eliteforce is offline Member

Exclamation Palins troopergate Issue

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26458400/

This sounds pretty serious, they even admit that they were trying to get this trooper fired for no other conceiveable issue than their custody battle with him, that would seem like a serious abuse of power..

Using her high position and power in government to get a state trooper fired; revenge for her sister who is estranged and has a custody dispute with him.

that sounds much worse than lying about a blow-job and that almost cost Clinton the presadency.

and on top of that it sounds really white-trashy Britney vs kfed kind of crap..not very becoming of a Vice-President; i'm surprised i havn't heard more about this in the mainstream media, I watch alot of news tv and first I heard of it was when Carlos posted it on the other thread in this forum, i had to search to get the msnbc article.

and mccain selected her anyways knowing that her camp has basically admitted to this? see bolded parts in the article.

Palin under ethics investigations in Alaska
    Firing of safety commissioner allegedly linked to divorce of governor’s sister

In naming her as his vice presidential running mate Friday, Sen. John McCain hailed Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as “someone who has fought against corruption.” But Palin is under two ethics investigations springing from accusations that she abused her office to pursue a personal grudge.

Palin has said she welcomes the investigations: “Hold me accountable.”

The investigations are reviewing the same accusation: that she dismissed the state’s top law enforcement official because of his refusal to fire a state trooper in a dispute that predated her election in 2006.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

When she dismissed Alaska Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan on July 11, Palin said she wanted to take the commission in a new direction.

A week later, Monegan told NBC affiliate KTUU of Anchorage that he thought it was likely that he had been dismissed because he resisted pressure from Palin’s staff and husband to fire the trooper, who was involved in a bitter custody battle with the governor’s sister after their divorce in 2005.

Last month, the state Legislature appointed an independent investigator to review whether the governor or her aides abused their power by pressuring Monegan to fire the trooper, a probe that the Democratic chairman of the state Senate Judiciary Committee said could lead to Palin’s impeachment. The outside investigator, a retired assistant district attorney in Anchorage, was directed to file his report by Oct. 31, four days before the presidential election.

Palin strongly denied the accusations and ordered her own investigation by the state Law Department.

In a July 31 interview with CNBC, Palin defended the dismissal of Monegan, saying, “It is a governor’s prerogative, a right, to fill that Cabinet with members whom she or he believes will do best for the people whom we are serving.”

Palin promised her full cooperation, saying she would answer any questions from lawmakers, media and the public.

Private dispute goes public
    The dispute goes back to 2005, when Palin was a private citizen. Palin’s sister, Molly McCann, was involved in a contentious divorce and custody battle with Michael Wooten, whom Palin had recommended for the troopers division when she was mayor of the city of Wasilla five years previously.
    KTUU reported that Wooten’s personnel file, which was released at his request, showed that Palin and her husband, Todd, filed an unspecified number of complaints against him during the custody case. Court documents included an e-mail that Sarah Palin sent as a private citizen to the director of the troopers division in August 2005, accusing Wooten of drinking in his patrol car, “illegal hunting techniques,” firing a Taser at his young stepson and threatening to kill her father.

Both Palins were interviewed by state troopers as part of an internal investigation, which dismissed many of the complaints. Wooten was, however, suspended for 10 days for shooting a moose and using the Taser on his stepson, a suspension that Monegan later reduced to five days.

Wooten remains a state trooper, and the matter never came to wide public attention until last month, when Monegan accused Palin’s husband and gubernatorial staff of having leaned on him to fire the trooper.

Click for related content
    Vote: What do you think of McCain's choice?

Husband acknowledges one conversation
    In interviews last month with KTUU, Monegan said Todd Palin pressured him numerous times to fire Wooten, but Todd Palin said they had had only one discussion.

“I met with Commissioner Monegan, showed him some information about Wooten and left it at that,” Todd Palin said.

Then, on Aug. 13, Sarah Palin called a news conference to acknowledge that the Law Department investigation had found that 14 members of her administration made more than 20 calls to Monegan and other public safety officials regarding Wooten since she became governor in 2006.

Among the evidence was an audiotape of a telephone call in February to a state troopers lieutenant by Frank Bailey, Palin’s director of boards and commissions. In the tape, Bailey says the Palins are puzzled why Wooten remained on the job.

