course, prognosis, cause of death

Patients with symptoms of acute poisoning are expected
    to recover rapidly. Patients who persistently abuse high
    doses of anabolic steroids are at risk of death from
    premature heart disease or cancer, especially prostatic
    cancer. Non-fatal but long-lasting effects include voice
    changes in women and fusion of the epiphyses in children.
    Other effects are reversible over weeks or months.

9.4 Systematic description of clinical effects

9.4.1 Cardiovascular

Chronic ingestion of high doses of anabolic
    steroids can cause elevations in blood pressure, left
    ventricular hypertrophy and premature coronary artery
    disease (McKillop et al., 1986; Bowman, 1990; McNutt
    et al., 1988).

9.4.2 Respiratory

Not reported

9.4.3 Neurological

9.4.3.1 Central nervous system

Stroke has been described in a young
    anabolic steroid abuser (Frankle et al.,
    1988).

Pope & Katz (1988) described mania and
    psychotic symptoms of hallucination and
    delusion in anabolic steroid abusers. They
    also described depression after withdrawal
    from anabolic steroids. There is also
    considerable debate about the effects of
    anabolic steroids on aggressive behaviour
    (Schulte et al., 1993) and on criminal
    behaviour (Dalby, 1992). Mood swings were
    significantly more common in normal
    volunteers during the active phase of a trial
    comparing methyltestosterone with placebo (Su
    et al., 1993).

9.4.3.2 Peripheral nervous system

No data available

9.4.3.3 Autonomic nervous system

No data available

9.4.3.4 Skeletal and smooth muscle

No data available

9.4.4 Gastrointestinal

Acute ingestion of large doses can cause nausea
    and gastrointestinal upset.

9.4.5 Hepatic

Orally active (17-alpha substituted) anabolic
    steroids can cause abnormalities of hepatic function,
    manifest as abnormally elevated hepatic enzyme
    activity in biochemical tests of liver function, and
    sometimes as overt jaundice.

The histological abnormality of peliosis hepatis has
    been associated with anabolic steroid use (Soe et al.,
    1992).

Angiosarcoma (Falk et al, 1979) and a case of
    hepatocellular carcinoma in an anabolic steroid user
    has been reported (Overly et al., 1984).

9.4.6 Urinary

9.4.6.1 Renal

Not reported

9.4.6.2 Other

Men who take large doses of anabolic
    steroids can develop prostatic hypertrophy.
    Prostatic carcinoma has been described in
    young men who have abused anabolic steroids
    (Roberts & Essenhigh, 1986).

9.4.7 Endocrine and reproductive systems

Small doses of anabolic steroids are said to
    increase libido, but larger doses lead to azoospermia
    and impotence. Testicular atrophy is a common clinical

feature of long-term abuse of anabolic steroids, and
    gynaecomastia can occur (Martikainen et al., 1986;
    Schurmeyer et al., 1984; Spano & Ryan, 1984).

Women develop signs of virilism, with increased facial
    hair, male pattern baldness, acne, deepening of the
    voice, irregular menses and clitoral enlargement
    (Malarkey et al., 1991; Strauss et al., 1984).

9.4.8 Dermatological

Acne occurs in both male and female anabolic
    steroids abusers. Women can develop signs of virilism,
    with increased facial hair and male pattern
    baldness.

9.4.9 Eye, ear, nose, throat: local effects

Changes in the larynx in women caused by
    anabolic steroids can result in a hoarse, deep voice.
    The changes are irreversible.

9.4.10 Haematological

Anabolic androgens stimulate erythropoesis.

9.4.11 Immunological

No data available

9.4.12 Metabolic

9.4.12.1 Acid-base disturbances

No data available.

9.4.12.2 Fluid and electrolyte disturbances

Sodium and water retention can
    occur, and result in oedema; hypercalcaemia
    is also reported (Reynolds, 1992).

9.4.12.3 Others

Insulin resistance with a fall in
    glucose tolerance (Cohen & Hickman, 1987),
    and hypercholesterolaemia with a fall in high
    density lipoprotein cholesterol, have been
    reported (Cohen et al., 1988; Glazer,
    1991;Webb et al., 1984).

9.4.13 Allergic reactions

No data available

9.4.14 Other clinical effects

No data available

9.4.15 Special risks

Risk of abuse

9.5 Other

No data available

9.6 Summary

10. MANAGEMENT

10.1 General principles

The management of acute overdosage consists of
    supportive treatment, with fluid replacement if vomiting is
    severe. Chronic abuse should be discouraged, and
    psychological support may be needed as in the treatment of
    other drug abuse. The possibility of clinically important
    depression after cessation of usage should be borne in
    mind.

10.2 Life supportive procedures and symptomatic/specific treatment

Not relevant

10.3 Decontamination

Not usually required.

10.4 Enhanced elimination

Not indicated

10.5 Antidote treatment

10.5.1 Adults

None available

10.5.2 Children

None available

10.6 Management discussion

Not relevant

11. ILLUSTRATIVE CASES

11.1 Case reports from literature

A 38-year old man presented with acute urinary
    retention, and was found to have carcinoma of the prostate.
    He had taken anabolic steroids for many years, and worked as
    a "strong-man" (Roberts and Essenhigh, 1986).

A 22-year old male world-class weight lifter developed severe
    chest pain awaking him from sleep, and was shown to have
    myocardial infarction. For six weeks before, he had been
    taking high doses of oral and injected anabolic steroids.
    Total serum cholesterol was 596 mg/dL (HDL 14 mg/dL, LDL 513
    mg/dL) (McNutt et al., 1988). Values of total cholesterol
    concentration above 200 mg/dL are considered undesirable.

A 22-year old body builder took two eight-week courses of
    anabolic steroids. He became severely depressed after the
    second course, and when the depression gradually receded, he
    had prominent paranoid and religious delusions (Pope and
    Katz, 1987).

A 19-year old American college footballer took intramuscular
    testosterone and oral methandrostenolone over 4 months. He
    became increasingly aggressive with his wife and child. After
    he severely injured the child, he ceased using anabolic
    steroids, and his violence and aggression resolved within 2
    months (Schulte et al, 1993).

12. Additional information

12.1 Specific preventive measures

Anabolic steroid abuse amongst athletes, weight
    lifters, body builders and others is now apparently common at
    all levels of these sports. Not all abusers are competitive
    sportsmen.
    There is therefore scope for a public health campaign, for
    example, based on gymnasia, to emphasize the dangers of
    anabolic steroid abuse and to support those who wish to stop
    using the drugs.

12.2 Other

No data available.

13. REFERENCES

ABPI Data Sheet Compendium (1993) Datapharm Publications,
    London.

Bowman S. (1990) Anabolic steroids and infarction. Br Med J;
    300:

Cohen JC & Hickman R. (1987) Insulin Resistance and diminished
    glucose tolerance in powerlifters ingesting anabolic steroids. J
    Clin Endocrinol Metab 64: 960.

14. AUTHOR(S), REVIEWER(S), DATE(S) (INCLUDING UPDATES), COMPLETE
    ADDRESS(ES)

Author: Dr R. E. Ferner,
    West Midlands Centre for Adverse Drug Reaction
    Reporting,
    City Hospital Dudley Road,
    Birmingham B18 7QH
    England.
    Tel: +44-121-5074587
    Fax: +44-121-5236125
    Email: [email protected]

Date: 1994

Peer review: INTOX Meeting, Sao Paulo, Brazil, September 1994
    (Drs P.Kulling, R.McKuowen, A.Borges, R.Higa,
    R.Garnier, Hartigan-Go, E.Wickstrom)

Editor: Dr M.Ruse, March 1998

BJJ

Mesterolone

Mesterolone

International Programme on Chemical Safety
    Poisons Information Monograph 904
    Pharmaceutical

This monograph does not contain all of the sections completed. This
    mongraph is harmonised with the Group monograph on Anabolic Steroids
    (PIM G007).

