samoth is offline Member

Rover Mission Extended

Summary - (Apr 11, 2004) NASA has extended the mission for its Mars Exploration Rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, after Spirit met the success criteria for its mission. It spent a total of 90 days roaming the surface of Mars, and traveled a total distance of 600 metres. Opportunity will achieve its successful mission on April 26. This extension includes an additional $15 million in funding to keep operating the rovers until September. Even though the mission has been approved until then, the rovers could last much longer on the surface of Mars.

Source: Universe Today

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Geez, seems like nasa has and endless budget for most of its projects huh? some people have commented that nasa would be better of spending the money wisely. I think that Nasa is one of the most overfunded government agencies with almost no return on investments but for some reason has remained afloat for almost half a century. Why is that?

Spoon

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Samoth, it's pretty interesting stuff they are finding.....are you hoping they'll eventually send maned missions someday? I'm kind of on the fence....I could see the US spending the monies in other places but I think exploration is a good thing.

decadbal is offline Banned
    NASA=biggest waste of taxpayers money in the entire US..

samoth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    with almost no return on investments
    No offence, but that is a very ignorant, uninformed reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Samoth, it's pretty interesting stuff they are finding.....are you hoping they'll eventually send maned missions someday?
    While it would be interesting, I am not really for or against it. I am more interested in mankind pushing the boundaries and bettering its collective self. On the experimental side, I am much more interested in elementary particle physics.

Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    NASA=biggest waste of taxpayers money in the entire US..
    decadbal, this is the second time you have posted this exact same opinion on one of my space threads in the News Forum here. Either say something constructive, or stay off threads of this nature. If you want to bicker, start a thread in the chat forum.

I ask this with respect, and as a favor to myself.

Thank you.

Thread Information