avion1971 is offline Junior Member

First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help

I am 34, 5 " 7 ', 185 lbs, not sure on body fat. I have been training consistently now for two years. I finished my first cycle (bulking) a month ago. 16 weeks test c and tren stack (500mg) week . Got up to 194 - great strength gains - moderate bloat (water). I have dropped 10 lbs and plan to take a cutting cycle in the spring. I am going to enter the middleweight - novice division in June. I plan on beginning my diet in Feb.

I have never competed and not sure if i am ready for my first show. I need everyones honest opinion. I am caring some fat ( as you can see) and hoping after dieting i will see definition and seperation. I feel that my good points are my traps, shoulders, chest and triceps. I feel that i need to improve my back, biceps, quads and hams. Im doing the show mainly for the experience ! like i said, only been training two years.

I would appreciate any advice you all have to offer. Thanks in advance !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help-im000032.jpg   First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help-im000040.jpg   First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help-im000037.jpg   First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help-im000039.jpg  

hardcorpcomp is offline New Member
    You have a solid base but I think that you might be overestimateing your final contest weight. You are carrying a lot of water in the picture and I am assuming that you are 185 in those photo's. If you were to be hard and lean on stage you would probably have to drop down to at least 160 if not a little more. At 5 11" this will look pretty stretched on your frame. If you are convinced on doing the show make sure that you come in lean and hard because in beginning shows conditioning is one of the biggest factors. It certainly would not be wasted time as it would be great experience and will get you fired up after the whole diet and show is over. I find that great gains can be had by going hard after a show and shocking your body with high calories and good water weight.
    You could certainly wait till you add a few more pounds to fill out your frame a bit more a try and come in at the top weight in the middleweight class.

Sorry bro I had it stuck in my head that you were 5 11". At 5 7" now would be as good of time as any to lean down and do a show. I would still think that a good target weight for you would be 155 to 160.

thanks

i appreciate your advice and honesty Hardcorpcomp. I have always heard to come in at the top of your weight class. i do hold water and fat around my lower abdominal area. any advice on improving those areas. additionally, should i start my precontest diet NOW ? thanks again for the advice.

come on people, i know you all have some pointers, advice, criticism or something... please let me know what you all think ....

thanks

getbig32 is offline Associate Member
    i like the legs and back ...and calves from what i can tell look solid but shoulders and chest...i would try to bring out . you have alittle time if your show is in june i would just hit those hard while you have time left bulking

T Bone06 is offline New Member
    Look pretty good. You definitely need to come in lean and hard. You may lack a little size but being lean and hard like hardcore said can compensate alot in a novice show. If you're 185 now, I doubt you'll be middleweight if you come in lean and hard. I agree you should probably be around 155 or so......... Good Luck

chest6 is offline Banned
    Im like you I hold fat/water in my lower ab area. Its very very difficult to get rid of and I havent fully gotten rid of it..even after cutting. Strict diet and cardio will help you out. You look good btw...160 should be the weight you shoot for.

thanks guys !

thanks guys for all of your input... i will shoot for 160.... seems to be a good weight for me this year.... i have never been below 9 -10 %.... i entered the EAS body for life contest last year locally and placed 1 rst in my age group ( 30 - 39)... this was my first experiance leaning down... the transformation took place in 90 days...

Take a look at my before and after pics.... i was around 170 on my final pics, so i agree with you guys on 160 because i wasnt as ripped as i would have liked to be... another month would have put me where i needed to be 3 -5 % body fat...

thanks again....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help-bfl2005-1-2-.jpg   First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help-blf-double.jpg  

forgot to ask... looking at the after pics above, what body fat % do you guys think i was at ?

Grudge Keeper is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avion1971
    forgot to ask... looking at the after pics above, what body fat % do you guys think i was at ?
    IMO I would say about 11% bf also aim to make that light weight class you dont want to be the smallest of the middle weight if your only afew lbs from the next class under.

chest6 is offline Banned
    11-12%

thanks to all.... i will find out Friday what weight class i will be in.... i cant imagine myself at 155 - 160...

i will look like a RUNT... maybe not .... will let you all know once i finalize a game plan... i have one in mind, but will wait until Friday...

i am meeting with a trainer who is a retired pro... he is going to get me in line for the show !

Quote Originally Posted by avion1971
    thanks to all.... i will find out Friday what weight class i will be in.... i cant imagine myself at 155 - 160...

i will look like a RUNT... maybe not .... will let you all know once i finalize a game plan... i have one in mind, but will wait until Friday...

i am meeting with a trainer who is a retired pro... he is going to get me in line for the show !
    you wont look like a runt,look at my before and after pics for a show I did I was 220 in the first and 189 in the second most people have more weight to lose to get in contest shape then they realize.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help-2005_0920image0016.jpg   First Show in June - Need Critiquing - Please Help-2005-iron-man-009.jpg  

impressive pics grudge !

the pics i sent earlier of " last year " were the lowest body fat i have ever been and i was around 10 or 11 %... i hope i achieve lower than 5 %... i cant wait to meet with this guy Friday....

there are so many diets, cardio plans, etc... i find my head spinning trying to find the right plan for me... all i know is that i HOLD WATER bad and need to get ripped for the show.... starting where i am now is much better than last year....

what do i need to improve the most Grudge ? shoulders, chest, arms EVERYTHING... lay it on me BRO..... also for a guy who doesnt have the genetic PEAK on the bicep, what is the most effective exercise for that...

right now i am working one body part a week ( lifting heavy ) chest, back, legs, shoulders... i think i have tendenidous in my left elbow, so i am hindered on my bicep work outs... going to try some meds to fix it....

I think you look pretty proportioned from your pics.I could give you a better idea if you posted pics of all the mandatory poses.I also had problems with my elbow it turned out to be epicondilitis (an inflammed tendon).I had to tone down my heavy back training go light on the few bicep exercises I could tolerate and also eliminate inc dumbbell press and dumbbell shoulder press because i believe the weight of the dumbells I was kicking up tp my shoulders was really aggravating the elbow.After about two months it was bout good as new.As far as holding water for some of us it will take untill you cutwater a day or so before the show to clear out the trouble areas.If you want send me a pm and I hope your elbow problem clears up soon.

Your body's balance seems fine. There isn't any muscle group on you that is really overpowering the other. Be prepared to get down into the 150's though, I believe that with diet, a proper water load, and INTELLIGENT use of diuretics, you would look best at a hard and full 155 pounds. I have seen a lot of friends enter shows way to heavy with water and extra fat because they are scared to look too small. Let me tell you with those bright lights if you are not incredibly lean you will look out of shape next to the guy who you outweigh by nearly 10 pounds.
    Last edited by hardcorpcomp; 01-21-2006 at 08:55 PM.

grudge and hardcorp... thanks for the persistance on this message board... you guys are great and i will deff follow up with pics as i get closer to the show...

thanks again !

Thread Information