1. NAME

1.1 Substance

Mesterolone

1.2 Group

ATC Classification:
    A14 (Anabolic Agents for Systemic Use)
    A14A (Anabolic steroids )

1.3 Synonyms

NSC-75054; SH-723

1.4.1 CAS number

1424-00-6

1.4.2 Other numbers

1.5 Main brand names, main trade names

Mestoranum; Pro-viron; Proviron ; Vistimon;
    Pluriviron (multi-ingredient preparation)

1.6 Main manufacturers, main importers

2. SUMMARY

There is no serious risk from acute poisoning, but
    chronic use can cause harm. The main risks are those of
    excessive androgens: menstrual irregularities and
    virilization in women and impotence, premature cardiovascular
    disease and prostatic hypertrophy in men. Both men and women
    can suffer liver damage with oral anabolic steroids

containing a substituted 17-alpha-carbon. Psychiatric changes
    can occur during use or after cessation of these
    agents.

Acute overdosage can produce nausea and gastrointestinal
    upset. Chronic usage is thought to cause an increase in
    muscle bulk, and can cause an exageration of male
    characteristics and effects related to male hormones.
    Anabolic steroids can influence sexual function. They can
    also cause cardiovascular and hepatic damage. Acne and male-
    pattern baldness occur in both sexes; irregular menses,
    atrophy of the breasts, and clitor*****ly in women; and
    testicular atrophy and prostatic hypertrophy in men.

2.3 Diagnosis

The diagnosis depends on a history of use of oral or
    injected anabolic steroids, together with signs of increased
    muscle bulk, commonly seen in "body-builders". Biochemical
    tests of liver function are often abnormal in patients who
    take excessive doses of oral anabolic steroids.

Laboratory analyses of urinary anabolic steroids and their
    metabolites can be helpful in detecting covert use of these
    drugs.

Supportive care is the only treatment necessary or
    appropriate for acute intoxication. Chronic (ab)users can be
    very reluctant to cease abuse, and may require professional
    help as with other drug misuse.

Naturally-occuring anabolic steroids are synthesised in
    the testis, ovary and adrenal gland from cholesterol via
    pregnenolone. Synthetic anabolic steroids are based on the
    principal male hormone testosterone , modified in one of three
    ways:

alkylation of the 17-carbon
    esterification of the 17-OH group
    modification of the steroid nucleus

(Murad & Haynes, 1985).

3.2 Chemical structure

Chemical Name:
    17beta-Hydroxy-1alpha-methyl-5alpha-androstan-3-one.

Molecular Formula: C20H32O2

Molecular Weight: 304.5

3.3 Physical properties

3.3.1 Colour

3.3.2 State/form

3.3.3 Description

3.4.2 Storage conditions

Protect from light.

Vials for parenteral administration should be stored
    at room temperature (15 to 30°C). Visual inspection
    for particulate and/or discoloration is
    advisable.

4. USES

4.1 Indications

4.1.1 Indications

Anabolic agent; systemic
    Anabolic steroid
    Androstan derivative; anabolic steroid
    Estren derivative; anabolic steroid
    Other anabolic agent
    Anabolic agent for systemic use; veterinary
    Anabolic steroid; veterinary
    Estren derivative; veterinary

4.1.2 Description

The only legitimate therapeutic indications for
    anabolic steroids are:

(a) replacement of male sex steroids in men who have
    androgen deficiency, for example as a result of loss
    of both testes

(b) the treatment of certain rare forms of aplastic
    anaemia which are or may be responsive to anabolic
    androgens.

(ABPI Data Sheet Compendium, 1993)

(c) the drugs have been used in certain countries to
    counteract catabolic states, for example after major
    trauma.

4.2 Therapeutic dosage

4.2.1 Adults

4.2.2 Children

Not applicable

4.3 Contraindications

Known or suspected cancer of the prostate or (in men)
    breast.
    Pregnancy or breast-feeding.
    Known cardiovascular disease is a relative contraindication.

5. ROUTES OF EXPOSURE

5.1 Oral

Anabolic steroids can be absorbed from the
    gastrointestinal tract, but many compounds undergo such
    extensive first-pass metabolism in the liver that they are
    inactive. Those compounds in which substitution of the 17-
    carbon protects the compound from the rapid hepatic
    metabolism are active orally (Murad and Haynes, 1985).
    There are preparations of testosterone that can be taken
    sublingually.

5.2 Inhalation

Not relevant

5.3 Dermal

No data available

5.4 Eye

Not relevant

5.5 Parenteral

Intramuscular or deep subcutaneous injection is the
    principal route of administration of all the anabolic
    steroids except the 17-alpha-substituted steroids which are
    active orally.

5.6 Other

Not relevant

6. KINETICS

The absorption after oral dosing is rapid for
    testosterone and probably for other anabolic steroids, but
    there is extensive first-pass hepatic metabolism for all
    anabolic steroids except those that are substituted at the
    17-alpha position.

The rate of absorption from subcutaneous or intramuscular
    depots depends on the product and its formulation. Absorption
    is slow for the lipid-soluble esters such as the cypionate or
    enanthate , and for oily suspensions.

The anabolic steroids are highly protein bound, and is
    carried in plasma by a specific protein called sex-hormone
    binding globulin.

The metabolism of absorbed drug is rapid, and the
    elimination half-life from plasma is very short. The duration
    of the biological effects is therefore determined almost
    entirely by the rate of absorption from subcutaneous or
    intramuscular depots, and on the de-esterification which
    precedes it (Wilson, 1992).

6.4 Metabolism

Free (de-esterified) anabolic androgens are metabolized
    by hepatic mixed function oxidases (Wilson, 1992).

After administration of radiolabelled testosterone,
    about 90% of the radioactivity appears in the urine, and 6%
    in the faeces; there is some enterohepatic recirculation
    (Wilson, 1992).

7.1 Mode of action

7.1.1 Toxicodynamics

The toxic effects are an exaggeration of the
    normal pharmacological effects.

7.1.2 Pharmacodynamics

Anabolic steroids bind to specific receptors
    present especially in reproductive tissue, muscle and
    fat (Mooradian & Morley, 1987). The anabolic steroids
    reduce nitrogen excretion from tissue breakdown in
    androgen deficient men. They are also responsible for
    normal male sexual differentiation. The ratio of
    anabolic ("body-building") effects to androgenic
    (virilizing) effects may differ among the members of
    the class, but in practice all agents possess both
    properties to some degree. There is no clear evidence
    that anabolic steroids enhance overall athletic
    performance (Elashoff et al, 1991).

7.2 Toxicity

7.2.1 Human data

7.2.1.1 Adults

No data available.

7.2.1.2 Children

No data available.

No data available.

No data

7.3 Carcinogenicity

Anabolic steroids may be carcinogenic. They can
    stimulate growth of sex-hormone dependent tissue, primarily
    the prostate gland in men. Precocious prostatic cancer has
    been described after long-term anabolic steroid abuse (Roberts
    & Essenhigh, 1986). Cases where hepatic cancers have been
    associated with anabolic steroid abuse have been reported
    (Overly et al, 1984).

