Ms Figure is offline Retired Moderator
    Sounds like she going well.

First off I wouldn't be too concerned with the scale, " another 15Lbs" can be alittle off putting. What we are looking for is body compostion, how much of the body is fat and how much is lean muscle, so what you g/f wants to do is minimise fat and maximise lean muscle.

IMO when on a fatloss programme, CV should be completed first thing in the morning on a empty stomach. And OTC fatburner can be used halk an hour before the session to help speed the process up. I suggest she doesn't eat until 30-45 minutes after the session has ended to maximise fat burning.

IMO sessions of 30-45mins are better, 3-4 is fine. I personnally like to add variety to my CV and will cycle three peices of equipment within the session. I will complete different programme for each peice, i.e HIIT, Fat-Burning (50-60% of max), or Take my heart rate to 70-80% of maximum.

For a woman the maximum HR is calculated as 226-Age, E.g 226-26 = 200 therefore:

50% = 100BMP
    60% = 120BMP
    70% = 140BMP
    80% = 160BMP

Another thing, look at her diet is eat clean? is she eating small regular meals to increase her resting metabolic rate? Minimise carbs, and ensure the is enough protein to avoid/minimise muscle break-down.

I personnally train heavy, this maximises lean muscle gain. I train with a weight I can perform no more that 12 reps with, I aim to hit 8-12 reps. I do three sets and normally the last set will include force reps.

I believe a woman can train relatively heavy and still remain feminine, but will have the benefit of increasing lean mass, which will have the knock on affect of increases metabolic rate and fat-burning potential.

Hope that Helps!
    Ms Figure

The original jason Guest
    excellent advice and just wanted to say hello miss F also interested to know why you would wait 45mins after workout before eating thats a new one on me?? always willing to learn also ed about your g/f op i have had one tellher it was very very painfull post op but worthwhile I dont think I will ever have a 6 pack but i have a pretty flat stomach i had always wanted now dont expect miracles but its defo worthwhile doing. I went from about 330 fat to about 180 and my stomach was SAGGY to say the least i have some before and after pics if u r interested in lookin let me know u can see the scar to how it looks now its pretty good 3 years later hope that helps some

peace
    jason

hi jason

well i believe after a CV session the primary goal is to burn fat obviously after a weight training session i would eat as soon as the research shows that the body remains in an elevated state for 3 - 4 hrs so therefore you will continue to burn more calories then if you hadnt done the session!

The body is still utilising stored fat!
    Last edited by Ms Figure; 10-01-2001 at 12:35 PM.
    Ms Figure

The original jason Guest
    im no expert but iim pretty succesful with diets i would say the body would still turn catabolic if you dont replace your glycogen stores with some form of simple carbs after a workout but just know what works for me they are just my ideas I agree that after a weight sess i would intake simple carbs and high protein pretty quick but the time limit you are saying is cool anyway i would say no more than 45 mins after a workout to eat

peace
    jason

cool I think we agree.

I use this techinque when dieting for a comp. or training others for comp's. It helps to shed the stuborn areas. There is always the risk of the body entering a catabolic state, a greater worry for the natural trainee. I attempt to off set this with 5-15g of L-Glutamine straight after the CV session.

And Yes 45 minutes should be the maximum.

Ps thanks for my welcome Jason, you're rep preceed's you so always good to talk to someone knowledgeable

Love
    Last edited by Ms Figure; 10-01-2001 at 02:27 PM.
    Ms Figure

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I have a question for the women who have cycled re:diet while on gear

What ratio do you use for carbs/protein/fat?

Is there a standardized formula (differen't from men) based on bodywieght that is used to determine daily caloric intake?

What ratio do you use for carbs/protein/fat?

Last but not least..what suppliments would you say are an important part of your daily dietary regime?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

primodonna is offline Female Member
    Supplements...

5g glutamine when i wake up, 10g post-training 5g before bed
    2 g Vit C, 800iu Vit E, Gluc/Chondroitin, Zinc, Iron then a multi-vitamin on top of all that. MV's don't have enough C and E which I why I take them on their own....and 1T of flax seed oil/day

My ratio is ~50/30/20 pro/carbs/fat

There's no real science behind it for me. I get the ratio from figuring out what my numbers should be. Right now...I eat at least 350g/protein per day ~ 200g carbs/day the fat usually works out to be ~55g/day

I probably should be eating more carbs right now but I am a believer in efficient use of food rather than straight numbers...i.e. eating all of your carbs before a specific time of day when you need them...rather than splitting them up evenly...i'm pretty sure your body won't appreciate a baked potato at 9 p.m.

I haven't tried carb cycling while on but if anyone else has, I would like to hear your experiences.
    What happens here, stays here

Thanks Primo...we're just tweaking Berts' diet. I was definately planning on bumping her protein intake when she's on but I'm looking for ideas and practical experience as well.

Pete

I would go with the vitamin E as its a great antitoxant and also zinc and vitamin C zinc should be taken up to 3 times daily as Primo said! along with a multi vit!

