Buy Steroids



Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    AverageWorkouts is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58

    Protein before bed. Eggs and Whey ok?

    I read that whey isnt all that great to take before bed because its digested within 45 minutes and your muscles need something to feed them throughout the night.

    I have my protein spaced out and normally I take 48 grams of Whey before bed but after reading this I thought of an alternative and wanted to get some opinions on it.

    24 grams of Whey with 3 Eggs right before bed. Im still worried to eat that late but it doesnt hurt to try it for a week.

    Will this work out ok? I need the 24 grams of whey to fill out my daily protein needs and the 3 eggs can get me that last bit of protein and give my muscles something to munch on while I sleep.

  2. #2
    ilovesus's Avatar
    ilovesus is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    fl/pa.. Beatin cheeks!
    Posts
    565
    Egg whites are one of the best before bed! Youll wake up feeling nice and lean!!

  3. #3
    Prada's Avatar
    Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tampa,Montreal,Paris
    Posts
    5,218
    Your theory as to why not to take Whey pre-bed is correct. Try to achieve all you protein from slower digesting protein. Eggs and/or casein. I must say 3 eggs is quite minute, thats around 9g of protein. Try to take in more. If need be even add some fat, flax, PB etc.

    BTW: If you need 48grams to fulfill your protein macros and you are getting 24 from whey then 3 eggwhites will not suffice. You will still be short

  4. #4
    AverageWorkouts is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58
    Thanks for pointing that out prada was so focused on wether or not id get a little bed time Whey shake haha. Ill throw in 6 eggs as long as im allowed my little scoop of Whey before bed haha.

    If the whey is completely useless even with 6 eggs to keep my body busy all night then just say so and ill shift my diet around a tad and get that 24 G of Whey in earlier in the day.

  5. #5
    Dicknang's Avatar
    Dicknang is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    192
    [QUOTE=AverageWorkouts;3950477]

    24 grams of Whey with 3 Eggs right before bed. Im still worried to eat that late but it doesnt hurt to try it for a week.

    QUOTE]

    Don't be so worried about eating right before bed, especially if it's only protein. It's carbs that should not be eaten right before bedtime. Carbs will sit in your gut all nite and will turn to fat instead of being used for energy.

  6. #6
    ChuckLee's Avatar
    ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    My Guy's poophole
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknang View Post
    Don't be so worried about eating right before bed, especially if it's only protein. It's carbs that should not be eaten right before bedtime. Carbs will sit in your gut all nite and will turn to fat instead of being used for energy.
    True imo.

    CL

  7. #7
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    13,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknang View Post

    Don't be so worried about eating right before bed, especially if it's only protein. It's carbs that should not be eaten right before bedtime. Carbs will sit in your gut all nite and will turn to fat instead of being used for energy.
    Oh now come on. There isn't even logic behind that statement. It totally depends on your daily caloric values and how you spread them out. Nothing is a bad choice before bed, if you've planned for it. I cut and bulk and eat carbs before bed, and no I'm not an exception. What will screw up your progress is not having a plan in the first place.

    There is no harm in eating before bed seeing as nutrition is very important; fats for hormone synthesis and release, carbs for metabolic activity and protein for repair of more than just muscle. Eat before you go to bed in accordance with your daily macros and you will be fine.

  8. #8
    Prada's Avatar
    Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tampa,Montreal,Paris
    Posts
    5,218
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    Oh now come on. There isn't even logic behind that statement. It totally depends on your daily caloric values and how you spread them out. Nothing is a bad choice before bed, if you've planned for it. I cut and bulk and eat carbs before bed, and no I'm not an exception. What will screw up your progress is not having a plan in the first place.

    There is no harm in eating before bed seeing as nutrition is very important; fats for hormone synthesis and release, carbs for metabolic activity and protein for repair of more than just muscle. Eat before you go to bed in accordance with your daily macros and you will be fine.
    Bullseye! Not eating carbs prior to bed is misunderstood. As Nova explained if your body requires them then it will utilize them. Now, yes one can optimize nutrient timing and try to consume their daily required carbs prior to bed but if you body needs them then feed it.

  9. #9
    Panzerfaust's Avatar
    Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    8,663
    Wow...sounds like people who say "Just don't take in any carbs after 6pm".

    We are just busting your balls man but that statement is indeed false.

    Before bed, the better options if available would be egg whites, fat-free cottage cheese etc...

    I am using Whey right now because that is simply what I have to work with for now...already had 12 egg whites today...to damn lazy to cook another 6-7. haha
    ***No source checks!!!***

  10. #10
    Dicknang's Avatar
    Dicknang is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by novastepp View Post
    Oh now come on. There isn't even logic behind that statement. It totally depends on your daily caloric values and how you spread them out. Nothing is a bad choice before bed, if you've planned for it. I cut and bulk and eat carbs before bed, and no I'm not an exception. What will screw up your progress is not having a plan in the first place.

