samoth is offline Member

Elements 115 and 113 Found!!

"The new elements have provisionally been named ununtrium (113) and ununpentium (115). They will be given proper names if and when the discovery is confirmed."

http://www.nature.com/nsu/040202/040202-4.html

Also:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4131961/

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994628

http://physicsweb.org/article/news/8/2/1

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in597457.shtml

Not that anyone actually reads this forum....

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Ummmm....what does this mean?

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. Hopefully within my lifetime we will be able to stabilize some of these high Atomic Number elements to determine their potential uses.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    It means that helium will be all gone in 20 years. So use it up now. In 20 years, kids will have floatless balloons. THE HORROR.

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    It means that helium will be all gone in 20 years. So use it up now. In 20 years, kids will have floatless balloons. THE HORROR.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    Actually its true. Helium will be extinct in 20-30 years. There is only a limited supply and we are using it up.

Im curious how we could just FIND new elements. Where is element 114?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    they are made in labs by slamming small atoms into each other at very high speeds. but they only exist for fractions of a second. what will you see different from this development???? nothing

Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    they are made in labs by slamming small atoms into each other at very high speeds. but they only exist for fractions of a second. what will you see different from this development???? nothing

Actually it is a big development. If they keep the elements stabalized for longer than miliseconds, the benefits can be EXTRAordinary.
    Prototype rockets were developed years back with fusion power. The engine used a figure 8 design. Just harnessing a split second of that power, the rocket was able to fly half way across the country. WHEN, we develope the technology to continue the loop of the harnessed energy, we will truely be able to travel the stars.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Actually it is a big development. If they keep the elements stabalized for longer than miliseconds, the benefits can be EXTRAordinary.
    Prototype rockets were developed years back with fusion power. The engine used a figure 8 design. Just harnessing a split second of that power, the rocket was able to fly half way across the country. WHEN, we develope the technology to continue the loop of the harnessed energy, we will truely be able to travel the stars.
    the tricky part is keeping them stabalized. elements that heavy are not stable and split into lighter elements too quickly. simply harnessing any developments from this will be far too difficult for anybody here to see much benefit soon. as far as going to the stars I am all for it. But as humans we are limited by our short lifespan (in relation to just about everything else in the universe) our space travel is limited by our inability to survive long trips. this could easily get turned into a topic of time dilation, twin paradox etc. I am interested in these breakthroughs and developments from them. I just dont think its anything to party over.

Im just waiting for the day we clone dinosaurs with our super computers. Clone other prehistoric things and bring back diseases that make ebola look like a cold.

Watching discovery channel and seeing these people trace the black plague to grave sites and they are trying to remap the plagues DNA with computers so they can better understand it. How crazy is that. Whats the name of that flu that was quarintined in the 70s. I cant think right now. Even that disease is on ice right now.

Dont know what will come first. Creation of new elements or DNA generation.
    The hydrogen bomb was created when it was thought impossible.
    Splitting an atom was thought impossible.
    The atom being the smallest element in existance was proven wrong.
    The earth being round which still seems crazy. I will believe it when I see it.

LORDBLiTZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Whats that look for? Did I say something stupid????
    Or are you just complexed? For a canadian, its not hard to complex and confuse you guys. I mean, you had all this great land right under neath you guys and you just let us move on in and take it all from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Good thing you didnt look like indians or else we would have taken Canada too. Just like we took Texas and IRAQ.

QbHunter is offline Associate Member
    Or are you just complexed? For a canadian, its not hard to complex and confuse you guys. I mean, you had all this great land right under neath you guys and you just let us move on in and take it all from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Good thing you didnt look like indians or else we would have taken Canada too. Just like we took Texas and IRAQ.
    LMAO

samoth is offline Member
    Actually its true. Helium will be extinct in 20-30 years. 114?
    Umm... what?

I think most of us missed that announcement.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member

BAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHHA that has to be one of the funniest things you ever said..

samoth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    BAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHHA that has to be one of the funniest things you ever said..
    LOL, that is pretty funny! I've never heard anyone use the word 'complex' as a verb! HAHAHAHA!!!

P.S. It's 'complexify', although you cannot use it in that context within your sentence anyway.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    He used Complex as a verb.....that's mint.

Thread Information