7.4 Teratogenicity

Androgen ingestion by a pregnant mother can cause
    virilization of a female fetus (Dewhurst & Gordon,
    1984).

7.5 Mutagenicity

No data available.

7.6 Interactions

No data available.

7.7 Main adverse effects

The adverse effects of anabolic steroids include weight
    gain, fluid retention, and abnormal liver function as
    measured by biochemical tests. Administration to children can
    cause premature closure of the epiphyses. Men can develop
    impotence and azoospermia. Women are at risk of
    virilization.

8.3.1.2 Urine
    8.3.1.3 Other fluids

interpretation

Biomedical analysis
    The following tests can be relevant in the investigation of
    chronic anabolic steroid abuse:
    a) full blood count
    b) electrolytes and renal function tests
    c) hepatic function tests
    d) testosterone
    e) Lutenizing hormone
    f) prostatic acid phosphatase or prostate related antigen
    g) blood glucose concentration
    h) cholesterol concentration

Toxicological analysis
    -urinary analysis for anabolic steroids and their
    metabolites

Other investigations
    -electrocardiogram

8.6 References

9. CLINICAL EFFECTS

9.1 Acute poisoning

9.1.1 Ingestion

Nausea and vomiting can occur.

9.1.2 Inhalation

Not relevant

9.1.3 Skin exposure

Not relevant

9.1.4 Eye contact

Not relevant

Patients are expected to recover rapidly after
    acute overdosage, but there are few data. "Body-
    builders" use doses many times the standard
    therapeutic doses for these compounds but do not
    suffer acute toxic effects.

9.1.6 Other

Not relevant

9.2 Chronic poisoning

9.2.1 Ingestion

Hepatic damage, manifest as derangement of
    biochemical tests of liver function and sometimes
    severe enough to cause jaundice; virilization in
    women; prostatic hypertrophy, impotence and
    azoospermia in men; acne, abnormal lipids, premature
    cardiovascular disease (including stroke and
    myocardial infarction), abnormal glucose tolerance,
    and muscular hypertrophy in both sexes; psychiatric
    disturbances can occur during or after prolonged
    treatment (Ferner & Rawlins, 1988; Kennedy, 1992; Ross
    & Deutch, 1990; Ryan, 1981; Wagner, 1989).

9.2.2 Inhalation

Not relevant

9.2.3 Skin exposure

Not relevant

9.2.4 Eye contact

Not relevant

Virilization in women; prostatic hypertrophy,
    impotence and azoospermia in men; acne, abnormal
    lipids, premature cardiovascular disease (including

stroke and myocardial infarction), abnormal glucose
    tolerance, and muscular hypertrophy in both sexes.
    Psychiatric disturbances can occur during or after
    prolonged treatment. Hepatic damage is not expected
    from parenteral preparations.

9.2.6 Other

Not relevant

Patients with symptoms of acute poisoning are expected
    to recover rapidly. Patients who persistently abuse high
    doses of anabolic steroids are at risk of death from
    premature heart disease or cancer, especially prostatic
    cancer. Non-fatal but long-lasting effects include voice
    changes in women and fusion of the epiphyses in children.
    Other effects are reversible over weeks or months.

9.4.1 Cardiovascular

Chronic ingestion of high doses of anabolic
    steroids can cause elevations in blood pressure, left
    ventricular hypertrophy and premature coronary artery
    disease (McKillop et al., 1986; Bowman, 1990; McNutt
    et al., 1988).

9.4.2 Respiratory

Not reported

9.4.3 Neurological

9.4.3.1 Central nervous system

Stroke has been described in a young
    anabolic steroid abuser (Frankle et al.,
    1988).

Pope & Katz (1988) described mania and
    psychotic symptoms of hallucination and
    delusion in anabolic steroid abusers. They
    also described depression after withdrawal
    from anabolic steroids. There is also
    considerable debate about the effects of
    anabolic steroids on aggressive behaviour
    (Schulte et al., 1993) and on criminal
    behaviour (Dalby, 1992). Mood swings were
    significantly more common in normal

volunteers during the active phase of a trial
    comparing methyltestosterone with placebo (Su
    et al., 1993).

No data available

No data available

No data available

9.4.4 Gastrointestinal

Acute ingestion of large doses can cause nausea
    and gastrointestinal upset.

9.4.5 Hepatic

Orally active (17-alpha substituted) anabolic
    steroids can cause abnormalities of hepatic function,
    manifest as abnormally elevated hepatic enzyme
    activity in biochemical tests of liver function, and
    sometimes as overt jaundice.

The histological abnormality of peliosis hepatis has
    been associated with anabolic steroid use (Soe et al.,
    1992).

Angiosarcoma (Falk et al, 1979) and a case of
    hepatocellular carcinoma in an anabolic steroid user
    has been reported (Overly et al., 1984).

9.4.6 Urinary

9.4.6.1 Renal

Not reported

9.4.6.2 Other

Men who take large doses of anabolic
    steroids can develop prostatic hypertrophy.
    Prostatic carcinoma has been described in
    young men who have abused anabolic steroids
    (Roberts & Essenhigh, 1986).

Small doses of anabolic steroids are said to
    increase libido, but larger doses lead to azoospermia
    and impotence. Testicular atrophy is a common clinical
    feature of long-term abuse of anabolic steroids, and
    gynaecomastia can occur (Martikainen et al., 1986;
    Schurmeyer et al., 1984; Spano & Ryan, 1984).

Women develop signs of virilism, with increased facial
    hair, male pattern baldness, acne, deepening of the
    voice, irregular menses and clitoral enlargement
    (Malarkey et al., 1991; Strauss et al., 1984).

9.4.8 Dermatological

Acne occurs in both male and female anabolic
    steroids abusers. Women can develop signs of
    virilism, with increased facial hair and male pattern
    baldness.

Changes in the larynx in women caused by
    anabolic steroids can result in a hoarse, deep voice.
    The changes are irreversible.

9.4.10 Haematological

Anabolic androgens stimulate erythropoesis.

9.4.11 Immunological

No data available

9.4.12 Metabolic

No data available.

Sodium and water retention can
    occur, and result in oedema; hypercalcaemia
    is also reported (Reynolds, 1992).

9.4.12.3 Others

Insulin resistance with a fall in
    glucose tolerance (Cohen & Hickman, 1987),
    and hypercholesterolaemia with a fall in high

density lipoprotein cholesterol, have been
    reported (Cohen et al., 1988; Glazer, 1991;
    Webb et al., 1984).

No data available

No data available

9.4.15 Special risks

Risk of abuse

9.5 Other

No data available

9.6 Summary

10. MANAGEMENT

10.1 General principles

The management of acute overdosage consists of
    supportive treatment, with fluid replacement if vomiting is
    severe. Chronic abuse should be discouraged, and
    psychological support may be needed as in the treatment of
    other drug abuse. The possibility of clinically important
    depression after cessation of usage should be borne in
    mind.

10.2 Life supportive procedures and symptomatic/specific treatment

Not relevant

10.3 Decontamination

Not usually required.

10.4 Enhanced elimination

Not indicated

10.5 Antidote treatment

10.5.1 Adults

None available

10.5.2 Children

None available

10.6 Management discussion

Not relevant

11. ILLUSTRATIVE CASES

A 38-year old man presented with acute urinary
    retention, and was found to have carcinoma of the prostate.
    He had taken anabolic steroids for many years, and worked as
    a "strong-man" (Roberts and Essenhigh, 1986).

