HammerCurler is offline Associate Member

1 Month Progress

1 Month Progress Pics...Do you see any? Sorry i'm taking these by myself so it's hard to get into the same sort of position and distance from the camera.

This is 1 month training, 2 weeks of proper dieting. Will post pics another 3 or so months from now. Chhheeeeers.

Stats 1 month Ago: 180lbs bf % - no idea

Now: 175lbs, bf %, no idea (I cleaned up my diet to gain more muscle mass, but have lost 5lbs in a month?) See diet forum for my current diet.

All natural, no supps in the past month. Just food/whey. Oh ya, little or no ab work - that's why my stomach looks the same. No cardio either. Will wait to summer to cut up.

Left picture -today
    Right " - 1 month prior
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 Month Progress-feb1520059small.jpg   1 Month Progress-jan61.jpg  
    Last edited by HammerCurler; 02-15-2005 at 10:17 PM.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    You are bigger in the first photo. I don't know which is which so this is a non biased point of view.

Also, hit the chest. REAL HARD.

Yeah I know. My chest is definately a weak point, it seems to grow so much slower than Arms/Shoulders. I've been doing

4 Sets Incline Bench
    4 Sets Flat DB press
    4 Sets Flyes or Pec Deck

Should I be doing more sets? And of what? It feels like 3 exercises on chest day is not enough. Should I be hitting chest more than once a week?

Mon - Chest
    Tues- Legs (Swole's Protocol)
    Wed-Off
    Thurs-SHulders/Tri's
    Friday-Back/Bi
    Sat-off
    Sun-off or repeat

Try 3 sets incline dumbell press
    3 sets decline hammerstrength
    3 sets flat dumbell fly ( I usually put a slight incline on the bench to do that but you can do them flat too )
    3 sets dumbell pullovers across a bench

Try to load maximum on your last sets, 6 clean reps, 3 second negatives. Try to feel the stretch and the squeeze.

Leave your ego at the door when you enter the gym.

Also, diet. Don't f*ck your diet up the day you work chest or you'll lose what you did that day.

Also, I put dumbell pullovers in there to open up your rib cage. Will give you "thickness" if I could say.

Quote Originally Posted by ReX357
    Try 3 sets incline dumbell press
    3 sets decline hammerstrength
    3 sets flat dumbell fly ( I usually put a slight incline on the bench to do that but you can do them flat too )
    3 sets dumbell pullovers across a bench

Try to load maximum on your last sets, 6 clean reps, 3 second negatives. Try to feel the stretch and the squeeze.

Leave your ego at the door when you enter the gym.

Also, diet. Don't f*ck your diet up the day you work chest or you'll lose what you did that day.
    Thanks Rex,

What are decline hammerstrength? Searched google but couldn't find any pics.

gya321 is offline Member
    I believe hes talking about the decline hammer strength machine.

Quote Originally Posted by gya321
    ****, there isn't one of those at the gym I lift at.

Quote Originally Posted by gya321
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. This thing works your lower pec real good.

bronzebeefcake is offline Associate Member
    Lose the flys unless youre using them for stretch....Hit the chest hard and heavy with barbell flat or inclined presses as well as dumbell presses and weighted dips....

Quote Originally Posted by bronzebeefcake
    Lose the flys unless youre using them for stretch....Hit the chest hard and heavy with barbell flat or inclined presses as well as dumbell presses and weighted dips....
    I personally don't like to use dips for my chest. They work way better for the tris. Grip is not wide enough to hit the chest good IMO. Also, you can see is inner pec is lacking so I say don't lose the flies.

I personally don't like to use dips for my chest. They work way better for the tris. Grip is not wide enough to hit the chest good IMO. Also, you can see is inner pec is lacking so I say don't lose the flies.
    Weighted dips work great for me...Its all in the angle, try not to stay staright up that way the tris are not used as much and go deeeeep and avoid lock out....Also we have a dip bar that the grip with tapers so theres a nwider side to it.....

I hear you on the flies, but he need to add some volume to his chest over all....He doesnt need focus on one area of it but rather adding slabs of muscle to it.....The flies will come into play later....

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    I would tend to agree that incorportating some flies into the workout would be beneficial...

My chest day looks like this: (hopefully swole wont tear me up for how many sets i do )

Flat bench 4 sets, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Flat flies really stretching 12 10 8 6
    Incline bench, same rep scheme
    incline dumbell press same rep scheme

Then i go on to do skulls, french presses and dips (2 sets each)

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    I think i'm going to back off 4 sets so i only have 12, and start to incorporate more rest-pause reps, and static holds. I'll probably take out the incline barbell, as the inc. dumbell straps mass on my chest like no other!

O.fO.shO is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelxterminator
    I would tend to agree that incorportating some flies into the workout would be beneficial...

My chest day looks like this: (hopefully swole wont tear me up for how many sets i do )

Flat bench 4 sets, 12, 10, 8, 6
    Flat flies really stretching 12 10 8 6
    Incline bench, same rep scheme
    incline dumbell press same rep scheme

Then i go on to do skulls, french presses and dips (2 sets each)

I also agree . My chest happenes to be my strong point . And it got that way without a doubt from flies . But everyone is different i guess .

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzebeefcake
    I hear you on the flies, but he need to add some volume to his chest over all....He doesnt need focus on one area of it but rather adding slabs of muscle to it.....The flies will come into play later....
    Yup!

