RJstrong is offline Senior Member

1st timer... upper body shot.

here is a recent pic... I know no wheels, crappy lighting, another camera phone... hey it's my first pic give a brother a break...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st timer... upper body shot.-cid__12-23-05_2018.jpg  

FROST is offline Associate Member
    Lookin thick man, post up your stats (height, wegiht, squat, bench etc).

Brian

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    not to shabby man, how many cycles have ya done?

Quote Originally Posted by FROST
    Lookin thick man, post up your stats (height, wegiht, squat, bench etc).

Brian
    right on bro... thanx!
    just competed Dec. 4 APF Southern States Powerlifting Contest:
    squat: 865
    bench: 600
    Deadlift: 722
    weight: 240
    height: 5'10"
    people always tell me I don't look like a powerlifter... I normally take that as a compliment...

Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw
    not to shabby man, how many cycles have ya done?
    only one... started it about 10 years ago... J/K... honestly I couldn't tell ya...

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    u do look thick bro

FROST is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    right on bro... thanx!
    people always tell me I don't look like a powerlifter... I normally take that as a compliment...
    Thats ****ing crazy man, what does your chest and leg routines look like?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FROST
    Thats ****ing crazy man, what does your chest and leg routines look like?

Brian
    I use somewhat of a Westside Barbell template with some tweaks here and there... as a powerlifter I concentrate on the 3 lifts squat, bench, and deads... as far as chest I do a lot of board presses, close grips, floor presses, a combo of bands and chains, I do tons of volume with heavy weight and work speed at 50-65% if I feel like I'm overtrained... for squats I do box squats, belt squats, but mainly just squat heavy with high volume I also incorporate a lot of bands and chain work here... my working sets tend to be in the 1-3 rep range with the priority of putting on strength... this is a simplified break down and by no means is my training this basic... but this touches on some of my key points of training chest & squats... I am a firm believer in powerlifting as the best way to build the foundation.

timtim is offline Member
    nothing builds a strong physique like lifting really heavy. found this out first hand.

you have a great build.

Quote Originally Posted by timtim
    nothing builds a strong physique like lifting really heavy. found this out first hand.

you have a great build.
    thank you brother... and you and I agree totally hear you gotta lift big to get big... I think Ronnie Coleman said it best (it went something like this anyway) "everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift any heavy ass weight"

chest6 is offline Banned
    holy shit man!!! I thought you were gonna be some huge guy but with like 20% bf!! Wow was I wrong..you look like you could step on stage any second

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    holy shit man!!! I thought you were gonna be some huge guy but with like 20% bf!! Wow was I wrong..you look like you could step on stage any second
    I thought it may suprise some people here, I have always been lean... I usually suprise people when I compete... at my last meet Tony Conyers said to me "are you sure you are in the right place this is a powerlifting contest not a bodybuilding contest" I understand I don't fit the stereotype of a powerlifter but I just really love the sport... maybe someday you will see me on stage... key word there is "maybe"... I do appreciate the kind words though... and by the way good work yourself on your cutting phase!

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Excellent work man, goes to show hard work pays off.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I thought it may suprise some people here, I have always been lean... I usually suprise people when I compete... at my last meet Tony Conyers said to me "are you sure you are in the right place this is a powerlifting contest not a bodybuilding contest" I understand I don't fit the stereotype of a powerlifter but I just really love the sport... maybe someday you will see me on stage... key word there is "maybe"... I do appreciate the kind words though... and by the way good work yourself on your cutting phase!

well I for one Hate You.. hahaha J/k you freaking look great Bro!! Where most guy pushing those high numbers are packing a lot of BF you have both the lifts and the cut.. Good combo!!

Welcome to AR

Oldman

Quote Originally Posted by ImaGetBig
    Excellent work man, goes to show hard work pays off.
    thanx... they say nothing comes easy... whoever "they" are I will never know but "they" are right! a lot of years of blood sweat and tears!

Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    well I for one Hate You.. hahaha J/k you freaking look great Bro!! Where most guy pushing those high numbers are packing a lot of BF you have both the lifts and the cut.. Good combo!!

Welcome to AR

Oldman
    thank you... that means a lot!

chest6 is offline Banned
    damn man I cant get over how someone that freaking ripped up can push that much weight..I'll shutup dont wanna sound like a weirdo so jealous haha

damn man I cant get over how someone that freaking ripped up can push that much weight..I'll shutup dont wanna sound like a weirdo so jealous haha
    nah man you don't sound weird... I understand as I said before you aren't the first person to say that... It is rare to see a powerlifter that is lean... normally they are in the lighter weight classes... however the guy that beat me at the Southern states Dondell Blue is a beast and he is really lean too... he looks like he could take the stage if he wanted to... he totalled a 2325 my lifts totalled 2188... just to get an idea of how friggin' strong he is.

chest6 is offline Banned
    good god..well anything over 2k is outstanding..hell anything over 1800. Mine at my peak prolly topped out at 1500

timtim is offline Member
    i've used westside techniques (modified to my needs) and i realized that the low reps and heavy weight pack on the muscle density. after 1 year of powerlifting (after a decade of "bodybuilding") i made more gains than ever. since then i always work 3 week phases of really heavy lifting surrounded by higher rep phases. usually do 3 weeks of 5x5 follwoed by 3 weeks of 5x3. i end the heavy phase with 2 weeks of 1 rep sets. works every time.

i was at the gym last night and 2 fat guys were talking about how heavy they were lifting and such (and how they couldn't wait to start their cutting diets). they were making noise using the 120 db's for flat bench. i was laughing to myself when i noticed i was using the 115's for 5x5 and these guys who had at least 50 pounds and 8 inches on me were struggling with 5 pounds more. heavy lifting is the great equalizer!

