Thread: A Soldiers Poem

INTIMID8OR3 is offline New Member

A Soldiers Poem

'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS, HE LIVED ALL ALONE, IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF PLASTER AND STONE. I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE, AND TO SEE JUST WHO IN THIS HOME DID LIVE. I LOOKED ALL ABOUT, A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE, NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS, NOT EVEN A TREE. NO STOCKING BY THE MANTLE, JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND, ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES OF FAR DISTANT LANDS. WITH MEDALS AND BADGES, AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,A SOBER THOUGHT CAME THROUGH MY MIND. FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT, IT WAS DARK AND DREARY, I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY. THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING, SILENT, ALONE, CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME. THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE, THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER, NOT HOW I PICTURED A UNITED STATES SOLDIER. WAS THIS THE HERO OF WHOM I'D JUST READ? CURLED UP ON A PONCHO, THE FLOOR FOR A BED? I REALIZED THE FAMILIES THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT, OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT. SOON ROUND THE WORLD, THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY, AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY. THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR, BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS, LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE. I COULDN'T HELP WONDER HOW MANY LAY ALONE, ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME. THE VERY THOUGHT BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE, I DROPPED TO MY KNEES AND STARTED TO CRY. THE SOLDIER AWAKENED AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE, "SANTA DON'T CRY, THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE; I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM, I DON'T ASK FOR MORE, MY LIFE IS MY GOD, MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS." THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP, I COULDN'T CONTROL IT, I CONTINUED TO WEEP. I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS, SO SILENT AND STILL AND WE BOTH SHIVERED FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL. I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT, THIS GUARDIAN OF FREEDOM SO WILLING TO FIGHT. THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER, WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE WHISPERED, "CARRY ON SANTA , IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE." ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH, AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT. "MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND, AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT." This poem was written by a Marine stationed in Okinawa Japan. Make us think about how important all the armed services are to us and our country. Happy Thanksgiving to all. I THOUGHT THE BOARD WOULD ENJOY THIS
    Last edited by INTIMID8OR3; 12-13-2005 at 05:23 PM.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    great post. brings a tear to my eye to think all the people that had to be without thier families on thanksgiving.

Thanks ,i don't mind to say i shed a few tears myself.

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    This is the best I have ever read Last year somone printed it out for me and framed it for me I have it in my "war room"

StrongChick is offline Female Member
    Hi John! Good one! I promise I'll leave the copywrights to you! lol

THANKS YOU CAN HAVE THEM

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    That soldier was me last year in Lebanon. Missing my wife and two little children like hell.
    I had that posted to me by a member on elitefitness.com at the time.

Bouncer

I for one would like to say congrats for what you do for our country. im glad you made it home safe pal and im sure everyone feels the same way i do.take care .
    Last edited by INTIMID8OR3; 12-13-2005 at 05:27 PM.

Met-Rx is offline Junior Member
    Makes me realize the things that the soldiers go through, and the freedom they fight for that we take for granted every day.

Anabolism is offline Junior Member
    Great post, bump.

great post buddie

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    bump..very nice post and poem

pcity is offline Junior Member
    great post!!

jade7 is offline New Member

decadbal is offline Banned
    Rangers Lead the Way

workdude is offline Senior Member
    Semper Fi...