Fitmomof3 is offline Female Member

Need some help breaking my plateau

Hi...I'm a newbie to this site...there's lots of great info. Some is a little confusing mainly because of the acronyms used.

Anyway, I'm 5'7" 160 lbs and in relatively good shape. Been working out now almost daily for the last 2 years. I've dropped alot of weight since I started working out (was 195 without the muscle mass) and gained good muscle mass. But I've hit a plateau...can't seem to break the 160 mark. I want to get to about 145-150 to really show off the muscle. Diet has been good, but not as clean as it could be, but pretty good.

Any suggestions?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    hay welcome to the view.......

sassy69 is offline ~Female Vet~
    Welcome to AR & congrats on your progress so far.

I think you just answered your own question -- DIET is KEY. Clean up your diet and be religious about stickign to it and you will break your plateau. If you haven't changed up your traininig regimen lately, also a good time to change that to shock your body into responding to new stresses. Also might want to jack up your cardio or add in some interval cardio (HIIT) to get past the hump.

These are the same things I do for competition prep - you don't have to go to the extreme of things like 8% bf, but the goal is the same -- I have to make significant changes in my bodyfat & weight and I don't have time to sit around at a plateau. Diet the major part. If you just clean up your diet you will probably get a couple lbs over that hump pretty quickly.

I'd also suggest you get your bodyfat measured so you know if you are losing bodyfat or muscle. Weight only tells you how much your muscle, fat & skeleton weigh. If you notice that your clothes are getting looser but your weight isnt' moving then you are losing bodyfat. If your only goal is to lose weight, you could be losing muscle while you are fixated on getting the scale to drop. You want ot make sure its bodyfat you are losing!
    hard work = hard bod

Fitmomof3 is offline Female Member
    Thanks Sassy69....oddly enough, my husband has been telling me the same regarding the cardio...I'm not a big fan of cardio, but I have kicked it up...starting doing spinning classes a couple of times a week and increased the levels on the elliptical when not spinning...and trying to actually jog on the treadmill rather than just walk fast.

I have been somewhat fixated on the scale...I think that I am losing the bodyfat because my clothes are looser than before despite my 'weight'.

Regarding the diet...any suggestions where to get some good meal plans? Many have just the amount of protein, carbs or fat, but not many good recipes. I love to cook so eating bland food just isn't for me.

Welcome

Thread Information