mmaximus25 is offline Senior Member

IS ANYONE GETTING shorter!!

I grew to a height of 5'11" in high school... I started training when I was 19 now I'm 27 220 and I've been noticing the center of my back between my shoulder blades is constantly under stress. If I don’t get my fiancé to walk on me... Its like having death humping your back...

Well long story short I figure I've shrunk 3/4 of an inch. Might as well say 5'10".... I started asking some of the bigger fellows in the gym and it was like a common knowledge extravaganza. I was like "what"... One guy said "yeah I use to be 6'1", now I'm a little under 6'0" 245.... Others are saying if I don’t start stretching my legs better and getting deep tissue messages, even acupuncture then an inch and maybe one more is going to go the heavier I get… One buddy told me don’t expect to be 250 solid with out having some back trouble and don’t expect to be able to keep your back vertebra from compressing at least ½ an inch.... I'm not looking forward to being 5'9" especially after wanting and dreaming of being taller… like 6'1"...

Now I don’t actually think I'm going to get that compressed vertebra thing as long as I take care of my self, but I'm use to putting my back through a “Sadomasochist”-treatment when squatting or doing dead lifts...

Anyone have any input on this meek subject... I’m looking into acupuncture… I am serious though there is an inch gone and it like living a lie for I don’t know how long now… I remember asking this guy “how tall are you”… He’s like 5’11”… I said “no way, cause I’m 5’11” and your taller”…. Yeah fucking A right… no… he was right… afterwards I just kinda thought about my dad for a while… and his ass is short now too….

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    When I first joined this site, i thought I was 5'10-1/2. I got measured a few months ago and it came out to 5'8-3/4.

Dont know if I was just dillusional for a years or what, but I will say seeing that measurment at the docs was less that exciting

Shortyrock13 is offline Associate Member
    you gotta take the compact car squats out of your routine and get some inversion boots, should fix you up.

JasonNew-b is offline Associate Member
    In my house, with my wife and my kids...and my dog
    WTF? I've never heard of this before. Are there any of the docs that can shed some light on this?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNew-b
    WTF? I've never heard of this before. Are there any of the docs that can shed some light on this?
    I 2nd that!

But I gotta tell you it's true bro. I don’t remember what the old back cracker told me... I just went there for advice not to be working on... I don’t remember what he called it... but through out the years of just regular life standing and sitting for the majority of the time... your vertebra begin to compress... add weight lifting to that at the process is speeded up...

Although he said something about the tension of muscles is the main cause and different types of stretching can help...
    Now I don’t want to take one guys opinion so I'm asking you guys too... I've asked others around the gym and got some input but want to know how the accupuncture releases tension around the vertebra?

Shortyrock13... I think the inversion boots would be the ones with the hooks... right... there’s a table they strap you to and can hang you upside down also...

I'm going to look into the stretching techniques and find out more about acupuncture. The stretching involves the calves, hams, glute and on up to the rombies and neck...
    One is like a ball with your legs spread out like scissors but some one has to lean on you while you curl you back... It reminds me of some football calisthenics we use to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Pheedno
    When I first joined this site, i thought I was 5'10-1/2. I got measured a few months ago and it came out to 5'8-3/4.

Don’t know if I was just dillusional for a years or what, but I will say seeing that measurment at the docs was less that exciting
    Pheedno you’re 25yrs old right... I'm 27 and just noticed this a couple months ago... What’s kinda freaky is that I haven't talked to anyone that has said the opposite about the shorter thing... granted I'm asking fellow gym rats that live and breath the iron... Scary... maybe... cause It seems the bigger you want to be... the more you might be condemned???

On the brighter side... I think if stretching will help I wouldn't mind losing 1/2 an inch in height for 20lb of solid muscle mass....

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I hope this isn't true.......... I'm only 5'7" as is or at least I think I still am.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Damn it.......now I'm going to have to measure myself. I know that your spin compresses during the course of a typical day but I'm sure it's exagerated due to weight lifting. If you were to measure yourself in the morning you'll be taller than when you measure yourself before you go to bed, while you sleep your spin will expand. Now I don't know if that's completly true but I'd heard it and it sounded logical. If you've had any surgery on the spin like I have I'm sure you lose a little height as well. I was 5'11" 3/4 and now I think I'm something like 5'10" 1/2..........I'll have to measure and find out.

Don't tell Mud but I think he's close to 5'4" by now. hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Damn it.......now I'm going to have to measure myself. I know that your spin compresses during the course of a typical day but I'm sure it's exagerated due to weight lifting. If you were to measure yourself in the morning you'll be taller than when you measure yourself before you go to bed, while you sleep your spin will expand. Now I don't know if that's completly true but I'd heard it and it sounded logical.
    That’s what the back cracker said and a trainer friend of mine too...

But I think there’s something to be said for the compounding effect of weight lifting over the course of ten years along with typical stress...

I was talking to a message therapist last night and she said that muscles with alot of stress don’t fully relax on their own without stretching or therapy... And the main cause of this compression is gravity and muscle tension...

I still dont know if some are effected more than others...
    Last edited by mmaximus25; 10-08-2003 at 12:47 PM.