A 22-year old male world-class weight lifter developed severe
    chest pain awaking him from sleep, and was shown to have
    myocardial infarction. For six weeks before, he had been
    taking high doses of oral and injected anabolic steroids.
    Total serum cholesterol was 596 mg/dL (HDL 14 mg/dL, LDL 513
    mg/dL) (McNutt et al., 1988). Values of total cholesterol
    concentration above 200 mg/dL are considered undesirable.

A 22-year old body builder took two eight-week courses of
    anabolic steroids. He became severely depressed after the
    second course, and when the depression gradually receded, he
    had prominent paranoid and religious delusions (Pope and
    Katz, 1987).

A 19-year old American college footballer took intramuscular
    testosterone and oral methandrostenolone over 4 months. He
    became increasingly aggressive with his wife and child. After
    he severely injured the child, he ceased using anabolic
    steroids, and his violence and aggression resolved within 2
    months (Schulte et al, 1993).

12.1 Specific preventive measures

Anabolic steroid abuse amongst athletes, weight
    lifters, body builders and others is now apparently common at
    all levels of these sports. Not all abusers are competitive
    sportsmen.
    There is therefore scope for a public health campaign, for
    example, based on gymnasia, to emphasize the dangers of
    anabolic steroid abuse and to support those who wish to stop
    using the drugs.

12.2 Other

No data available.

13. REFERENCES

ABPI Data Sheet Compendium (1993) Datapharm Publications,
    London.

Bowman S. (1990) Anabolic steroids and infarction. Br Med J;
    300:

Cohen JC & Hickman R. (1987) Insulin Resistance and diminished
    glucose tolerance in powerlifters ingesting anabolic steroids. J
    Clin Endocrinol Metab 64: 960.

ADDRESS(ES)

Author: Dr R. E. Ferner,
    West Midlands Centre for Adverse Drug Reaction
    Reporting,
    City Hospital Dudley Road,
    Birmingham B18 7QH
    England.
    Tel: +44-121-5074587
    Fax: +44-121-5236125
    Email: [email protected]

Date: 1994

Peer review: INTOX Meeting, Sao Paulo, Brazil, September 1994
    (Drs P.Kulling, R.McKuowen, A.Borges, R.Higa,
    R.Garnier, Hartigan-Go, E.Wickstrom)

Editor: Dr M.Ruse, March 1998

BJJ

Clomiphene

International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
    Summaries & Evaluations
    CLOMIPHENE CITRATE
    (Group 3)

For definition of Groups, see Preamble Evaluation.

Supplement 7: (1987) (p. 172)

Clomiphene
    CAS No.: 58-22-0
    Chem. Abstr. Name: 2-[4-(2-Chloro-1,2-diphenylethenyl)phenoxy]-N,N-diethylethanamine

Clomiphene citrate
    CAS No.: 50-41-9
    Chem. Abstr. Name: 2-[4-(2-Chloro-1,2-diphenylethenyl)phenoxy]-N,N-diethylethanamine-
    2-hydroxy-1,2,3-propanetricarboxylate (1:1)

A. Evidence for carcinogenicity to humans (inadequate)

Only case reports of benign and malignant tumours occurring at various sites are available [ref: 1-5]. These include testicular tumours in three young men who had received clomiphene as part of hormonal treatment for oligospermia [ref: 2], a hepatoblastoma in a female infant whose mother had received clomiphene citrate as treatment for infertility [ref: 3], a liver-cell adenoma in a woman who had received clomiphene citrate for oligomenorrhoea [ref: 4], and unilateral testicular neoplasms in two of 650 oligospermic men who had received monthly treatments with clomiphene citrate (daily for three weeks followed by a week of rest) for six to 12 months [ref: 5].

B. Evidence for carcinogenicity to animals (inadequate)

Clomiphene citrate was tested in an inadequate experiment in newborn rats by single subcutaneous injection; reproductive-tract abnormalities, including uterine and ovarian tumours, were reported [ref: 1].

C. Other relevant data

No data were available on the genetic and related effects of clomiphene citrate in humans. It did not induce chromosomal aberrations or micronuclei in bone-marrow cells of mice treated in vivo [ref: 6].

Overall evaluation

Clomiphene citrate is not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans (Group 3).

For definition of the italicized terms, see Preamble Evaluation.

Also see previous evaluation: Vol. 21 (1979)

References

1. IARC Monographs, 21, 551-561

2. Neoptolemos, J.P., Locke, T.J. & Fossard, D.P. (1981) Testicular tumour associated with hormonal treatment for oligospermia. Lancet, ii, 754

3. Melamed, I., Bujanover, Y., Hammer, J. & Spirer, Z. (1982) Hepatoblastoma in an infant born to a mother after hormonal treatment for steriligy. New Engl. J. Med., 307, 820

4. Carrasco, D., Barrachina, M., Prieto, M. & Berenguer, J. (1983) Clomiphene citrate and liver cell adenoma. New Engl. J. Med., 310, 1120-1121

5. Nilsson, A. & Nilsson, S. (1985) Testicular germ cell tumors after clomiphene therapy for subfertility. J. Urol., 134, 560-562

6. IARC Monographs, Suppl. 6, 184-185, 1987
    Synonyms for Clomiphene

* Chloramiphene
    * 2-para-(2-Chloro-1,2-diphenylvinyl)-phenoxy]triethylamine
    * 2-para-(b-Chloro-a-phenylstyryl)phenoxy]triethylamine
    * Clomifene
    * Clomiphene B

Synonyms for Clomiphene citrate

* Clomiphene dihydrogen citrate
    * 2-[p-(2-Chloro-1,2-diphenylvinyl)phenoxy]triethylamine citrate (1:1)
    * Clomid
    * Clomifeno
    * Clomivid
    * Clomphid
    * Chloramiphene
    * Dyneric
    * Genozym
    * Ikaclomin
    * Mer-41
    * MRL 41
    * MRL/41
    * NSC 35770
    * Omifin
    * Racemic clomiphene citrate

Last updated: 9 March 1998

International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
    Summaries & Evaluations
    CLOMIPHENE AND CLOMIPHENE CITRATE

VOL.: 21 (1979) (p. 551)

5. Summary of Data Reported and Evaluation
    (N.B. - This section should be read in conjunction with the General Remarks on Sex Hormones and with the General Conclusions on Sex Hormones.)

5.1 Experimental data
    Clomiphene citrate was inadequately tested in one experiment in newborn rats by subcutaneous injection; uterine and ovarian tumours were reported.

Clomiphene citrate is embryolethal for pre- and postimplantation embryos in several species and has various teratogenic effects in rats.

5.2 Human data
    There are a few case reports of the occurrence of malignant and benign tumours at various sites in patients treated with clomiphene citrate, but there is no evidence of a causal relationship.

No definite association between clomiphene citrate administration and congenital defects in humans has been demonstrated.

5.3 Evaluation
    The available experimental and human data are insufficient to evaluate the carcinogenicity of clomiphene citrate.

Subsequent evaluation: Suppl. 7 (1987)

Last updated 01/12/98
    Last edited by BJJ; 10-18-2009 at 04:08 PM.