    There is no harm in eating before bed seeing as nutrition is very important; fats for hormone synthesis and release, carbs for metabolic activity and protein for repair of more than just muscle. Eat before you go to bed in accordance with your daily macros and you will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prada View Post
    Bullseye! Not eating carbs prior to bed is misunderstood. As Nova explained if your body requires them then it will utilize them. Now, yes one can optimize nutrient timing and try to consume their daily required carbs prior to bed but if you body needs them then feed it.

    Okay guys, consider this. Why do we eat carbs? Firstly we eat them for fuel, to get us throught the day and get us through our workouts. Secondly, we eat them to spike insulin in order to make good use of the protein we are ingesting.
    It is true, the body burns fuel during sleep, but nothing compared to when we are awake. It stands to reason then, that we do not need carbs before bed. Or if we do, only a minimum amount in order to help with the absorption of bedtime protein. Or, on the other hand, if our last meal before bed just happens to be our PWO meal, then yeah carbs are in order.

    It is true, Nova, that it depends on how you plan your daily macros. I believe a well planned diet will include a minimum of carbs before bed. Going to sleep with a gut full of bread, pasta, rice, or oats etc does not gel with me however.

    Maybe I am way off track with this, I will do a bit of research and maybe start a new thread. Sorry to hijack this one.

  11. #11
    mike954's Avatar
    mike954 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    655
    1 scoop casein protein
    2000mg L-Arginine-Ornithine
    1 teaspoon flax seed oil
    1 teaspoon l-glutamine
    Melatonin
    mixed with water

  12. #12
    AverageWorkouts is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58
    Great info from this thread. Had my frist Egg whites today ( was having full eggs ) n its not to bad so my final decision is...

    5 Egg whites 1 full egg and 1 scoop ( 24g ) of Whey Protein.

  13. #13
    Kratos's Avatar
    Kratos is offline I feel accomplished
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    34,255
    egg whites before bed yes
    Whey not so much

  14. #14
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    13,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknang View Post
    Okay guys, consider this. Why do we eat carbs? Firstly we eat them for fuel, to get us throught the day and get us through our workouts.

    all food serves this exact purpose.

    Secondly, we eat them to spike insulin in order to make good use of the protein we are ingesting.

    insulin is not "spiked" if you eat carbs. even very high GI carbs do not provide much of a "spike" it's more of a response and still, steady insulin levels help maintain lean mass and prime your body for fat burning throughout the day. essentially is insulin levels stay mediated then all you have to manipulate is your activity and meal timing.

    It is true, the body burns fuel during sleep, but nothing compared to when we are awake.

    the human body has two sleep stages when your metabolic function and brain activity are higher than they are when you're awake.

    It stands to reason then, that we do not need carbs before bed. Or if we do, only a minimum amount in order to help with the absorption of bedtime protein. Or, on the other hand, if our last meal before bed just happens to be our PWO meal, then yeah carbs are in order.

    It is true, Nova, that it depends on how you plan your daily macros. I believe a well planned diet will include a minimum of carbs before bed.

    i don't agree with this at all. in my experience and in various literature consuming carbs is the best way to replenish glycogen over a shorter amount of time, and continue protein synthesis.

    Going to sleep with a gut full of bread, pasta, rice, or oats etc does not gel with me however.

    Maybe I am way off track with this, I will do a bit of research and maybe start a new thread. Sorry to hijack this one.
    there are threads about this already. in fact if you stroll over to the thread Nark started about performance nutrition there are various articles already sighted that explain this more.

  15. #15
    Dicknang's Avatar
    Dicknang is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    192
    Ok Nova, I see what you mean and I see the logic behind it all. Are you saying that no carbs before bed might in actual fact work to my detriment? Could no carbs before bed mean lower insulin levels throughout the night? If so, I see how that would effect my recovery/muscle gains etc. I think I am beginning to see your point my friend. God I hate being proved wrong lol! So what you consider to be a decent final meal for the day? What does your last meal consist of say, when bulking?

  16. #16
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    13,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknang View Post
    Ok Nova, I see what you mean and I see the logic behind it all. Are you saying that no carbs before bed might in actual fact work to my detriment? Could no carbs before bed mean lower insulin levels throughout the night? If so, I see how that would effect my recovery/muscle gains etc. I think I am beginning to see your point my friend. God I hate being proved wrong lol! So what you consider to be a decent final meal for the day? What does your last meal consist of say, when bulking?
    no no, carbs are not necessarily required. but they are is no need to avoid them. it definitely depends on the diet you are subscribing to. myself I try to have carbs in every single meal when cutting (so yes before bed) to keep insulin levels steady and for a personal reason (it keeps me very strict).

    when bulking my diet rarely changes from the one I use to cut. all i do is up my calories. however, i occasionally will have a cup of fat free cottage cheese and 3 tablespoons of natural peanut butter before bed. that is just my personal choice. throughout the day i have pro/carb meals.

    so really, not eating before bed would be the detrimental part. and as far as what would be a beneficial last meal. that totally depends on your diet and where you see your macros fitting into it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •