Thread: Help needed

Mick_540 is offline Junior Member

Help needed

Hi, I have been lifting weights sporadically for 15 years but have never really got huge or ripped. I do it because I like to feel strong, although I never really get super-strong and have never used steroids . My diet is terrible, mainly because of a lack of dedication to getting anywhere with my physique and ridiculous work commitments. However, I have gone from 75kg to 112kg (approx 250 lbs) in the past 15 years (at 6'3"). I must be in excess of 20% body fat

Can you guys make some suggestions as to which way I should approach my training. Should I start a cycle now to bulk up? Or should I go away and get lean before starting a cycle? I am certainly not happy with the way I look now, but I do enjoy weight training.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed-pic1.jpg   Help needed-pic2.jpg   Help needed-pic3.jpg   Help needed-pic4.jpg   Help needed-pic6.jpg  

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    i have a feeling u've just recently started going to a gym....going a few times a year within 15 year period does not say much....I'll be honest with u that u r completely out of shape and need to work on your exercise/weight lifting routines to see to what ur body responds the most and especially design a diet for yourself......u r just a lot of work in progress at this point and stay away from aas...

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    honestly, your arms and back look decent. legs are ok. i'm saying it from a point of view that you don't lift consistently. get your diet and workout plan in order, THEN start AAS. if you're gonna diet and workout half heartedly, you're gonna inject halfheartedly. but that's not the worst. you're gonna PCT half heartedly. dedication is essential here.

Guys, thanks for the honest opinions. In all honesty, I feel like crap (I guess I look like crap too). I got to do something about my body, desperately. I'm 37 with a 4 month old baby girl and I feel about 65 years old. I struggle even going for a walk due to knee and lower leg problems.

Can you guys point me to some articles on the Net that might help me come up with a training/diet program?

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_540
    My diet is terrible, mainly because of a lack of dedication to getting anywhere with my physique and ridiculous work commitments.
    Fix the diet and you will see amazing things happen. Doing a cycle now would be pointless with a $hitty diet. Honestly, if youve never looked at your diet really, you will get steroid -like effects if you perfect it.

Theres some sample diets in the diet forum that work great. Look around the workout forum for some workouts, put one together along with a diet and post it up for us to critique.

anabolicwannabe is offline Associate Member
    yup, there are many people here more than willing to share their input. look up the sample diets, then try to make some modifications of your own. if you're unsure how it looks, post it up. people will try to fix your diet if there's anything wrong with it. and now's not the time to go thinking "i look like crap". like i always say, it doesn't matter how you look now, it's whether you know how you wanna look in the future. and by this, it means absolute dedication. (well a cheat meal once in a while won't kill so don't screw yourself if you ever take one)

thickmass is offline Member
    Look, why not consult a trainer or dietician and clean up your act?

They will tailor it specifically for you. getting info from the net is all well and good but I dont see you sticking to it. You dont have a good track record of sticking to things from what you've told us.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Your desire to change MUST be greater than your desire to stay the same.

Only you know.

~SC~

thick one is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

Only you know.

~SC~
    couldn't have said it any better!

Rocket is offline Senior Member
    Eat right, Lift Heavy and often.How bad do you want it?????

Rocket

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_540
    Guys, thanks for the honest opinions. In all honesty, I feel like crap (I guess I look like crap too). I got to do something about my body, desperately. I'm 37 with a 4 month old baby girl and I feel about 65 years old. I struggle even going for a walk due to knee and lower leg problems.

Can you guys point me to some articles on the Net that might help me come up with a training/diet program?
    Well some of these other guys were a little bit mean to you, and sounds like they reinforced some bad feelings you have about your health. The reality is, I have seen much worst, in fact majority of men at 37 years old are in much worst shape then you are, you have a good frame to work on. Do a standard 3 to 4 day a week workout program, do arms/chest one day, legs another day, back/shoulders another day and 4th day is an hour walk on tredmill or around the neighborhood and within a few months you should be looking and feeling better, although to really get where we all want to be (muscular, lower BF, V-shape chest and back, etc) it takes 2 or 3 years.

Its generally advisable NOT to consider steroid use until you've had a consistent year and half minimum following the 4 day a week workout plan. Without the advanced prep, you can injur your muscles with disporportionate muscle development caused by the steroids .

Not only that, at your age, there has never been a better time to start getting serious about a workout program. Starting now can almost guarantee you will delay your future heart attack and stroke by 10 to 20 years, maybe more. Also its a way to recapture your youth, you look and feel like a younger man, with or without steroids, your sex drive will improve. Just simply doing regular workouts can cause your natural testosterone levels to triple in time, this makes you feel healthier and stronger.

As for the knee/legs... generally exercise will improve things but if you have swolen bursitis, etc... you have to lay off it until the swelling subsides. You can take fish oil and flax seed oil, these help dramatically by lubricating your knee joints and general exercise will at first hurt more but eventually cause healing that will make those pains go away.
    Last edited by Ntpadude; 10-16-2004 at 09:22 AM.

workdude is offline Senior Member
    make it happen bro. Good luck.

Thanks NTPADUDE, them nice words and the encouragement is appreciated.

My mission begins tomorrow. I am taking your advice re workouts, but will actually be doing one hour walking three days per week as I have dogs that I need to exercise regularly. My weights workout for the next 6 weeks will be split up like this (4 sets of each exercise):

TUESDAY
    Chest - flat barbell press
    - incline barbell press
    - flat dumbell flies

Triceps - barbell french curl
    - tricep pushdown

Biceps - barbell curl
    - seated dumbell curl

THURSDAY
    Quads - squats
    - leg presses
    - lunges

Hamstrings - leg curl
    - stiff legged deadlift

Calfs - standing calf raises

SATURDAY
    Shoulders - standing military press
    - lateral raises
    - seated dumbell press

Back - deadlifts
    - chinups (wide grip)
    - barbell or dumbell rows

Abs to be done once per week after walking.

I'm going to try it like this for 6 weeks and see how I go. Reps to be 6-10 per set. Feel free to critique that proposed workout structure, but I am going into this a beginner and I reckon the concentration on basic exercises seems consistent with what I have read. I am going to keep a record of strength increases to see what happens.

I urgently need help to get my diet right. There is too much info out there and it is all way too confusing and so many "diets" seem to contradict each other.

Until somebody tells me otherwise I am thinking 6 meals per day. Aiming for, around 300grams of protein in total (made up mainly of egg whites, chicken breast, tuna and whey protein - my family can't eat red meat because my wife has haemochromatosis), and somewhere around 3500 cal per day (carb sources mainly oatmeal, brown rice, pasta and potato etc). Vegies as well.

I'm cutting out all alcohol and junk food.

Anyway, wish me luck.

Thanks.

Its been just over a year since I posted the original photos at the top of this thread
    I didn't end up making a start with the training until 22 weeks ago.

26 weeks ago, I gave up the cigarettes.

22 weeks ago, I started cardio 5 days per week. About 6 weeks ago I upped this to 6-7 days per week.

For the past 4 weeks only I have been doing some weights (light) 3 days per week on a fairly simplistic split which I won't bore you with because I have not hit the weights hard. I have done ZERO weights on the legs, basically because I am scared that they will get so sore I won't be able to do the cardio for a week!!

Typical cardio day .... (never less than 45 minutes cardio)
    5 minutes bike
    10 minutes xtrainer
    10 minutes stepper
    29 minutes running at 12.5kmh on treadmill
    5 minutes stretch

or maybe one 50 minute intense hill-climbing spin session, or a 70 minute moderate spin session. Whatever. One week I might do spin 3 times in the week and just vary the other 3 or 4 days randomly, another I might concentrate on treadmill for 5 days straight (with some stepper and xtrainer). Some days I might concentrate on stepper and xtrainer.

All of the cardio is done at a very high intensity, and like I said, I vary it a lot.

I also walk briskly for minimum of 30 minutes 3x per week. If I decide to have a rest day, I make sure I walk that day.

26 weeks ago, I would have been tired after WALKING 30 minutes. Now I feel awesomely fit. Every day is something I look forward to. I bounce out of bed at 5.15am and hit the cardio at 5.45am (on an empty stomach). I feel like I could do a 10km run for the first time in my life. My energy levels have gone thru the roof. I never feel tired any more, my joint pain is GONE.

