Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Learn1st
  • 1 Post By TheTaxMan
  • 1 Post By Strongblood

Thread: Ready for more

Learn1st is offline Female Member

Ready for more

Hello, I am a 34-year-old wife and mother of two children. I have been lifting regularly since June 2012. I have had injuries sidelined me for the past few months. I am finally able to get back to the gym regularly but find I am disheartened by the loss of strength and the fact that I can no longer squat or DL. I have 2 herniated disc in my lower back which greatly restrict my lifting ability.

I have many friends and family members who have been inspired by my ability to mold my body after pregnancy. I want to continue to inspire them and I want to possess the body that I know is mine for the taking but I find I now need support outside myself. I am hoping this community will help me adjust as I need, to inspire me to push where I can, and help me find the balance I need to continue to create the body I never thought I could have .

I have been looking into the possibility of steroids helping me strengthen the muscles around my herniated discs and recover the strength that I previously had, but I still have much to learn before I jump into the pool.

For now I will probably just be lurking and learning. I may contact some of you with questions, but I promise if you give me reading material for things that you believe I should look up to understand further I am more than willing to put the time in. I tend to become obsessive when there is something new I want to learn about.

And on that note I'm off to read the informative threats. I hope to get to know some of you and learn from many of you thank you for your time.

TheTaxMan is offline 100% BRITISH BEEF
    Great intro!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Older_and_wiser likes this.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Welcome.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Welcome to the forum

Thanks all, I appreciate the welcome.

Strongblood is offline Productive Member
    Welcome to the forum!

Vale91 is offline New Member
    Welcome here!

clarky. is offline MONITOR
    Welcome to the forum.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    welcome. i just had my first lower disc issue and very unhappy about that. i don't know if TB500 will help disc issue. I had run post RC surgery and it helped. have you spoken to a physical therapist?

Quote Originally Posted by Learn1st View Post
    Hello, I am a 34-year-old wife and mother of two children. I have been lifting regularly since June 2012. I have had injuries sidelined me for the past few months. I am finally able to get back to the gym regularly but find I am disheartened by the loss of strength and the fact that I can no longer squat or DL. I have 2 herniated disc in my lower back which greatly restrict my lifting ability.

I have many friends and family members who have been inspired by my ability to mold my body after pregnancy. I want to continue to inspire them and I want to possess the body that I know is mine for the taking but I find I now need support outside myself. I am hoping this community will help me adjust as I need, to inspire me to push where I can, and help me find the balance I need to continue to create the body I never thought I could have .

I have been looking into the possibility of steroids helping me strengthen the muscles around my herniated discs and recover the strength that I previously had, but I still have much to learn before I jump into the pool.

For now I will probably just be lurking and learning. I may contact some of you with questions, but I promise if you give me reading material for things that you believe I should look up to understand further I am more than willing to put the time in. I tend to become obsessive when there is something new I want to learn about.

And on that note I'm off to read the informative threats. I hope to get to know some of you and learn from many of you thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    welcome. i just had my first lower disc issue and very unhappy about that. i don't know if TB500 will help disc issue. I had run post RC surgery and it helped. have you spoken to a physical therapist?
    I think I need to find one that works more in the sports field. The one I go to just keeps saying... "You look great for a mom of 2, don't push your luck with heavy lifting" grrr

Im desperately trying to stay away from surgery.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Late to the party but welcome! You've come to the right place...