Glutamine is also good 5-10g ED is fine.

My ratio is 50/40/10 carbs/protein/fat

which really needs to be split up evenly throughout the day! eating a balance of protein and carbs every 2/ 3 hours!

If you think your carbs give you your main source of energy!She need to make sure she is eating regularly high protein high carb low fat meals to maintain a positive nitrogen balance!

Pete you asked about calculations! Basic calculations for males are differ slightly to females! To work this out you need to work out RMR (resting metobolic rate)

FEMALE CALCULATIONS!

RMR = weight in kilos x A B or C = total Kcals

A = 10 - 18 yrs 12.2 + 746
    B = 18 - 30 yrs 14.7 + 496
    C = 31 - 60yrs 8.7 + 829

example:

55 x 8.7 + 829 = 1307.50 RMR (no. of calories needed to be consumed before doing any activity)

Depending on activity rate, we can work out the calories you need before you take workouts into consideration!

Sedentary RMR x 1.4
    Moderatly Active x 1.7
    Very Active x 2.0

So i am estimating for Bert she will be 1307.50 x 1.7 = 2222.75 but it is best to estimate you exercise calorie expenditure over a week then divide by 7 to get daily average!

It does depend how many hours a day she trains so 1hrs weight training can burn on average 350 cal, multiply this figure by the No of hrs spent training divide by 7 and add to the total above!

So for a female who trains on average 3 days per week with weights only!

2222.75 + 150 = 2372.75 this is no calories she needs to eat to maintain present bodyweight if you want to gain weight you add 500kcals if you want to lose weight you minus 500kcals

237 calories from fat divide by 9 gives the number of grams of fat each day 26g of fat (may want to up this a bit i tend to keep my body fat near contest weight all year round)

949 calories from protein divide by 4 gives 237g of protein per day

1186 calories from carbs divide by 4 gives the no. of grams of carbs each day 296g

Bert will have to adjust this i have only only estimated weight etc! You may want to print this out and have a play! Mail me if you need any more specific stuff! The diet needs to be clean and the balance quite good on or off a cycle!

Hope this helps!

Ms Figure

Excellent info....thanks...both of you.

Pete

primodonna is offline Female Member
    uhh...houston we have a problem

according to those numbers...i need to be eating ~3000 cals just to MAINTAIN where I am. I'm not eating close to that right now (300-400 less/day) and i've pretty much stayed the same for a while. 3500 cals/day to gain...hmmm...big mac anyone?

Ms Figure...again, great, great information. I'm going to have a pizza for dinner tonight (just kidding)

Now another ? for you...to what extent are carbs protein sparing in your opinion? i.e. if i were to up my carbs by 100/day...could i get by with eating a 'little' less protein?
    What happens here, stays here

Huston.....LOL

This method is pretty good, post your cal's if you like I may have not made everything, clear.

I should say that its is open to manipulation and there does come a point in your training life that such formula do fall by the way side, you come intune with you body and are able to judge near perfectly your Kcal intake.

I believe so, dropping protein slightly when increasing carbs. Also if I drop carbs if I increase protein.

And Big Mac's Ronnie swears by them! Roll on No 4!

Ms Figure

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Maybe good to have this in the female forum?

Shredz is offline Respected Member

Question not understanding this waiting 45 mins to eat

I have always read and been told to comsume weither it be eat or drink..perferably drink so it can be absorbed faster as soon as possible because you muscles are starving for glycogen...since they have been almost completely depleted..that is if you are working out like you are supposed too.

can you please explain why..always up for new theories.

Keep pumping work out later
    Shredz

Re-read dude its all explained

well i believe after a CV session the primary goal is to burn fat obviously after a weight training session i would eat as soon as the research shows that the body remains in an elevated state for 3 - 4 hrs so therefore you will continue to burn more calories then if you hadnt done the session!

ptbyjason Guest
    Ladies, if you would like this thread copied over there, let me know.

Yup.

scorpiebabie is offline Female Member
    wow. great advise Ms. f
    you cleared junk up for me... more than you know
    great post and everyone else, great input!

FitnessFanatic is offline Female Member
    great info ms.figure
    i always knew about the elevated state after weight training but not after a Cv session.
    first day and i already learned something
    Last edited by FitnessFanatic; 05-07-2005 at 09:02 AM.

I was wondering if losing weight is a good idea for ?

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Originally posted by SeXyLaSvEgAsChIc2003
    I was wondering if losing weight is a good idea for ?

Your profile states that you are 6'5" and 120lbs, so my short answer would be no.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

tdzzii72 is offline Associate Member

system admin is offline Owner

jlm52670 is offline Female Member
    I am new to this forum, just wondering what I should do to start a diet plan that will help me lose weight with an exercise program. I am a dancer, so I prefer to stay a little longer and leaner, right now I am about 5'9" and about 150. Please help out if you can! Thanks
    Jenna

Thread Information