Logan13 is offline Banned

De Palma Iraq Flick Bombs

DE PALMA IRAQ FLICK BOMBS
    November 25, 2007 -- IT'S hard for Hollywood pacifists like Brian De Palma to capture the hearts and minds of America if Americans won't see their movies. While the public is staying away in droves from “Rendition," “Lions for Lambs" and “In the Valley of Elah," audiences are really avoiding “Redacted," De Palma's picture about US soldiers who rape a 14-year-old Iraqi girl, then kill her and her family.
    The message movie was produced by NBA Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who insisted on deleting grisly images of Iraqi war casualties from the montage at the film's end. Cuban offered to sell the film back to De Palma at cost, but the director was too smart to go for that deal.
    “Redacted" - which “could be the worst movie I've ever seen," said critic Michael Medved -took in just $25,628 in its opening weekend in 15 theaters, which means roughly 3,000 people saw it in the entire country. “This, despite an A-list director, a huge wave of publicity, high praise in the Times, The New Yorker, left-leaning sites like Salon, etc.
    A Joe Strummer documentary [of punk-rock band The Clash] playing in fewer theaters made more in its third week," e-mailed one cineaste. “Not even people who presumably agree with the movie's antiwar thesis made the effort to see it."

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    suprise suprise

eliteforce is offline Member
    Maybe the reason it's 'bombing' is because it was only shown in 15 Theaters..$25,628 is pretty good for only 15 theaters..the American media practices strict scensorship-in particular cable operators and the mafia that controls the film distribution..it can't be seen if no one is allowed to play it, if it were available for me i would go see it but i can't..we will have to wait until it comes out on video and order it online.. That Palestinian film 'Paradise Now' that won so many golden globes and academys or whatever..no-one saw that either..it wasn't playing anywhere because it was blocked from being distributed..not many people are gonna see it if it's only available mail order..thats how the information/propaganada control racket works..doesn't mean they are bad movies.

how many people would have seen that stupid bee movie if it were only in 15 screens?

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    Im not surprised that your eager to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteforce View Post
    Maybe the reason it's 'bombing' is because it was only shown in 15 Theaters..$25,628 is pretty good for only 15 theaters..the American media practices strict scensorship-in particular cable operators and the mafia that controls the film distribution..it can't be seen if no one is allowed to play it, if it were available for me i would go see it but i can't..we will have to wait until it comes out on video and order it online.. That Palestinian film 'Paradise Now' that won so many golden globes and academys or whatever..no-one saw that either..it wasn't playing anywhere because it was blocked from being distributed..not many people are gonna see it if it's only available mail order..thats how the information/propaganada control racket works..doesn't mean they are bad movies.

how many people would have seen that stupid bee movie if it were only in 15 screens?

Teabagger is offline Senior Member
    I heard there was an effort out front of the theatres to give the tickets away to homeless bums, so they could have somewhere in semi private to sleep, rest, and relieve themselves of bodily fluids and the bums wouldn't even take them...

You know E-Light....ah never mind....

Thread Information