Thread: cut, then bulk?

chitownrookie is offline New Member

cut, then bulk?

Just wanted some opinions guys, I've been dieting with cardio 4x a week for about a week now. Is this enough to loose sufficient weight. Also, should I continue to cut, before bulking up? or bulk up to my goal, then focus on cutting. I'm just curious what you guys all think. I'm currently about 240 w/ about 20% bf, i want to be a solid 240 w/ about 12-15% bf, any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cut, then bulk?-im000591.jpg   cut, then bulk?-def.jpg  

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    how tall are you? 240 12% is pretty big imo

TCEL300 is offline Member
    before useing AAS most try to get BF% around 10-15%...i aim for around 12%...so i can put on lean muscle and try to avoid putting on more fat

Dalton5 is offline Associate Member
    I would think it would make sense to bulk then cut......whats the point of working so hard for a firm cut body if your just gonna cover it all up and then have to do it all over again?

six three and a half. i used to weigh about 280 as the stretch marks around my waist speak for that. i was fat and not muscular at all. My senior year i became obssessed w/ running, got down to 180 pounds, and looked like a skeleton. i had zero muscle. In the four years since then, I averaged out at about 225, since starting lifting last year, I've worked my way to the present weight. I don't think 240 12-15% is entirely unrealistic, maybe i'm wrong.

Zapp is offline Banned
    I would get the bf down before you started thinking about bulking. What kind of cardio are you doing, and for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton5
    I would think it would make sense to bulk then cut......whats the point of working so hard for a firm cut body if your just gonna cover it all up and then have to do it all over again?
    Yeah, I'm not sure, only because I'm not sure if it's easier to put on lean muscle if i got my bf down, and then work towards my goals, rather then pushing my weight up, and struggling to cut it off. I appreciate your input though. thanks!

Zapp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton5
    That's what it's all about. Can't stay lean all year round if you want to put on more muscle.

Haro3 is offline Anabolic Member
    no not at all for being 6'3" I would drop a little fat but i wouldnt worry about getting below 12%, then start bulkin, cuz like dalton5 said when you bulk odds are you'll put some fat back on which will be a little discouraging

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp
    I would get the bf down before you started thinking about bulking. What kind of cardio are you doing, and for how long?
    I've been doing 45 mins. on an eliptical, doing a cross country program, 4x a week. I try to keep my HR at about 170. Is this sufficient? (awesome physique btw, judging by your avatar)

Zapp is offline Banned
    Yeah....but I have never been a big fan of the eliptical machines though. I prefer the stairmaster.

I don't really like too much either, but my fat ass gets tired to quick on the treadmill, maybe I'll give the stairmaster a try. Thanks again.

Zapp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chitownrookie
    I don't really like too much either, but my fat ass gets tired to quick on the treadmill, maybe I'll give the stairmaster a try. Thanks again.
    Stick with it bro. The sm and a strict diet....can't beat it. Shed 30lbs in 11 weeks that way.

BuildaBeast is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chitownrookie
    I've been doing 45 mins. on an eliptical, doing a cross country program, 4x a week. I try to keep my HR at about 170. Is this sufficient? (awesome physique btw, judging by your avatar)
    HR @ 170 for 45 mins is this ideal for fat loss? I thought you should be in your target heart range?

Thread Information