BJJ

Tamoxifen 1

PHARMACEUTICALS
    1. NAME
    1.1 Substance
    Tamoxifen
    1.2 Group
    Anti-oestrogen, non-steroidal derivative of triphenyl ethylene
    ATC: L02B A01
    1.3 Synonyms
    (Z)-2-[4-(1,2-Diphenylbut-1-enyl)phenoxy]-N,N-dimethylethylamine citrate
    ICI 46 474
    [trans-1-(4-beta-dimethylaminoethoxyphenyl)-1,2-diphenylbut-1-ene]
    1.4.1 CAS number
    1.4.2 Other numbers
    Tamoxifen citrate: 54965-24-1
    1.5 Brand names, Trade names
    Emblon (Berk)
    Noltam (Lederle)
    Nolvadex (ICI)
    Nolvadex-D (ICI)
    Nolvadex forte(ICI)
    Tamofen (Tillotts)
    1.6 Manufacturers, Importers
    Berk Pharmaceuticals Ltd., ICI Pharmaceuticals (UK).,
    Lederle Laboratories., Tillotts Laboratories.
    2. SUMMARY
    There is no record of serious effects from tamoxifen after
    acute overdosage.

Adverse effects in therapeutic use are usually mild. They
    include effects caused by antagonism of endogenous oestrogens:
    hot flushes, non-specific gastrointestinal effects (nausea and
    vomiting), central nervous system effects, and rare ocular
    effects. Adverse haematological effects have been reported,
    also isolated cases of death from peliosis hepatis and from
    hyperlipidaemia.

In the treatment of breast cancer, hypercalcaemia and tumour
    flare can occur.
    Anti-oestrogenic effects in women treated with tamoxifen
    include vasomotor symptoms (hot flushes), vaginal bleeding and
    (in premenopausal women) irregular menses, and pruritus
    vulvae. Nausea and vomiting can occur.

Dizziness, lethargy, depression, irritability and cerebellar
    dysfunction have been described.

Reversible retinopathy with macular oedema has been reported
    after high cumulative doses (&gt7g), and corneal changes can
    occur.

Thrombocytopenia or leukopenia have been associated with
    tamoxifen treatment. Thromboembolism, which may be due to the
    disease rather than the treatment, has been recorded in women
    given tamoxifen for breast cancer.
    2.3 Diagnosis
    Based on history of exposure and occurrence of adverse effects
    such as hot flushes, nausea, vomiting, ocular disorders,
    tumour flare, hypercalcemia, vaginal bleeding and CNS signs
    and symptoms.
    General measures such as inducing emesis or gastric lavage may
    be indicated in massive overdosage.

Treatment is symptomatic.
    Synthetic.
    3.2 Chemical structure
    (Z)-2-[4-(1,2-Diphenylbut-1-enyl)phenoxy]-N,N-
    dimethylethylamine citrate

C26H29NO, C6H8O7

[trans-1-(4-beta-dimethylaminoethoxyphenyl)-1, 2-diphenylbut-1-ene]

Molecular weight = 563.6

pKa = 8.85
    3.3 Physical properties
    3.3.1 Properties of the substance
    Solubility in water at 37 °C = 0.05 g/100 ml.
    3.3.2 Properties of the locally available formulation
    No data available.
    Assumed to be at least 5 years.
    3.4.2 Shelf-life of the locally available formulation
    Assumed to be at least 5 years.
    3.4.3 Storage conditions
    Store between 15 and 30 °C
    Protect from light
    3.4.4 Bioavailability
    (to be added)
    3.4.5 Specific properties and composition
    (to be added by centre).
    4. USES
    4.1 Indications
    Treatment of advanced breast cancer and adjuvant
    treatment of early breast cancer.
    Treatment of anovulatory infertility.
    4.2 Therapeutic dosage
    4.2.1 Adults
    Breast cancer: initial dose 10 mg twice daily;
    if no response after 1 month, 20 mg twice daily.

Infertility: regular menstruation, 10 mg twice daily on
    days 2,3,4 and 5 of cycle, increasing to 20 mg twice
    daily and 40 mg twice daily in successive cycles if
    ovulation does not occur.

Amenorrhoea: 10 mg twice daily on 4 successive days,
    increasing to 20 mg twice daily and 40 mg twice daily
    after intervals of 45 and 90 days if ovulation does not
    occur.
    4.2.2 Children
    No data available.
    4.3 Contraindications
    Pregnancy is an absolute contraindication because of the anti-
    oestrogenic effects.
    5. ROUTES OF ENTRY
    5.1 Oral
    Usual route of entry
    5.2 Inhalation
    Not relevant.
    5.3 Dermal
    Not relevant.
    5.4 Eye
    Not relevant.
    5.5 Parenteral
    Not relevant.
    5.6 Other
    Not relevant.
    6. KINETICS
    Peak concentrations occur 4-7 h after oral dosing. Peak
    concentrations after single oral doses of 20 mg are about 40
    µ/l. There is no information on absolute bioavailability.
    (Martindale, 1989; Buckley & Goa, 1989; Lien et al., 1989)
    Tamoxifen is more than 99% protein-bound in serum,
    predominantly to albumin. In patients with breast cancer,
    concentrations of tamoxifen and its metabolites in pleural,
    pericardial and peritoneal effusion fluid are between 20 and
    100% of those in serum, but only trace amounts enter the
    cerebrospinal fluid. Concentrations in breast cancer tissue
    exceed those in serum.

The volume of distribution is 50-60 l/kg (Martindale, 1989;
    Buckley & Goa, 1989; Lien et al., 1989)
    The elimination is biphasic, with an initial half-life of
    around 7 h and a terminal half-life of 7-11 days. (Martindale,
    1989; Buckley & Goa, 1989; Lien et al., 1989)
    6.4 Metabolism
    Tamoxifen citrate undergoes extensive hepatic metabolism to:

1-(4-ethanolyloxyphenyl)-1,2-diphenylbut-1-ene (the primary
    alcohol)
    N-desmethyl tamoxifen
    4-hydroxy tamoxifen
    4-hydroxy-N-desmethyl tamoxifen

N-desdimethyl tamoxifen

(Martindale, 1989; Buckley & Goa, 1989; Lien et al., 1989)
    The major excretory route is via the bile as metabolites and
    enterohepatic recirculation occurs. Less than 1% is excreted
    in the urine. (Martindale, 1989; Buckley & Goa, 1989; Lien et
    al., 1989).
    7.1 Mode of action
    7.1.1 Toxicodynamics
    The adverse effects observed are due mainly to its anti-
    oestrogen effect, as Tamoxifen and certain of its
    metabolites antagonise the effects of oestrogens in
    oestrogen-sensitive tissues.
    7.1.2 Pharmacodynamics
    Tamoxifen and several of its metabolites (particularly 4-
    hydroxytamoxifen) bind to nuclear oestrogen receptors in
    oestrogen-sensitive tissues, and also to a microsomal
    protein termed the 'anti-oestrogen binding site'.
    Tamoxifen interferes with the physiological sequence by
    which oestrogen binds to its receptor, is translocated
    in the nucleus and then activates messenger RNA
    synthesis. Although the tamoxifen-receptor complex is
    transported in the nucleus in the same way as oestrogen-
    receptor complex, it fails to activate synthesis of
    mRNA. (Buckley & Goa, 1990)

A meta-analysis of published trials in breast cancer
    (Early Breast Cancer Trialists, 1988) demonstrates a
    reduction in odds of death of about 20% over the first 5
    years from diagnosis in women aged over 50 years.
    7.2 Toxicity
    7.2.1 Human data
    7.2.1.1 Adults
    There is no information on the acute toxicity of
    tamoxifen in overdosage.