~SC~

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    1. Weighted dips are awesome for chest. Try leaning forward a little bit.
    2. There is no way to work your "inner" our "outter" chest, only upper and lower. I think he should drop the flies and focus on heavy, mass building motions... Incline dumbells, flat barbell bench, and weighted dips.

To the poster, consider slowing your movements down if you don't do this already. I see far too many guys bouncing, arching, not touching their chest with the bar, etc. Think 1 mississipi 2 as you lower the bar/dumbells. Using incorrect form may allow you to use more weight, but it certainly doesn't work your muscles.
    Last edited by Dude-Man; 02-16-2005 at 12:41 PM.

XxElitexX is offline Senior Member
    Chest lags a lil. Keep hitting it hard.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

How 'bout if I went

3 x Incline DB Press
    3 x Flat Bench
    3 x Dips (I use to do these when I worked out in High School and know how to do them properly to hit Chest instead of Tri's)
    3 x DB Fly's

Would that be too much? Should I just stick to the top 3? Thanks again guys.

My last chest workout I started doing very strict movements, bringing the bar/db's down slowly, really feeling the stretch, keeping my back against the bench, and then powering them up. (kinda of 3/2 tempo) I will continue to do this and hopefully see a change in 2-3 Months when I post my pics again.

What I like with flies is the stretch portion of the exercise. It's expands the fasciae and allows more growth. I personally always had problems with my chest and I think the flies helped me tremendously.

I say do whatever works. Try what people told you on here and see which exercises you feel the most then incorporate them in your routine.

TUnit is offline Associate Member
    Another thing you could try for your chest, i dont know what they are called but is to get on the cables and put it on the lowest height and keep your arms straight by your side and come up with your arms straight, palms facing the ceiling until your arms are parallel to the floor and squeeze as hard as possible. My friend just calls them sweeps but those always pump my chest up the most!

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    This is my current chest routine, and i hit it REAL hard. Ive NEVER had a better chest workout than the one i currently made. Check it out:

Dumbbell Presses (flat bench): 100lb dumbbells, to failure (normally 7-8 reps), 4 sets
    Inclined Bench Press: 230lbs, to failure, 3 sets
    Dumbbell Flyes: 50 lbs, FULL STRETCH, dont bring them together up top, keep about 1'6" apart to keep the stretch going, go to failure, 3 sets
    Dumbbell Pullovers: 80lb dumbbell, FULL STRETCH, to failure, 3 sets.

I feel absolutely amazing when im done......

Give it one day man, just try it out, lemme know what you think. Oh, and bring a spotter. Im sure you wont be able to do equivilant weight, but go real heavy, keep your reps in the 6-10 range, no more than 10. Itll hurt, but use the spotter to bust out 2 or 3 more reps when you feel like you wanna pass out.

And, of course, start super light if youve never done any of these before, and focus on form. This is my first time ever doing dumbbell pullovers, and i started with a 25lb dumbbell just to get the form down correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Hed
    This is my current chest routine, and i hit it REAL hard. Ive NEVER had a better chest workout than the one i currently made. Check it out:

Dumbbell Presses (flat bench): 100lb dumbbells, to failure (normally 7-8 reps), 4 sets
    Dumbbell Flyes: 50 lbs, FULL STRETCH, dont bring them together up top, keep about 1'6" apart to keep the stretch going, go to failure, 3 sets

Good routine there. Similar to what I do. Only difference is I use dumbells for the incline too.

Hed
    Hed is offline Senior Member
    Good routine there. Similar to what I do. Only difference is I use dumbells for the incline too.

Yea, inclined dumbbells were in my last routine, so i had to change it up to usin the bar.......

Bump for Hammer

I don't know for you but I always seem to get sore with that routine. I've been using that for 4-5 weeks now and I still feel the soreness the day after. Normally, after 3-4 weeks, even if I up the poundage I don't feel the soreness anymore...

Thanks for the routine. Looks great. I will give pullovers a try next chest day My routine was very similar to this, just without the pullovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hed

Give it one day man, just try it out, lemme know what you think. Oh, and bring a spotter. Im sure you wont be able to do equivilant weight, but go real heavy, keep your reps in the 6-10 range, no more than 10. Itll hurt, but use the spotter to bust out 2 or 3 more reps when you feel like you wanna pass out.

And, of course, start super light if youve never done any of these before, and focus on form. This is my first time ever doing dumbbell pullovers, and i started with a 25lb dumbbell just to get the form down correct.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Cant see a terrrible amount of difference in one month. This is true with anyone. Your pictures look sort of like, the one on right is cold after waking in the morning, the left picture is pumped up like you just been working out for the last hour...

Not only that but you look something like I have... your triceps are better developed and peaking out better then the biceps are... this is true with both pictures. I cant complain because I am getting the same thing, better development in the triceps then biceps.
    Last edited by Ntpadude; 02-17-2005 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Yup!

~SC~
    Sup big guy, so this is where you keep yourself nowdays....Hope things are well for you....

Quote Originally Posted by Ntpadude
    Cant see a terrrible amount of difference in one month. This is true with anyone. Your pictures look sort of like, the one on right is cold after waking in the morning, the left picture is pumped up like you just been working out for the last hour...

Not only that but you look something like I have... your triceps are better developed and peaking out better then the biceps are... this is true with both pictures. I cant complain because I am getting the same thing, better development in the triceps then biceps.
    Both pictures were taken at night with zero pump, both completely cold.

Thread Information