I also changed my diet in that I eat virtually no junk. I try to keep the protein up and carbs down. Lots of egg white, lean steak, chicken breast, fish etc. Carbs are typically rice, protein, wholemeal grain bread etc. The diet is not very scientific - portion control as per the dietician I visited. 5-6 small meals a day. No supplements whatsoever.

So my NEW photo shows I am still a mile off where I want to be in terms of how I look. Skinfolds a month ago were excellent for thighs, calves, triceps and biceps, but fairly crap on the abs (what abs?). Am getting skinfolds measured again tomorrow.

I am about to increase the weights, but want to keep hitting the cardio because right now, at 38 years of age, I have never felt this good!! Stress levels have been decreased at work - I made it clear to the bosses that I was no longer going to put work before family and my own health. They pay me good $$$$ but I would rather have my health and my family!

Anyway, feel free to flame me as much as you want. Like I said, I don't claim to look great, and I don't look anything like how I want to end up, but right now I feel like a 21 year old again. I am certainly no bodybuilder (note lack of any muscular development!!) and high bodyfat. No injuries yet, other than a slight neck problem that I blame on playing with my kid.

Oh yeah, obviously, I have stayed completely natural. My reason for posting this - because I remember when I posted the original pics here, some guys flamed me, but one guy encouraged me to get fit. I encourage anybody else who feels as fkn terrible as what I did 26 weeks ago to do something about it. I sat there for years, just getting worse. I wish I had have started this training years ago.

Flame away!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed-nov11.jpg  

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    Flame you nothing man thats not bad at all, good job man just keep hittin it hard and it'll all come together, for 38 i dont think u look bad, better than most id say. It's alla bout dedication and it looks like u figured everything out alright. It's crazy what being in better shape can do to your over all lifestyle. Keep us informed man lookin good

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

Only you know.

~SC~
    Agreed

testosterona is offline Anabolic Member
    nice job man, keep up the hard work. it deffinatly shows you have some dedication. quit the cigs too?!?! right on brotha. keep us posted

4 years later .....

Not big enough, not lean enough, but its a big change from that original post in 2004.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed-front.jpg   Help needed-front-bi.jpg   Help needed-side-chest.jpg   Help needed-side-right.jpg   Help needed-legs.jpg  

4 years later .... more photos

More shots ..... where to from here??? I want to stay lean but I need to put on much more size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed-back-double-biceps3.jpg   Help needed-free-1.jpg   Help needed-most-muscular2.jpg   Help needed-most-muscular4.jpg   Help needed-side-chest2.jpg  

manwitplans is offline Senior Member
    Damn man, talk about change...
    Thats some very nice dedication right there, you have made serious progress.
    You look really good, very lean and very muscular, very nice.

How old are you now?
    41? Thats incredible.

You look better then 99% of all the young guys, and probably 99,9% for the people your age.. Nice done.

beatango2008 is offline Senior Member
    Wow dude, Its really awesome that you put your mind to it and got it done.
    You look like a totally diff person, I wouldnt even know it was you if it was'nt for the tats. Great job man

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Unreal bro!!! Absolutely amzaing!!

(did you continue to stay natural the whole time? Regardless the dedication shows and the results are outstanding!)

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    i was not paying any attention to the original post date when i clicked on after the reading the first couple of comments i was thinking the opposite that yes you had alot of work to do but you did not look that bad in your first post main impression i got was that once you got your diet down you would look great after a few months or so but damn dude what a transformation great job and great dedication.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, what a transformation! Well done bro. You're doing us aussies proud

C-heavyweight is offline New Member
    Well, your training should fit your goals. From there you should dedicate your diet to achieving the goals that you are training for. So, find out what you want first.

C-heavyweight is offline New Member
    i would say that seeing these updated pics, you made your mind up and stuck with it. Great jobon the commitment. Congrads and keep up the work.

Diet was the key.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    Doubt the same bros are still here from 4+ years ago, but I'll speak on their behalf as well. You proved that absolutely anything is doable when you fully commit to it, Good Job bro!

mike954 is offline Member
    F u c k i n g awsome! Bro!!!

NBRD1808 is offline Associate Member
    awsome ttansformation bro the difference betwee the original pics you posted and the most recent are insane. congrats

Thread Information