“Todd and Sarah are scratching their heads, why on Earth hasn’t — why is this guy still representing the department?” Bailey said on the tape.

Palin called the tape a “smoking gun” and said she recognized that “I do now have to tell Alaskans that such pressure could have been perceived to exist.” But she said she never knew of the apparent pressure until this month as part of the Law Department inquiry.

“I have only now become aware of it,” Palin said.

Bailey was placed on administrative leave last week pending the full results of the investigation.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There's a member here called Mr T that i believe posted a video link of that phone conversation. Despite Palin denying everything, 88% of Alaskan people stated in a poll that they believed she was LYING.

There are so many reasons why this woman is completely wrong to help run America. In theory Obama should win hands down soley based on how shitty Sarah Palin is.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    what about shitty biden?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ever41 View Post
    what about shitty biden?
    What about him? What makes him shitty? The fact, that like McCain, he supported anti-steroid legislation? I don't think that is nearly the same as abuse of power.

thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis
    Well, in comparison, Palin's abuse of power by firing somone as compared to the abuses of Bush and Cheyney are not that great. Let the mud slinging fest begin. Ya know what, as far as talking about these candidates religious views, their kids, their ethnicity, and all that other shit. Do you people realise that if it were a job interview it would be illegal to even discuss those things or ask those questions?

I think it should be no different for the job of POTUS and VPOTUS. What are your qualifications? What are your credentials? and What is your platform/policies? End of story.

^^^that's how it should be godfather but unfortunately that isn't the way it is!

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    ^^^that's how it should be godfather but unfortunately that isn't the way it is!
    Thats a piece of Democratic legislation I actually support...

wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    ^^ should religious views really be out of scope for what's discussed in a presidential/vice-presidential candidate? the fact remains that the next president will nominate several supreme court bench appointees. they could render decisions which based on their interpretations of the law (which are informed by their own religious beliefs) could overturn fundamental law such as roe v. wade. if there were complete separation of church and state i'd agree with you, but i don't think you can argue that there is. as long as politicians allow their religious convictions to drive their political choices, how can you ignore their religious views? i completely agree it shouldn't be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Well, in comparison, Palin's abuse of power by firing somone as compared to the abuses of Bush and Cheyney are not that great.
    So it doesn't bother you that when given a little bit of power, she abused it for personnal reasons right away? You are comfortable that she won't do it again when she is given what is essencially the second most powerfull job on the planet?

Do you people realise that if it were a job interview it would be illegal to even discuss those things or ask those questions?

I think it should be no different for the job of POTUS and VPOTUS.
    In theory thats all fine, but in reality you can't even get a simple police officer job or a high clearance military job without a thorough investigation of all aspects of your background, beliefs and family.

When it comes to the 2 most powerfull and important jobs on the planet, I think the voters need to know everything about the candidates... and I mean everything. The job is too important to hide behind privacy concerns, and Americans deserve the best candidate.

Just my 2 cents.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup View Post
    So it doesn't bother you that when given a little bit of power, she abused it for personnal reasons right away? You are comfortable that she won't do it again when she is given what is essencially the second most powerfull job on the planet?

In theory thats all fine, but in reality you can't even get a simple police officer job or a high clearance military job without a thorough investigation of all aspects of your background, beliefs and family.

When it comes to the 2 most powerfull and important jobs on the planet, I think the voters need to know everything about the candidates... and I mean everything. The job is too important to hide behind privacy concerns, and Americans deserve the best candidate.

Just my 2 cents.

Red
    It certainly does bother me, all instances of corruption for that matter. I was just pointing out in comparison her elders have done far worse. Its probably safe to assume if she abused power at the state governance level, she would be more inclined to do it at the federal level. Just the little bit of power in Alaska and she's corrupted, you all know what they say about power.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    I think it should be no different for the job of POTUS and VPOTUS. What are your qualifications? What are your credentials? and What is your platform/policies? End of story.
    Few Republicans would agree, as we've seen in their relentless efforts to investigate Bill Clinton's extramarital affairs, and use them as a reason for impeachment.