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Ok boy i have no proof but i heard something one time about how as you age the disks in your spine compact thus making you lose some height. Now if you combine that with a heavy workout then it seams like this would be compounded greatly. Think about it are your grandma's very tall?? i can remamber mine being about 5,4 when i was little. Now i can damn near step over her when i need to grab something out of the fridge. my mom is the same way ageing sucks as she puts it

Quote Originally Posted by ENraged
    Ok boy i have no proof but i heard something one time about how as you age the disks in your spine compact thus making you lose some height. Now if you combine that with a heavy workout then it seams like this would be compounded greatly. Think about it are your grandma's very tall?? i can remamber mine being about 5,4 when i was little. Now i can damn near step over her when i need to grab something out of the fridge. my mom is the same way ageing sucks as she puts it

That's a nice avatar... I dig anime

I've faced the facts now... that we start in diapers and end in diapers... I'm gonna loose some height... But...

About the time when I start shitting and pissing in my own throw away underwear... Is when I get a plane ticket to Colorado in the winter... Take a little hiking trip on a below zero night with a bottle of Jack....

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    summer 2002 i was 5 feet 10 at 165lbs
    summer 2003 im 5 9 3/4 at 203lbs
    i thought it was cause by my feet problem, but you bring up an interresting subject...

im thinking of reconsidering my wish to be 250 one day...

I don't know fellas I've been training for years and last summer I was 1/2 in. shorter than I was this summer, but I have studied and learned that bone density and vertebral compression cause the loss of height in the older age but I can tell you when looking at a power lifter after years of doing it, the actual size of there bones increase, especially the epiphyses, this doesn't neccesarily mean the length but the circumference will increase, and I'm not exactly sure but I would almost put money on the fact that putting my ass under the squat rack every weak will definetely effect the rate of my vertebrae compressing.

Whatcha gonna do brother.......

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaximus25
    That's a nice avatar... I dig anime

I've faced the facts now... that we start in diapers and end in diapers... I'm gonna loose some height... But...

About the time when I start shitting and pissing in my own throw away underwear... Is when I get a plane ticket to Colorado in the winter... Take a little hiking trip on a below zero night with a bottle of Jack....

you an me both i will grab a fat sac and go with

Addicted2Mass is offline New Member

Acupuncture...

Believe me, GET IT DONE!!!

I don't necessarily have acupuncture but opt for ACUPRESSURE "shiatsu" !

Worth every penny (I pay $100/ hr to 2 hrs) The thepatist I see here in Dallas is very well know in the Bodybuilding circuit. It rids me of all toxins and lactic acid, I see him every month. Sessions run anywhere from 1 hr till he deems I have had enough treatment, all for $100. This guy also treats most of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders too, lucky bastard!

BUT definatly look into get this type of massage (shiatsu) done on you, it will be a great investment and shortens your recup time dramaticaly!

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Squats compresses the spine which will cause you to get a little shorter. I thought it was common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    Squats compresses the spine which will cause you to get a little shorter. I thought it was common knowledge.
    Teah... a little like 1/4 of an inch from heavy squatting I thought... 1in due to aging yeah... but beyond a 1-1/2in and that’s not natural... I'd even say 1in needs attention...IMO

I've been doing some yoga type stretching that’s helped out a great deal. And can say this stretching over a course of 3-4 weeks has improved my pain and height. My next move is the acupuncture. I’m getting older and I know 27 isn’t old yet but I’ve always been the guy that doesn’t go to the doctor and be Mr. fix it himself… I'm going to let some studied individuals help me out now… I mean soon….
    What I've found now, is if you haven't been going to a therapist or practicing a type of stretching art or even acupuncture; you’re not just going to get shorter you are headed for a back injury, a possible ham string pull or tear and in my opinion a slower growth in total lean mass.

A sure sign you’re not taking care of your back is finding out about any abnormal compression and just accepting it... then the worst that nobody wants to hear, is the major down side to not relieving your vertebra from stress is the slower over all gains and high compensation from other muscle groups.

I just caught the fact I've gotten shorter... but the nagging pain between my shoulder blades, my latest ham string injury, my left hip pain can be attributed to grunting through work outs where my back is under a lot of tension from tight muscles around my vertebrae and to compression of those vertebra over a 10 year period of time.
    Last edited by mmaximus25; 11-15-2003 at 08:38 AM.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, I just meausred myself and I'm like 5'7"??? You've got to be kidding me? I thought I was 5'8"!!!!! Thanks guys for ruining my night!!!!

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Fuck that,I'm not measuring myself......all's I know was a few years ago I was 5' 9"......probably 5-8 now!!!!!

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    Fuck that,I'm not measuring myself......all's I know was a few years ago I was 5' 9"......probably 5-8 now!!!!!

Don't do it!! It will piss you off!!!!

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonNew-b
    Unfortunately this is a downside of the aging process..It happens to EVERYONE gradually over time..Gravity, weakened skeletal integrity, and weight gain have a great impact on your overall height..Sorry guys!! There are things that you can do: stretching, gravity boots, massages..All of these things help, but are really only temporary fixes..

Doc M

wannagrow is offline New Member
    I had this problem as well, i have to get amedical every year for my job and ive lost just over an inch in the last few years and i'm still young.
    When the doc measured me and said i was just under 6"2 i was like wtf, at school i was def 6"3. I went home and had a look at the old measuring against the kitchen wall that your mother does, and yeah, i'm shorter.

Chris009 is offline New Member
    ****ty

vanda1s is offline New Member
    now that i think about it i've gone from being 5'11 before lifting (taller then my dad) to as tall as my dad when I WEAR SHOES. AND I'M ONLY 16!

Thread Information