ptbyjason Guest

Plane crash in Queens

Maybe just be paranoid, as we all probably are. There was a plane crash in Queens, NY. Don't know the reason, but this is never a good thing.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i just read that. they say it wasn't related. it was an engine problem. this shit is never gonna stop. we need to just get a bullet train system going nationwide and ground all the planes

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    I've been watching this all day and I don't really think it was an engine problem. Engines don't detach themselfs from planes to often, and even if it did why would that piolet put that plane down in a populated area in Queens when he could have put the plane down in the water?? I think our goverment is keeping things from us...Not just this most recent incident....

M

my g/f's friend's house got hit. his mom and sister got out but they can't find his dad. how shitty is that?

ptbyjason Guest
    Keep us updated man. I hate to hear stuff like that, but I hope he is ok.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I doubt it was engine failure... espeically because the UN meeting was in the city today.

i just found out that his dad is dead. he just left school and went home. but his house is ruined. it's nto even standing....

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    Sorry to hear that Dane...

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    Dane my heart goes out to you and His family

nymattyk is offline Member
    Dane, im sorry to hear that bro. some crazy shit goin on in ny these days

my g/f's whole sorority is a mess right now. he's a really cool kid and everybody liked him. he left school and went home, but it's not there anymore. his mom, sister and him are staying at his aunts house. what are the odds of a plane falling on you while you're sleeping? poor kid.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Sorry Dane, thats gotta be pretty rough on everybody.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    If this was a terrorist act and the government could cover it up, do you thing they would? Think of how this could hurt an already struggling airline industry. There has got to be a lot of information that it covered up for the sake of the economy. And that being said, they might cover stuff up to prevent further panic.

This is in no way an anti-Amercan government opinion. I hope everybody can understand why somebody might wonder if there's another story to all of this.

primodonna is offline Female Member
    dane- i am sorry to hear that...ditto what pureanger said
    What happens here, stays here

nymattyk is offline Member
    Originally posted by EXCESS
    If this was a terrorist act and the government could cover it up, do you thing they would? Think of how this could hurt an already struggling airline industry. There has got to be a lot of information that it covered up for the sake of the economy. And that being said, they might cover stuff up to prevent further panic.

This is in no way an anti-Amercan government opinion. I hope everybody can understand why somebody might wonder if there's another story to all of this.
    i dont think this was a terrorist attack. personally i think it was a shitty coincedence that it happened when and where it did. however, the media makes it seem like terrorism had something to do with it by the way they broadcast their reports on it. i think if it was terrorism we would know about it, i dont think they would keep this from us, at least i hope not

who's gonna crash a plane into a bunch of houses? it was just a shitty coincidence and one more thing for that city to deal with. it's like a battlefield in the city

ptbyjason Guest
    Investigator: Tail fin broke free first, but pilots probably unaware

By LARRY NEUMEISTER
    The Associated Press
    11/15/01 3:44 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The pilots of American Airlines Flight 587, in trying to right the doomed plane in the minutes after takeoff, were probably unaware its tail fin had broken off, a federal investigator said Thursday.

"They don't know what's going on," George Black Jr., a member of the National Transportation Safety Board, said in an interview with The Associated Press. "They don't have a rearview mirror. They have no idea they've lost a tail."

Black said investigators "almost certainly think" the tail was the first part to break off the plane. Both engines also broke off as the plane went down three minutes after takeoff Monday from Kennedy International Airport, killing 260 people aboard and five more in the Queens neighborhood where it crashed.

The use of composite materials in the tail and turbulence from another jet are two major factors that could have caused the tail assembly to break free, investigators said.

While cautioning that investigators are not ready to rule out sabotage, he said, "this tail doesn't appear to have been sabotaged in any way."

A recording from one of the plane's two black boxes showed that the plane's co-pilot called for maximum power about two minutes after takeoff. Seconds earlier, a pair of rattling noises was heard in the cockpit; seconds later, the pilots indicated they were losing control of the Airbus A300.

"When they start talking about max power ... they've gone into recovery mode," Black said. "And they might be recovering from the wrong thing, because they don't know" about the missing tail.

The voice recording ended just 19 seconds after the call for maximum power.

With much of its work on the ground done, the NTSB planned to shut down its main investigation in New York by Saturday and return to Washington, Black said.

The pace of the investigation was extraordinarily rapid, with both black boxes recovered within 24 hours and most of the plane's major parts located quickly. But a final determination on the cause could still be a year off, investigators cautioned.

On Thursday, large portions of shattered wreckage were pulled from the neighborhood where Flight 587 plunged to earth. Several investigators moved about the area in the Rockaways section of Queens, where 11 homes were damaged after the doomed flight began shedding parts and nosedived.

A huge crane was in place, picking up chunks of the fuselage and landing gear as workers with pitchforks and rakes moved methodically through the smaller piles of rubble.

Mayor Rudolph Giuliani announced plans for a Sunday memorial service to unite the two neighborhoods affected most by the plane crash: the Rockaways, and the heavily Dominican neighborhood of Washington Heights in Manhattan. Specifics were not announced.

Investigators were focused on what caused the tail assembly to shear off cleanly before the crash. The flight was on its way to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.

A Federal Aviation Administration expert on composites -- a graphite-like substance used with other materials for major structural parts in commercial jetliners -- flew in from Seattle to inspect the tail, Black said.

A second possibility was that Flight 587 was caught in the wake of a Japan Airlines jumbo jet, with the powerful turbulence from the 800,000-pound craft rattling the smaller plane.

The tail assembly includes a tail fin and rudder; without those parts, the jetliner would have suffered a loss of stability and turning control.

American Airlines volunteered to do a sample inspection of its Airbus A300 fleet to ensure there are no problems with other tail assemblies.

"We understand that American Airlines is inspecting their fleet as a very precautionary measure," said a spokeswoman for Airbus in Toulouse, France. "We do not yet know what went wrong."

The FAA planned to require fleetwide inspections of Airbus A300 planes as soon as Thursday, focusing on the tail. Ninety planes would be covered by the FAA's order. Three U.S. airlines -- American and cargo carriers FedEx and United Parcel Service -- fly the European-built plane.

The airline has also changed the flight number from 587 to 619. The flight from Kennedy to the Dominican Republic was so well known among Dominicans that it was referenced in a popular song, "El Avion (The Plane)."

------

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    I really think aviation safety needs to be examined, there are too many flights the system is being pushed to the limit.

Thread Information