The lowest cumulative dose of tamoxifen known to
    have induced retinopathy, an adverse effect
    which is recognised to be dose-dependent, is 7.7
    g (Griffiths, 1987)
    7.2.1.2 Children
    No data available.
    In some animal species, oestrogenic agonist effects
    become manifest at dosages equivalent to 10-100 times
    the human therapeutic dose (ABPI, 1989).
    No data available.
    7.3 Carcinogenicity
    A case-control study (Hardell, 1988) showed a significantly
    increased relative risk of carcinoma of the uterus in women
    previously treated with tamoxifen AND who had previously had
    radiotherapy involving the uterus. The study showed an
    increase in relative risk with tamoxifen treatment alone which

was NOT statistically significant (see also Section 7.4).
    7.4 Teratogenicity
    Studies in neonatal male (Taguchi, 1987) and female (Taguchi &
    Nishizuka, 1985) mice at relative doses 10 times higher than
    those used in humans have shown genital tract abnormalities
    similar to those caused by diethylstilboestrol, a known
    transplacental carcinogen (diethylstilboestrol causes vaginal
    adenosis, which predisposes to clear cell carcinoma).
    7.5 Mutagenicity
    Tamoxifen is believed not to be mutagenic (Martindale, 1989).
    7.6 Interactions
    Tamoxifen POTENTIATES the anticoagulant effect of warfarin,
    and this interaction can be life-threatening (Tenni et al,
    1989; Ritchie & Grant, 1989).
    7.7 Main adverse effects
    Adverse effects are usually mild. Thrombocytopenia,
    leukopenia, thromboembolism, peliosis hepatis and
    hyperlipidaemia have been mentioned in case reports.

Severe hypercalcaemia can occur rarely when treatment is
    started in patients with metastases to bone.

8.3.1.2 Urine
    8.3.1.3 Other fluids
    interpretation
    8.6 References
    9. CLINICAL EFFECTS
    9.1 Acute poisoning
    9.1.1 Ingestion
    No data available.
    9.1.2 Inhalation
    No data available.
    9.1.3 Skin exposure
    No data available.
    9.1.4 Eye contact
    No data available.
    No data available.
    9.1.6 Other
    No data available.
    9.2 Chronic poisoning
    9.2.1 Ingestion
    Retinal damage and keratitis have been reported in
    patients after large cumulative doses of tamoxifen,
    generally over 180 mg per day for more than 1 year
    (Buckley & Goa, 1989), though sometimes with smaller
    doses (Griffiths, 1987). There seems to be correlation
    between long-term tamoxifen administration and
    endometrical proliferation (Uziely et al, 1993).
    9.2.2 Inhalation
    No data available.
    9.2.3 Skin exposure
    No data available.
    9.2.4 Eye contact
    No data available.
    No data available.
    9.2.6 Other
    No data available.
    No data available.
    9.4.1 Cardiovascular
    No data available.
    9.4.2 Respiratory
    No data available.
    9.4.3 Neurological
    9.4.3.1 CNS
    A case of depression, syncope, and
    incoordination has been described during therapy
    with 10 mg twice daily (Pluss et al., 1984). The

symptoms resolved when tamoxifen was
    discontinued and reappeared when treatment was
    restarted.
    No data available.
    No data available.
    No data available.
    9.4.4 Gastrointestinal
    Nausea and vomiting occur with therapeutic doses in some
    patients, and are anticipated in overdosage (ABPI, 1989)
    9.4.5 Hepatic
    A fatal case of peliosis hepatis has been reported in a
    woman treated with tamoxifen for 2 years after
    mastectomy for carcinoma (Loomus et al., 1983).
    9.4.6 Urinary
    9.4.6.1 Renal
    No data available.
    9.4.6.2 Other
    A case of persistent nocturnal priapism has been
    reported (Fernando & Tobias, 1989).
    The anti-oestrogenic effects of tamoxifen in
    premenopausal women receiving therapeutic doses can
    cause irregular menses.

Anti-oestrogenic adverse effects in women treated with
    tamoxifen include vasomotor symptoms (hot flushes),
    vaginal bleeding and pruritus vulvae (Buckley & Goa,
    1989).
    9.4.8 Dermatological
    No data available.
    Treatment has been associated with retinal and corneal
    changes: see para 9.2.
    9.4.10 Haematological
    Thromboembolism may be more common in patients treated
    with tamoxifen, though this is not certain, as patients
    with cancer are at increased risk anyway.
    A small reduction in antithrombin III concentration was
    noted in a study of 11 postmenopausal women treated
    with tamoxifen, but it was clinically insignificant,
    and no significant reduction was seen in a group of
    premenopausal women (Jordan et al., 1987).

Thrombocytopenia and leukopenia can occur during
    therapy, but are not usually severe (ABPI, 1989). One
    case of severe myelosuppression has been reported
    (International Adjuvant Therapy Organisation, 1985).
    9.4.11 Immunological
    No data available.
    9.4.12 Metabolic
    No data available.

Severe hypercalcaemia, associated with
    increased bone resorption, has been noted when
    patients with bony metastases commenced
    therapy (Martindale, 1989).
    9.4.12.3 Others
    Severe hyperlipidaemia is occasionally seen,
    and has been ascribed to an oestrogenic effect
    (Noguchi et al., 1987)
    No data available.
    No data available.
    9.4.15 Special risks
    Pregnancy, breast feeding, enzyme deficiencies: no data
    available (see sections 7.3 and 7.4)
    9.5 Other
    No data available.
    9.6 Summary
    10. MANAGEMENT
    10.1 General principles
    It is unlikely that serious acute toxicity would occur, and
    management is supportive. The stomach should be emptied
    after massive overdosage.
    10.2 Relevant laboratory analyses
    10.2.1 Sample collection
    No data available.
    10.2.2 Biomedical analysis
    Urea, creatinine and electrolytes may be helpful in
    the assessment of patients who are vomiting.
    10.2.3 Toxicological analysis
    Not relevant.
    10.2.4 Other investigations
    Not relevant.
    10.3 Life supportive procedures and symptomatic/specific
    treatment
    Nausea and vomiting may make intravenous fluid replacement
    necessary.
    10.4 Decontamination
    Gastric lavage may be of value in massive overdosage, but
    there are no data on this subject.
    10.5 Elimination
    Therapy to enhance elimination is not likely to be effective,
    given the large volume of distribution.
    10.6 Antidote treatment
    10.6.1 Adults
    Not relevant.
    10.6.2 Children
    Not relevant.
    10.7 Management discussion
    No data available.
    11. ILLUSTRATIVE CASES
    No data available.
    11.2 Internally extracted data on cases
    One manufacturer (ICI) is aware of the case of a woman aged
    51 years who claimed to have swallowed 100 x 10 mg tablets

of tamoxifen, and who suffered no ill effects (JI Landles,
    personal communication).
    11.3 Internal cases
    No data available.
    12.1 Availability of antidotes
    Not relevant.
    12.2 Specific preventive measures
    No data available.
    12.3 Other
    No data available.
    13. REFERENCES
    ABPI (Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry) (1989)
    Data Sheet Compendium. London.

Buckley M M-T, Goa KL (1989). Tamoxifen: a reappraisal of its
    pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties and therapeutic
    use. Drugs, 37: 451-490.

Early Breast Cancer Trialists Collaborative Group (1988).
    Effects of adjuvant tamoxifen and of cytotoxic therapy on
    mortality in early breast cancer. New Eng. J. Med., 319: 1681-

ADDRESS(ES)
    Author: Dr R.E. Ferner
    Northern Drug and Therapeutics Centre
    The Wolfson Unit
    Royal Victoria Infirmary
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE1 4LP
    United Kingdom

Tel: 44-91-2328511
    Fax: 44-91-2323613

Date: 15 April 1990

Peer Review: Strasbourg, France, April 1990

Review: IPCS, May 1994

BJJ

Tamoxifen 2

TAMOXIFEN
    (Group 1)

For definition of Groups, see Preamble Evaluation.