What about him? What makes him shitty? The fact, that like McCain, he supported anti-steroid legislation? I don't think that is nearly the same as abuse of power.
    i talking in the scheme of politics he was a shitty pick ( running your campaign on change and your vp pick been in dc for 30-35 years ). i am saying in the world of politics that palin was the best pick and will help maccain biden will do nothing except pull obama down.

[QUOTE=eliteforce;4180624]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26458400/

This sounds pretty serious, they even admit that they were trying to get this trooper fired for no other conceiveable issue than their custody battle with him, that would seem like a serious abuse of power..

Using her high position and power in government to get a state trooper fired; revenge for her sister who is estranged and has a custody dispute with him.

that sounds much worse than lying about a blow-job and that almost cost Clinton the presadency.

and on top of that it sounds really white-trashy Britney vs kfed kind of crap..not very becoming of a Vice-President; i'm surprised i havn't heard more about this in the mainstream media, I watch alot of news tv and first I heard of it was when Carlos posted it on the other thread in this forum, i had to search to get the msnbc article.

and mccain selected her anyways knowing that her camp has basically admitted to this? see bolded parts in the article.

Palin under ethics investigations in Alaska
    Firing of safety commissioner allegedly linked to divorce of governor’s sister

In naming her as his vice presidential running mate Friday, Sen. John McCain hailed Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as “someone who has fought against corruption.” But Palin is under two ethics investigations springing from accusations that she abused her office to pursue a personal grudge.

Palin has said she welcomes the investigations: “Hold me accountable.”

The investigations are reviewing the same accusation: that she dismissed the state’s top law enforcement official because of his refusal to fire a state trooper in a dispute that predated her election in 2006.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement

When she dismissed Alaska Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan on July 11, Palin said she wanted to take the commission in a new direction.

A week later, Monegan told NBC affiliate KTUU of Anchorage that he thought it was likely that he had been dismissed because he resisted pressure from Palin’s staff and husband to fire the trooper, who was involved in a bitter custody battle with the governor’s sister after their divorce in 2005.

Last month, the state Legislature appointed an independent investigator to review whether the governor or her aides abused their power by pressuring Monegan to fire the trooper, a probe that the Democratic chairman of the state Senate Judiciary Committee said could lead to Palin’s impeachment. The outside investigator, a retired assistant district attorney in Anchorage, was directed to file his report by Oct. 31, four days before the presidential election.

Palin strongly denied the accusations and ordered her own investigation by the state Law Department.

In a July 31 interview with CNBC, Palin defended the dismissal of Monegan, saying, “It is a governor’s prerogative, a right, to fill that Cabinet with members whom she or he believes will do best for the people whom we are serving.”

Palin promised her full cooperation, saying she would answer any questions from lawmakers, media and the public.

Private dispute goes public
    The dispute goes back to 2005, when Palin was a private citizen. Palin’s sister, Molly McCann, was involved in a contentious divorce and custody battle with Michael Wooten, whom Palin had recommended for the troopers division when she was mayor of the city of Wasilla five years previously.
    KTUU reported that Wooten’s personnel file, which was released at his request, showed that Palin and her husband, Todd, filed an unspecified number of complaints against him during the custody case. Court documents included an e-mail that Sarah Palin sent as a private citizen to the director of the troopers division in August 2005, accusing Wooten of drinking in his patrol car, “illegal hunting techniques,” firing a Taser at his young stepson and threatening to kill her father.

Both Palins were interviewed by state troopers as part of an internal investigation, which dismissed many of the complaints. Wooten was, however, suspended for 10 days for shooting a moose and using the Taser on his stepson, a suspension that Monegan later reduced to five days.

Wooten remains a state trooper, and the matter never came to wide public attention until last month, when Monegan accused Palin’s husband and gubernatorial staff of having leaned on him to fire the trooper.

Click for related content
    Vote: What do you think of McCain's choice?

Husband acknowledges one conversation
    In interviews last month with KTUU, Monegan said Todd Palin pressured him numerous times to fire Wooten, but Todd Palin said they had had only one discussion.

“I met with Commissioner Monegan, showed him some information about Wooten and left it at that,” Todd Palin said.