*Alex* is offline Senior Member
    looking solid , whats your diet ? break it down for a brotha!

AnabolicAndre is offline Anabolic Member
    looking Awesome man, I've recently started more of a powerlifting routine... working wonders

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    wow im surprised at how lean you are dude, I remember seeing some of your lift stats before and assumed you'd be a fatty, but im extremely impressed, good going!

Quote Originally Posted by alex7674
    looking solid , whats your diet ? break it down for a brotha!
    nothing too fancy here... I typically zig-zag my calories eating more on training days (or very active days) as opposed to off days (lazy days)... I mainly watch my protein intake and keep it around 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight during my off season and I normally bump it up to 2-2.5 grams per pound when training for a contest. I always take in about 20-40 grams of protein with about 50 grams of carbs before and after a workout... I have always been lucky as far as staying lean... I eat clean most of the time but I never shy away from a good dessert... that's the beauty of powerlifting I suppose...
    Last edited by RJstrong; 12-28-2005 at 09:14 PM.

good god..well anything over 2k is outstanding..hell anything over 1800. Mine at my peak prolly topped out at 1500
    just stay on it... you may surprise yourself at how strong your body can become!

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicAndre
    looking Awesome man, I've recently started more of a powerlifting routine... working wonders
    powerlifting took my body to another level as well... stay with it... it only gets better!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    wow im surprised at how lean you are dude, I remember seeing some of your lift stats before and assumed you'd be a fatty, but im extremely impressed, good going!
    thanx... I figured I would get a lot of that...

Quote Originally Posted by timtim
    i've used westside techniques (modified to my needs) and i realized that the low reps and heavy weight pack on the muscle density. after 1 year of powerlifting (after a decade of "bodybuilding") i made more gains than ever. since then i always work 3 week phases of really heavy lifting surrounded by higher rep phases. usually do 3 weeks of 5x5 follwoed by 3 weeks of 5x3. i end the heavy phase with 2 weeks of 1 rep sets. works every time.

i was at the gym last night and 2 fat guys were talking about how heavy they were lifting and such (and how they couldn't wait to start their cutting diets). they were making noise using the 120 db's for flat bench. i was laughing to myself when i noticed i was using the 115's for 5x5 and these guys who had at least 50 pounds and 8 inches on me were struggling with 5 pounds more. heavy lifting is the great equalizer!
    looks good... solid game plan... and I agree it is a great equalizer... nothing feels better IMO then being strong!

Superballer is offline Associate Member
    RIPPED not to mention:
    5'10 240........ Impressive

ward065 is offline Member
    right on bro... thanx!
    man, those are some heavy lifts- how many reps can you do with each of those exercises at that amount of weight? Do you normally train with that much weight or just at a powerlifting competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Superballer
    RIPPED not to mention:
    5'10 240........ Impressive
    cool... I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    man, those are some heavy lifts- how many reps can you do with each of those exercises at that amount of weight? Do you normally train with that much weight or just at a powerlifting competition?

goalseeker is offline Anabolic Member
    600 bench....jesus....now thats a dream that I would, or ,WILL fulfil one day...man... unreal..thats awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by goalseeker
    600 bench....jesus....now thats a dream that I would, or ,WILL fulfil one day...man... unreal..thats awesome...
    thanx bro... it's been a long road but a worthwhile trip! you have the goal now go get it!

Seattle Junk is offline Anabolic Member
    Is this Ross?

vitor is offline Anabolic Member
    RJstrong-You look good, and your lifts are sick!
    What was your lifts when you first startet training?
    Any cycle expirience? What drugs do you use?

hardgainer12 is offline Senior Member
    Ya dude thats amazing!! I wanna put up 250 and here you are pushing 600!! Thats awesome!!! Good motivation!!

Quote Originally Posted by vitor
    RJstrong-You look good, and your lifts are sick!
    What was your lifts when you first startet training?
    Any cycle expirience? What drugs do you use?
    about 4 years ago pre-powerlifting squat: 550 bench: 405 deadlift: 525 as far as personal favs: test, tren , deca , dbol , abombs... and I'm about 2 1/2 months into gh for the 1st time... might as well add that to the list of favorites now...

Quote Originally Posted by hardgainer12
    Ya dude thats amazing!! I wanna put up 250 and here you are pushing 600!! Thats awesome!!! Good motivation!!
    it's all about short term goals and visualizing the big picture... if you train hard and passionately you may just surprise yourself in the long run... go get your 250 and then on to 300!

Thread Information