VOL.: 66 (1996) (p. 253)

CAS No.: 10540-29-1
    Chem. Abstr. Name: (Z)-2-[4-(1,2-Diphenyl-1-butenyl)phenoxy]-N,N-dimethylethanamine

CAS No.: 54965-24-1
    Chem. Abstr. Name: (Z)-2-[4-(1,2-Diphenyl-1-butenyl)phenoxy]-N,N-dimethylethanamine,
    2-hydroxy-1,2,3-propanetricarboxylate (1:1)

5. Summary of Data Reported and Evaluation
    5.1 Exposure data

Tamoxifen has been available since the early 1970s for the first-line treatment of metastatic breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Since the 1980s, it has become the therapy of choice for this condition. Tamoxifen has also become the adjuvant therapy of choice for treatment of postmenopausal, node-positive women with positive oestrogen-receptor or progesterone-receptor levels and, since the early 1990s, for the treatment of postmenopausal, node-negative women with positive oestrogen-receptor or progesterone-receptor levels. It is also widely used in treating postmenopausal receptor-negative women and premenopausal women with node-negative, receptor-positive disease. When used as adjuvant therapy, tamoxifen reduces the annual rates of both death from and recurrence of breast cancer by about 25%. Tamoxifen is commonly given at doses of 20 mg daily for periods of two to five years in the adjuvant setting, although doses of up to 40 mg daily have been used in the past. Several clinical trials are in progress to study the efficacy of tamoxifen in preventing breast cancer in healthy women believed to be at high risk of developing the disease.

Tamoxifen has been widely adopted as the first-line therapy of choice for hormone-responsive male breast cancer and is frequently used as adjuvant therapy for oestrogen receptor- or progesterone receptor-positive male breast cancer.

Tamoxifen is registered for use in nearly 100 countries and cumulative use since 1973 is estimated at 7 million patient-years.

5.2 Human carcinogenicity data

The potential effect of tamoxifen in increasing the risk of endometrial cancer has been reported in one adequate cohort study, four adequate case-control studies and 14 randomized controlled trials.

In the cohort study, based on follow-up of registered cases of breast cancer in the population-based Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) database in the United States, the only available data on therapy were those reported at the time of initial registration. Both groups of women with reported tamoxifen use and those with no such reported use had elevated rates of endometrial cancer compared with the rates expected from the SEER database as a whole. The risk was significantly greater for women with reported tamoxifen use. The similar stage distribution in the two groups suggests a lack of serious detection bias in this study. The absence of hysterectomies could not be confirmed in this study.

The case-control studies were based on the identification of a series of women with breast cancer who had subsequently been diagnosed with endometrial cancer, with tamoxifen exposure assessed in comparison with breast cancer patients who had not developed endometrial cancer. In two of these, case and control selection was based on the records of population-based cancer registries, and two used the same source as well as hospital-based cancer registries. For the Swedish study, although an increased risk of endometrial cancer for tamoxifen use was found, the only information on treatment was that recorded in the cancer registry. Further, the absence of hysterectomy in the control series could not be confirmed. For the remaining three case-control studies, more detailed data on treatment and on hysterectomies were obtained from medical records. In the studies in France and the Netherlands, a nonsignificant elevation of risk for endometrial cancer with use of tamoxifen was found, with a significant increase in risk with increasing duration of therapy in one. In the United States study, which reported on shorter duration of use, the point estimate of risk was less than unity.

Although several potential confounders were not systematically addressed in most studies, the Working Group considered that these were unlikely to have had a major effect on the reported relative risks.

In most of the randomized trials, small numbers of endometrial cancers were reported, and for many the data were not reported in a way that corrected for the greater survival time in most trials of the tamoxifen-treated patients compared to the control series. In two of the largest trials, however, there was a strong and statistically significant association between risk for endometrial cancer and use of tamoxifen. Although there may have been a tendency for publication bias and there is some possibility of a detection bias as a result of investigations in women with side-effects from tamoxifen, the magnitude of the risk found in the two large trials is unlikely to be explained by such biases. Further, for the trials that reported deaths in women with endometrial cancer, to date there have been eight deaths in women allocated to tamoxifen treatment groups and one in those not allocated to tamoxifen.

One case series reported significantly more high-grade endometrial tumours in tamoxifen-treated cancer patients than in patients without prior tamoxifen use. However, in at least six other studies, this difference was not found.

The SEER-based cohort study found a significantly reduced risk for contralateral breast cancers in the tamoxifen-treated women, compared with women with no reported tamoxifen use. The case-control study from the United States also reported a significant reduction of risk for contralateral cancers of the breast following tamoxifen use.

Although for some small trials there seemed to be little difference in the numbers of contralateral breast cancers in tamoxifen-treated women compared with controls, for the large trials, there was a substantially and significantly reduced risk for contralateral breast cancer in tamoxifen-treated women compared with controls. Further, in an overview analysis of nearly all trials published in 1992 with data available to 1990, there was a significant reduction of 39% in contralateral breast cancers in the tamoxifen-treated groups.

For all other cancer sites, no significant excess of any cancer has been found in either the cohort study or the trials. Although an excess of gastrointestinal cancer was reported following a combined analysis of three Scandinavian trials, this has not yet been confirmed by other studies.

5.3 Animal carcinogenicity data

Tamoxifen was tested for carcinogenicity by oral administration in one study in mice and in eight studies in rats, only one of which was a formal two-year study. In mice, the incidences of benign ovarian and testicular tumours were increased. In rats, tamoxifen induced preneoplastic liver lesions and benign or malignant liver tumours. In one study, the incidence of some tumours in hormone-dependent tissues was decreased, including in the mammary gland, although reduced weight gain may have been a contributing factor. In two studies in which tamoxifen was tested by subcutaneous implantation in intact or ovariectomized female mice, it inhibited mammary tumour development in both.

In mice, tamoxifen was reported to inhibit 3-methylcholanthrene-induced cervical cancer and virus-induced leukaemia. In several studies in both male and female rats, tamoxifen enhanced the hepatocarcinogenicity of previously administered N-nitrosodiethylamine. In one study in rats, tamoxifen enhanced the development of N-nitrosodiethylamine-induced kidney tumours. In a number of studies in rats, tamoxifen inhibited 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced mammary tumour development. In two studies in hamsters, tamoxifen inhibited hormonal carcinogenesis induced by 17b-oestradiol in the kidney and zeranol in the liver.

5.4 Other relevant data

Orally administered tamoxifen is well absorbed and maximum plasma levels are reached in about 5 h. Steady-state concentrations of tamoxifen in humans are reached in 3-4 weeks and those of the primary metabolite, N-desmethyltamoxifen, in about eight weeks. Tissue concentrations tend to be higher than plasma concentrations. Metabolism involves phenyl hydroxylation, alkyl hydroxylation, demethylation and N-oxide formation. Metabolism results in more products in man and rats than in mice. Much higher oral doses of tamoxifen are required for rats or mice to achieve plasma concentrations similar to human levels.

Tamoxifen is an antioestrogen with complex pharmacology encompassing variable species-, tissue-, cell-, gene-, age- and duration of administration-specific effects from oestrogen-like agonist actions to complete blockade of oestrogen action. This complexity is consistent with the various, and sometimes paradoxical, effects that have been associated with tamoxifen administration in animals and humans.