Then, on Aug. 13, Sarah Palin called a news conference to acknowledge that the Law Department investigation had found that 14 members of her administration made more than 20 calls to Monegan and other public safety officials regarding Wooten since she became governor in 2006.

Among the evidence was an audiotape of a telephone call in February to a state troopers lieutenant by Frank Bailey, Palin’s director of boards and commissions. In the tape, Bailey says the Palins are puzzled why Wooten remained on the job.

“Todd and Sarah are scratching their heads, why on Earth hasn’t — why is this guy still representing the department?” Bailey said on the tape.

Palin called the tape a “smoking gun” and said she recognized that “I do now have to tell Alaskans that such pressure could have been perceived to exist.” But she said she never knew of the apparent pressure until this month as part of the Law Department inquiry.

“I have only now become aware of it,” Palin said.

Bailey was placed on administrative leave last week pending the full results of the investigation.

i have missed the findings of the investigation what were the conclusions?

>i have missed the findings of the investigation what were the conclusions?

There is a report coming out in early october..we'll see what the response to that is..

situation looks pretty obvious, her claim that she didn't know everyone around her was trying to get a state trooper fired are ridiculous, and her husband is directly implicated, he admitted to meeting with Monegan and "showing him information about wooten, obviously negative 'information' .. so now we're supposed to believe he keeps secrets like that from his wife?

Oh so the final results of the investigation will be presented in october i see.

They were originally set to be released just several days before the election, but they moved the date up a few weeks after mccain selected her to run for VP to avoid an october surprise.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    I agree with this part of the discussion...HOWEVER if someone put McCain's resume next to Obama's whom do you suppose would get the job?

Okay McCain's been around longer. Fair arguement.

Put McCain's resume next to Obama's at the same again and I believe he still trumps Obama.

Obama is a smart guy, no doubt. But his national exposure is largely a creation of Democrats.

electing a president is not about a 'resume' -that is such bs, this is not a technocratic position and the president is not an operations manager, in the govt they have professionals in those firelds for all that crap, it's just about having a general vision as to where to take the government, like out of iraq and cutting certain projects; using the money elsewhere and tax policy..any senator or governor can be president..

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Wow...technocratic...that is pretty out there. I love that you took my statement and went all the way to technocractic with it. Too much Star Trek maybe????

I think most would agree that diplomacy is a pretty important skill for any US President. I think it quite clear McCain history of domestic and foreign dimplomacy is much more extensive than Obama's.

Everyone has a vision. Implement a vision is a much bigger issue...an issue someone with a discernable track record of doing such would be necessary. Thus leading back to a resume. What have you done? Idle promises mean nothing.

^^what is the definition of stupidy? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result/outcome.

That's the exerperience John McCain brings...more of the same as Bush/Cheney. So if you want experience that leads us don the wrong road...again...so be it.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Stupidy? Don't know the definition of that...

Down the wrong road? Why is it wrong? You want to blame the economy of the President? That is a terrible implication and against simple econimocs. The economy is cyclical. Meaning bad or good things happen in cycles. Our economy ebbs the same as the tide! Some things are created and some are just part of the economic cycle.

I'm sure you don't know that revenue under the Bush Administration is up 20% from the Clinton era. 20%!

His policies worked. You have to bear in mind the catastrophes the country went through (natural and mand made) while he was president. yet he kept the country and economy flowing. Clinton left a lot of loss strings from his administration.

Besides this I don't think McCain is a Bush clone. Which is excatly why the ultra right conservatives are not very fond of him.

What's more I would rather know the battles the country faces in McCain then jump into the great unknown with Obama. This 'change' he touts may not be a change the country would like to see.

One definition of stupidity is thinking the word 'technocrat' has something to do with startrek, or that the economy is currently 'flowing'. McCain might have an extensive foreign policy resume, but he's handicapped by being a republican. Most world leaders, especially the ones in Europe and the ME, are not interested in rapprochement with a republican administration, it will be the same deadlock on world issues with a stagnating american position. His foreign policy is exactly like Bush, when people say he is less "right-wing" thats mostly on domestic/social issues.
    Last edited by eliteforce; 09-10-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Thread Information