Hi Learn1st! My wife has bulging discs in her lower back that kept her out of the gym for a week last month.
    Lower back problems of this nature is one of the worst things that can happen to a person that loves to exercise. She too is trying everything to keep from having surgery. She saw a spine surgeon that gave her a series of 3 Steroid injections directly where the bulging discs were. But each time relief only lasted about a week at most.
    About 2 weeks ago she went to our primary care physician and he gave her 3 high dose shots of Decatron, Toridol, and another anti inflammatory. (I'll get the name) and told her to stay out of the gym for at least a week.
    It's been approximately 2 weeks now, she's back in the gym doing very light exercise but in very very little pain! And exercising on a reverse hyper machine that was suggested by a member. Hopefully she will continue to do alright. You may want to mention this to your doctor. Hopefully he can help you with the same medicine. Good luck!
    Learn1st likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongblood View Post
    Hi Learn1st! My wife has bulging discs in her lower back that kept her out of the gym for a week last month.
    Lower back problems of this nature is one of the worst things that can happen to a person that loves to exercise. She too is trying everything to keep from having surgery. She saw a spine surgeon that gave her a series of 3 Steroid injections directly where the bulging discs were. But each time relief only lasted about a week at most.
    About 2 weeks ago she went to our primary care physician and he gave her 3 high dose shots of Decatron, Toridol, and another anti inflammatory. (I'll get the name) and told her to stay out of the gym for at least a week.
    It's been approximately 2 weeks now, she's back in the gym doing very light exercise but in very very little pain! And exercising on a reverse hyper machine that was suggested by a member. Hopefully she will continue to do alright. You may want to mention this to your doctor. Hopefully he can help you with the same medicine. Good luck!
    Thank you

I am at the point where I have no pain in most everyday things and can do a body weight good morning if I truly focus on supporting the movement with my core and begin the contraction in my hams and gluts. I can't do any weight when I squat, even if it is Dumbbells held at my sides. I also find I can't sit in a leg press machine without putting strain on the disks.

I will ask about the shots. Do you think they will do it even if I don't have pain in daily activity other than in the gym?

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Learn1st View Post
    Thank you

I am at the point where I have no pain in most everyday things and can do a body weight good morning if I truly focus on supporting the movement with my core and begin the contraction in my hams and gluts. I can't do any weight when I squat, even if it is Dumbbells held at my sides. I also find I can't sit in a leg press machine without putting strain on the disks.

I will ask about the shots. Do you think they will do it even if I don't have pain in daily activity other than in the [B]gym?
    Learn1st,

I wouldn't believe them to help out in a situation where daily life isn't causing pain... But I'm sure if you word things right if wouldn't be a problem(like not telling them your lifting ATM)at least not heavily imo... just my .02

I've had over 10+ surgeries and have overcome death 2x and am now the biggest and best shape I've been in... I'm in chronic pain daily(need a total reverse joint replacement) broke all my L ribs, R scapula, shattered L heal, and a splenectomy as well as a tracheotomy, 2 chest tubes(both lungs collapsing), my RCs are torn in both shoulders and I have terrible ROM in my R arm... Also, my Father has had 5 back operations(one going thru his stomach to get to the back) he also just broke his neck(C1-7 is completely fused w/4 rods supporting his neck), every back surgery he had made it continually worse, he's now had 17 + discs either removed, or U-boltedin position... Yes they've made tremendous strides in back operations - but not enough for me to ever get one - all I ever saw was pain and more pain than before... Very few successful major surgeries you hear about!

Moral of story - you can do anything you put your mind to... I refuse to let those injuries define me but me re-defining myself! It's been a long road back and I'm grateful for everything I have and been able to accomplish thus far(but you know how we are, we want more... And so do I! - and I'm sure so do you! )

Best of luck and remember you can anything you set your mind on achieving!

45lb is offline Associate Member
    Welcome to the forum. Back injuries are so frustrating. Like Nach3 said, you will find a way to move forward. I hope it is with the least pain possible.

ojand is offline Junior Member
    welcome lady

Quote Originally Posted by Learn1st
    Thank you I am at the point where I have no pain in most everyday things and can do a body weight good morning if I truly focus on supporting the movement with my core and begin the contraction in my hams and gluts. I can't do any weight when I squat, even if it is Dumbbells held at my sides. I also find I can't sit in a leg press machine without putting strain on the disks. I will ask about the shots. Do you think they will do it even if I don't have pain in daily activity other than in the gym?
    Yes. Just tell him you have some severe pain in your lower back that's more than likely a bulging disc. He's gonna think you're about to hit him up for some pain pills. But tell him you are trying to avoid narcotic pain meds and surgery. Then ask if he could give you a good shot of Decatron and Toradol. He will gladly give you that. I'm sure of it! And it will help. But! Do not go back into the gym 2 days later feeling great and hurt yourself. Give yourself a little time to heal. Then would be a great time to start using a reverse hyper machine, to strengthen your muscles around those Vertebras and start the healing process. Good luck!

Thread Information