The most frequent side-effects of tamoxifen administration are hot flushes and vaginal discharge. Tamoxifen has effects on the human uterus, inducing atrophy, hyperplasia and, less frequently, polyps. Randomized placebo-controlled trials revealed a slight increase of thromboembolic events, but also a protective effect regarding myocardial diseases, according to hospital admission rates and deaths. Tamoxifen administration has been shown to decrease blood total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol concentrations in a number of studies. Several preliminary trials have suggested mildly positive effects of tamoxifen in preserving bone mineral density in postmenopausal women, but much longer follow-up is required to confirm t his potentially beneficial effect.

The acute toxicity of tamoxifen in experimental animals is low. In repeated-dose studies in rats, tamoxifen induced hypertrophy, but not cell proliferation, in the endometrial epithelium; endometrial hyperplasia was, however, reported in mice. Furthermore squamous metaplasia and atrophy of the uterine epithelium was observed in chronic studies in rats. Induction of cytochromes P450 and preneoplastic lesions have been detected in the livers of rats.

Ocular toxicity, including lipidosis of the retina and cornea and increased incidence of cataract, was reported in studies in rats of chronic exposure to tamoxifen.

In the presence of human, mouse, rat and hamster microsomes, tamoxifen binds covalently to protein. Tamoxifen has oestrogenic effects on human fetal genital tracts grown in athymic mice. In rats, doses above 2 mg/kg body weight produce irregular ossification of ribs in the fetus, which is thought to be secondary to reduction of the size of the uterus of the dam. No effects on the fetus have been reported in rabbits, marmosets or cynomolgus monkeys.

There is no direct evidence that tamoxifen is active in tests for gene mutation. Evidence for the genotoxic potential of tamoxifen is supported by data obtained on DNA adduct formation in rodent liver cells in vitro and in vivo, and in rodent and human liver microsomal systems; on unscheduled DNA synthesis in rat hepatocytes in vitro; and on the induction of clastogenic events both in vitro, in genetically-engineered human cells, and in vivo in rat liver.

There is evidence from 32P-postlabelling studies that three metabolites, (a-hydroxytamoxifen, 4-hydroxytamoxifen and (Z)-1,2-diphenyl-1-(4-hydroxyphenyl)but-1-ene (metabolite E) can be further metabolized to products that react with DNA. The major DNA adduct formed in rodent liver cells has been identified as (E)-(a-(N2-deoxyguanosinyl) tamoxifen. Human hepatocytes do not form detectable DNA adducts when treated in vitro with tamoxifen; they form 300-fold lower levels of adducts than rat and mouse hepatocytes when treated with a-hydroxytamoxifen.

Preliminary studies indicate that tamoxifen does not give rise to detectable levels of DNA adducts in human liver in vivo or in human endometrium in vitro and in vivo.

Mechanistic considerations

Tamoxifen increases liver tumour incidence in rats, which may involve both DNA damage leading to increased numbers of initiated cells and oestrogen receptor-mediated clonal expansion of those initiated cells.

The available evidence suggests that tamoxifen is carcinogenic in rat liver by a genotoxic mechanism. Preliminary information from studies of human tissues suggests that humans are less susceptible to the genotoxicity of tamoxifen. Tamoxifen also possesses tumour-promoting activity in the rat liver.

Several studies have shown that the liver contains significant quantities of oestrogen receptor in hepatocytes, Kupffer cells and endothelial cells.

Tamoxifen acts as an oestrogen agonist and/or antagonist by binding directly to the oestrogen receptor. In some tissues, such as breast, tamoxifen exhibits antioestrogenic properties by binding to the oestrogen receptor with high affinity. The tamoxifen-oestrogen receptor complex is incapable of binding to DNA-responsive elements. Thus, oestrogen receptor binding does not result in normal transcriptional activity. In other tissues, such as bone and liver, tamoxifen acts as a partial agonist, possibly because cells from those tissues contain a different array of DNA binding sites, thereby leading to typical oestrogen-mediated changes in gene expression and subsequent biological effects on growth and differentiation. Therefore, tissue-specific effects of tamoxifen-oestrogen receptor on gene expression may be involved in the ability of tamoxifen to increase or decrease tumour risk.

5.5 Evaluation

There is sufficient evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of tamoxifen in increasing the risk for endometrial cancer and there is conclusive evidence that tamoxifen reduces the risk for contralateral breast cancer in women with a previous diagnosis of breast cancer.

There is inadequate evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of tamoxifen in other organs.

There is sufficient evidence in experimental animals for the carcinogenicity of tamoxifen.

Overall evaluation

Tamoxifen is carcinogenic to humans (Group 1) and there is conclusive evidence that tamoxifen reduces the risk of contralateral breast cancer.

(Dr Cuzick dissociated himself from the evaluation process because he considered that the range of evaluation statements available within the framework of the Monographs was not suitable for this agent.)

For definition of the italicized terms, see Preamble Evaluation

Synonyms for Tamoxifen

* 1-para-b-Dimethylaminoethoxyphenyl-trans-1,2-diphenylbut-1-ene
    * (Z)-2-[4-(1,2-Diphenylbut-1-enyl)phenoxy]ethyldimethylamine

Synonyms for Tamoxifen citrate

* Apo-Tamox
    * Citofen
    * Dignotamoxi
    * Duratamoxifen 5
    * Emblon
    * ICI-46474
    * Jenoxifen
    * Kessar
    * Ledertam
    * Noltam
    * Nolvadex
    * Nourytam
    * Novofen
    * Oestrifen
    * Oncotam
    * Retaxim
    * Tafoxen
    * Tam
    * Tamaxin
    * Tamifen
    * Tamofen
    * Tamone
    * Tamoplex
    * Tamoxasta
    * Tamox-Gry
    * Z-Tamoxifen citrate
    * Tamoxigenat
    * Tamox-Puren
    * Taxfeno
    * Terimon
    * Valodex
    * Zemide
    * Zitazonium

Last updated 05/22/97

BJJ
    After this deep researches, I need a break!

I have a question for those experienced with AAS while training.
    Basically, today I did for the first time after many months, so I did not remember which weights I used to lift, the Dumbell Flies (Outer Pectorals).
    I started with 22kgs and made 10 reps but I felt tired at the end. I thought that weight could be correct to keep going but then I decided to increase it to 24kgs, after all I am using anavar ! WTF
    So, each time I ended the 10 reps I added 2 kgs more and after 4 sets I reached 28 kgs (62 lbs, where I felt I was starting to use my shoulders to help).

Is this normal? I mean to start with a weight and just going up adding more even though it seemed the previous weight was enough?
    Thank you.

BJJ

Smile

Today anavar made me happy indeed.
    I used to lift (naturally) 28kgs 1 rep dumbbell curl (per arm), so 61 lbs.
    I did the same weight but I made 4 sets of 8 reps and I am on day 27, not bad!

Furthermore, a guy who knows me a bit asked me what I am using not because I am bigger then used to be but because of the strength increase.
    I told him I am using a mixture of powder creatine and liquid creatine...

I am in trouble now, he wants to do it too!

Ha ... Getting called out sir... Say protein baby protein

BJJ

Day 27

Last edited by BJJ; 10-28-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: pic deleted

BJJ

Day 27

Last edited by BJJ; 11-30-2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: pic deleted

BJJ
    I am having some pangs on my rear part of the lower back.
    It happened already sometimes during the last ten days but today it's bothering more than usual and it's persistent.
    Anyone experienced in this before?
    Yesterday, I added proviron at 50mg ed.

fig
    fig is offline Member
    Pics look good BJJ. Keep it up man!!!!

BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by fig View Post
    Pics look good BJJ. Keep it up man!!!!
    thx

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information