johnsomebody is offline Senior Member

OK, what's my bodyfat??

Hey bros,

The trainers at my gym try to get you to have your BF checked regularly but I don't trust their results. First they said 30%, which I thought was nuts. Then it was 18, which I thought might be more like it, then a few weeks ago they said 26%. I run whenever I see them coming now.

But can you guys give me an idea of what it might actually be? They insisted 26% was totally accurate.

Thanks ya'll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OK, what's my bodyfat??-whatsmybodyfat.jpg  

KeyMastur is offline VET
    they probably used a caliper. that things always off. and a lot if they don't do it right.

i'd say in the mid teens

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    upper teens, low twenties tops

DOUGTM1SS is offline Associate Member
    Teens & 20's

t-money is offline Member
    Mid to Upper Teens.

T

Elysium is offline Productive Member
    Get a tan.

I'd probably say around 18-20%

SaTyR is offline Member
    at LEAST 20 !

Thanks guys, that's more what I was thinking, somewhere near 20. The guy that said 30 swore he was correct but the 30s I've seen were pretty tubby. And yep, it was the calipers, hooked to some kinda computer.

Justoid is offline Associate Member
    dont mean to be or sound like a prick bro but with someone with over 1000 posts id kinda expect them to be in better shape as i assume at one point you have given advice on training and as, correct me if im wrong please bud.

thickmass is offline Member
    Man

Get a chest!

Quote Originally Posted by Justoid
    dont mean to be or sound like a prick bro but with someone with over 1000 posts id kinda expect them to be in better shape as i assume at one point you have given advice on training and as, correct me if im wrong please bud.
    Oh come on, I'm not that bad. I'm 52 years old for God's sake. To see the rest of me check out at http://67.18.108.244//showthread.php?t=92972

And the vast majority of my posts aren't to give advice but to learn stuff, like everyone else here.

snowman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsomebody
    Oh come on, I'm not that bad. I'm 52 years old for God's sake. To see the rest of me check out at http://67.18.108.244//showthread.php?t=92972

And the vast majority of my posts aren't to give advice but to learn stuff, like everyone else here.
    Ya, it could be the picture in this thread.... you do look a lot better on this thread you posted a wile back.
    52 hey... i hope i look as good as you, when i get to that age.
    Nice job bro.

Latimus is offline Banned
    17% tops

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    You're 52? Jeez, that's awesome Pops..I mean, bro.

You look solid, probably Mid-Teens if you ask me. You got some cool hair patches on you though, I give you that.

Juice Weasel is offline New Member
    lookin good for the five deuce

Justoid is offline Associate Member
    you look great for 52 bud and as i said no offence or harm was intended with the comment.

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    18-20

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickmass
    Man

Get a chest!
    If you can't write something constructive, then don't post. Flaming people like this is one of the quickest ways to be shown the exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Justoid
    Justoid,
    Post count is not an indication of knowledge or someone's build. There are a lot of people on every muscle board that run up thier post counts by posting garbage. I'm sure you can find an example of that somewhere in this very thread.

Johnsomebody has been around this board long enough to know how to answer many people's questions better than some who have twice as many posts as he.

John, to answer your question, you look like you're aound 15-18% body fat in that picture. In the picture you linked you look around 13-15% body fat.

Keep pushing yourself, and you will continue to grow (no-brainer). Stop thinking that 52 is an excuse to fall behind the curve--it's not. If you're on HRT and/or are using steroids , lifting intensely, resting well and eating properly, then you have all the tools you need (and more) to build a great body (which you're obviously in the process of doing).
    Congratulations on your progress! Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 10-12-2004 at 08:48 PM.

buffgrandpa is offline New Member
    Thanks BASK8KACE I was just about to say the same thing.. You da man.
    Keep up the good work John....

Thanks guys, that helps.

I just wanted to know if it was as bad fat-wise as they were telling me with the calipers. 30% just seemed too high to me but I was beginning to wonder if maybe I was deluding myself into thinking I couldn't be THAT bad when I really was.

By the way, I don't think 52 is a reason to fall behind the curve! I really don't get why people give up and let themselves go to hell when they get older. Seems like they should be doing the opposite.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks guys, that helps.

I just wanted to know if it was as bad fat-wise as they were telling me with the calipers. 30% just seemed too high to me but I was beginning to wonder if maybe I was deluding myself into thinking I couldn't be THAT bad when I really was.

By the way, I don't think 52 is a reason to fall behind the curve! I really don't get why people give up and let themselves go to hell when they get older. Seems like they should be doing the opposite.
    Calipers are often off. Did they at least take the measurement from several places, or did they just take the measurement from one spot?

It's good to hear you you say that 52 isn't a reason to fall behind the curve.

Cheers!

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Calipers need 3 places to take 1. chest area between the nipple and armpit 2. abdominal region around 3/4 inch from belly button 3. Thigh fold is taken vertically mid way in the middle keeping bodyweight shifted to the opposite leg. So if you have a different guy/gal take it you will get more than one answer. As far as your % perhaps 16-18% and you are looking great at 52yrs! Better than most.

Gorsh, I didn't mean to generate this much interest, I just wanted to know my approximate bodyfat! Thanks for all the input.

Yeah, they took a bunch of measurements all over and it was hooked up to a computer. Weird thing was the 18% guy pinched so hard I was black and blue and the other guys clamped through my shirt loosely, so maybe that made a diff.

I've got a bit of a spare tire that annoys the heck out of me but I have lost about 1.5 inches off my waist the last few weeks, so I'm trying. I'm just trying to determine how bad it really is.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Gorsh, I didn't mean to generate this much interest, I just wanted to know my approximate bodyfat! Thanks for all the input.

Yeah, they took a bunch of measurements all over and it was hooked up to a computer. Weird thing was the 18% guy pinched so hard I was black and blue and the other guys clamped through my shirt loosely, so maybe that made a diff.

I've got a bit of a spare tire that annoys the heck out of me but I have lost about 1.5 inches off my waist the last few weeks, so I'm trying. I'm just trying to determine how bad it really is.
    Gotta watch the member picture area, it gets as many visitors as the steroid forum. One of two things happen in here, you look at one guy and its like ****, I aint never gonna look that good, I might as well hang it up now, buy a cane and check into the nursing home, then you look at someone elses who is either tubby, a toothpick or something wrong and you feel better again and think, **** If I hadnt been in the gym the last 3 years, I'd look like that...

I do hate to say it, I dont mean this in non-constructive way but man that pose that started this thread must have been the worst you could have made. It makes you look like you have no pec muscles at all and then the past thread, obviously you do... you dont even look like the same dude at all between those pics... have you laid off at the gym or was it just bad lighting, etc in the newer picture?

seanw is offline Banned
    Yep John I reckon around 16%. I had mine done the other day with a gadget you just put your stats in to and you just hang on to it. It measures the bodyfat by using sound waves. The guys at the gym tested it agains calipers and it was pretty similar. You look pretty close to me in the abs so 16% looks about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    I do hate to say it, I dont mean this in non-constructive way but man that pose that started this thread must have been the worst you could have made. It makes you look like you have no pec muscles at all and then the past thread, obviously you do... you dont even look like the same dude at all between those pics... have you laid off at the gym or was it just bad lighting, etc in the newer picture?
    Oh no, you mean that picture won't be on the cover of the next Flex magazine like I'd planned?? Durnit, you just broke my heart all to pieces...

Maraxus is offline Banned
    You look great for your age bro. I hope I look as good as you at 52 years old. 18%bf I think. Keep up the great work!

Thread Information